Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 10:58 AM   #16  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday's day off was wise. I was exhausted by the time it ended with two meetings in two days and two sets of errands yesterday. I managed some self-care activities plus a fair amount of watching shows that I find absorbing.

Right now, I'm enjoying Vera on Amazon Prime. DH and I are watching Emily in Paris. We usually watch movies together and series separately. Once in a while, though, we'll come across a series that is more fun to watch together. Emily in Paris is frothy and fun and enjoyable for the setting. We get to relive our trip to France in 2013.

I'm going to push today to meet my goals for the week. Here's my reminder that desk work does not require extra calories.

Exercise +70, 130/1600 minutes for February

Wings123: I like your Advantages cards. I read mine for years. Eventually, I internalized them, but I pick them up when I'm struggling. Pain turned out to be a revelation for me. I now know that if I weigh over 220, I have pain nearly every day. At 190, I have pain almost no days. Well, that was true for several years. Now that I'm 60, I seem to have a problem every few months, but still an average day is a no-pain day. I hope you have similar results.

karenrn: Your trip sounds terrific. I love how much you get live like a local. I've rarely achieved that during travel.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches,

I took a half day. I missed the assembly on purpose. All three of my classes are watching and dissecting Animal Farm. Great message about the requirements for a working democracy. I have decided to become a co -teacher teacher for the semester. I have never done this before as I don't like to give control over to anybody. But since this is about it for me I feel it might be good to pass on some hard earned wisdom. The "student" is very interesting on paper - not a kid, a PHD in Philosophy from British Columbia who was a professor in Alabama. While. There has to be a story there. fingers cross it is worthwhile.

Food was good today. Box checker yoghurt and soup. Commitment to yoga today. tomorrow a two hour trip to Redding to get my haircut. My buddy and I go together so it is a vey social day. I wanted it done before Italy

Karen: Welcome home. Your trip sounds wonderful While you were away I decided my retirement date would be 6/2024. Part of the reason was to get as fit as you !!!!!.
Joy: I should start the Emily in Paris again. I just did the first few episodes. I am rewatching Ted Lasso with DH and watching Ginny and Georgia on Netflix while I correct. It is a little annoying but distracting.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:00 PM   #18  

Thanks so much for your helpful comments on my post! I thought again about what treat I could have available that would not encourage overeating. I bought PB powder, fruit juice sweetened jelly and rice cakes. If you mix up the powder with the jelly it's pretty amazing, especially if you haven't been eating full fat peanut butter on the regular. Put it on a rice cake and it's pretty darn good without being something I will binge on.

Good for you travelers. I have trouble getting out of my zip code.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:45 PM   #19  

Just started the Beck, so excited.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:16 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - King Richard the Lionheart ransomed for 150,000 silver marks (1194)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - As predicted, it's -10 degrees F right now with wind chill of -33 degrees F. Standing near a window is like standing near an open fridge. But the prediction is for it to warm up to +18 degrees F as the day goes on. And up to 48 degrees F on Sunday, tomorrow. We're fine, indoors. I cringe for all the "rough sleepers" in the city. DW had asked me to take photos of the thermometers when I got up since the -10 isn't expected to sit around for long.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with too much daytime snacking. I'm un-inclined to go for a walk today. Yes, I know the theory that I have enough warm clothes - maybe I can even find the full cover balaclava that I haven't used in years. And that walking briskly will warm me up. I suspect that it'll send me off to buy a warmer winter coat, a coat that's worthy of an arctic expedition. One of those antarctic tours is high on my Bucket List. Maybe I need to rethink that. But then again, the ship always loans you the warm outer wear and sells you as part of the cost a thick, down-like, under layer so that you can't feel cold.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL "that desk work does not require extra calories." One would think that extra brain activity is burning calories by the pound.

maryann - Congrats for making the decision to be a co-teacher teacher. It's easy to see the difficulty of having two captains of one small ship. Love the notion that a PhD professor sees the value of teaching high school.

Wings123 - Your powdered peanut butter and jelly on rice cake does sound like a satisfying chunk of food for few calories. And, it doesn't sound addictive - like Halloween candy.

margot.taylor.ww - Neat to be starting the Beck book. Which one are you reading? We tend to serve as Diet Buddy or Diet Coach to each other and welcome you aboard. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

The Travel Calories Decision

Decide what your rule will be. In your Diet Notebook under "Travel Plan," write either:
  • I am making the choice to follow my regular Think Thin Eating Plan. OR
  • My rule for traveling is:
    I can have up to ______ extra calories (fill in a number up to 300 or so) on up to ______ days (fill in a number between 1 and 7). I can eat these extra calories only if I have planned to do so in advance. I can't use them spontaneously.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 159.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:04 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave. I got busy yesterday am and ran out of time to post, and this morning one of the toilets has frozen-its more exposed to the elements, as we converted a porch into a 4 season room and a half bath. I left the sink running last night and that seems okay, but I guess I didn't leave the heat on enough, darn it. This did happen once before and pouring hot water managed to do the trick, so i'll try that along with cranking up the heat. Wish me luck! As Bill said, the cold snap should end tomorrow thankfully.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:46 AM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

I'm pleased with the results of my first week of this strength-training program on YouTube. My back muscles feel stronger and it didn't cause a relapse of the pain I experienced a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that stronger muscles will be preventative for that kind of soft tissue pain with unexplained causes.

Exercise +60, 190/1600 minutes for February
Old 02-04-2023, 03:19 PM   #23  

I'm officially starting the diet today after the 2 week intro. I really don't want to plan ahead with food or write it down. But I'm doing it. Also did my exercise routine. Happy weekend to all!
Old 02-04-2023, 08:29 PM   #24  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Last night I inexplicably ate an extra quesadilla and naan. I never remember that the craving is caused by a body that doesn't want me to lose, just maintain. I will write and advantage card - no good comes from after hours eating.

Greger box checker breakfast this morning. Yoga tonight.

Joy: thanks for the strength training link. I book marked it.
Sorry to hear about the cold snap. We are sunny and sixty here.
Margot I have found real lasting help here. Although I am not yet where I want to be, I have maintained under 200 pounds for years. The techniques in Beck have really helped me to feel less shame and more success.
Wings 123: That sounds like a great snack. I have to be so careful since menopause. what I use to eat that was easy only causes me to gain. At this age it feels like I am swimming in a strong river current just to keep in the same place. Still exerc ise, support and focus on healthy foods is doable. we got this.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:48 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Georgia becomes 1st US state to abolish both entail and primogeniture (1777)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Weather report: we're up to 21 degrees F this morning; I feel balmy by comparison with yesterday's -10. The summit of Mount Washington reported -46 degrees F with wind chill of -108. Glad I wasn't there. Always reassuring to find someplace worse off than where I'm standing.

Excitement was the arrival of a pair of Sperry Top-Siders (slip on tennis shoes); I bought the identical pair about 20 years ago; replaced them once; and now have replaced them with the absolutely identical pair again. It's the only item of clothing that I can buy the exact same for replacement. I wear them daily so they serve their duty. My little brain had trouble tossing the old pair since it was visibly OK. From above, one couldn't see the hole in each sole that allowed water to wick into my socks from the slightest dampness on the sidewalk.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with wish-I-wasn't daytime snacks. Dinner was a simple white bean soup so my heart can claim a healthy eating day. Neither of us left the house all day in the freezing weather. My exercise was going downstairs to get more coffee to fuel against the feeling of the cold outside.

Primogeniture: English law requiring that entire estate passes to eldest son
Entail: English law that entire estate remains in hands of only one male heir

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Both getting stronger and relieving back pain is a win win.

maryann - I so hate those unexpected cravings. Thanks for "no good comes from after hours eating."

curlyjax - Hope you're lucky and the frozen toilet is just some ice to be melted. My friends who leave remote cabins unheated, put antifreeze in their toilets after draining all the pipes.

Wings123 - Super Kudos for "I really don't want to plan ahead with food or write it down. But I'm doing it." That's a great summary of the Beck attitude.

Readers -
Quote:

Implement your chosen rule the next time you travel to see how well it works for you. Jordan found his rule to stick to his Think Thin Eating Plan too limiting, especially since he ate every meal for a week in restaurants. So he decided to eat 300 extra calories every other day of his six-day trip.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 160.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:03 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I finally got the toilet thawed out, yay! I used a little space heater and aimed it at the part I thought was frozen, and I kept pouring buckets of hot water down the toilet as well. I kept the sink dripping last night just in case, and both are working this am, hooray. It was indeed record setting temps in some places around here. I didn't plan to go out, but ended up zipping down to Boston to help transport DD one way as it was so cold out, Credit for not rewarding myself with food-partially because I was worried the car might not start up and I didn't want to be stuck somewhere. I tend to be very anxious about winter weather driving. Socialization included talking to my BFF, my brother in law, and a wonderful little old lady that I used to see at my former job- we kept in touch. I got some more clearing up done while listening to Pride and Prejudice, and look forward to more of the same today at some point. I also need to make some food for the week, like the WW cabbage soup. I'm going to putz around here for a bit this morning and then finally head back to the gym where I haven't been for ages.
Wings123- I've definitely fallen away from using my cards,I should get back to them.
Bill-yay for finding the exact same type of clothing item, that is indeed hard to find.
Gardenerjoy-strength training is so great for our bodies.
Karen-so good to hear from you and about your trip. I'm sure this is the very busy time for you.
Maryann-that is great you are taking on new challenges like a co-teacher. How exciting to have retirement date set!
Margot- welcome!
Old 02-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

Today was my fifth day in a row of standing on my left foot for a count of 30 Mississippis. Today's news: I did it on my first try!

Exercise +40, 230/1600 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: I think the common wisdom on primogeniture and entailments in England, now, is that it was good for land and bad for people. I'm not quite sure how they define "good," however. Or which people they're concerned about in that evaluation.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:15 PM   #28  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I slept until 11:00 am this morning. Whoa! I did drive four hours yesterday and I haven't slept in for weeks. No damage done. Food was reasonable for maintenance but no loss. I used my standing desk to play chess obsessively. I did little jogs while the live opponent took time to move. I counted it as 10 mins of motion for the day. I will take a long walk today to meet exercise goals. Breakfast is greek sugarless yoghurt and some special K thrown in. My job is to focus on fruits and veggies.

Wave to all.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:57 AM   #29  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

It's been a few stressful days for me on top of still struggling with jet lag. Food has been pretty good most days, but exercise is not yet back on track. I was able to hike Thursday, then I had plans with friends on Friday. A friend who is town for several months stayed the night Friday cause her s.o. was having knee replacement surgery nearby. It was wonderful to have a good visit with her. She left Saturday morning and dh walked Otis and then went on his long walk. When he came home he complained about some new hip pain. He had breakfast and then decided to lay down on the couch. When I asked a little later if his hip was better he said yes, but he was till having chest pain which he hadn't mentioned before. It was a 7/10. He couldn't believe I said we were going to ER, but of course we did. It pretty much resolved not long after we got there, but he is still in the hospital. He had a heart attack, which I think was small. Yesterday morning he called with the cardiologist in the room and put me on speaker phone at 7:15. Due to my jet lag I was still sleeping and really groggy. They were soon to take him to the Cath lab. I was able to get up, brush my teeth and dress, take Otis out to go potty and get to the hospital in 15 minutes to kiss him in the hallway before they took him back. He had a 99% blockage to his right coronary artery and he is right dominant, which means his widow maker is the right. They were able to stent him and get good flow. He also had a blockage at the very bottom of the left side that is old and he had collateral circulation there. They did an echocardiogram in the afternoon so we'll learn how his heart function is today. I plan to get there early so I don't miss the doctor. I expect to be bringing him home today, so I am not worrying about going back to sleep (I woke up at 2 a.m.), I can catch a nap.

Poor dh was just disgusted on Saturday. I think part of it is that he has already had numerous orthopedic surgeries, prostate CA and prostatectomy, and a seizure disorder that started after we moved here (no seizures for ten years on meds). On top of that he is at a really good weight and we've been doing the plant based diet this past year, "for me". I agree it sucks. I guess all I can think is what if he weren't doing the plant based diet and hadn't lost weight. Maybe he wouldn't still be here with me.

I'm just so grateful that I was home from Thailand. I'm not sure he would have thought he needed to go to the hospital since the chest pain resolved and he has a doctor's appointment later this week. I will have to say I don't plan to be going anywhere for awhile. Luckily the friend who I was going to backpack the Arizona Trail with beginning soon doesn't feel she can go because she has orthopedic issues. I was glad when she told me yesterday and we were able to both say it just isn't going to work.

I will say when I came home from the hospital yesterday I thought about running by the store to buy some sweets for myself. I was able to remind myself that not taking care of my health wasn't going to help anything. I ended up eating my breakfast steel cut oats for dinner.

Waving to all and I'll post again with an update and personals before too many days pass.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:42 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday-Treaty of Waitangi between Māori Chiefs & the British crown (1840,NewZealand)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, was chasing the (2.5 yo) DFGD around a playground and a walking path with our DS and DIL. All done with Spring-like outerwear in the sunshine with temps about 50 degrees F. Felt like the frigid spell was just a bad memory. The DIL had almost gone bonkers during the frigid spell when she wasn't able to take the kid outside to burn off energy. Ended up playing a version of "treasure hunt" in the kids bedroom. Happy giggles. Then the kid hid the treasures. "Wasn't that hard finding them since she'd lead me over to them to be sure that I didn't miss," the DIL explained. That little mind always delights.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, but still with daytime snacks. Dinner was grilled chicken with green beans and couscous. "Why couscous," I asked. "Just to keep the variety going," DW replied. I recalled that it was only about ten years ago that I learned that couscous was just pasta - not a magic wonder food from afar. Had a Satsuma Orange for evening snack. A lovely taste from an odd looking fruit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for "it was good for land and bad for people" - I can go try to parse that. Yay for keeping your balance.

maryann - Jogging Chess is a new sport for me, LOL. Neat that you combined two activities on top of each other.

Karen (karenrn) - So glad that you were home from Thailand to get you DH into the hospital for an RCA stent. Don't know how the body functions when an artery is 99% blocked, but that seems to be the common story. Thanks for "not taking care of my health wasn't going to help anything."

curlyjax - You're a good mom to drive all the way to Boston to Uber your DD so she can avoid the frigid cold. You're reinforcing the notion that she's a good human being who deserves to be cared for - a lifetime gift.

Readers -
Quote:

The number on the scale went up a pound and a half. When he returned home, however, Jordan went back to his normal eating, continued to weigh himself, and lost the extra weight in the following week.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 160.
Closed Thread