Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I did bring home half my lunch yesterday so credit for that. I did not do so well in the bakery- bought too much. And it was all okay but not fabulous, I think the fact that it was cheap suckered me in as well. This morning I feel so heavy in general.I have GOT to get a grip, I don't know how many times I have said this to myself. Today i am off work, meeting a friend for breakfast but I have already planned out what i am eating. There won't be any treats to tempt me for today anyhow.

I like today's quote Bill, thank you for continuing to do this.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #122  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Between Otis having a cough, the stock market down and my weight up when I thought it should be down, I was in a mood yesterday. Otis has only coughed about 10 times, but I took him to the vet and he's on an antibiotic. I'm leaving on Friday for 5 days and I want to be sure he isn't coming down with something. He won't go to doggie daycare until we are sure he is fine and not spreading germs. The scale hasn't been my friend lately and I know I am will continue to work at it. I just keep bouncing around at a few pounds heavier than I was earlier in the year. I'm making 24 hour plans, but I haven't followed them as closely as I need to. Today is a new day, but unfortunately lunch is out and so is dinner. The dinner meeting is the hiking group in a tavern. After checking the menu I see the only option is to eat before I go. Credit for checking the menu and not figuring they would have something healthy. I did get my exercise yesterday at the Y with an hour on the elliptical and some weights. Today I'll do some body weight things at home for exercise and back to a hike or the Y tomorrow.
Curlyjax I'm right there with you getting a grip. We can do this.
Bill I also was happy to see today's quote.
Penny Are you on the same food plan or have you changed it up?
GardenerJoy I hope the doctor's appointment went well.
Beth When we moved back into our house after our remodel last year, the designer hired a guy through the framing shop to hang all the artwork. It was less than $200 and boy was he worth it. I know you are really handy, but in case you want to farm something out.
Maryann I am thinking about you and hope we hear from you soon.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #123  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My BP was 114/78. Yay! I attribute the number to daily walks and a low-sodium diet.

I forgot to weigh again today. It's not a priority at the moment, but I trust it will be again sometime next week. The daily weighing streak is a tool that I'm enjoying, even when I fail. That's the best kind of tool.

Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +20, 850/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #124  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is unchanged. I really thought I'd see a loss today! Maybe tomorrow.

Bill, we had salmon too and I'm reading through that Obesity Code book now, and just read through a section about farmed salmon being fed pellets of grain instead of their usual diet. The grain fed fish and cattle leads to higher insulin spikes, which leads to obesity. Well, okay then! This book is rather depressing.

Karen, hoping Otis is okay. I've been doing the lower calories guided by the Lose It app, and roughly 8/16 intermittent fasting. Also, low sodium because my dh has Menieres,and I've stopped adding salt to the cooking. I'd say I also stick to whole foods and no refined carbs/sugar, though I did have a piece of chocolate pear cake this morning. It was the first in 129 days so, I decided it was allowed. Lol

Joy, hurray for the excellent BP reading!

Curly, enjoy your day off!
Old 10-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #125  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Yesterday wasn't such a great day, in terms of my behaviors, but my weight was way down this morning. I don't know how that can happen. I tried to post but our internet was acting up and I wasn't willing to get up and go figure it out--or ask DH to.

Today, I have lots of credits:
  • Weighed and checked my sugar and recorded both--on my spreadsheet and in MFP
  • Recorded all my food for today and was under on carbs and calories--and didn't use that as an excuse to eat more
  • No sweets (yesterday too!)
  • Read my cards in the afternoon
  • And took my first walk here from the new house--43 minutes to the forest preserve, a lap around the lake, and home again--perfect length! I'll be doing that for a while until it starts getting dark too early--then I'll have to figure out a different evening walk, even if I can still do the lake on the weekends.
  • Posting here
  • When I made dinner, I withstood the desire to nibble until the very end--so not 100% successful, but 95%.
  • When I was still hungry after finishing my dinner, I went back to the kitchen and cut some celery sticks. They were beyond my eating plan, but I feel good about going with that choice rather than toast and butter, which is what I did yesterday
Skipped behavior:
  • 5 pages of a diet book
I have one more mega victory because I read my cards--I had immediate responses to the 'want a sweet' craving--and the craving went away when I stood up to it. The cards really do make a difference in keeping the thoughts at the top of my brain rather than something I have to dredge up--and find easy to ignore.

DD is on her way back from picking up DS and his girlfriend at the airport--I'm so looking forward to seeing them!

I have a big Mensa event this weekend--starts tomorrow night and goes through Sunday. It's going to be a food challenge--I haven't quite made a plan yet--and I know I need to--failing to plan is planning to fail.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 10-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Artist Pablo Picasso born (1881, Malaga, Spain)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. Today's big deal was to demand that 'baby' sleep with her. That's normal. Then, for an hour, every few minutes she got up to announce, "Baby is being naughty. She won't sleep." Over and over again. No sleeping happened. For the first time ever, she went downstairs by herself to get her new book Mixed, bounded into my office with her usual, "Read this to me." Admiring that she's old enough to pull off such stunts, but mourning the hour of rest that we had when she napped.

Eating was OK until an evening event about conservation of Atlantic Puffins on Eastern Egg Rock Island, Maine. Folks have brought them back after one hundred years of total wipe out by commercial hunting for feathers. It's a heartwarming story about science done by volunteers and low paid apprentices. So heartwarming that I overate homemade brownies as if I was trying to 'get my money's worth' from the $5 I put in the basket collecting money to pay the library for renting their basement for the evening. Everything about nature is done on miniscule budget.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat to recognize that it's a tool even when you miss a step. The DGD taught me a lesson. Of your two recommendations, I had purchased Chung How to Be a Lion by Ed Vere because I 'knew' that would be a long-time favorite. I let her open the package; we read it immediately once, quickly, and she was off to her next thing. No comments. Later, I bought out the library copy of Mixed: A Colorful Story by Arree Chung; she slammed the book shut with her standard shout "The End" followed by "Read it again." Which, I did, with her comments about each picture and her pre-empting the shouts of the red birds. Then she flipped through the book for the third time to point to the different colored birds. Meanwhile, the grandmom eavesdropping from the kitchen, set out red, yellow, and blue finger paints. The DGD mixed the various colors just like the book had described. On the drive home, she requested 'Colors' by name and then also the 'Lion book' to be read by DW Her judgement is that you made superb recommendations; Thank you.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope Otis gets over whatever is bugging him.

curlyjax - Do I even know how easy it is to get suckered into overeating because it's a bargain. You're welcome for the daily quote; I enjoy typing them in each morning as it forces me to read it slowly.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yay for your first long walk to the forest preserve from your new house. Good luck with the challenge of your event this weekend.

Penny. - Ouch that a good read is depressing. It's hard to find non-depressing factual reading material these days.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

How to Monitor in Writing What You Eat

Carry the food plan you wrote the night before with you throughout the day. As soon as possible after you finish eating, make three kinds of notations:
  1. Put a check mark next to the things you ate that were written on your plan.
  2. Cross out anything you had planned to eat but didn't.
  3. Circle any food that you ate too much of and write down and circle any food you ate that you hadn't planned to eat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 143.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

I helped a friend who has to move a bunch of plants due to learning that most of her flower garden was on the neighbor's property -- which just got bought by a builder. We worked over three hours with lots of stretches, lunges, squats, and a surprising amount of exercise for the arms, too. I'm not going to count all the minutes because it wasn't very aerobic, but I'll give myself credit for half of them.

Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +90, 940/1200 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes: glad the books worked out!
Old 10-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #128  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight finally dropped a whole 1.8 pounds. Less than halfway to go. I can't wait to join you all in maintenance mode, but I suspect the second half will probably take even longer than the four months it took to get here!

Beth, credit for working the Beck plan! Enjoy the visit with ds.

Bill, sorry about the loss of the DGD nap. Homemade playdough and all the kitchen gadgets (butter knives, cookie cutters, etc) can keep them busy at the table but it does come with the cost of cleaning up bits of playdough all over the floor.

Joy, gardening is no small task! All that squating up and down wears me out. You are a good friend to help out.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #129  

Good morning coaches,
Yesterday was a perfectly on plan day. The luncheon served a salad bar that included chicken and shrimp, so it was easy to make a healthy choice. I did have salad dressing, but no bread and no dessert. I ate at home before attending the hiking meeting and from what I saw others eating that was the best option. It's always motivating to go to the meetings though to meet new people and hear about where others are hiking and backpacking. I learned about a book from a FB hiking site and downloaded it to my phone Kindle ap for this weekend's backpacking trip. It is called Old Lady on the Trail and is about a woman who completed the triple crown, which is the Pacific Crest Trail, the Appalachian Trail and the Continental Divide Trail at age 76. I started it in the middle of the night when I wasn't sleeping and I'm looking forward to the inspiration. I have my food plan tracked in MFP for today and will head to the Y soon for an hour on the elliptical. I'm mostly packed for my trip, but need a few food items at the grocery store. I'm not overdoing it on the food since we are only hiking about 7 miles per day. The weather should be perfect. It will be cold to start at about 36 degrees on the North Rim, but it will warm up as we head to the bottom. It isn't as cold on the South Rim and it is always nice for it to be cool as we hike out.

GardenerJoy It sounds like you got some good functional fitness. Aerobic exercise is over rated, you were building strength. I need to tell myself that more often because I know having more muscle on board would burn more calories around the clock.

Bill Your little granddaughter sounds like a spitfire. What fun she must be. She is just a few months older than Hiking Suzanne's granddaughter who is similar.

Beth Yahoo about a big drop on the scale. It is so encouraging to see that.

Penny No sweets in 129 is a victory for sure.

Waving to Curlyjax and Maryann.

Oh one more credit for me . . . I stopped at the new gym I was planning to join yesterday and joined. They have a ton of classes at all times of the day. I do well with the aerobic stuff but I really need more strength training now that I'm not going to Crossfit. It's only a few miles away and very reasonable. Not only that it will be half the price after some changes in my insurance in January. Also, just to let you know Otis seems to be just fine. We'll continue the antibiotics because I think it has cured a bacterial thing that was making his lip folds a little smelly, but he hasn't been coughing. I have no idea why he was coughing the other day, but we are over protective older parents, so there you have it.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #130  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Margaret Sanger arrested for obscenity (advocating birth control) (1916)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to cast my early vote. Massachusetts had three ballot questions with the one about a law to control the number of patients per nurse getting hot editorials for YES and for NO from both sides of political spectrum. Most folks want to solve the problem of overworked hospital staff, but disagree whether the law proposed would help or hurt the problem. For some jobs, there was only one candidate and I had to vote for them even though they were not on my list of competents. Oh Well. Also stopped at the drugstore for an errand and, with a $5 coupon in my pocket, explored a new Target store. The Target is small - so small it's like a corner grocery store. I didn't find anything to buy which shouldn't surprise me since I'm rather facile at finding reasons not to buy stuff.

Eating was OKish. We were out until late at an event that offered 'light refreshments' which turned out to be oatmeal raisin cookies. The thought of a long evening with my stomach growling led me to make an excuse for having the cookies. Tried to compensate by having simple cheese-toast for dinner when we got home late. Close enough. We did have fresh mango for evening snack - a first for the season.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for exercise saving a friend's garden.

Karen (karenrn) - Yes, "only seven miles per day" sounds modest - except when it's almost straight up and down like your Grand Canyon trails. I didn't know the notion of The Triple Crown - walking all three of those long trails. Hard to imagine.

Penny. - Congrats for making a milestone with Kudos for recognizing that the scale tapers off more slowly toward goal.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Monitor in Writing What You Eat

Be sure to make these notations immediately after eating. If you wait, you won't be as conscious of what you're eating, you'll be at higher risk of unplanned eating, and you'll forget about some of the food you ate - all of which increases the risk of your gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 143.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #131  

Just a quick check in to say I'm off to the Grand Canyon today. We'll drive to the North Rim and begin our backpacking trip tomorrow morning. The weather is supposed to be very good. It will be cold to start at the North Rim, but warm as we descend. It is actually forecast to be 90 for a high at the bottom on Sunday. I'm glad to get out and get my exercise and enjoy the beautiful scenery. It is so green around here from all the rains we have had this month that I expect the Grand Canyon will be just magnificent. You all have a great weekend. I'll be back on Tuesday evening.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

I'm leaving early tomorrow for a creative retreat in Excelsior Springs, MO. It's one of those towns with natural springs that attracted Victorian health-seekers. The 125-year-old hotel, The Elms, has recently been renovated for modern health-seekers. The Elms is where Harry Truman hid out the night he was projected to lose re-election to Thomas Dewey.

I plan to spend much of my retreat plotting my NaNoWriMo project, a novel that I'll write the first draft for in November.

My quest is to find the best salad in town.

See y'all on Wednesday.

Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +25, 965/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #133  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is unchanged.

Karen, enjoy your trip!

Bill, kudos for getting your vote in.

Joy, the retreat sounds so nice. Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Roman Emperor Constantine the Great receives his Vision of the Cross (312)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the subway for the evening concert. The Mozart Clarinet Concerto was mind-boggling beyond belief. The soloist, Eric Hoeprich, had made the historically accurate Basset Clarinet from only one engraving in an old program. Apparently no instruments exist from 1791 so it had been a mystery what the clarinet from Mozart's time looked like until this engraving was recently discovered. This guy saw the picture and just built one. Never have I heard one instrument fill an entire concert hall with such wonder. I feel such gratitude that civilization existed long enough to produce such as Mozart and that I get to listen to his music played.

Eating was OKish - too many snacks because I had stuff to do that I didn't wanna. Life is easier when the deadlines leave no room for procrastination.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Waving back toward the Elms in Excelsior Springs, MO with its ghost of Harry Truman - what a place that must be.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which my computer reports to be at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Glad you planned for that. Views should be spectacular.

Penny. - Waving back toward a sane and lovely normal day. We all can't go galavanting around the globe, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

Marcia made the following Response Card:
If I start to resist writing down my plan tonight, I'll remind myself:
  • I'm going to need it when my motivation goes down.
  • I haven't been able to stick to a diet without doing it.
  • It'll take only three minutes at most.
  • I really want to lose weight because of all the advantages.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 147.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #135  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight dropped a bit.

It's my work weekend and I've realized I procrastinated too long and suddenly have way too much to do! I have company coming in a few days, and need to clear out the entire downstairs for some new flooring going in week after next.

Halloween party tonight at the kids' friends house, they look forward to every year. I got dh and I raggedy ann and andy costumes.

Bill, the concert sounds amazing! It sounds like we both procrastinated and have stuff to get done. I'm queuing up the Rocky music for us.
Closed Thread