Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

The last 3 days, I ate significantly under my calorie plan. Today I ate over my calories by a little bit, which I don’t mind - I actually believe it’s good to have up and down calorie days as long as you aren’t too out of whack.

HOWEVER ... I did buy one of those pints of HaloTop low calorie ice cream, and I ate the whole pint, 320 calories. It honestly wasn’t even that good. I do not think this is a good thing to do, even if I could fit the 320 calories into my plan.

So, in thinking about it through the lens of the Beck Diet Solution, I am figuring out what I will do in future when I am presented with similar circumstances. The sabotaging thought started when I was in the grocery store, talking myself into the thought that I could fit this ice cream into my food plan, and eat something less than the whole pint. But ice cream is a trigger food for me. So, my main plan is: I have to modify my eating environment by not having trigger foods accompany me home.

Karen - I like FB, and am in a bunch of photography groups, and a few eating groups, but most are pretty big and aren’t forums like this where people actually interact and end up “knowing” each other. Unless they’re small groups. Maybe I’m missing something. PS - I love your comment about gathering supplies for hobbies. My husband does this anytime he gets interested in something. He spends hours on the computer figuring out the exact things to get, buying them, then never using them for the intended purpose. (I’m sure yours will get lots of use!)

Bill - I like the outdoors in the evening. I don’t have a pool, but sometimes I sneak into a hotel pool in the evening, it’s very relaxing. I have no shame.

karenrn - my brother lives in Flagstaff and he loves to hike. That food drop process sounds like planning the Apollo 11 moon landing!

gardenerjoy - I like that Frank Crane quote. I read it all the time. I think if you can create new habits, they can take the place of habits that aren’t so beneficial. For me, I made this rule that I wouldn’t eat past 6:45 pm. I really thought it would be hard, but it’s becoming a habit, and I haven’t had a problem with it at all. Rules, I guess, can become habits.

maryann - I’m impressed you have been posting on the site for years. I know when I did it before, I was much more successful, which is why I have come back. You are absolutely correct about the dismal success rates of “dieters”. It is a real accomplishment that you have been so dedicated, I will strive to do that too.

Penny - you may well be right about how the forums took a dive after FB and other social media platforms took over. I think 3FC also went downhill after Internet Brands took it over in 2010. PS - you sound like you’re in amazing shape.

curlyjax - be safe in your travels.

Last edited by CJZee; 07-16-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #92  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday-George Frideric Handel's "Water Music" premieres on the river Thames (1717)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - DW presented me with a quart of local, organic strawberries. So amazingly good. I had a bowl of them for afternoon snack and a bowl for evening snack. They have to be eaten quickly; the shipping strawberries that I buy each week last a full seven days - apparently the part that gives strawberries their awesome taste shortens their shelf life. Unfortunately, there was a can of whipped cream left over from some event long ago. DW wanted it out of 'her' refrigerator. The good Dr. Beck doesn't have a chapter on dealing with a food pusher who wants 'her' fridge cleared, LOL.

I made another purchase touted by Amazon Prime Day: a borescope that can peek under a fridge, around bend, into an ear, or inside a wall. The thought of using it to look inside a cylinder of a gasoline engine just made me quiver. Alas, the car I drive doesn't have a gasoline engine. And, Alas Again, I don't rebuild engines which is the task that makes looking inside them useful. Perhaps I can use it to identify an annoying earworm when some awful song gets stuck in there, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love your Apollo doodle - especially your attention to engineering detail.

maryann - Focus on the people not the food is such a great goal.

curlyjax - Neat idea to take a nap to break up a long drive.

Penny. - Yay for having a dog smart enough to let herself in to puke indoors where it belongs, LOL.

CJZee - Thanks for "I have to modify my eating environment by not having trigger foods accompany me home." I can use that.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: It's sad that I can't eat everything I want.
Helpful Response: It's SO WONDERFUL that I an stick with my plan and lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 218.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #93  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Quick check in. Food has been just okay and I'm glad to be leaving this morning at 6 to get out of the house and have 4 days of hiking. The weather here is that summer yuck. It was 115 degrees yesterday. It looks like the highs in Flagstaff will be 85 and no rain is forecast. My resupply bucket was mailed from the post office yesterday. The next thing I"ll be working on is praying for even more snow melt. I know that will be happening. You all have a good rest of the week. I'll be back on Saturday.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #94  
Green Tomatoes

I took a 30-minute walk yesterday -- the first since I bruised my toe. I'd like to think it's the beginning of a new trend, but we're under a heat advisory for the rest of the week, so I'm not sure how much outdoor activity I'm going to be willing to pursue.

Exercise: +50, 510/1100 minutes for July
Old 07-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #95  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Joy, credit for the walk and I love the doodle!

Karen, have a great four day hike. Fingers crossed the snow melt meets your hiking hopes.

Bill, the perfect strawberries remind me we need to rip out our stawberry plants and try a different kind. I want those!

CJZee, I tried the Halo Top ice cream and thought it was yucky too. A very weird chemical aftertaste. Bummer! Nicecream wasn't that great to me either because it has slimy stringy texture. If you have a Vitamix or similar blender, blended frozen mango chunks is heavenly.

Maryann, the low calories are a pain, well literally starving the fat off will never be exactly fun times. But, it's temporary. Amazing that I can eat up to 2000 cals of plant based foods and maintain no problem. Losing is not so flexible.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #96  

Hi coaches,
I did okay, not great, today, came in just at my calorie level. I would have eaten more if I wasn't tracking my food, so credit for tracking.

Today was supposed to be my training day, but my trainer cancelled last minute. Sadly, it was just after I ate breakfast - which I only eat on training days. As an intermittent faster, I try to not start eating until lunch at noon except training days.

Anyway, I'm just not excited today. I didn't do any exercise except running errands. I guess that counts for something. When I had my sciatica, I couldn't even run errands. I couldn't even walk across the room without excruciating pain. I always have to put things in perspective, and writing to this group helps.

Tomorrow I'm going to physical therapy for the first time (well, the first time this year). My lower back and hip has been giving me fits. Wish me luck. CJ
Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Apollo 11 Broadcasts TV to Earth on its way to the Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise, CREDIT moi, was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day. She showed great progress on her mini-scooter. Up to now, she'd run into a wall; stop; turn around; and then continue in a new direction. Yesterday she steered the thing. Such a reminder of how many things one has to learn in the physical world to be a human. In the afternoon, she ran in the sprinkler - even as a light rain appeared. By devious mean, she ditched her swimsuit squealing delightfully as she got wet from the warm rain and the cold sprinkler. It's amazing how well a normal sized beach towel completely covers a toddler.

Monsoon intensity thunder storms came in the evening. It was LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. Just not used to that much noise and pounding water. Then it all passed away and drizzled a bit as DW grilled some chicken on the small deck attached to our back door. Dinner salad was made with greens from our garden, including a bit of tangy arugula and our first two Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes. Evening snack was a whole California Navel Orange. A good day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Walking during a heat advisory isn't pleasant.

Karen (karenrn) - We may be warmer here than Flagstaff today - don't expect that. Glad the resupply bucket is on its way.

Penny. - On plan and holding is good.

CJZee - Happy physical therapy day. Ouch for the missed training session - especially since you changed your eating plan for it.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out
Once I start preparing myself in advance
for eating out, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 219.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I am way up again, at 176, its time to focus. I’m thinking I am going to need to organize and prep dinners much more, when i’m working fulltime, which starts in about 9 days, yikes! And snacks etc will need to standardized as i’ll be on the go, and much busier. That should all help with weight as well. I’ll carve out some time this weekend to start making a plan.
I’m excited but getting nervous about keeping the household running when i’m working fulltime. I don’t have much energy in the evenings but i’ll have to get some things done anyhow, and i’m way behind in picking up, sorting papers etc and its quite overwhelming. I can’t yell at my kids for their messy rooms because i’m just as bad. I guess i need to figure out what is the most important and work from there. The summer is never my high energy time. Plus once DD goes back to college it will be easier, with one less person to think about food- and all her stuff gone
Penny- frozen mango chunks sound heavenly, thanks for the tip!
Bill- your borescope sounds like a fun toy, I bet you can amuse DGD with it! That was quite the storm last night.
CJZee-You’re very gutsy to sneak into a hotel pool, i love it! Hope the PT helped.
Karen- safe journey and happy trails
Maryann-maintaining on vacation is great. Focus on people not food, an excellent mantra.
Joy-hope your heat situation is getting better.

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-18-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #99  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down another nice drop.

CJZee, sorry you had to miss the training session. Credit for sticking to your calorie range anyway.

Bill, I love a good thunderstorm! It sounds like it was a powerful one.

Curly, I have said the same thing about not being justified in telling the kids to clean their mess when I'm even worse. I can really clutter up a surface quite easily. It's my talent.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #100  
Green Tomatoes

Tonight is the last anxiety-provoking event in a week that's been full of them. I'm looking forward to tomorrow! I'm hoping to use it to regroup and reverse a troubling trend toward caffeine and chocolate as comforts.

Exercise: +20, 530/1100 minutes for July

curlyjax: Sending encouragement your way as you think through healthy changes to your food plan while managing changes of your life. That's a great time to do it. You're going to establish new habits any way, the may as well be healthy ones!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning from the streets of San Francisco. We walked lots yesterday playing tourist. I was proud of my food except for the demon Sees Candy someone always brings. There is a half of a box left. Two rules today: focus on the people and eat anything but the Sees Candy. My friends are foodies and we have successfully shared small portions so I expect success.

Weather is the best I have seen in winter here. SF is notoriously cold now. Twain said the coldest winter was the summer he spent in SF.

Hopefully lots of walking.

BBE: A trick for strawberries is to put them in a bowl with a teaspoon of white vinegar in a bowlful of water. Drain and put in the fridge. They will last a long time. We have a strawberry field and it always works.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #102  

The physical therapist was able to poke me where I hurt, so that's always a good thing since I can't explain my problems very well. He gave me some back-bending exercises and told me not to fall over when I do them, haha.

I have been doing the 2x weekly gym personal trainer sessions which are good, but for the past couple of weeks I have added in some recumbent biking on off days as well as some water exercise which I think I'll do tonight. I have noticed my bad hip seems worse the next day after the recumbent bike, but it's not always easy to tell what causes pain unless it's happens right when you're doing something. A comment on another thread said that spinning can be bad for your hips, so I wonder if I should do the biking? It’s so hard to know what to do.

I haven't lost any weight this week yet, but you never know. I'm keeping the faith! Calories came in under budget today. HOWEVER ... I did weigh myself on the scale at PT, and my weight even after eating and with big heavy athletic shoes on was exactly the same as what I weigh at home in the morning with no shoes and no food. So “maybe” my scale is a little high, and I’m actually 2 lbs. less than I think I am? (We take our joys where we can.)

Bill - I love how you describe your DGD running into the wall with her scooter. Little kids’ learning is so interesting. I remember reading that there is a very specific time when a child can understand that the volume of water poured into a low fat glass can be the same as the same volume of water poured into a high skinny glass. Early on, young children always think the tall skinny glass has more in it, even if they see the person pouring the same amount of water into each one, or even pouring the water from the fat container to the skinny container. But then - a switch in their mind flips and they “get it”.

Curly - a big congrats on the new job!!! How wonderful! But - I can hear the stress in your words. Remember, not everything in your house needs to be perfect. Do your children pitch in? PS - You can give them chores that aren’t limited to keeping their rooms clean, you need to get some of the burden off your back. Mom needs to say sane.

Penny and Curly - I’m horrid at paperwork, always have been. That said, I do what needs to be done, and then put important backup papers in a plastic bin to go through at tax time. I put the other papers that “probably aren’t important but I might need them who knows” in another plastic bin sort of as a back-up. So, I file using the two plastic bin method, haha. Then I don’t worry about it. However, I do drive more organized people nuts.

gardenerjoy - I probably drink too much black coffee, but I like it. I don’t get nervous. If fills a void, a minor vice I think.

maryann - I have been to San Francisco at least 3 times in my life, and the weather has always been gorgeous! I guess I have lucked out. I am writing down your strawberries tip, thank you.

Last edited by CJZee; 07-19-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Apollo 11 performs Lunar insertion burn to enter Lunar Orbit (1969)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent the day reading stories about the Apollo 11 flight to the moon. Can't get enough of the stuff - even though I'm not paying attention to the TV shows. I'm not a good TV person. Dinner was grilled chicken eaten on the patio - wearing a light long-sleeved shirt. Still delightful time outside. We'd headed toward a scorcher tomorrow. Predicted to be over 100 degrees F.

Got an email from Amazon letting me know that the guaranteed 2-day delivery for my Polo shirts would be met a day or two later. No apology. No explanation. Shouldn't surprise me that when they sold 6 Billion dollars' worth of goods that there might be a delivery bottleneck. But, there's more to life than waiting for an Amazon delivery.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yes, caffeine and chocolate are great comforts.

maryann - Thanks for the tip about strawberries dipped in diluted vinegar. So jealous of your trip to San Francisco.

curlyjax - Seems smart to try to reduce the number of things you do to keep the house running. It's a small contribution when I pause as I'm about to set something down to think if there's a place I can set it down where it won't have to be moved again.

Penny. - LOL at having the talent to clutter a surface. Think about where you'd put your Olympic Gold Medal.

CJZee - Like this thought: But then - a switch in their mind flips and they “get it”. It boggles my mind how kids learn stuff. Good news that your physical therapist can touch your pain - a good first step to healing.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 31 Decide about Drinking

Does you diet plan discourage alcohol? If so, how do you feel about giving it up? Drinking alcohol is an individual choice. My personal decision is to have a drink only occasionally because I'd much rather spend my calories on food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 220.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Today’s challenge will be an ice cream social at work. I am going to have one small bowl with toppings and enjoy it. I don’t have a plan for dinner but i do have some things in the house I can eat ie turkey meatballs, baked zucchini spears.
Not looking forward to the scorcher weekend coming up but yay for a/c. I may try to get yardwork done in the early am, everything is so overgrown now!
At work I'm sorting thru tons of papers/information etc. I've had my office a long time so it is quite an ordeal Various people are telling me how much they will miss me which is quite pleasant for my ego.
CJZee- I have issues with my hip too, I have arthritis in the right one and will be having a total hip replacement in the near future. I have a stationary bike and use it for gentle range of motion, and i think it is a very good way to keep the joints moving. I know what you mean about not knowing what causes the pain, its very frustrating.

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-19-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #105  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight came down another tiny smidge.

I'm going for a walk on the rail trail with my gym/travel friend this morning and then the cello/violin concert tonight. It should be a fun day!

CJZee, I'm glad PT went well. Your two box paper sorting system sounds good. My clutter isn't so much papers but books, knitting, drink cups, my work pocket fodder: gloves, hand sanitizer, name badge, etc. It adds up quickly! I have taken many photos of cluttered surfaces for an I Spy book of our lives. Like snowflakes, no two messes are alike. lol

Joy, I hope you are enjoying your down day!

Bill, we dropped Prime because it seemed like the two day shipping rarely happened, and the prime tv didn't have much we wanted to watch. So far, I still mostly get free shipping.

Maryann, SF was freezing when I was there too. It's hard to dress correctly when I started out in the inferno that is Redding. Credit for stepping back from the Sees.

Curly, I wonder if the new office will have the sweets temptations. My office has some but I rarely have to go there. Good luck getting all the stuff sorted.
Closed Thread