Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #106  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

All Right! Now THIS is some teamwork! That's more like it Black Team!

And one more from me...and I think Julz said something like this too, several weeks ago:

Ladies, Personals- shcmersonals, I mean I love them, and its great if you have the time, but I'm interested in how y'all are doing so don't worry at all if you can't say something to everyone or even ANYONE! If you want to say something to one person, do it! Doesn't mean you are ignoring everyone else. Tell us how YOU are doing, we are interested. I, for one am reading! By the end of this challenge I guarantee we will know each other if we keep posting regularly. And if it's a time choice between computer chatting and exercise...GO EXERCISE!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #107  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

And on that note...

Thanks Purple! Its been a struggle to make that scale move!

dangerouscurves you go girl! You can do it!

theresia Now I'm curious what your native tongue is...if you have time to answer that is and you're doing fine by the way! I can understand you, no problem!

ggmugsy thanks for the YUMMY looking recipe, I'm gonna try it! Who knew?

A low fat CARBONARA folks, over on the healthy eating on the beach thread, and lots of good bok choy recipes too!

JuliaHood you are doing fantastic! Noticed your stats when I was posting mine today

Smurf I will take your word for it and try the cottage cheese combos, what the heck? I DO like cottage cheese on baked potato, thanks for reminding me. And, um...BTW....how's that exercise coming along?

And now, I am out of time for a couple more hours!

Everyone else

Good work team, keep it up!!

Last edited by Manick; 05-21-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #108  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmugsy View Post

1) You do not have to weigh in on the same day each week. If you KNOW you are going to have a weight gain due to TOM or a night out, or whatever, it is perfectly acceptable to weigh in on an earlier day. (It is NOT acceptable to change a weigh in, however.)

2) You do not need to use your first weight of the morning weight. If I'm puffy and maybe feeling a little like I need a REALLY GOOD trip to the restroom . . . if you catch my drift . . . I'll have a couple of cups of coffee, chug a tall glass or two of water, and just wait for a few hours. Voila . . . 1.5 - 2 pounds flushed away.

3) Last chance workouts can really change your weight! They do it on the show and we can do it, too. I can drop 1.5 pounds after a hard workout.

Ahhh... for some reason, I thought it had to be on the same day of the week and at the same time!!! Well, it's nice to know this because this will help me a lot with posting my weight around TOM!
Last time I checked after a workout was 196.8, which was yesterday...and I have been hoping it will stay that way or lose more till Monday (my weigh-in day) although when I checked this morning, I gained 0.8 since then. So should I just post 196.8? hehe... :P
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 170/162/136

Height: 5'5

I did yoga instead of pilates. I hurt my back doing yard work today and thought the yoga would help it a bit. Thank you Manick for keeping me accountable and do try those combos they are YUMMY!

So I had a very busy evening had 4 people drop in to visit or to ask favors of me-gotta love a small town no one uses the phone here-I love it-plus I had my scout group come help me plan a tree and play soccer it was great fun.

I am now going to watch my Criminal Minds and do my comercial weight work out. It adds up and by the end of an hour long show I have gotten a good strengthening workout.

Hope you all have a great evening. I may not be around much tomorrow with the inlaws coming for dd graduation we are hoping to be out and about most of the day, but you better believe that come Friday I am in for some good ol' catching up and relaxing
Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #110  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

smurf: I *love* cottage cheese on my baked potatoes, I always have it that way. Yummy!

Well, today was a better day. I stayed on plan! I did a lot of housework/packing today, too, so I got some exercise in. Nothing crazy like you gung ho'ers but I am trying. Tomorrow, I will be doing a lot of walking around, we are going to Seaworld. I will try to stay on plan too.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 210/190/175

ggmugsy-I do have to say well said and just what I needed to get my butt in gear!!!!! Thanks

smurf2110- I am with you I love cottage cheese whether it is plain (with salt n pepper) or with my salad, I have never tryed it with baked potato but I am not a big baked potato eater. But I do love cottage cheese.

purple - that is so sad and it does really make you think about alot of things. Thanks for sharing the story.

theresia- I am also anxious to know what language you speak as well, and I do have to agree with Manick you are doing just fine.

Well hope everyone has a great night, and good night talk to you tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #112  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Good day all,

I started this early today while waiting for a delivery. I've got friends coming tonight, so I'll likely post it later on in the evening (before bedtime), but I still thought it would be nice to play catch up with a few personals. Tomorrow will start the mad planting season (well, buying tomorrow, and depending on the forecast start planting tomorrow or Friday). It's really quite cold here today, so I'm hoping that the warming trend of the next few days is a good sign. Most of what I'll plant can take the cool weather, just not a really cold night just after being planted.

Great answers on the question. I thought afterwards I shouldn't have said the one thing, but it was to some extent to make me think about what the most important one was. If I don't see another question along my way here today I'll try and think of another one.

Barb - congrats on being the biggest loser for the black team last week. And that's a wonderful thing (being under 300). Long may it continue.

Teresia - I've heard it said a lot - you can't out-train a bad diet. I do think it's true. Most of the weight loss comes from your diet. The only thing that my exercising has done is allowed me to keep up my calorie levels higher than I have before. I feel strong when exercising, as opposed to before when I would just try dieting. On the chocolate front, is there something you can find so that you can work a little chocolate into your diet? I know I can't keep foods I crave around, but perhaps planning for a little something every now and then might help it control you less?

Trooworld - the cooking is just something I have to do (to keep on track). I'm lucky in that we have a standing freezer, and a second fridge/freezer in the garage. The fridge/freezer is kind of the fall back unit, as it's old and you never know. However, it's great for throwing the bulk veggies in when you get home.

Oh, I should mention that I put the recipe and a picture of my first 'new lunch' on my recipe site this morning. If anyone is interested you can find it here: http://realcdn-recipes.blogspot.com/ (You can click on the picture to see a larger version.)

Misty - the HRM is probably fairly accurate. We're about the same weight and I get 300-350 for 30 mins on the treadmill (not a fast walk, but always with a decent incline on it). My strength training, which includes a bit of cardio before/after usually runs about 600+ as well for an hour. As to snacks, mine during the day are usually nuts (almond/soy nuts) and protein shakes. The protein shakes are mainly because I'm trying to keep my protein levels up. They do, however, tend to curb my appetite as well.

Manick - I understand completely about wanting to remain private. I'm facing that on another board I'm on. I want to join a challenge they're starting in August, but the requirement is monthly pictures to show progress. I don't think anyone would be mean about it (most are quite fit, and are working on those last few pounds), but it's quite scary to consider it.

Laurie -
hope the audit is going well (and next week continues that trend). You've actually made me not miss being at work with just the thought of audits!

Nixmom -
maintaining weight on a vacation is fantastic. I remember years ago being away for three weeks and coming back just two pounds higher. It was a huge deal since the first two weeks was spent on a cruise ship (and they are just brutal with food choices).

Ceegee - maybe someone has said it already, but have you had a body composition done? If you're doing a lot of exercise, you might be at the point where you're not going to lose much. I've been trying to get a bodpod test (air instead of water) done here, but it seems almost impossible. For me though at the moment it doesn't matter much, but for you, it might be a good idea.

Reda355 - I always figure that people just kind of lose interest in keeping up with things. That's a bad sign when you're trying to lose weight though. I think that any of us who make it through the challenge (regardless of the outcome) will have a better chance of making our goals in the long run.

Just keep swimming - I don't know why, but lately I seem to have avoided those horrible TOM swings I used to get (fingers crossed).

Tara - I'm laughing at your answer because my neck and back are killing me at the moment... although that's from my strength training today. So it's a much better thing, well, kind of.

Glitterlicious - you can subscribe to the forum for the challenges and then use your control panel as the bookmark. It took me a while to figure out that this was the fastest way to get where I wanted to go. You can also subscribe to the thread directly, but then you'll have to make a point to subscribe to the next one when started.

ggmugsy - those were good hints you gave. I may switch to Monday's after I work out in the morning starting this week. I usually weigh in first thing after (ummm) the 2nd restroom break of the morning.

Monique - my larger losses are usually followed by a very small loss the next week. Somehow I end up with an average loss of ~ 2lbs. If one week is high, the next one tends to be low. I suppose it's the body fighting back.

Jenjen (and to others lurking) - just drop in and tell us how your day is going. Personals take time, which I seem to have every now and then. Having said all that, sometimes I just drop it, blether for a bit, and wander off.

Gamburu - I'd think that shift working must make staying on plan even harder. I know when I worked afternoons I would make a big meal at lunch, and sometimes get sucked into chipping in for dinners at 7 or 8pm as well. I hope you're doing better with it than I did.

Well, my friends are gone (that's the good thing about weeknight dinners), so I'll get this posted. We usually do this on a weekend (around the long holiday) and usually on the patio. Schedules just didn't allow for it this time, so rather than put it off we did it mid-week. This kept the time much shorter than it usually goes, but it was still nice. Now I need to go to sleep so I can get up early and get going with the plant buying!

The planting to be done likely means I'll be scarce over the next few days (with 50+ pots to plant and a veggie patch to put in...). I will try and drop in even if it's just to say a quick hello though. And since I'll be posting this later in the evening, maybe I'll take a crack at a question for tomorrow. Let me think....

"What have you discovered on your weight loss journey that surprises you?"

My answer - that I love lifting weights. Although I also enjoying working up a sweat on the treadmill as well, the strength training completely fascinates me. It wears me out, and I sometimes feel uncoordinated, but in the end I really enjoy it. I can see me doing this forever, not just to lose weight.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #113  

Height: 5'8"

I just read the weekly results - honestly, I cannot keep up with the threads and I didn't even know they were posted regularly in their own thread (I guess I just thought there were a few of you on the A list...! ) Anyway, I think some of you have some great ideas to unify us and get us to where we should be!

As for me...well, I feel like I am doing well but I am a little discouraged. My scale broke right at the beginning of the challenge and that threw me a bit off...got over that, though. I do feel like I am doing what I need to do - eating well and exercising regularly - so I am disappointed I have not lost more. I am a teacher so once school is out I am going to reevaluate my intake (again...sigh...) 'cause I really don't think it is my output - I am going to a boot camp that is totally and completely kicking my butt!

Ladies keep up the good work and lets show them what the black team can do!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #114  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
I am a teacher so once school is out I am going to reevaluate my intake (again...sigh...) 'cause I really don't think it is my output.
I'm not saying this is your problem. However, for everyone who calorie counts, this might be worth the few minutes to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I admit that I still use spoons and cups, although I've always leveled them and paid attention. As well, when I do my large batch cooking I always weigh ingredients and divide using my scale.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #115  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Anne, I was actually down today, first day of TOM, so I just posted my weigh-in today instead of risking the scale going up later in the week. Hopefully I will see an even bigger loss next week.

Looks like we've got some serious team spirit going on, ladies! Let's keep it up!

Last edited by just keep swimming; 05-22-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #116  
Go BLACK Team!!

S/C/G: 251/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

OK ladies (and gents?), I can't help but jump in now in the midst of all this team spirit. I've been a little intimidated because I felt like the "newbie"... but no longer! I promise to be a more active participant in these weekly/daily chats!

So, real quick... I'm Missy, 28 years old, stay-at-home-mom to 1 little boy (Jayden, who will be 2 next month). I'm a MEGA Emotional Eater, but I've really become aware of it lately and am seriously working on dealing with it.

I've had a pretty good week so far. I'm a little nervous about the weekend though, as we're going to Portland to visit family and this will be the first time since re-committing to this healthy lifestyle that I will be away from home and not be in charge of preparing the meals. We'll be at my parents house though and they eat fairly healthy (except for my dad's cookie obsession.. UGH) and I will be bringing my tennis shoes and some workout clothes and plan on at least doing some walking around their neighborhood. It really helps knowing that I need to check in with all of you and record my exercise in the Exercise Challenge thread.

OK, that's it for now... but I promise to check in more often! I really look forward to getting to know you ALL much better. Go BLACK TEAM!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 153/148/140

Height: 5'7

I am from Sweden, So I speak Swedish.. I know a bit spanish to.. Today I weigh in for the "5 pound challenge" (in the challenge forum).. And I was down to 148!!! Have been in 150 those last days!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #118  
Can't wait till 170

Hey Just keep swimming, that's a good strategy. I think I will be doing that from now on, too... That will help the team, too. I saw 196.8 the other day on the scale, which means I lost 11.2 total so far! I have been debating if I should post that or not...sigh. TOM tricked me last week, too... so hopefully it will be better this week. Lower than 196.8 would give me loss of more than 2 lbs! =) Congrats on losing during TOM, though!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #119  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Wow, you're doing awesome, Tara! It is tricky deciding whether to post a weigh-in early or not, but I figure if I happen to get lucky and lose more this week, that will just give me a bigger loss for next week's weigh-in. If that makes any sense...

Out of curiosity (and I think someone might have asked this earlier; if so, sorry), is it OK to wait until Monday and just post whatever your lowest weight for the week was (if you weighed multiple times), even if that's not your weight on Monday? I mean, I know no one would know if I did that, but is it sort of on your honor that you don't? I'm just not sure if there's a rule about that.

Last edited by just keep swimming; 05-22-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #120  
Can't wait till 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by just keep swimming View Post
Wow, you're doing awesome, Tara! It is tricky deciding whether to post a weigh-in early or not, but I figure if I happen to get lucky and lose more this week, that will just give me a bigger loss for next week's weigh-in. If that makes any sense...

Out of curiosity (and I think someone might have asked this earlier; if so, sorry), is it OK to wait until Monday and just post whatever your lowest weight for the week was (if you weighed multiple times), even if that's not your weight on Monday? I mean, I know no one would know if I did that, but is it sort of on your honor that you don't? I'm just not sure if there's a rule about that.

Oh, it makes a perfect sense. And I was wondering the same thing... about the lowest weight. I sometimes weigh little bit more on Monday (which happens to be my official weigh-in day) because I eat Korean food over the weekends and they tend to have higher sodium=water retention. . .

**I just posted your question on FAQ thread...hope you don't mind. I was going to write it on my own, but thought you made a perfect sense...and if I tried to write it out... no one would've understood me... After all, English is not my "first" language. lol.

Last edited by taragettingthin; 05-22-2008 at 02:34 AM.