Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #91  

My nest-guarding vigil has begun. A hawk flew across the street this morning. I am praying the dove parents can tolerate all the noise & activity, even before the workers get in proximity.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #92  

We decided they would return in a week to finish the work in the courtyard. There's plenty to do in the rest of the property. I'll still need to keep watch, but the chicks will be fairly well-insulated by feathers by then. Meanwhile they have severed a line, and /or blown a fuse. Part of the house is without power. There was such an overgrowth of lovely trees, with big branches resting on the roof. I would have hired an arborist, but these guys did their best and go a lot done. The carpet guys were good, and avoided the nest as well. And laid carpet nicely as far as I can tell. And replaced the one item I requested, the sofa. So I am back in a comfort zone for a little longer. They said the newer carpets do not outgas. I opened all the sliding glass doors, a/c vent, everything, and suddenly the landscapers decided to do the blower to move the debris around. Meanwhile no internet and people were responding to all the free furniture ads. The day is still young

For lunch, I had the rest of the rotiiserie chicken and veggies with 100 Isl dsg. Landscapers still working in 90deg weather. energy co sent someone out to fix severed line and trim back a tree. Thinking about dinner but mostly looking forward to getting out. Dove still on nest after an extremely noisy day. Mama dove will relieve him soon. Once crew leaves, I'm heading home to a cool night's sleep.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Sundove: Keeping you in my thoughts
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #94  

Thanks, IPN I hope you’re doing well.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-11-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #95  

This is more a birdwatching than a calorie counter's journal I guess they are inextricably linked for me, for now anyway. Sleeping in my own bed, laundry, checking on things, etc., and getting a night's sleep in the cool salt water air has renewed me. I think I will need to do this every couple of nights for now. So much for limiting carbon footprint. In my defense, I am bringing many many things to my county to recycle that, left to real estate agents, would end up in landfill. My county has a free household hazmat recycling that I haven't been able to find where I am now, and free ecycling, even speakers.

I feel a little leaner, ie out of carb bloat and carb foggy brain. All I need to do is stick to that and 3 meals, no snacks and I'll gradually lose while feeling great. When I'm ready, I can move to a more rigorous plan. I can see that readiness on the horizon.

The important stuff, breakfast of protein shake and coffee. I'm ready for a meal now.

I'm back in birdland and continuing to clear out. The garage yielded some dusty treasures including a Dave Berg book (Mad Magazine) from the early 196os; a WWII sound insulating cap, like an aviator's cap. My Dad was a radio signalman on a Liberty ship bound for Japan, so I'm not sure how this came to be in the garage. A big brass thing for firewood with clawfeet. Meanwhile posting things on freecycle and nextdoor.

Big project is I plan to do as much as I can of the courtyard work where the doves are myself instead of having the demolition derby landscapers do it. I am capable of ripping out a few big shrubs. The realtors want to power wash, and some shrubbery needs to be trimmed back from window to complete trim-painting. I'll ask Home Depot how to do that with clippers. I can wash and detail windows and screen very quietly. Scrubbing moss from composite concrete will be the hardest thing, and I'll bet Home Depot can help me with that. The realtors want to put bark, which may not be ideal for the baby birds when they first leave the nest. Maybe better to leave soil that they can peck in, like their predecessors. Realtors will love that I can do little bits of this at a time without spooking the doves, then retreat into the air-conditioned family room. Plotting all of this out here on 3FC completely took my mind off breakfast. Thank-you 3FC and peeps who read here!

Denny's served me a garden salad with chicken, avo, Italian vinaigrette on the side and a diet coke. I got too hungry to figure out something to bring in. I'm doing well when there is no food at hand.

I cleared out a lot of dead, diseased, or just overgrown vegetation with a little hand clipper. Friend bringing big stuff tomorrow. Neighbors would, but it entails conversation, and right now I'm tapped out. Papa dove tolerated it well. It's delightful how other critters communicate and teach us about themselves. including pets. I know this dove doesn't mind me going back and forth often, doesn't mind a single group of laughing and talking women passing by, and gets wary when large things go past the nest or when 2 or more people and activity near the nest lasts more than few minutes.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 AM   #96  

I spent a while in Home Depot learning about hand washing concrete and which tools to get. I got home and noticed the nest was without an adult. Yikes. My hubris about my ability to sense their tolerance went out the window. I called the wildlife hospital & animal control to figure out if the nest was abandoned or not and whether the chicks could survive the night without a parent's warmth. No one could tell me how long to wait before doing something. After a while I stepped outside because someone was coming who wanted my parents' bedroom furniture. And I saw 2 adult doves perched on an overhead wire. After a while, I checked the nest and mom was on it. The guy taking the furniture turned out to be incredibly nice, the nice that reminds you there are good people in the world. The juxtaposition of the bedroom set and the doves being ok changed the feeling tone of the house-emptying in a big and positive way.

Was so busy chatting with furniture guy and on the phone with SIL that I didn't eat until almost 10p-yay! Cauli tater tots and chicken thighs.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #97  

Monday was hot & hectic. Food was protein shake, coffee, chicken thighs and veggies. Late dinner of frozen vegs/butter. Later I had a protein bar and mixed nuts that hit the spot. Fluids were practically none, oops.

Last night in my own bed. Today back to the front.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #98  

Food is ok, but I'm not bragging. So far I feel I'm out of the crazy pattern. But it is easy to slip in a little extra treats here and there, and suddenly that wonderful feeling of leanness and mental acuity are out the window. I'm bordering on that today. My indulgences have been mild--nuts and a protein bar yesterday; repeat forays to fridge for pulled chicken breast with BBQ Ranch dressing. The dressing isn't too sugar-laden, and with angel-hair shredded cabbage, it's the best.

All is quiet in doveland. The parent is sitting to the side so that the chicks are visible--little fluffy things. While in my bedroom, I saw 2 doves peering in, from the fence. They did a courtship dance.

Today, after coffee/shake, I ate a bag of cabbage, a package of pulled chicken breast, but not sure how much, maybe 3/4 lb. Kinder BBQ Ranch dressing. A protein bar, some watermelon. Going out now with bro & SIL. I'll probably eat but right now I know I don't need anymore food. My heart needs some, perhaps.

Doves left kids for a bit on this hot day. The chicks' heads are now visible. A parent returned to feed them just now. What a delight it is to watch them. I've managed to do most of the trimming and shrub removal, and keep the painters away from them. The power washing will be challenging and I just don't enjoy it much. Real estate agents brought some people to look at house ahead of time. Day by day I have been going through every single item, packing off furniture, heirlooms, knickknacks, hauling donations, giving things to friends, posting on giveaway social media, hauling hazmat,. I let go little by little. But it is hitting me like a ton of bricks that I soon will leave for the last time. It's too soon and feels all wrong. I am not especially spiritual but i wonder if someone's spirit energy needs time to leave their home, after death. Good to write this out.

Last edited by Sundove; 08-13-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #99  

A whirlwind couple of days with bro, SIL sharing house now. So glad to have reinforcements, and someone to handle the legal and business side of things. Eating went off track wit their arrival.
Mourning dove nest so far so good. The 2 chicks have grown so much their faces with big dark eyes can be seen. The insulating feathers have come in quickly. Soon the flight feather s will come in.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM   #100  

Ditto to last post. Bro & SIL leaving today. Will be so glad to get back to better eating routine. Doves getting ready to fledge. Adult perched on handrail looking up at nest, as if indicating to chicks that this is where they should think about being soon. One chick is bigger than the other. I'm so glad the heat wave is over for now.

shake and coffee
.25 lb mixed nuts, protein bar
chicken, shredded cabbage, BBQ Ranch dressing

Last edited by Sundove; Yesterday at 08:59 PM.