Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #76  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I ate two salads yesterday, one more than the day before. Let's see if I can manage three today!

Daily weighing streak: 1, Weigh-in: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +35, 475/1200 minutes for October

curlyjax: The days that I manage three salads are when I eat one at lunch, one for an afternoon snack, and one at supper. A lot of things have to go right to make that all happen!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #77  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is the same (up). I purchased a sweet old king bed frame with a bookshelf and lights in the headboard. Awesome! It reminds me of the old waterbed frames.

Beth, I hope everything is going okay with the move!

Bill, good thing about kale is that it shinks down to practiclly nothing in the sautée pan.

Joy, good job on the two salads. For some reason it feels like a lot of effort to put together a salad. I do better sautéeing or roasting a bunch of veg for quick serves out of the fridge.

Curly, declining pie at a social gathering definitely deserves credit.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #78  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good evening coaches,

Just a quick check in. Food was not perfect over the weekend, but it was today. Today Justine and I hiked Tom's Thumb with Hiking Suzanne. Those two put me to shame. Hiking Suzanne has been hiking all summer in Park City (higher elevation) and Justine is just young and super fit. I tried to remember who I was comparing myself to and just that I was only slightly behind on the up hill and not at all on the down hill. We are having the wettest October on record if I haven't already said that. It may rain in the night, but if it's okay in the morning we'll get another hike in. Might see "A Star Is Born" in the afternoon. Took dh to the airport this morning. He is in Florida until Sunday. I'm grateful to have my guests to help me keep Otis entertained.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #79  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

We're successfully moved and we were very productive on Saturday night and Sunday—we got a ton of unpacking and organizing done. There’s lots more to do, of course—we didn’t even start our offices.

I’m in CA for most of the week. My weight is up a couple of pounds and my new jeans are tight. Traveling is a challenge for me. I’m taking this one day at a time but somehow traveling makes me feel as if I ought to be able to eat and snack without restraint. Today is day 1 of 4. Was totally on plan with 5 products. So, 25% of my trip done and I didn’t give in to temptation. I did weigh this morning and I read my cards today which I’ve been skipping.

My plan for tomorrow—3 products then dinner with my brother. I don’t know where we're going. When we talk, I’ll find out. I generally want seafood when out here so I’ll suggest that. Fish is always a good choice.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Jadwiga is crowned King of Poland, despite being a woman (1384)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Waked, CREDIT moi, to an evening event where we learned the complexities of coral reefs. Saving the coral reefs is a challenge. The recent studies showed that a single week of water that was unusually acidic or warm affected the growth of the coral for years to follow. Damage can come in a short burst. They're not just for their beauty; they initiate the food chain that feeds vast ocean fish.

Eating was a special joy because we stopped at our favorite sushi place on the way home. We get a vast amount of food, but don't feel over full. It's a small place where we chatted with the chef and the waitress - the only two workers - about their fish supply, the challenge of making perfect sticky rice, and their pride in their Miso soup. There just aren't that many calories in raw fish. We need to get there more often. An extra joy is that their prices are so low that a reasonable tip is off the charts as a percentage. Life is good.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It cracks me up that I'm now waiting each day for the count of your salads. Thanks for knocking down my assumption that three salads meant one for breakfast. By-the-by, the tomatoes that we picked green because they just weren't getting any riper on the vine, grew red on the kitchen window shelf and still tasted seriously better than grocery store tomatoes.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope your DH is south of the Florida panhandle. Love reading that you have hiking buddies that keep you going.

curlyjax - Socialization is good and a spontaneous dinner invitation is just the best. Hope you and your DS get that humidifier going.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Congrats for getting yourself moved and partially unpacked. It's sobering to have to handle every item owned in a brief period.

Penny. - Yay for a new bed frame with a headboard. Headboards seem to be a thing of the past.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

The Benefits of Writing Down What You Eat

Several studies show that keeping a written record of what you eat increases the likelihood that you'll lose weight and keep it off. One study conducted at St. Francis Medical Center in Peoria, Illinois, found that diets who kept detailed food logs were even able to lose weight over the winter holiday season. Dieters who didn't keep a log gained weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 142.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I'm going in late today since i have to stay late for a meeting. They will provide dinner which is sandwiches so i'm pretty sure I won't overeat. The trick is to not reward myself afterwards for getting thru it! This morning I have to work on paperwork for DH's estate. I didn't realize I had to get some things done by the end of the year so the push is on now. I get stressed but I do better with deadlines!
Gardenerjoy- wow, salad as a snack, i'm impressed!
Bill-ooh, I should pick some green tomatoes and let them ripen. I keep forgetting I have a little garden
Penny-your bed sounds great! I like to sit up and bed and read sometimes, can you still do that with the shelves there?
Beth- good luck on all the unpacking!
Karen- its funny that you are comparing yourself since you are miles ahead of the 60 year olds I know!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #82  
Green Tomatoes

I ate three salads yesterday! Since I know every one was waiting to see how that turned out, LOL.

Daily weighing streak: 2, Weigh-in: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +25, 500/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #83  

Good morning!

Eating was on plan, 124 days now, and weight is down to only one pound above my low now.

Beth, traveling around your move sounds exhausting! Have a nice visit.

Karen, kudos for the hikes. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Bill, the big sashimi bowl is my fav, chirashi I think it's called. It's so beatifully arranged!

Joy, yes, we were all waiting and cheering you on. Ha! Credit!!!

Curly, you're right, I don't think the bookshelf headboard allows for sitting up and leaning back. Hmm, I've always just used a couple pillows and lay down. I hope the paperwork is straightforward and done quickly.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #84  

Good evening coaches,

Another on plan food day. Justine and I hiked Sunrise today which we also did last week. It felt much easier today so that was encouraging. It may have just been because it was cooler out, but possibly because of increased hiking. It's a pretty strenuous hike, but only 4 miles. This afternoon we all went to see, "A Star is Born". It was a tearjerker for me but I did like it. Even my nephew liked it and said he had a lump in his throat. Our weather has been so unusual. It didn't hit 70 today and usually it would still be close to 90 for a high. I'm not complaining AT ALL, but I know it wasn't what our company expected. They leave tomorrow afternoon, so I'll get back to personals then.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #85  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

This is a 4 day trip and I have managed 2 days of good food choices. Had 3 products yesterday and then a great meal with good choices with my brother. I didn’t record my food though—need to get back to that.

I also got a short walk in—just took a break from work and enjoyed a 20 minute walk in the sun.

Today will be challenging—there’s a work dinner tonight at a restaurant with great desserts. However, I am going to have a salad and a cheeseburger without a bun and no dessert or alcohol. Decision is made.

—Beth
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - National Fossil Day (since 2010, U.S. National Park Service)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Late start this morning due to sleeping an unbroken eight hours. That's a rare one for me; perhaps I have to call my doctor to see if I'm OK, LOL. The world is jumping around here as the (3 yo) DGD explores the cardboard Halloween decorations that we will put up for Halloween evening. It's rather tame and uninteresting - except to a toddler for whom everything new is interesting.

Eating was OKish. Dinner was Clam Chowder from Whole Foods - still as good as it was before Amazon bought the place. We're among the folks who sneer a bit at the changes that Amazon has made. We'll have to see how it plays out. Also for dinner was a tomato salad made from one of our garden's kitchen window ripened large beauties. Absolutely fantastic - especially since the temperature was below 40 degrees F last night. Summer is a dim memory.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Celebrating Three Salad Day! Perhaps to become a national holiday.

Karen (karenrn) - Your A Star is Born looks like a tough flick to watch. Kudos for choosing house guests who help you continue with your hiking.

curlyjax - Great reminder: "The trick is to not reward myself afterwards for getting thru it!" Nothing like an unplanned snack as a reward for staying on plan, LOL.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Super Kudos for making good food choices on a four day trip. Neat to have a plan in your pocket for tonight's restaurant.

Penny. - Had to google chirashi bowl - now I'll be looking for a place to try it.

Readers -
Quote:

Monitoring what you eat in writing as you eat it facilitates your sticking to your diet for the following reasons:

It helps you remain accountable for what you actually eat. You might think you don't have to take the trouble to record what you're eating, that you can just keep a mental tally. Yet, it's truly amazing what our minds both naturally forget and allow us to forget when we don't really want to remember. Even the most nutritionally adept - such as registered dietitians - are guilty of forgetting about some of what they eat. In a study completed at Louisiana State University, researchers asked dietitians to estimate the number of calories they were consuming. The dietitians underreported their actual caloric intake by 10 percent!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-18-2018 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

Trying to get lots of desk work done today in anticipation of taking a day trip tomorrow. That's not the kind of work that requires extra food for fuel, so I'll aim to stick to my plan.

Daily weighing streak: 3, Weigh-in: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +50, 550/1200 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes: So far, the only change I've noticed at Whole Foods is that they scan something that says we have Amazon Prime. That's supposed to save me money, but that hasn't happened yet. Instead, Amazon knows even more about me than they did before.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #88  

Mornin'!

Yesterday was on plan and no change to the weight.

NSV: I bought the next two sizes down in my work scrubs and am ready to retire the old ones. I hate it when anyone comments about my weight, good or bad, and my dumb thinkig is that if I have the exact same dark blue scrubs in every size, nobody will notice that everything has gotten smaller.

Beth, you're rocking the travel eating out! Credit!

Karen, what kind of dog is Otis? My pug kevin is snoring loudly on my feet, and I have a mini doxy. Both will have no qualms about stealing my food if I leave it for any reason.

Bill, the sashimi bowls are so beautiful, I incorporated it in a painting of my son, sitting across from me at a restaurant. It might be featured more prominately than my son.

Joy, you didn't say if it was another salad day! Your fan club wants to know.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Women are considered "Persons" under Canadian law (1929)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She required more lifting as she mastered the next level of climbing a brilliantly designed rope structure at a local playground. She did as well as the length of her arms allowed. Fear isn't holding her back. I did a lot of lifting and holding, particularly when she slid down a pole "all by myself" only avoiding a nasty crash because granddad was slowly lowering her weight.

Dinner was vegan! I had offered to take DW to a nice restaurant for her birthday. We passed this place, true bistro, while driving and chose to go back and give it a try. I had a mushroom dish with sliced hard cheese (cashew cheese, of course). DW had Red-red Black-eyed peas. Portions were small; if I ate there every night I'd lose weight. But I didn't come home and snack - so CREDIT moi for accepting a reasonably sized meal. The celebration called for splitting a mango-raspberry dessert. I let the noble fruit name lure me into ignoring that vegans eat sugar without flinching. A neat aspect of the restaurant is that it didn't serve a bread basket when we sat down. The menu did allow us to purchase rolls made by a local top-shelf bakery. We didn't order them, but I'd have eaten them if they'd just arrived in a basket. I like that. There is no good reason for a rational meal to have a chunk of bread added just because one has to wait a few minutes for the kitchen to prepare the meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy Day Trip today, wherever you are. Neat observation that a trip doesn't require extra food.

Penny. - LOL at the thought of hiding in your scrubs. Who could possibly spot your size change if you buy the same color?

Readers -
Quote:

Monitoring what you eat in writing as you eat it facilitates your sticking to your diet for the following reasons:

We don't necessarily consciously lie to ourselves about what we've eaten. It's just that it's really easy to forget about the small amounts of leftovers, the cream in our coffee, the second helpings at meals, the tastes we're offered in the supermarket. Checking off what you've eaten and writing down what you hadn't planned to eat forces you to become aware of what you're doing. You can't fool yourself when you're looking at the evidence in black and white.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #90  

Good morning coaches,

I woke up way too early this morning, but it didn't seem I would get back to sleep so I made a cup of coffee and looking at the computer. I took my guests to the airport yesterday afternoon and dh is in Florida until Sunday. I'm kind of glad not to have to worry about anybody else's food needs for a couple of days. I have things in the house that are healthy and I'm going to work on eating what I have on hand, especially the veggies. Yesterday was a so-so day on both the food plan and exercise. I sent the snacks out of here with our niece, but a single serving of ice cream was left in the freezer . . . that is until I ate it. This morning I'm going to take Otis to doggy daycare and get out for a 10 mile hike for the first time in quite a while.
Bill That restaurant looks beautiful, both the decor and the food. Yes, it does look difficult to overeat there. A triple bonus.
Penny I sure don't want anyone mentioning my weight when it is going up, but I do love a compliment when I'm losing. Otis is a really beautiful try colored cocker. He is mostly black and white with some tan eyebrows and one front leg is black with some tan underneath. I know I am biased, but people have even stopped their cars while driving by when we're walking to say how cute he is. Sometimes he kind of prances when he walks and his tail is always wagging. He doesn't get people food and would probably rather eat the napkin than the food.
GardenerJoy Enjoy your outing today. I hope it's something fun.
Beth I bet your anxious to get back to your new home to continue settling in.
Waving to Curlyjax and Maryann.
I only have about two more hours to kill until I leave for the hike. I can almost guarantee I'll be wanting a nap this afternoon.
Have a great day!
Closed Thread