Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:55 AM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Walter Raleigh brings the 1st tobacco to England from Virginia (1586)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A neighbor asked me to gather a package from their front porch while they were on vacation. Ouch! It was an Amazon Prime package - triggering my fantasy that my Amazon Prime package is still out there somewhere trying to get to me. Like Buck in "The Call of the Wild." I'm so glad that I'm not the type of person to get fixated on something unrealistic. Refusing to let it go. Continuing to talk about it after it's dead. Like on and on forever.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, helped by leaving early to attend a production of Rossini's opera, La Cenerentola (Cinderella). So delightful to hear two and a half hours of bel-canto music that just seemed right. Rossini composed the opera in 24 days some 200 years ago. At that time, it was second in popularity to "Barber of Seville." Then it faded from being produced. Now it's back in favor.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - If I'm hungry when I enter the grocery store, I immediately think of buying chocolate or cookies.

maryann - Any on plan trip to a restaurant is a win.

Karen (karenrn) - Had to google Olathe corn. Now I have to add Olathe, Colorado to my Bucket List. Yes, protection from little critters that bite is essential.

curlyjax - Congrats for making it through your last day. LOL at "Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter movie."

Penny. - Thanks for the notion that we can eat more rationally since we've already eaten lots of great foods.

CJZee - LOL at the Instant Pot looking at you. Of the zillion sold, I wonder how many are being used.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 31 Decide about Drinking

How Much, How Often
tip!
When you drink,
notice and enjoy every sip.
Drink slowly so it'll last
longer. As soon as you've
finished your drink, order a
no-calorie beverage, so you
won't be tempted to order
another alcoholic beverage.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 221.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Last day of work went quite well. Lots of love and praise from my elders, I will miss them! And nice little presents which fortunately were not food. I have brought home a lot of resource files as well and the house is even more of a mess, but it will be addressed in time.
I will need to do some serious dinner and snack planning to survive this week in particular, as I start my new job Monday. I need to incorporate some protein snacks to get me thru the day, as I’m used to coming home and taking a little nap in the afternoon- no more of that. This will help jumpstart my return to better eating!
Reality hasn’t quite sunk in yet. I hope I don’t automatically start off towards my old job on Monday!
Bill- that Opera sounds lovely. I predict the shirts will come in time for Christmas
CJZee- I hear you about the nuts etc. And flaxseed which is supposed to be great for us has more calories than one would think too!
Penny- I like that idea from Penn Jillette. Unfortunately I had to jump right into the new job because of health insurance. I’m going to be paying one month Cobra, I didn’t want to have to pay more than that.
Karen-exciting, the trip is coming up!! Do you bring along supplies for things like blisters, or is that not an issue?

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-27-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #153  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was not on plan when I caved and had a little food for dinner. As expected, my weight bounced back up.

Maryann, hopefully the gain will woosh off quickly.

Joy, credit for sticking with the half sandwich and getting exercise in.

CJ, excellent that you are doing well with training! Credit!

Bill, lol about obsessing over the package! Maybe it's stuck under the driver's seat.

Curly, ugh the health insurance. It really keeps us in line, doesn't it? And such a racket. I hope that changes soon.

Last edited by Penny.; 07-27-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

BBE: Reading Call of the Wild always reminds me of the dangers of paying writers by the word.

Curleyjax: I usually shed a few pounds beginning a new job. I’m sure you’ll have a nice surprise.

Penny: Giving in to that extra bit of food is rough. I once again slipped into some peanut butter cleaning up the kitchen. This is a long race.

CJZee: Instead of an instapot I bought a stove top pressure cooker.It is intimidating.I started with beans. Fabulous and quick. Then I did spaghetti.

Today will be a very tricky day. I have family coming in and then a “hoe down” in the evening. With family, I have extremely painful memories of overeating (especially Mac and cheese which I know is on the menu). So my rule is no Mac and cheese no matter what. I just lost the weight from my trip to SF. I don’t want to do that again. So I have a plan which includes lots of water. I also give myself permission to leave anytime I start to feel like I want to eat.

Last edited by maryann; 07-27-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #155  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for following yesterday's food plan. The Whole Foods salad was yummy and filling.

I thought I was hungry at about 1:30 (way too early), but I got distracted by something and didn't feel hunger again until after 3pm. A good reminder that hunger is not an emergency.

I'm not doing my usual Saturday activity. Instead, DH and I will go to a "Family History Expo" to learn more about genealogical resources in our region.

The only challenge on today's food plan is the 1/2 sandwich at lunch, but I've done that successfully several times in recent days. Calling it a challenge, though, increases my determination and promotes celebration when I'm successful.

Exercise: +45, 875/1100 minutes for July
Old 07-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #156  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I didn't want to get on the scale yesterday after having the granola the day before, but I decided even after breakfast that I needed to see the number. I was very happy that it wasn't really up. Friday is supposed to be the weigh in day for the group I'm following or I wouldn't have worried about it. Yesterday I followed my plan and today so far so good. I'm making a lower calorie layered chicken and cheese enchilada dish for dinner, mainly to pack it up for dh to eat while I'm gone. I'm not doing near as much as I have other years, but he is fine with that and I'm especially glad I don't have to cook for the dog like we did for a couple of years for our old guy, Harley. I will admit we've been giving Otis some hamburger in with his dog food especially on doggie day care days. He's not a big eater and we want to be sure he eats enough when he has more active days.

GardenerJoy It's amazing how well distraction does to keep us from eating when we really aren't hungry. I went to the movie yesterday to take some of my time.
Maryann Mac and cheese is one I don't control well either. I do make it for dh when I'm gone, but he's so much better about portion control.
Penny I hope the little bump up bumps back down quickly.
Curlyjax Good luck on your new job. I hope you adjust to the hours quickly and find the change very positive in more ways than just the added income.
Bill I'm really glad you're not the type to be fixated on things, such as undelivered packages, too.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - US Senate ratifies United Nations charter 89-2 (1945)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Surprise! Amazon Prime delivered my two Polo shirts yesterday afternoon. Got an announcement email with a picture of the package on my front porch. (Was immediately shocked to see the privacy of my front porch posted all over the World Wide Web - before I calmed down and realized that it was just in a private email.) For those of you who doubted, I share Kenny Rogers who stood by me: Know when to hold 'em. Raising, of course, a major issue: I've already been refunded the $8 I paid out of $30 for the two shirts - $30 with $12 off for the Prime sale and $10 off using a coupon given out at Whole Foods. I already reported here that I spent 30 minutes in a typing 'chat' with the person/robot after I pressed the Amazon button [Contact Us] to get a refund. Thirty minutes for $8 was hardly worth it except to alleviate my annoyance. Now I have to estimate how long a 'chat' will take to undo a refund - an 'unrefund' I guess. It's not that I think Jeff Bezos' need for $8 trumps mine. I do have personal integrity meaning, of course, that I'll not to to jail (or h_e_l_l) for a few dollars - it'd have to be for a more substantial sum, LOL. There you have it. I have the shirts for a grand outlay of Zero dollars until the slow wheels at Amazon grind out that I now need to pay for two shirts delivered twelve days after I ordered them on Prime Day with 'guaranteed' two day delivery.

Exercise, CREDIT moi, was walking to a local grocery store to pick up some cooked chicken wings. DW sent me an email saying that she'd be home in forty minutes with four ears of corn from a Western Massachusetts farm stand - one of those with a box for money and no people visible. She paid 50 cents an ear for corn as fresh as we've had this season. Fresh corn is just the best. We ate about half the wings that I'd estimated was the right amount for the two of us. Minor CREDIT moi for not pigging out just because I could.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I do admire that you continue with your half-sandwich plan.

maryann - LOL at "the dangers of paying writers by the word." Mac and cheese is just the worst for overeating. I remember in my bachelor days eating a whole box of Kraft Mac-and-Cheese as if it was food.

Karen (karenrn) - You're a hero for cooking some stuff for your DH before leaving. I'm glad that Otis isn't spoiled - just a little hamburger now and then.

curlyjax - You win: "I predict the shirts will come in time for Christmas." Only you and Kenny Rogers kept the faith. Protein snacks for a long work day sound right.

Penny. - Ouch for getting hit with "a little food for dinner." Keep on keeping on.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 31 Decide about Drinking

How Much, How Often

what are you thinking?
Do you have unhelpful thoughts about limiting your drinking? If so, remind yourself that many people don't drink, even though they'd like to, because they're also watching their weight, have a health problem have a drinking problem, or get unpleasant side effects from alcohol. You're not the only one who has to restrict or eliminate alcohol intake.
Sabotaging thoughts are common among people attempting to cut out or cut back on alcohol. Create Response Cards to combat any you think apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: I feel like having a drink.
Helpful Response: I may feel like drinking, but that doesn't give me license to drink. I sometimes feel like buying things I can't afford or yelling at my boss, but I don't. I'd rather feel proud instead of guilty. I'd rather be thinner.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 221.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Bill - A prediction: Amazon will let you keep that $8. I wonder if they can tell you the route of the shirts were as they meandered Connecticut, that would be almost worth it. You could write a short story, this whole saga has been hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

karenrn - I think, for me, weighing every day, using a tracker on my food intake, and being in a weekly weigh-in group has really helped me thus far. Kudos for getting on the scale when you really didn’t want to. I know when I stop weighing myself that I’m flirting with danger.

gardenerjoy - wish we had a Whole Foods, the salads sound delicious.

maryann - lol on the dangers of paying writers by the word. I worked for the student newspaper in college and we were paid by the word, so I know exactly what you’re talking about.

Penny - are you not eating dinner? Has that worked for you?

curlyjax - I’m excited for your new direction in life! I really enjoy reading about your determination and plans.

bethturnaround - hello! I am new to this nice group. When you say “products” what do you mean?

Yesterday I finished a project that has been hanging over my head. It’s a big commission for a customer (I’m an artist) and I’ve been dragging my feet on it because I never know how clients will react to the final piece. I would much rather have people just buy something already in the gallery. Then they know exactly what they’re getting and I don’t have to deal with all this internal angst. On the flip side, I’ve never had anyone not like the final piece, but it is rather nerve wracking.

I lost 3 pounds this week, a sort of record for me! Yay! I will go back through my eating and exercise and try to figure out how to do it again, but I doubt I will find the “magic bullet”. Just keep on keeping on I suppose.

Last edited by CJZee; 07-28-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday’s exercise was trimming various things on the property and dragging them to the back “forest”. My son helped a lot with this. When we were done, it looked like a tornado had hit us, but hey, we’re not professional! Next year I should just hire someone in the spring to do a major ripping out session before its all overgrown. Or move
Bad eating: leftover cake and some ice cream and takeout. I was feeling sad and overwhelmed, partially due to hormones. I just can’t get everything done like I could when there were two adults here and that’s how it is.
I have planned some dinners for the week and DS is on board for helping with meal prep, as he gets home from his job at 1;00 and has the time. Today I had planned to see a movie with a friend (Once upon a time in Hollywood) and will make my healthy salmon dinner after that. I will do as much meal prep as I can this am, and need to find things like copies of my college degree etc to bring in. Once again I am mad at myself for not being more organized especially with paper, but ah well.

Bill- amazing your saga has suddenly ended! I am waiting for an email delivery of a Kohls gift card from work, which apparently was quite tricky to order. At least it isn’t sitting on a truck somewhere!
Karen- your meal sounds good. Glad indeed you don’t have to cook for Otis too!
Gardenerjoy- distraction does help with hunger.
Maryann- you have a good sounding plan. Painful memories are hard.
Penny- I look at your numbers and I’m so impressed! You will keep keeping on, I know.

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-28-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for following my food plan yesterday.

Today's challenge is that I have a task that I don't feel completely up to and that has to be done, whether I feel up to it or not. That's a recipe for procrastination which is a recipe for overeating.

So, my plan to tackle that challenge is to get the dreaded chore completed first. Then, I can relax about the rest of the day and won't need to worry that it will get in the way of following my food plan. That's my stated intention. I think I'll check in a second time today, after I've completed the dreaded chore, so that I can claim my credit and make sure I'm in a good place before tackling the rest of the day.

Exercise: +40, 915/1100 minutes for July
Old 07-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #161  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I've been so busy I haven't been on the computer at night like I usually am, so I haven't posted at night. I wrote my post in my head last night after I got into bed, but was too tired to get up and actually type it or even use my iPad from next to my bed.

Last night, I had a major success. We had an event in the city to go to where there is always a lot of food I don't need to be eating--and I overeat there. Since I'm totally on products (meal replacement shakes and bars), I drew myself a Bright Line and said I wasn't going to eat any of it, and put a bar in my purse for my 9:00 food for when everyone else was chowing down on whatever was served. I took out a shake for the drive down as well--and then left the shake on the counter. I was really hungry when we got home at 1:00 am--but I stuck with my Bright Line and didn't eat at the event. I had to talk myself out of it more than once, as I had that "I'm hungry" and "I can make good choices" insidious unhelpful choices--but I stuck with it, drank lots of water, and really felt good about my restraint. At 1:00 am, when we got home, I grabbed a bar and my iPad and read on the deck for a while, feeling really proud of myself.

I don't want to repeat that experience, so I put an extra bar in my purse for today, since we're going back to the city to take an architectural boat cruise with a large group. I'll have a shake this morning before we go, a bar at noon while we're eating for everyone to meet up, and then a bar at 3:00 when we go out afterwards. I'm bringing the extra "just in case" we're not home by 6.

My weight is coming down--about 12 lbs--that "whoosh" of the first week or two of really restricted eating is always a motivation boost for me.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

--Beth
Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #162  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I took a detour with my book and watched a netflix series (Sabrina) but came back to the book last night and finished it. It's only 160 pages and what a treat! How to have a green thumb without a broken back. I am taking some of her tips for houseplants and going to start throwing our compost garbage right down in the garden areas.

Karen, I'm glad the weigh-in wasn't as bad as you feared.

Maryann, I hope the potluck went okay. I made a whole food plant based recipe for mac n cheese with a vegetable and cashew "cheese sauce" but it is still triggering for me. I have to just make it for the kids and leave it alone. Wah!

Joy, credit for sticking to the plan!

Bill, hurray for the shirts! The corn sounds perfect.

CJ, kudos for the pounds lost! I cut out dinner for intermittent fasting, and so I can have a bigger lunch. It gets tough to shed the last few pounds!

Curly, kudos for getting outside and working on the yard! Mine is so ugly right now.

Beth, kudos for getting through the event! The resistance muscle will get stronger.

Last edited by Penny.; 07-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

I am down and frustrated today. I did so well all yesterday until dinner. Then I ad libbed the street tacos at the party rationalizing that I’ll eat early. It just went down from there. I added up the calories to over 1200 above my planned meal. The ice cream bars which weren’t even good were a form of self punishment. It seems I go from weekend to weekend destroying good progress every time. I still have guests so I don’t know if things will get better.

Today is a new day. I won’t record my weight until tomorrow. Maybe I am wrong about daily weighing myself. Maybe it is too discouraging. I don’t know.

At least I didn’t eat the same old Mac and cheese and make myself sick with my extended family. And maybe I just don’t go to parties.

I wish I were more upbeat but just keeping it real. I’ll make a plan for the day and try to keep cool.

Last edited by maryann; 07-28-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #164  
Green Tomatoes

Checking in a second time to report that I completed my dreaded chore. And, as these things usually go, it was easier and more fun than I anticipated. Now, I feel more confident that I can stick to my plan for the rest of the day.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:07 AM   #165  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Like joy, I am checking in twice today.

We had a wonderful outing--and it was a good thing that I'd brought 3 bars, since we ended up stopping (home center store!) on the way home and we didn't home until almost 7. I ate my bar while DH was perusing lawn irrigation parts. I ran out of water at one point and that made a lot of other things seem appealing, but I stuck on plan and reminded myself that I'd have water in another 20 minutes and it wasn't going to hurt me any.

I'm yawning, so I'm off to bed!

--Beth
Closed Thread