Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 06:25 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - The Apple I computer, created by Steve Wozniak is released (1976)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent the afternoon at a long meeting where I gave a report. Everyone in the room was masked and socially spaced. Felt funny speaking through my mask, but everyone else was doing just that. Unpaid work is always super appreciated - as was mine. It felt normal to speak in public despite the mask. And not quite so normal since half the audience was on Zoom and not visible to me since I was standing before the live folks and the screen of small faces was behind me. Always on Zoom I'm speaking to my computer with the faces visible to me. If someone raises a hand, I'd see it. A half-way step back to normal.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. The dahl was supplemented with a few chicken tenders that had come home from the restaurant in a doggy bag. Unmemorable, but added protein. Bonding time with the (6 yo) DGD was, again, in my electric recliner. She just couldn't get enough of pushing the buttons that caused me to be alternately flattened then squashed. Was chatting with a neighbor later who reminded me that new furniture only has so many cycles. Guessing that the DGD consumed a year's worth, LOL. But worth it for the giggles and bonding.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - We find ourselves looking at old bills, also. Fortunately, DW is diligent about only keeping a year or so of them.

nationalparker – Ouch for one more hidden place to be cleared. Glad that you got a diversion with creating a Shutterfly book. Thanks for the tip about Peppermints in the Parlor - might be a good book for our next read together.

Karen (karenrn) - Continue to be excited about your Rim to River to Rim hike at the Grand Canyon. Love the notion that it's already warm enough for you to even consider using your pool.

curlyjax - Thanks for the reminder of the grand Boston Flower Show of olden days. Maybe flower shows are a thing of the past. Congrats for taking a step to work your bathroom renovation. Have a good trip to NH.

Penny. - Kudos for vigilance. COSTCO can come through. I hadn't considered them for glasses, but might just do that. The teens at the restaurant weren't prom kids, but teens eating out with their parents. It was kinda neat to see teens and adults at the same table.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Your Think Thin Bonus Calorie Options

Once you finish, brush your teeth and get involved in a distracting activity. If you want more after you have finished your treat, tell yourself you can have more tomorrow. Remind yourself that it's not terrible to wait, but you would feel terrible if you overate, lost control, and gained weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 122.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Looong day yesterday. DD was home and working on getting an apt with two other girls who are also going to college. I have to cosign as she is a student and the whole thing is freaking me out; if one of the others leave suddenly, we other two have to still pay the whole thing (or find someone quickly). I have heard of some horror stories out there. Anyhow- I’m taking a deep breath and focusing on today.
I did get a break and visited my widow friend for an hour; we were trying to figure out how to turn off one of the car icons and gave up after googling for 30 minutes. Then she gave me breakfast and I told her I felt taken care of Thank goodness for friends!
Maryann-The clothes are great, you are very stylish indeed!
Gardenerjoy- sounds like you have a good system going.
Penny- that’s what i’m afraid of, taking the tiles off and find more problems. I only have one shower so it can’t take forever to fix.
Karen- ooh the pool sounds good. I like Dr. Geiger’s ideas but seems like it might take more time, when I can get protein quickly from an egg or chicken. I need to look into it more.
Nationalparker- oh dear, finding another cubby of stuff is not good. I need a better system of tracking fun stuff like books to read.
Bill- yay for meetings in person, it is so nice to get back to that.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:30 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

Unfortunately, Dear Niece had a negative reaction to the first chapter of Marie Kondo. I can't really blame her, since my initial reaction wasn't positive either. So, BillBlueEyes, it looks like we might need to write our own book, after all. I asked her, if she were writing a book about getting control of stuff and space, what would her first step be. She said that she'd make a list. Sigh. I love lists, but I also have a lot of experience with making lists that change nothing in the real world except the paper that it was written on. So, I'm not sure where we go from there. Fortunately, I'll see her in person, tomorrow, so maybe something will come of that.

We've got a rainy day expected, so I'm working to reframe dreary to cozy. Exercise will be indoors.

Exercise +60, 475/1400 minutes for April

BillBlueEyes: You highlighted an Apple moment in history today. I wrote a blog post about IBM in history for today: I is for IBM #AtoZChallenge – Joy's Book Blog (joyweesemoll.com)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #64  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

We are having a snow day and I got to experience what that's like with kids in school: a 5:30am text announcing a two hour delay. I could not get back to sleep.

Yesterday was on plan. My son brought me some Just Egg from Whole Foods to try, since he knew I had been talking about it. So, I guess I will be trying it after all.

Off to work today. Have a good day, everyone.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:22 PM   #65  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Lost my voice; husband not unhappy 😉

A slow day here, punctuated by bouts of heavy rain. My walk with a friend was moved to tomorrow as the rain was coming down in droves when I was getting ready to head to her house. Caught up on reading, did some painting, picked up a couple of outfits for the grandkids when we see them this weekend, and just rested. Called the trash service that covers my in laws and croaked out my request several times until the receptionist understood I needed another 20-yard rolloff dumpster delivered. No online forms for this very small company, but she is quite nice. I told she I'll bring her something when we're wrapping up our service with them. He thought donuts from our city that are not available in that town, no donut shops at all...I was thinking flower bouquet. Both may be the answer. One to share and one for her.

Not a bad way to spend a day. We put on a movie tonight and I popped Amish popcorn kernels. Not nearly as decadent as at the cinema. Still enjoyable.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:58 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Yuri Gagarin become 1st human in space (1961, aboard Vostok 1)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the dentist to examine the hole in my jaw that once housed a molar. They removed two stitches that I didn't know I'd received. I'd brought in the awful xeroxed sheet of instructions that I'd been sent home with. Innocently I asked, "Is it OK for me to bend over again? My wife is tired of putting on my socks." "Where does it say that?" he demanded. Then he read the page with my markups. "This is terrible. This isn't what I approved." "It's what we hand out," the assistant helpfully added. "I can see two spelling errors already. Thanks for letting me know," he added as he stormed out with the sheet in his hand. I hadn't wanted to make a scene, but am glad that I brought it in since he wasn't aware. Hopefully all the other actions done by his assistants aren't from xerox directions copied from old. Anyway, I'm healing as expected. Go back in 2.5 months to see that it's fully healed then we'll schedule a post and fake tooth.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a new recipe with roasted small new potatoes, red onion, red Bell pepper strips, and smoked paprika spice. A first class visual presentation - worthy of a fine restaurant. Am glad that DW continues to try new ideas - particularly since she's on her no-sugar kick and pruning recipes that use sugar "to make it interesting."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Lists can be such a nice substitute for taking action. BTDT. Good luck with walking forward with your DN. Thanks for the link to your blog on IBM. Fun to remember. I've bought into the notion that HAL was chosen as one letter offset from IBM. Good to be reminded that stuff can be believed by zillions of folks and still be dead wrong.

nationalparker – Lovely thought to bring someone donuts who doesn't have access to a donut shop on every corner. I'm drooling as I type thinking of which varieties I'd like you to choose for me. It's so annoying that the mere mention of food is accepted by my brain to go into lust mode, LOL.

curlyjax - Yay for icons on the dashboard of the car that make it obvious what the problem is without having to use words in a language that won't be understood by some customers. Well, Yay for them when they can be figured out, LOL. I, too, had to chase one down via google. Had a hard time trying to describe the icon in a phrase that google could understand what I was asking. Mine turned out to be caused by the low Accessory Battery (12 volt battery) that I knew was on its last legs and scheduled to replace that week. Once replaced, the icon vanished. Never saw it before; never seen it since.

Penny. - So neat that you DS brought you some Just Egg because he knew you were interested. Someone has raised that boy well.

Readers -
Quote:

The first time you eat a tempting food with control and you find that experience particularly meaningful, file that in your Memory Box.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:25 AM   #67  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a no hiking housework day and I did get quite a bit done, but I also ate some unplanned dates. They were delicious. Dinner was polenta nachos with kale mango salad. We both like this dish. This morning I'm meeting a group of gals to hike a trail I only did a bit of years ago, so I'm excited to do that with gals I don't see often. There is an article in the online Google News today entitled "Eating healthier can help fend off disease, here are three recipes to get you started." Apparently it's from the Iowa City Press-Citizen and it's talks about Dr. Michael Greger and his Daily Dozen in case any of you are interested.

Nationalparker I'm glad you had a little more restful day. Sounds like you needed it. How large is the house you've been clearing out?

Bill The potato dish sounds very good. I'm glad you took the instruction sheet in to the dentist. He really should know what is being handed out at his office. Funny how you brought it up too.

GardenerJoy I enjoyed your blog post. I joined a group called Uncluttered a few years back. Joshua Becker is the fellow that started it. I paid once but can go through the program quarterly if wanted. He has a little different take on the decluttering. Is it Marie Kondo's take on things that DN doesn't like or just the decluttering?

Penny I started the day yesterday receiving a photo of snow on the deck from my brother in Longview WA yesterday and another of a foot of snow in the hills of Kalama. Crazy weather.

Curlyjax That would freak me out too being responsible for what is probably a very high rent place. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get a new roommate if one left though. Hopefully it will just turn out to be a really good situation for all of them.

Maryann Hopefully you are having a fun get away.

I guess I had better get going. I want to get Otis out for a walk before I hike today.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

I started reading Love People, Use Things by Millburn & Nicodemus (recommended by nationalparker). It's a different approach to releasing excess stuff and looks like it may be useful.

Yesterday's file clear-out included insurance cards for vehicles that we haven't owned in 20 years. I invented, on the spot, a method for keeping those for the six months that they are relevant and releasing them at the end of that period.

The harder items, yesterday, were the papers that I wrote for both of my master's degrees (I got the second in 2006, so their relevancy is well past the prime). I actually enjoyed looking through them but the only purpose for keeping them would be to have a similar delight ten years from now, if I sort through them again. I put a few that I couldn't quite let go of on my sentimental stack to sort later. Most of them I was able to just enjoy the memories and release them.

Exercise +50, 525/1400 minutes for April

karenrn: I think it was the hint of arrogance in Marie Kondo's way of putting things -- especially the notion that if you fail, it's because you didn't try hard enough.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #69  

Good morning!

Staying on plan. I'm off to work again, then will enjoy two days off.

My daughter's mouth swelling and pain went away after a weekend without the retainer in. She can wear it again but refused to wear it to school because she has no idea where the bathroom is to brush her teeth after lunch. No idea where the bathroom is after two weeks of school. Wowzers. I emailed the teacher.

Bill, that's funny about the xeroxed instructions. Someone is in trouble!

Joy, I kinda felt the same way as your niece about MK. The tv show is cringey.

Curly, hopefully if the housing is near the school your dtr can find student roommate replacements easily with a well placed sign. I wonder if they still do the notice board thing for that kind of stuff.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #70  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day on many fronts for me. A warm, sunny morning before the storm clouds rolled in. I worked in the garden for just under an hour, then got cleaned up and met my friend for our walk around her neighborhood, enjoying the wide variety of spring blooming trees. Now I want a weeping cherry. Picked up the last couple of outfits for the DGK as we'll see them this weekend. I want things to be fairly even but PJs ranks the same as an outfit they can wear out, to me. You still need them. Then to the library for their seed library - I have not been able to find lettuce or Thai basil and the library had seeds of both. Not full packets, just 15-20 seeds in each. I'm good with that. Hopefully I can start a few every two weeks and cycle it through and find seeds before long. Not a good year for them (seeds at Lowe's, nurseries) in my area. Caught up with my brother, sorted DH's photos - his mom was an avid photographer, but many photos are not just duplicates, there are 6 of each for way, way too many. Thousands of photos of their pets, etc. This project will be ongoing but cleared out one box, so that was fruitful. Also mowed the front and side lawns that were getting to be a bit cartoonish with large areas of grass about 5" taller than other areas. Not sure how that happened but it seemed to pop up overnight. The storms never materialized.

Bill - You had me smiling with your instructions sheet back to the dentist escapade. Love it! I had been on a no salt/no sugar kick for about a year and modified most of my recipes but my gosh there is sugar of some form or another in nearly everything (I was fine with sugar in natural foods, just added sugar) ... had me making my own ketchup. Which surprisingly, was easy but used xylitol in it as that was supposed to not affect our bodies the same way other sweeteners do. Who knows, that could have been just a bunch of hooey. But at least now I know in a pinch, I can make it as we use the one without HFCS for DH, as he really likes it. An ongoing joke.

Penny - I and my very weak (apparently) bladder are really impressed that your daughter can go all day without hitting a bathroom. Wow. Though, in her defense, too, high school bathrooms were terrible years ago and I doubt they've improved a bunch.

Joy - I hope you find a few worthwhile ideas in the book ... I liked it because it starts with a thought that I can buy into. I keep thinking just how many things do I have in my home that I never use or even look at? These are where I need to start clearing, offering them around to other family members (if a family piece) and moving forward. The pandemic made giving away some things harder because places that used to accept items stopped when it was thought that covid spread on surfaces. And they haven't started back up yet...if at all.

Karen - The house we're clearing is small, from the 1850s. But they had crammed stuff any possible area that you could and other places just had things piled up as high as they could until they fell over. When we first got there, clothing and papers were piled several feet high on couches. I keep typing and deleting here because it's so hard to picture - closets aren't really closets - more like attic spaces with a door leaning against an opening (or a blanket hanging in front -we've taken those all down) and stuff thrown/shoved in until no more room. The house and garage are equally packed.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:29 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - 1st Pony Express reaches Sacramento, California (1860)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did an early morning bird walk, CREDIT moi. First time out with a group like that in two years. It's that magic time when the trees are not leafed out so that birds are easy to spot. Two species of warblers had arrived: Palm Warbler and Pine Warbler. They're always first. Magic was spotting a Barred Owl, sitting quietly on a nearby branch allowing extended views. Then silently turned its head fully around to face us. I never tire of watching owls do that.

The supermarket was boring. Just as one would want it to be. I spend my time silently snickering at folks who are on the phone talking to someone about a supermarket purchase. Then I spotted the soy milk that DW likes that hadn't been in stock at this store in three months. Called her; "Get two," she said. I hereby apologize to all those folks about whom I've snickered all these years. Only took about ten seconds. She was grateful. There were cases of hams set out for Easter. As well as candy in Easter colors. Tried to figure out who authorizes "Easter colors." Alas, I need to just get back in my lane.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You keep reminding me that I want to hang onto stuff because of the memories. When I'm incarcerated in the old folks' home, I want to lay back remembering that I once was out doing stuff.

nationalparker – Your seed library is a new one to me. Do folks donate the rest of their packets? I bet DW would do that each year. She has some intuitive formula for using seeds a second year, but not a third. Our order of seeds each year is such a tiny expense for the amount of joy it brings.

Karen (karenrn) - Your polenta nachos with kale mango salad sound yummy. Both kale and mango are near the top of my favorites list. Neat that Dr. Michael Greger's work is getting out there.

Penny. - Glad that your DD's swelling is gone. Ouch for learning that she didn't know where the bathroom was. The system doesn't seem set up for new kids arriving, which you'd think would be fairly common what with folks moving about all the time.

Readers -
Quote:

This is the card Carol wrote:
Quote:
Memory Card

I didn't think I could hold myself to a single serving
of ice cream. I was convinced I would lose control
and eat the whole pint, but I didn't. I scooped a half
cup into a small bowl, and I enjoyed every bite!
I can do it!
Old 04-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

We took a trip out to the country for a visit with Dear Sister-in-Law and Dear Niece. Separately, reducing the potential for drama. It was a largely drama-free day with pleasant visits, small steps toward resolving the estate, and a visit to the cemetery at the request of DN who hadn't been since the death of her grandmother.

Today's excitement is the potential for severe weather. I went out early to fill the car with gas and run a couple of other errands while the rain held off. We've had our first thunderstorm, with some large booms and bright lightning. The worse weather is expected this afternoon. We usually get severe weather in the evening, so this has schools and workplaces puzzling over tornado shelters and school let-out times and procedures.

Exercise +40, 565/1400 minutes for April
Old 04-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #73  

Good morning!

Still on plan. Weight had the initial drop but has been stalled in the usual place where I make no progress.

My glorious first day off started with a big struggle to get kids off to school. The 11yo is fighting it and wants to quit. The 15yo hates it too. After they left, their dad and I are not agreeing on things. I'm saying school is good at this point because they miss out on a lot with just me. He never helped, and I am no longer willing to do it. He tried to say "we" can step up our game. Umm no, I'm tired. You can take the job if you want it.

My other reason for school is I want the kids to have a bigger world than just us by the time we divorce.

Joy, hoping the storm passes without too much damage and all are safe.

Bill, I would be so stoked to see that owl! I'm glad life is returning back to pre-pandemic normal with your bird watching. Soon you'll be avoiding cheese and cracker plates again.

Nationalparker, you seem like you have so much energy! You're a good grandma.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:08 PM   #74  
Enjoying la bella vita

Buon giorno! I have an Italian stew cooking, one of DH's favorite meals and one I do not like, so he eats the entire pot. Luckily he chooses leftovers first for all lunches, even over Trader Joe's frozen treat meals (indian foods I don't cook, most often). I am thinking I'll go with a smoothie if I'm even hungry because I'm embarrassed to say, I've been eating this or that all day long. I decided on a completely unstructured day and clearly that meant meals on the hour. Learned my lesson. All I did was paint today! Got the laundry and dishes tackled early and minimal chores and clutter clean up before I sat down to paint and listen to a true crime podcast. The time absolutely flew. Before I knew it, it was 4 p.m. Tonight is a video call with my sister and we'll catch up for about an hour and a half, and then play games the rest of the time. All three of us enjoy it - she and I like touching base and DH likes an evening of doing whatever, since he is rarely alone in the house. Some tv, some guitar playing, surfing the internet, sometimes he brings out his leather work and bangs away on the table.

Penny - I feel for both you and your kids with hating school. I really hated high school - we lived in Europe before moving back to the States and going from a school with 35-50 in each class to 500+ in each class/grade was shocking. I do think, though, that the uncomfortableness of it helped me in dealing with situations in early employment. However, I completely understand that my just hating it is wildly different than feeling bullied or attacked in any way. You have walked a long road these past years.

Joy - I hope you stay safe during the storms. We're in line to get them after they roll through your area, and our forecasters have been excited about today for days. They seem so deflated if any potential risk is diminished. We live near a fire station and the trucks leaving sound close to the tornado siren down the street and I keep going, is that siren moving or staying where it is... on days with the severe weather alerts, I put all three cat carriers in the house. My sister told me once to put on heavy soled shoes in a tornado warning because you'll want to have something on your feet should your home sustain damage or worse. So I do put on my hiking boots (don't laugh). DH is the type who goes out to look at the approaching storm. I understand those people the least.

Bill - I believe the seed library is created by the Purdue Agricultural Extension Office - different seeds go to different branches (we have about 35 branches in our city) and I hope many of the seeds get used. They have both veg and flower. We can each take 25 packets on our card, but hopefully just these two will germinate for me. They also offer free gardening classes so folks can get started. Different topic: My friend shared a story that a cooper's hawk smacked into her patio door a few days ago and lay on their patio, stunned, for about 45 minutes. Then it sat up and looked around and took another half hour to fly up to a nearby tree. She and her partner kept going, "do we go out there? Look at those talons!" I used to be the one at my university who took stunned birds to a rescue after they flew into our arena windows. This wasn't often, but often enough. They'd get a shot of a steroid to help diminish brain swelling. I hope this hawk did ok all on its own.

Karen - I hope your day has been a good one. I'm glad Otis isn't going through these storms rolling through the midwest/south! Is he nervous with thunderstorms or mainly things he sees vs. hears? I'd try to pretend it was no big deal with our dog so she didn't worry excessively, but me jumping with the lightning and thunder tipped her off. I still miss her.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #75  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food is on plan and I've been busy with my part-time job, hiking. Our hike yesterday was great. The gal chose it because of the wildflowers because she had done the hike the week before, but honestly they were kind of pathetic. It isn't a great year for flowers. I was really glad to go on the hike though cause I wanted to meet the other gal who is going on the Banff trip this summer along with the Explorer Chicks group. She is 70 and a retired nurse and very outgoing and adventuresome. She likes to get out of her comfort zone. She did an ultramarathon last month, 60K. She didn't start running until her mid 40's. Anyway very inspiring person. Today my friend and I hiked a semi short but very strenuous hike, up Tom's Thumb, down the otherside and back. I did some grocery shopping and finally got a much needed pedicure this afternoon.

Nationalparker I'm glad you've had an enjoyable unstructured day today. Sounds like just what you need a little more of.

Penny It sounds like you've got good reasons for the kids to stay in school. I hope you can manage. It doesn't help that dh is not on board.

GardenerJoy Your weather sound awful. I'm glad you got your driving trip in before the weather worries.

Bill I see people on the phone in the grocery store too. I hate to say it but it seems to be mostly men. I remember when I sent my husband to buy a pot roast. He called not knowing what to look for. I told him to look for a woman who was middle aged and not skinny and ask her. He brought home the right thing. I guess I could have said ask the butcher, but might have been harder to find him.

Well, I better get moving. I've got a few things going in the kitchen and don't want to have a problem on my hands.
Closed Thread