Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #1  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Should I switch it up?

I have been sticking to 1200-1300 calories since I started calorie counting in May. I have lost some but now I am standing still, its only been a week but I feel like no matter what I do its sticking to 199! So do you think I should lower my calories just for today and see what it does? Hopefully switching it up will get me moving again? Yesterday I did 1530 calories and I'm still at 199 so if I lower it I'm hoping something will move lol
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #2  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Try staying at the same calories but changing how much protein/carb/fats you are getting....plus up the water intake a little. When the weather is warmer we need a little more water to do the trick! Good luck. Your doing great!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

1200-1300 seems so low for someone your height. Can you add some interval training to your exercise instead? Or begin some strength training? Or move to less processed foods? I don't know what you're already doing.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Dawn,

I don't remember but I believe I read that you're working out quite a bit. I "gained" four pounds this week. LOL When you lift, water "collects" at the muscles and it shows up on the scales.

With all due respect, I must say that you need to stop freaking out about this scale issue and start focusing on the efforts. The results will come. The number is nothing. If you know your food is clean, if you know you're at 70% of your MHR, then what's the question? The scale doesn't know you. It doesn't know fat from water from bones from muscle.

Let it go a bit, ya think? And let the science work for you.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

In my humble experience, it's not what you do on any one day, but what you do day after day, or at least frequently, that makes the difference. So, dropping your calories low for one day may not do anything at all, or your weight could go down, or your weight could go up!

Try for consistency. I don't mean exactly the same number of calories every day--but I do mean not letting the variation get too wide. In other words, if your target is 1300 (which seems a bit low for someone your size who is actively exercising), try to stay close to that. Rather than, say, eating 1000 calories one day and 1600 cals the next. Some folks find this sort of zooming works for them--for me, all it seems to do is stall weight loss.

Just some ideas! Congratulations on your loss so far!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

I would not freak out about a one week stall. If you have stuck to your plan and done a good job with both eating and exercise, the weight will drop.

Now is a good time to practice not being so scale obsessed.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I also agree with Jay that 1300 seems a little low for someone at your weight. I have my goal set at 1500 and seem to lose quite well on that (usually fluctuating between 1400 and 1600 on any given day).

And yeah, it's not a daily thing. What you eat today will likely NOT show up on the scale tomorrow. It might not even show up until Thurs or Fri. Unless it's water retention from salt, which, unfortunately rears it's ugly head literally overnight for many of us!

Keep plugging away and it will happen if you stick on plan. It really will. Sometimes you just have to walk away from the scale and give your body time to catch up.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #8  
FB

Shoot, I haven't changed much in... 19 days. That's by the numbers on the scale. I bounce all around, it'd make you dizzy! However, my tape measure says otherwise, my fit of my clothes says otherwise, My appearance says otherwise, my progress at the gym says otherwise, my endurance on the bike says otherwise. I'm working at this and working hard in every aspect and my body is changing. For the better.

I don't want to come off as harsh, I wish you could insert a kindly tone into posts... but your husband was right on when he hid your scale. You've been way too focused on the numbers and you're letting it get to you. Ask him to hide it again.

I too weigh in often, but I will not let it get to me. I can't control water weight fluctuations but I can control what I do. That's the most important part. Accept it and continue doing an awesome job!

AbsoluteDiva is absolutely right on in her post!

Last edited by FB; 07-07-2008 at 03:37 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #9  
~*Dawn*~

Not coming off harsh at all, I just wanted some advice on when, how, if I should switch it up or keep going,!!! Maybe I should have him hide the scale again but like I said, the scale keeps me going *sigh*
Old 07-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #10  
FB

I understand! I don't remember your exercise routine. Could you share it with us as well? Do you track your cals with software? If so could you share your carb/protein/fat ratio? Perhaps by giving us insight into your cals and activity we could better help. You likely may not be eating enough for your activity levels.

Last edited by FB; 07-07-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #11  
~*Dawn*~

As far as activity, I don't really exercise a lot. I do on the weekends for about 15-20 minutes and during the week I do home daycare so its whatever happens that day, happens lol

This is for today... Carbs 90 Fat 18 Protein 56 thats without a snack and I'll probably have a snack later lol
Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Dawn,

For some reason, I thought you skated. Anyway, I don't sweat the scale. I know what I'm doing and if IT doesn't, that's ITS problem.

But you really need to hit the gym and put your scale energy into that. You will never achieve any sustainable success if you don't work out REGULARLY. And REGULARLY means three to four times a week, weights and cardio, for at least an hour at a time.

Last edited by AnAbsoluteDiva; 07-07-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Misspelled any
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
But you really need to hit the gym and put your scale energy into that. You will never achieve any sustainable success if you don't work out REGULARLY. And REGULARLY means three to four times a week, weights and cardio, for at least an hour at a time.
Sign my name to this. Eventually your body gets accustomed to eating less and you will hit stall points. The only thing that will move you forward is regular, sustained exercise of some type. Even if you can just fit in 10 or 15 mins a couple times a day of body resistance type of stuff, and some brisk walking ... or a short workout DVD ... that will help a great deal.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #14  
FB

Jammy is the skater girl around these parts!

Anyhow, try a walk at night for starters Dawn. That's much easier (and healthier) than restricting your calories further. I know it's easier said than done with a busy life, but make the time for yourself. Build up in time as you progress, make it a routine - you WILL see results!

Last edited by FB; 07-07-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

[QUOTE=FB;2258884]Shoot, I haven't changed much in... 19 days. That's by the numbers on the scale. I bounce all around, it'd make you dizzy! However, my tape measure says otherwise, my fit of my clothes says otherwise, My appearance says otherwise, my progress at the gym says otherwise, my endurance on the bike says otherwise. I'm working at this and working hard in every aspect and my body is changing. For the better.QUOTE]

I TOTALLY agree! I was thinking these same thoughts this morning because I am starting to obsess over the numbers not moving. It will come off in time. I feel better already and that is all that matters
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote