Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #31  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I ended up not feeling very good yesterday, which limited my options for exercise but increased my willingness to eat less than my food plan. I think it's just the weird weather and multiple fronts coming through. It messes with my sinuses, causing something akin to vertigo, causing an unhappy tummy.

Exercise +20, 250/1600 minutes for December
Old 12-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

I’m in the airport for the long trek home. The orchestra concert was first rate. Just fantastic - professional level for amateurs who meet in Sundays. Awesome. DS picked up his new Bronco - a year incoming. So relieved. His old car had terrible visibility in weather. I am a little low to be leaving him.

Food was reasonable with no binges.

Karen: I found to pairs of non traditional work pants that are as comfortable as sweats. They are in the Japanese fashion of deeply extended rise almost skirt like. Beautiful hand patched work and unusual jewelry on some shirts and jackets. I am broadening what I wear to find “me” and I love supporting small batch artists. It is an expensive habit though.

wave to all

Old 12-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #33  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I had lunch out with a friend and overate. Weight jumped into serious no no territory. Today's plan is to add a written plan instead of just using an app.

Have a good day!
Old 12-07-2021, 05:43 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (1941)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent the day trying to figure out my new recliner. Seems that the feature that I most want just isn't there: recline the back. The second button moves only the headrest - I suppose to make it easier to read when fully reclined. The first button extends the foot rest and then reclines the back - they're linked together. Wimpy design in my humble opinion. Made my peace with DW by keeping the old La-Z-Boy in the living room moving the rarely used rocking chair out. Made arrangements to return the new recliner but only for a store credit to be spent in 30 days. They might not have a chair that I want. [/Curmudgeon rant]

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner spent discussing how to grow ferns from spores. Few folks have done this; DW is one. It's a two-stage process: first, in a long process, the nearly invisible spores grows into prothallia; then the prothalia quickly emit sperm and eggs that merge to grow into a fern. Described well here for the seriously interested. I'm not a gardener but my head now contains a totally unusable piece of information - probably displacing the name of a fish, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for getting hit by the weather. Wish we had someone on this forum from Hawaii to tell us what it's like out there in paradise under snow.

maryann - Neat that your DS finally got his Bronco - long wait for that. Concert sounds terrific.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for jumping through so many hoops to get permission to begin to think of flying to Thailand. I'm so glad that you don't make Buttery Cashew Brittle near me, LOL.

curlyjax - Sounds like you had a productive day. LMAO at the trailer to Run, Fatboy, Run. Simon Pegg makes me laugh even before he speaks.

Penny. - Lunch with a friend is always good for the spirits.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 9 Get Back on Track - Right Away

What do do . . .

For example, when Grace found herself taking a second helping of ice cream one night, she pulled out the card. This is how she answered the questions: . . .
  • Did I try any other Resistance Techniques? No.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 104.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I broke down and got into the candy at work, caused by incredible boredom of the workshop. 4 more hours today and then its done. Too much sitting in general, and then I was mopey at home and didn't feel like doing anything. I'm feeling hunger more often but not losing any weight; clearly I need to adjust something. I'm meeting a friend for dinner tonight hopefully so that will perk me up at least.
I'm sitting in my livingroom as I type this, with the christmas tree lights on. It's so festive and calming. I'll have to remember to just sit in the dark with the lights on at night, its a lovely feeling.
Karen-how exciting to have concrete plans for Thailand! Travel does seem so much more challenging these days, but it will be worth it I'm sure.
Maryann-sounds like you've had a lovely trip. I spoke to my friend in northern MI the other day and he said he had 4 inches of snow, ugh.
Penny-written plan is a great idea, I need to get back to that too and stick with it.
Gardenerjoy-hope you're feeling better- something like vertigo sounds hard.
Bill-bummer that the new recliner isn't fitting the need. Sometimes they change designs for the worse, for sure.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #36  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan and I'm still waiting for the next little drop in weight. I wrote most of the Christmas cards yesterday and finished them this morning. We have cut down, but still send 65 or so. I made two batches of Buttery Cashew Brittle yesterday and one more this morning. I decided since I don't need to leave to meet the hiking group until 8, I could get some things done around here. Our friend came over yesterday afternoon and took some photos of us and Otis of course. I had some printed and will pick them up today to put in some of the cards. Hopefully I can get the cards mailed today along with a small package to my brother. The package is my Dad's old little engineering tools. There are some small sharp items in there so he was worried about taking them in his carry on luggage.

Curlyjax I am so glad I don't have to be around the food at work anymore. I find that if I don't take a bite of the Buttery Cashew brittle I'm fine, but luckily it is just one item . . .so far.

Bill I'm so sorry about your recliner. What a bummer! I hope there are enough in the store for you to really know how each one works. I'm not just beginning to think about Thailand; I leave 1/16 and return 2/4. I think we're going to take a road trip to see girlfriends grandmother who raised her. Apparently it is a 10 hour drive, but I think that would be really fun.

Penny. I found a written plan worked very well. Currently I just have an outline of what macros to eat and food lists for each, but that is also working.

Maryann. The new clothing sounds very fun. I find I'm most comfortable in pretty conservative styles and in fact that would work better in a older climate, but in truth I'm often in my hiking things.

GardenerJoy I hope you're feeling much better today.

Well, time to get finished getting ready to go hiking and get Otis out one more time.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #37  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Busy, busy day yesterday with errands. I had lunch out and calories ended up in the 1500 range. No loss with that.

The new little car is home and working, I picked up a real tree (first in many years), and a sweet tree stand with a super easy foot pedal for tightening around the tree. I'm glad to see that process has improved.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 12-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

I am feeling much better -- thanks, everyone. Our next couple of weeks are going to be dizzying in the rise and fall of temperatures. It's time to make a habit of the self-massage technique that keeps everything draining well.

Today's our 30th wedding anniversary. In other circumstances, we might have found more adventurous ways to celebrate. Under the current circumstances, we decided to stay home, cooking food that we know that we like and watching a movie on a TV with a better sound system than even the most luxurious hotel room. We're happy about it!

Exercise +55, 305/1600 minutes for December
Old 12-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - RIP rock musician John Lennon (1980, NY City)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Excitement was buying a Douglas Fir Christmas Tree; our favorite kind. We're down to merely six feet height; can touch the top and install its star without a ladder. Acting like old people, LOL. Smarting a bit at $70 but I knew in advance that they're off the wall expensive this year. And, I read, in some places fewer choices than prior years. Got it from the same guy we've purchased from for the last 35 years. His kids who used to run around under foot now load the trees onto our car. The tree stands, happily, outside in the beat up aluminum pan from our basement that only serves that singular purpose once a year.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was reheated dahl with tortilla chips - an easy fix. DW managed to come home from Whole Foods with this year's bright red Poinsettia. A tradition here. The Amaryllis was brought inside, potted up, and set in a window to slowly grow throughout the season. We're getting into the mood.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy Wedding Anniversary. May you have many, many more. Ouch that the pandemic precludes a nice dinner out.

Karen (karenrn) - Your trip to Thailand sounds better each time you write. Three weeks is a good, long visit.

curlyjax - Lovely image of you sitting in your living room with the lights on your tree. It's a crime that so much money and time is spent on workshops that could have been used to invigorate folks and helpfully introduce them to each other's experiences.

Penny. - Congrats for your persistence getting your new car working. Glad to read a happy ending. Jealous of your tree stand with a foot pedal. We're still use one from the Neanderthal era that takes two folks twisting screws and feeling annoyed.

Readers -
Quote:

What do do . . .

For example, when Grace found herself taking a second helping of ice cream one night, she pulled out the card. This is how she answered the questions: . . .
  • How can I avoid this situation in the future? I can read my Advantages Deck before having this snack at night to remind myself why it's worth it not to eat more. And then, once I'm finished, I can immediately wash my bowl and spoon, brush my teeth, and get involved in something else. If I'm too tempted next time, I can just throw away the rest of the pint of ice cream. Better wasted in the trash than in my body.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #40  

Bad day of eating yesterday at work but I didn’t end up going out for dinner with friend so I ate less at the end of the night. I went to a nearby park for a walk and felt much better mentally afterwards. I also got my weights done. I wanted to get something done at home so I sorted thru some recipes and cookbooks while listening to my audiobook. This might be the way to go thru boring paperwork; have something on that keeps me focused.
My heel is killing me this morning-I’m not sure if it was the walk or the self massager thing I used; you can really dig in on the painful spots, which seems like it should help but maybe not.
Gardenerjoy-congrats on 30 years! That sounds like a very nice way to celebrate.
Penny- glad the car is working. I’m intrigued by the foot pedal tree stand, i’m still using the system of painstakingly adjusting the screws (or rather DS is!)
Karen-wow, that’s a lot of cards! Great that they’re done.
Bill-great that you're getting into the Christmas spirit with all sorts of nature in the house! That reminds me, I should get a poinsetta or two.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

curleyjax: I broke down at work on kettle corn. Why does that happen? I am four pounds from ticker and determine to initiate no sweets at work today.
Penny: That "No-no" zone is so scary. I begin to doubt I can lose. But both of us no we know how to do it. We have the skills.
BBE: Three cheers for the Christmas spirit. We have decided no tree since we will be traveling to Christmas eve and day. Still I am going to pull out some decorations.
Karen: Super credit for the slow and steady weightloss.
Joy: Happy Anniversary.

I have a dentist appointment this morning which means I have a sub for first period. it is ugly sweater day and I have red striped socks to complete the assemble. The sub said my classes did great and offered to have me automatically put him in anytime I need someone. That is a first. I am proud of the kids.

Today I am going to focus on not standing and eating.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

We enjoyed our quiet wedding anniversary. I'm pleased with that. And, also, it was easy to stick to a reasonable food plan.

Exercise +40, 345/1600 minutes for December
Old 12-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #43  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've gotten a lot done already this morning. Made one batch of cashew brittle, been 45 miles away to the nutritionist and back, picked up a few more photo prints at Walgreens and mailed the Christmas cards and also a small package to my brother. I've just started the fifth and last batch of cashew brittle. The first step, cooking to soft crack stage, takes awhile and only needs occasionally stirring.

The nutritionist is very happy with my progress. I'm losing fat and only about 1/2 pound of muscle total (per her special machine). I feel excellent and feel like my good plan is contributing to healthy eating without urges. I asked if she wanted to cut back on the food, but she doesn't think it would be wise with my level of activity. I guess I'll just be happy with the slower loss.

GardenerJoy A belated Happy Anniversary to you and dh. Being able to stick to the food plan is an bonus.

Maryann I bet you look adorable in your ugly sweater and striped socks. How nice to get a good report from the substitute. The slow and steady weight loss is working really well for me so far. There have been so many times that I would be satisfied with my current weight, but I think I want to keep going this time to see how it goes.

Curlyjax Good job getting your weights done. I am so bad at that. Such a bummer that your heel is giving you such trouble. I don't know if I could listen to an audiobook and concentrate on some things, but I do listen to music for those things. I love the audiobooks for hiking though.

Bill I bet your tree smells so good. I had to get a candle to help with some tree smell. I don't feel like $70 is too bad. I will admit the ones I was buying before we left Washington were taller, but I was paying quite a bit more even back then. The natural tree will be worth it for sure and so fun that you're buying at the same lot all these years later.

Penny Nice that you got your tree too and a car that works.

Okay, time to get to more frequent stirring.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Poet John Milton born (1608, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Fun to pick up the (6 yo) DGD after kindergarten. Early pickup because the whole school was doing parent-teacher conferences in the afternoon and evening. Our shift included staying with her until our DD and SIL had their conference after their work days. (She's doing very well; learning rapidly. I suspect that that must be the report of all kindergartners, but DD was very pleased with the conference.) Not much exercise - just too cold for her. There's a dusting of snow on the ground outside right now.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the last of three dips into the dish of "burger, beans, and rice." Green salad contained Red Bell Peppers because DW read that they are low acidic and she's watching that. We headed off to evening Zoom events - separate events at the same time. In the old days, we'd feel obligated to choose one event that we'd both attend. Now, we can Zoom separately from our separate offices.

Learned something unexpected in my Zoomed class today. The leader tried to share her screen showing a Prime video; it didn't show up on our screens even though it showed up on hers. Turns out that Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix all can detect when you're trying to share their paid streaming services on Zoom and block it. Seems reasonable, but I'd never heard of it before.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, it's easier to stick the plan when eating from one's own kitchen. Maybe you can plan a delayed anniversary dinner in June when the restaurants all have their outdoor tables.

maryann - Congrats for having a class so attentive that a substitute teacher wants to come back. LOL at the image of you in your ugly sweater and striped socks.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you're losing more fat than muscle. That's a lot of cashew brittle. Wouldn't work for me to be measuring that many cashews - I'd always be tipping the cook a few, LOL.

curlyjax - Ouch that your heel is a bother, but neat that you got a walk in the park anyway. Hope you don't have too much of the snow that we got just a dusting of.

Readers -
Quote:

What to do . . .

• What can I say to myself next time? It's not worth the few moments of pleasure - it won't be that pleasurable anyway because I'll feel guilty about it and I won't really be able to enjoy it. I'll be really glad if I resist.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #45  

There is snow on the ground this morning! Only a little and i’m sure it will melt today, but enough that I may wear boots and some better gloves.
Not much to report yesterday, other than I was a slug after work and did terribly with eating again. Time to rein it in. Definitely been in the “once you start downhill you might as well keep going” mindset which isn’t helpful.
I’m getting my booster after work today finally and preparing myself for possibly feeling bad tomorrow.
Karen- that’s great that the nutritionist is happy with your progress. Do you have to bring the brittle to a certain temp? Great job getting it all done.
Maryann-I’ll join you in the no sweets at work for today at least!
Bill-Interesting about the video. I’ve shared youtube videos but you don’t need to pay for those, so it all makes sense. Yay for time with DGD,.
Closed Thread