Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #61  

S/C/G: +71/+8.4/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight had a nice drop. Amazing that the <1000 calorie day is what is needed. Good thing I don't have much more weight to lose.

My local library was giving away the book Bored and Brilliant, which looked interesting, so I picked one up and am reading through it. It is inspiring me to set some boundaries around the use of my smartphone.

Maryann, the vacation sounds wonderful! Have fun!

Joy, sorry about the toe. I can be quite dramatic in the middle of the night when the dog ramp attacks. Ha! Credit for the improved flexibility.

Bill, credit for such an active day out with the DGD. That is impressive swimming ability for a 3yo.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #62  

S/C/G: wk#3/ lost 3lbs/ goal 1lb wk

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Penny: congrats on your big drop. I am back to my plan after a three day hiatus. Hopefully the change will help me drop.
BBE: Ill have to check out the veggie patty.
Gardenerjoy: glad the toe is healing.

My food is in My Fit Pal. I am allowing myself 85 grams of carbs which is 40 grams less than I have been averaging this summer. Credit for the tracking I kept up in June and actually putting that knowledge to use. I will hike this morning and then a boat ride on the lake. I love summer
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 287/241/139

Height: 5' 5"

I'm going to start and think of you all as coaches. So, hello coaches!

I think my main problem is I just like to eat a lot of food. Limiting the time in which I can eat food has helped me a lot. I also eat "sort of" low carb, I try to stay less than about 80 net grams a day, but sometimes I go over. I'm nowhere near ketosis. I can do true low carb and have successfully in the past, but thought I'd try something a little less restrictive. So far it's working, but I think you have to change things up now and again. The 17/7 intermittent fasting has been great for me, particularly since one of my rules is I don't eat past 6:45 pm. I thought that would be hard, but it's really not, so it's helped me eat fewer calories because of my self-imposed time constraints. I also try to stay below 1533 calories. (That's the number MyNetDiary where I track my food came up with to lose 2 lbs a week after I plugged in my stats.) I'm not actually losing 2 lbs per week, but I'm definitely going down. Who knows, it's all an experiment of n=1.

Yesterday for exercise, I went to the community pool and did water exercises. This morning, I went to the gym and rode the recumbent bike in a fasted state. I have read that doing aerobic exercise fasted really accelerates fat loss. I hope so. I did sort of HIIT sprints - 3 minutes of regular pedaling, 1 minute of maximum pedaling, 3 minutes of regular etc. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I read this was supposed to be helpful.

Maryann - I'll have to take a look at My Fit Pal. I ran across MyNetDiary, and I like it ok. It has a lot of foods in it. I use the free one, there is a subscription model that gives you more choices.
Bill - Your granddaughter swimming that far is amazing. And I can't believe there is a law outlawing the word "burger" in any context! Big brother.
Joy - Wow, you are super flexible!
Penny - I will take a smidge weight loss any day. Those smidges add up! I love that word smidge.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #64  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a bad day for a person who wants to lose weight. I decided to take the day off of most exercises, except those I do in the office for arms, squats, etc. I then proceeded to have some anxiety and frustration about knot tying and food packing and decided to eat some of my backpacking snacks which are some really high calorie things. And on top of all of that I had way too much dinner. It showed on the scale this morning, but thank goodness I know from past experience, if I get right back on program that gain will come right off in a day or two. This morning I got up and made my food plan, wrote about my off plan eating yesterday and headed to the gym for an hour on the elliptical and the other exercises that I've been doing at home. I will follow my food plan today and will also get down to business on the guy lines for my tent. I don't know why I let some of these things get to be a big deal. There is no perfect way to do things. With the food packing, I had to be sure 9 days of food would fit in my Bearikade Weekender bear can and then transfer it to a 5 gallon bucket that I will send to a resupply point. Then I'll be packing my bear can with 5 or 6 days of food before we leave 8/3. It's pretty tough to get it all in, so things are repackaged, etc.

CJZee I think you are in the same boat with most of us who are wanting to lose weight; we like to eat. I don't know if I know anyone who doesn't like to eat. Good for you for finding a plan that is working.
Maryann I'm glad you are having an enjoyable summer. As for as aps that show elevation gain, the Gaia GPS ap that I use does, but it is a bit complicated and costs. On top of the cost (I have the lower cost version), I have to upload maps to it. I also have an old Garmin GPS that I carry when I'm training at times just to see my accumulated elevation gain. Of course the iPhone shows how many floors you have climbed, but it is not at all accurate, not even on the same hike two days in a row. Sorry I don't have better information.
Penny Nice that you got a good drop, but under 1000 calories would do me in. It will be interesting to see what your maintenance calories will be when you are at goal.
GardenerJoy I tried the nose to knees and boy are my hamstrings tight. I either need to work on more flexibility or not worry about it. Good for you!
Bill Your swimming with DGD reminds me of when my brother and sister in law are here and their grandchildren come over and swim in our pool. They are like fish, but my brother always gets in the pool with them to be sure they are safe. Last time they were all here the pool was not very warm yet. Of course now it's almost like bathwater, but no one wants to come visit this time of year.

Waving to Curlyjax!

For accountability I'm telling you all that I will place the guy lines on my tent this afternoon. All it means is watching the YouTube as I tie the knots. I did one and it was not a big deal, I just wondered how long to make each one of them.

karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Julius Caesar was born (100 B.C.E., Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just a quiet day - getting some paperwork done. Summer is just the best for having few major pending events that need attending.

Dinner on the patio was gazpacho. CREDIT moi for a super healthy meal. The cukes and herbs were from our garden. The heirloom tomatoes were from the supermarket. Once again, DW delivered a stunningly good bowl of summer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for being so flexible.

maryann - A hike and a boat ride sounds like a good summer day.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL, I've never read a travel brochure advertising "Arizona in August." 9 days of food in one bucket sounds like some condensing is required.

Penny. - Neat that you're going to make your life more creative by mastering your boredom via Bored and Brilliant.

CJZee - Kudos for changing up your eating plan to keep yourself on track.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time.

Sabotaging Thought: I'm not the kind of person who can make special requests. I'm afraid that it will annoy the waiter.
Helpful Response: People make special requests all the time. I'm entitled to do so, too. Asking the waiter to modify my meal is okay. So is asking the waiter to wrap up leftovers for me to take home. If I were eating differently because I had a medical condition or a food allergy or because I was vegetarian, I wouldn't hesitate. Eating differently to lose weight is just as legitimate.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 218.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

I am finally officially hired as of this morning. The background checks cleared (as I knew they would) and today I will give my two week notice. I am so excited but it is starting to hit me that I will really miss some of the elders I work with (but not all!!) not to mention my co-worker. It doesn't feel like enough notice for them- not the agency, they'll be fine!- but i couldn't do it any earlier. Nine years is a long time to work in one spot! Hopefully i can just stay in this place for the next 13 years until I retire.
Tomorrow i'm heading off to see my dad for a few days so no check in then. I tend to munch in the car to keep myself awake, but this time I will also be practicing for my choir concert, so hopefully that will keep me out of trouble.
Maryann- so funny you say you love the summer- we new englanders think its summer all year round for you californians, but i guess you mean being off work.
Bill- that veggie “patty” sounds good, thanks for sharing. Enjoy that patio dining!
Penny- are there more camps your daughter is doing this summer, or are you done driving?
Karen- this is a new agency but similar to mine. It is a farther commute but easier than another one, being back roads. It will be fun getting to know some small towns. How did the placing of guidelines go? I have such nice memories of camping as a kid but no interest in doing it now
Joy- awesome flexibility! I used to be able to do that too,not sure i can now.
CJZee-its great that the fasting isn’t difficult, I’ve heard its an effective strategy. Laughed at- “I have no idea what i’m doing with the HIIT-” I can relate!

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-12-2019 at 07:32 AM.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #67  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down another bit.

I'm up early for the start of my three day work weekend.

Curly, congrats again on the new job! My daughter bailed on theater camp early, so thankfully no more camps lined up.

Karen, the planning for the food drops always sounded complicated and stressful to me. Credit for getting it all sorted.

Maryann, I'm glad you're enjoying your summee. The school year was so stressful for you.

Bill, those quiet days at home are so nice! The meal sounds perfect.

CJZee, credit for working your plan! Lots of people seem to use My Fitness Pal, and I'm using Lose It. Whatever keeps track, right?

Last edited by Penny.; 07-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

I had an 8am meeting, so I'm checking in late. I'd like to take a walk today because the weather is nice, but I'm still not walking normally. At some point, I'm going to just walk it out and it will probably be fine, but I'm not sure that's today.

Exercise: +20, 365/1100 minutes for July

curlyjax: congrats on the job!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #69  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. I stayed on plan yesterday but the scale did not budge. You can about imagine how much I liked that. I made a plan today and am staying on it. It was 90 degrees when I woke up at 4:30 or so . . . yuck, no hiking in that. I did go to the Y and hit the elliptical for an hour. Since then I've been home doing some housework which I will continue with in a minute. I did get the guy lines tied on my tent and it is all in it's tiny little bag ready to put in my backpack. I still love camping both car camping and backpacking. The one thing I'm not crazy about is not having a shower each day, but if there are enough streams or water sources it's just a matter of having a little privacy to get cleaned up. Okay, I had better keep moving while I'm semi-motivated.

karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 287/241/139

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Coaches,
I'm pretty happy with today. Had my personal training session at the gym. Did well with my eating. My wonky scale seems to be edging downward.

I ordered a food weighing scale from CVS which should be here any day. I had $29 in CVS coupons (I am a master at getting CVS discounts!), so I bought a couple of things online including the scale so everything was basically free. I think I'm a reasonably good judge of food weight, but a couple of ounces can make all the difference. I know when I'm measuring out those 2 Tablespoons of sunflower seeds on my salad, it doesn't seem nearly enough.

I am thinking about the massage I had with the massage therapist with "hands of steel". Although she used medical terminology, my layman's interpretation is as follows: "Your right leg is a mess." I actually have bruises on one part of my leg where she really went to town on it. She told my trainer that I have a lot of inflammation in my right leg. Hopefully, they will work together to figure out the right exercises to get it back in shape. I had very bad sciatica in it for almost a year, it really laid me low. No sciatica now, thank goodness, but it just generally doesn't want to work all that well.

Karen - I so love your hiking stories. You sound as if you have an adventurous life! Bear can! Years ago, I went hiking in Glacier National Park, and they told us to make noise to alert bears to our whereabouts. When I say hiking, I mean going for an afternoon walk, not real hiking like you do.
Joy - hope you get to walking soon.
Penny - those smidges just keep on dropping off, good for you!
Curly - a BIG congrats on the new job! It's always nice to be sought after and wanted. I remember my first job out of school, my Dad thought I should stay there forever. I left after 3 years, even though I loved it because I wanted new adventures and to do new things.
Bill - I want to be invited to dinner at your house. That food sounds so good.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Queen Victoria is 1st monarch to live in present Buckingham Palace (1837)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lots of walking, CREDIT moi, to get to downtown Boston to shop at a brick and mortar men's clothing store. I needed a standard blue blazer. You'd think there'd be racks and racks of them. I did find just the one I wanted. Had to accept that it's normal price of $350 was reduced to $99.99. Now, that's my notion of a sale. So I picked up some shirts. Found to my horror that men's shirts are now made without a front pocket. No way! A kind clerk led me to an odd shelf where old-fashioned shirts with a pocket were for sale. I ended up with $250 worth of shirts for $100. Good news is that I have the clothes that I need for some upcoming events. Bad news is that this reinforces my tendency to procrastinate buying clothes until a monster sale happens.

Dinner on the patio was rushed because we were walking to a performance of Shakespeare's Hamlet in a nearby park. Despite already knowing how it ends, LOL. It was a lovely evening walk only to discover that the play was cancelled due to earlier rain. So, we had a lovely evening walk home and will repeat the attempt tonight.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - 8am is unusually early for a non-work meeting. Hope your walking gets back to normal.

Karen (karenrn) - Around here mountain streams are nearly freezing cold. One has to really, really want to get cleaned.

curlyjax - Congrats on your new job with BIG Kudos for making changes in your life.

Penny. - Enjoy each little bit down.

CJZee - You're my hero for mastering CVS coupons. We get a one foot length of coupons every purchase - and have never managed to convert a single one.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: The food that's on my plan costs more than the food I really want to order.
Helpful Response: It's worth it! I'm worth it! What a great way to spend money - toward a goal that I really, really want to achieve.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #72  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Karen, kudos for going to the gym and getting your tie downs packed.

Joy, I hope the foot is feeling better today.

CJZee, that's fantastic you got the kitchen scale for free. It's easy to over do it with portion size.

Bill, my husband picked up a few shirts before a work trip and I noticed one did not have the front pocket. It looks odd to me, but maybe you get used to it.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I attempted a walk yesterday. Today, I'll stick with stretching because, at the moment, I get more exercise minutes that way. I may throw in some strength-training for variety.

Exercise: +10, 375/1100 minutes for July

BillBlueEyes: I end up at a lot of early morning meetings because young activists like to meet before their work day begins. A new phenomenon that works well with the influx of good coffee shops.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:38 AM   #74  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Fete de la Federation (Bastille Day) (since 1790, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the evening performance of Hamlet in the park. As expected, many lines were familiar: This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man ... To die, to sleep - To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub ... There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy ... Madness in great ones must not unwatched go ... What a piece of work is a man! ... Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Alas, be warned, the ending hasn't improved from the last time. (SPOILER ALERT: HAMLET is dead; his mother GERTRUDE queen of Denmark is dead; his uncle/step-father CLAUDIUS is dead; brave LAERTES is dead; lord chamberlain POLONIUS is dead; ROSENCRANTZ and GUILDENSTERN are dead; and sweet OPHELIA, daughter to Polonius, is mad.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Stretching is good stuff. I do wish that I could contort myself with the ease of my DGD, LOL.

Penny. - I could get used to wearing a shirt with no pocket when my valet walks behind me with my calendar in his pocket.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: My dining companions will notice that I'm eating differently from them (or from how I used to eat). They might say something that makes me feel uncomfortable.
Helpful Response: So what? If they comment, I can just say I'm trying to eat in a more healthy way. Then I can change the subject.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #75  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I was listening to music on Pandora and a wonderful cellist piece came on called Thursday by Takιnobu. Both dh and I were impressed by it and when I looked it up, saw he has a concert in our city next week! I grabbed up tickets, which are incredibly low priced at only $15. This musician seems to not have gotten the recognition he deserves yet, but I'm glad to have discovered him.

Joy, you're very good at scaling your exercise up or down to suit your needs. I just skip it altogether if I'm not feeling it in the slightest. lol

Bill, Shakespeare in the park is classic summer. I'm glad they had a second showing.