Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 03:25 PM   #46  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

DH had his six-month appointment with the urologist. Actually, we met with his Physician's Assistant this time and we think that's better. For a urologist, the doctor is remarkably uncomfortable talking about male bodily functions. The PA is younger and, I'm guessing, she's better trained for this. We got the information that we knew we wanted plus some that we didn't even know to ask about!

We grabbed fast-food on the way home. If we only do it every six months for the urology appointment, I suppose that's fine. But I actually think I prefer my usual lunch. I'll see if I can remember that six months from now. I would be happy with the fountain soda as a treat and drink it with my normal lunch at home.

Exercise +40, 435/1600 minutes for February
Old 02-09-2023, 05:48 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Continue to be breathtakingly busy at work but the student teacher is fitting in fine. Phew. It is more work but at the same time it is nice to voice the metacognitive process that has been silent for so many years. He will start taking over some of the reins next week which should free me up.

Dinner with Mom was a little disastrous. The food was terrible and I actually thought I might get sick. Today, I focused on whole grains, fruit and veggies, some moderately sweet treats like dark chocolate. I am going to close the kitchen early.

BBE; How about we do a fair trade - fresh walnuts for fresh veggies?
Curly: I think the extra walking really helps me.
Joy: Glad you are comfortable with the PA. Our Urologist is also a little full of himself but he seems to know his stuff.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:00 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - 12 nude anabaptists run through Amsterdam streets (1535)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was a visit to my dermatologist. Exciting because, for some reason, getting an appointment with a dermatologist around here is a challenge. He totally ignores all the little places on my skin where something has decided to grow. "That's just xxx," he mutters saying a long Latin name, "nothing to worry about." Then focuses on the three places that concern him, taking a picture and comparing it to the picture he took last year. "No change," he says victoriously, "they never shrink unless you're doing chemo, but growing is bad." Sounds easy enough to remember. I did show enough improvement in one area that I can reduce applying a magic elixir from 2x per day 7 times a week, to 1x per day 3 times per week. Appreciate any improvement - even if it's in the least problematic portion of my entire body.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the local bookstore to pick up a pre-ordered book. "Here they both are," she happily told me, "one is paid for." I explained that I'd only ordered one. She never figured out why they ordered two but had no problem keeping the second one. Nevertheless, I walked away happy to have spent a few dollars supporting an independent book store.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. No daytime snacks because I was busy. Gotta remember that formula. Dinner was a "Japanese Curry" dish from a new recipe. Something like 14 ingredients with much chopping to prepare. Was good, a new taste, but not likely to get into the frequent flyer list with that much work.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yeah for a good doctor's visit. Interesting comment that the doctor is uncomfortable talking about male body functions - my experience exactly. Was delighted to read the news story that British women doing codes didn't begin in WWII but 450 years earlier with Mary, Queen of Scots while in prison.

maryann - Love the notion of an experienced teacher getting to "voice the metacognitive process" - remembering that there's a basis for your madness in the classroom.

curlyjax - Like your description of walking, "its good for my legs, heart and head."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Stage 3 - The Challenging Situations Plan

tip: If you do eat
unplanned food, don't use it
as an excuse to continue eat-
ing unplanned food until your
trip is over. Read your Cheat
Sheet. Answer the questions
and get back on track imme-
diately. Don't compound the
problem by continuing to eat
more, because it's just not
worth it. If you overeat at
the beginning of the trip, you
might gain a little weight. If
you continue to overeat, you
might gain a lot of weight.
Which scenario would you
prefer?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 160.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:33 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I seem to be very unmotivated these days and getting into all sorts of foods that I shouldn't. And then yesterday a friend asked me to help transport her cars and then we went out to dinner afterwards, although at least I brought some food home.Ugh. I did get some exercise in at work. Someone at work is eating quite healthily but his whole family is doing it and supporting each other, and his wife is planning and preparing the foods which is a big help.
My cramps have really flared up in the past few days so i'm glad to have my ultrasound today. Hopefully it is just the end of my menopause; I'm kind of wondering how we'll know for sure. Then I'm going to a concert and dinner out with manfriend, so that's something nice to look forward to. TGIF!!
Gardenerjoy-glad the appt went well. Funny that a male urologist is uncomfortable talking about male functions
Maryann- great the student teacher is fitting in and will eventually help with the load.
Bill-yay for a successful dermatolgy appt, and for receiving a new book.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

I was unwilling to eat less than usual after my fast-food lunch, even though I knew it was double the calories of my usual lunch. Sigh. Another reason to avoid making that a regular thing.

Exercise +45, 480/1600 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the Mary, Queen of Scots, link. I knew she used ciphers. I don't think that I knew that they hadn't all been previously deciphered.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #51  

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Second period chewed me up and spit me out today. Student teacher got to see what that looked like and how to persevere in the face of the disruptors.

Exercise this weekend will be skiing in all forms. Food is Greger - ish. I did get into a few sweet treats.

Happy Weekend.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:10 AM   #52  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Traditional date for the foundation of Japan by Emperor Jimmu (660 BCE)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with limited daytime snacks. Dinner was pre-grilled salmon. DW always grills enough for two meals; the reheated second serving is just as good as the first. Lunch was my standard peanut butter on toasted whole-wheat sandwich bread end pieces with pecans. Seems right to me even though one could note that adding tree nuts to peanuts was hardly a diverse menu. The Elvis Presley version of that adds a banana but I've dropped that option as an unneeded 100 calories. My breakfast banana will have to provide my potassium needs.

One of the books I'm reading is heading into the question of how did life arise on Earth. One of the prejudices in the scientific community for years was that organic molecules only existed on Earth. How could they exist in space when cosmic rays would destroy them? Then in 1969 formaldehyde was found to be ubiquitous in stellar clouds. Now 256 different organisms have been detected in space. This supports the notion that life fell to the Earth from outer space - a science fiction trope. But some still argue that it grew right here on Earth in shallow seas. Had millions of years to do it, so why not? Fun, fun stuff to read. Especially since I oughta be getting the information together for my taxes, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Fast food tends to add calories without the compensation of needing fewer calories later. Just squeezes into the stomach bypassing satiety.

maryann - Thank you for being one of the zillion teachers who continue to work every day despite "disruptors" in the classroom. Hope your student teacher isn't scared away.

curlyjax - That's so supportive when a co-worker is taking healthy eating seriously.

Readers -
Quote:

travel skills

When you travel, you have less control over your food for a longer period of time than in practically any other situation. You will probably need to use all of your Challenging Situation Skills, as well as some additional ones listed below: . . .

Old 02-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #53  

I got a little walk in at work with my colleague. It was nice out but windier than I expected-it looks like spring but it is still February! I got my ultrasound done and stopped at the croissant place on the way home, picking up some cookies for DD and a croissant for manfriend. We went to a beautiful new venue out in the boonies and heard a harpist and then a great fiddler. The concert went on until 11:00; past our bedtimes as manfriend and myself joked. I had a reuben sandwich but skipped the fries. It was fun to do something different, but I realized it was way too much sitting all day. Tonight i'm going out to a dance band that i've already paid for; I may leave at intermission as i really prefer to be in bed by 11:00. I'm starting to feel like there is too much going on this week and I need more down time on the weekend, but other weeks there is nothing going on, so I guess it all evens out.
Bill-you ready some heady stuff! yay for a favorite sandwich that hits the spot.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #54  
Green Tomatoes

My food intake wasn't ideal, yesterday. I'm realizing that it has been right on the edge for weeks, so it only takes a little bit to push it over. I'm relying too much on food as a break, a comfort, a reassurance. Even when I follow my plan, I'm still doing those things. Sigh. So, I'm going to take some time this weekend to come up with other things that are comforting and reassuring.

Exercise +60, 540/1600 minutes for February
Old 02-11-2023, 11:27 AM   #55  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have a delay start to the ski day. it is snowing. I decided to let the traffic to runs die down since I have a personal Chauffeur ( DH) to drop me at the top of the line.
Exercise will be taken care of. Food was a low carb breakfast and I am going to convince hubby to not eat out. That is a calorie and a money saver.

BBE: Do the research and summarize for a ninth grade how life started. I am still at the Big Bang theory with Out of Africa Migration. I teach the stuff to my students but our textbooks are twenty years out of date.
Curly: I agree that doing too much during the work week is exhausting. Tough balance. I think I battle the fear that too much quiet time will lead me to be lonely. That is old thinking and just not often true.
Joy: Excellent to dedicate time for adjustments.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:40 AM   #56  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - George Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" premieres (1924, Aeolian Hall, NYC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a neat walk planned until DW announced that it was too cold and windy for walking near the ocean. Have to postpone that one. Spent the day continuing to try to figure out how life began on Earth. There are those who are convinced that it began on Mars and wandered here. A handful of other notions - all with adamant advocates. Seems like a plausible new profession since there isn't a clear most-likely notion on the table. It does make me super happy that water exists. Right now, I'm in a I LOVE WATER phase of my life. Full disclosure: Not an unbiased observer; I'm 60% water.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with daytime snacks. Losing my planned walk got converted into some household chores that, although necessary, are not that exciting. Faced DW asking me why I had received a high-end men's clothing catalog. Had I just discovered my fashion sense? Was I having an affair thus needing to look dapper? Had I forgotten that I don't buy clothes? Alas, the answer was simple: this was the company from whom I'd bought a gift card for our SIL for Christmas. They now knew that I had spent money; maybe I'd spend more. No shirt cost less than $150. It reminded me that my goal is to leave this life as naked as I entered - just to show the clothing manufacturers that I'm not hooked on their over priced products.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It's useful to be reminded that food is "comforting and reassuring."

maryann - So neat to be chauffeured to the top of the ski line. Alas, I'm working on how to give you a cogent summery of how life started; don't hold your breath.

curlyjax - Pretty diverse concert to feature both a harpist and a fiddler. Ruben sandwich is just the best. Kudos for avoiding the French fries.

Readers -
Quote:

travel skills Before You Go

Pack your dieting supplies: Bring this book, as well as your Response Cards, Advantages Deck, Cheat Sheet, and Diet Notebook. Consider bringing your food scale and measuring cups and spoons, if you will be eating in. Some dieters, who know they won't have the opportunity to buy their own food when they are away, like to bring snacks, such as nuts, canned tuna, cheese, fruits, or high-fiber/high-protein bars. Other dieters know it is better for them to make do with whatever food is available because carrying extra food is too tempting.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:39 AM   #57  

Long day involving various interactions with DD who is home for a bit. Food wasn't great. I was crabby and almost didn't go out, but in the end I went to the concert I had bought tickets for, and had a great time; it was a band complete with a horn section playing stuff from the 70s like Stevie Wonder and the Doobie Brothers. It's a small venue in a former church and its beautiful, and attracts the middle aged crowd I hung out with some people i had met before and had a great time dancing. I didn't drink any alcohol but was hungry when I got home and got into too much food. Today I'm meeting a friend for lunch and need to do some laundry paperwork etc.
Maryann-it is good to have a balance of activity and quiet for sure.
Gardenerjoy- great idea to think of other things that are comforting.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:10 PM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

I'm playing around with when I eat what so that it's more about habits and less about meeting emotional needs. I think that will help me out, especially when things get a little out of whack. That's when I'll push to get back to my habits.

We have some nice weather days this week, interspersed with rainy ones. I can find comforting activities with each.

Exercise +60, 600/1600 minutes for February
Old 02-13-2023, 07:35 AM   #59  

My friend cancelled on me for lunch which was just as well. Didn't get a whole lot done other than groceries and some laundry. Oh I did make cabbage soup, and quinoa, and tortellini, so that's something. I don't know what I did but my hip was killing me a night and I had a hard time getting to sleep. I sobbed for awhile thinking about needing another hip replacement which no doubt will happen at some point; feeling sorry for myself because I'll have to recover on my own again without a spouse, and feeling mad at myself because i'm overweight and haven't committed to doing anything about it. This morning I feel better mentally although I slept poorly. Onwards!
Gardenerjoy- I like the idea of habits instead of emotional needs.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:37 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - American Temperance Society forms in Boston (1826)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was the visit by the (2.5 yo) DFGD, DIL, and DS. The tyke brought a valentine for grandma and grandpa that she was super proud to have made. Was easy to spot which parts she had made and which parts the DIL had 'helped.' Had to love the super joy the kid had giving it to us. My exercise of the day was cutting grapes in half; she ate a bowl of them. Then ate three clementines. Then ate a banana. I suppose that it's good news that she didn't get into chocolate covered almonds but that was helped because I kept them hidden; she's just a kid, she doesn't ask for what she doesn't see. Lot of fruit went into that kid.

Watched Super Bowl LVII. I primarily do it so that I can tell the guys at the office that I did. Forgot that I no longer go into the office, LOL. Had avocado on our mixed green salad at dinner; feel that avocado in my tummy makes me a true Super Bowl fan.

Spent a short time sitting Shiva at the home of a friend about our age who lost her adult DD quite unexpectedly. It was my first time to "sit Shiva" - a mysterious ritual that I assumed required me to be Jewish, or to wear a yarmulke, or to join in Hebrew prayers. Wasn't anything that I expected. We went to our friend's home where we mingled with others also there to offer condolences. Some briefly sat in one room or another to chat with other friends. Just like at any wake or celebration of life event. Perhaps in Israel the full ritual is conducted. Was glad to chat with my friend's adult DS, who I slightly know, because I had some memories of his late father that he hadn't heard; made him smile at a time he was mourning his departed sister. He thanked me for reminding him why attending these types of events is important.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for good habits. By-the-by, Congrats on the Super Bowl win by the Kansas Chiefs - presuming that you were supporting a team that, from here, looks pretty close to Missouri.

maryann - Waving. Lake Tahoe is in the news way out here because it's so beautiful it's becoming overrun with, of all things, . . . people.

curlyjax - Neat that you found a place to go dancing.

Readers -
Quote:

travel skills Before You Go

On your way: Read your Response Cards and relevant sections in your Diet Notebook on the trip there. If you haven't packed food to eat on the way, and the only available foods are relatively high in calories, you'll have to eat small portions. Remember, if you're still hungry, it's not an emergency! You will have another snack or meal coming up in a few hours or the following morning.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 161.
Closed Thread