Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 7 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Coaches, i am feeling sorry for myself It is really hard to deal with all household things,paperwork and kids on your own, especially while you're missing your spouse. I got a ton of paperwork done finally and popped into the car to head to the post office- it failed to start. SIGH. I talked to my mechanic and he thinks its the alternator, so today I need to call AAA and get it towed over there. (Fortunately I have an extra car which I did not let DD take to college!)
yesterday I also had the septic tank guy come, and today i was going to be late into work anyhow as an exterminator is coming for mice. Now i may not make it into work at all and I hate to waste my precious vacation days but oh well.
And then my DD called feeling sick and wants to come home tomorrow which means a lots of driving and waiting on her I sound like a mean mom but she is coming home next week anyhow, and she is exhausting to be around.
i went right to the food last night after talking with her . But today is a new day. OK, thanks for letting me vent!!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #92  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today's day trip follows well-worn paths. I know exactly when and where we'll eat and I have a plan.

Book club tonight means that I'll have carry-outs for supper. That, too, is something that I know how to do in a healthy way. I just need to implement the plan.

Daily weighing streak: 4, Weigh-in: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +45, 595/1200 minutes for October

curlyjax: sending warm virtual hugs. Good for you for the "ton of paperwork" completed.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #93  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight moved down today.

The entire day was spent watching the new Netflix series of Haunting of Hill House. I'm not usually into the scary genre but thought I'd give it a try, based on high praise. It was so good! Maybe I should read the book. I'm waiting on two other requests from the library and they're taking forever.

Bill, the restaurant sounds great! Lol at the vegans and sugar comment. Yes, I've heard "oreos are vegan". We can root out the unhealthy in most diets.

Curly, that is an unbelievable amount of crap to hit the fan all at once! Credit for getting everything checked off the list.

Karen, Otis sounds beautiful! Cockers love their people so much too. Enjoy the hike and quiet time at home.

Joy, have a wonderful day out.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #94  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

I’m home. Of my 4 day trip my first two days were good food choices and my second two were horrid. I’m glad I’m home. I’m going to make time to walk tomorrow—I think it’ll be good for me. Food will be easier being at home.

I feel overwhelmed with all there is to do. The hard part for me will be to focus rather than try to gallivant in all directions in all rooms at once

G’night.

—Beth
Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Streptomycin, antibiotic remedy for tuberculosis, isolated (1943)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library for the standard reason that some kids books had to go back. I fondled a few new books but they were all for kids a bit older than the DGD. It's hard to choose books for a kid - how to know? I just remembered that on DGD day, she sang the 911 song for us. For any trouble, call 911, help will come. Don't know if she knows what it means to call 911, but she's memorized the number. Then she sang a song about the Nina, the Pinta, and the Sancta Maria. I'm now waiting for her to sing a song about the Periodic Table of the Elements. If it's a song, it just goes right in that brain.

Eating was OKish. Dinner was grilled chicken even as the newspapers told again of a bunch of Salmonella poisonings. The same advice is offered: wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw chicken; cook chicken thoroughly. Maybe Day Care needs to teach that in a song to their three-year-olds. Salmonella lives here; it isn't going away.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat to know is advance when and where you'll eat.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for sending those snacks away with your niece. Yay for the thought of a ten-mile hike.

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts for all the tasks that you have to face alone. In my book, it's acceptable to acknowledge that raising kids can be a PITA even if you love them.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Welcome home to a house with a zillion things to do to complete your move and the need to avoid "gallivant in all directions." And thanks for using 'gallivant' - that's a word from my childhood that I don't hear much anymore.

Penny. - Thanks for the reminder that Netflix can consume a bunch of time. I'm not a horror film type myself.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating
tip!
At some point during your diet, I guarantee that you'll feel tempted to stop monitoring in writing what you eat. Usually, this happens when you stray from your diet and are trying to avoid facing it and feeling bad. When you notice this temptation, take a step back. It's 10 times more important to write things down at these times. Beware of the sabotaging thought that says, It doesn't matter if I don't record my food intake this time. Of course it matters.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 142.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

Only one salad, yesterday. An advantage to developing a salad-as-snack habit is that I, at least, get one salad in, even if both lunch and supper are carry-outs.

Daily weighing streak: 5, Weigh-in: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +45, 640/1200 minutes for October
Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #97  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I have a loose plan for the day that includes walking Otis, hiking Sunrise a 4 mile fairly steep out and back and doing some shopping in the afternoon. I have a ladies luncheon to attend next week and would like to find something new to wear. My hike yesterday was really good. The weather was perfect, the desert is very green from all the rain and I felt great. Food was on plan and I need to keep it that way.
I'm going to get up and get going so will get back to personals later today.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #98  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is sameish.

A while back I rsvp'd for another meet-up bike ride for today and am not feeling so confident about it now. It's not a slower ride and the pace is faster than I'd like. Also, I have a slight headache, after two kids have had headache involved sicknesses.

I'll take a tylenol and still go. Hopefully it's just a headache.

Beth, welcome home!

Bill, when it comes to kids books, we do judge a book by the cover. Ha! It's a mad grab. I know some people research it closely, maybe my kids have missed out on something.

Karen, credit for the on plan day. Have a nice hike!

Joy, credit for meeeting all of your daily goals!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #99  

Good afternoon coaches,

My morning hike was cut in half by the wind. It was windy right from the start, but just got worse the higher I got. After I was a little more than half way I asked a gal who was coming down if it was any better up further. She had actually turned around for fear of being blown over. I doubt I would get blown over, but it was miserable. Since I had such a long hike yesterday I gave myself a pass and came home. I just got home from the mall and did find a couple of things, a top and some side zip black slacks with tapered legs. I didn't actually buy them to be worn together but they probably could be. I will probably be hitting the mall another time or two in the next few days. Luckily it only 5 miles away or so.
Penny I hope the bike ride goes well and that you're feeling better.
Joy I think I had better follow your lead and at least have a salad for dinner. There are lots of salad makings around here. In fact I think I'll commit to that for dinner tonight and one tomorrow for lunch or dinner.
Bill Maybe I need to start singing to get some things to stick in my brain. I like the quote for today. I know that tracking my food is a huge help. The past few days I've been making a plan in the morning and then referring to it to remind myself what I intend to eat.
So far so good.
Beth Glad you're home. I hope after a little rest you won't feel so overwhelmed. It's not going anywhere.
Curlyjax I'm sorry you have so much to deal with. Bill's right kids can be a Royal PITA. You are doing so much. I hope you are giving yourself credit for moving through this difficult time.
Time to see if I can get Otis brushed a bit. Take care all.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #100  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday- Dr Lee DeForest demonstrated his electrical vacuum tube (radio tube) (1906)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made it downtown to hear, yet again, The Barber of Seville. It's some 200 years old and continues to please. It was a new production with annoying costumes but the same endearing music. And, as always, the good guys who are so much in love marry at the end. Exercise was walking to the subway and walking across the Boston Common with its evening crazy folks coming out. The vendors were selling Boston Red Sox Pennant shirts. Even the cast of The Barber of Seville appeared at curtain call holding Red Sox banners and caps. It's fun to be in a sports town when its winning.

Eating was good; DW and I went to Whole Foods to buy dinner to serve to the couple who came to our house to join us at the opera. Whole Foods delivered with an assortment of roasted peppers - that we'd never had before - as well as its time-tested salmon and pasta dish. All one has to do is close one's eyes and hand over a credit card. DW made a kale salad with the never-give-up portion of our garden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You should patent your "salad as a snack" idea.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for such strong winds to mar a good hike. Smart to take the wise road so you're sure to be able to hike again.

Penny. - Hope that headache goes away and you're back on track.

Readers -
Quote:

The Benefits of Writing Down What You Eat
Checking off what you've eaten and
writing down what you hadn't planned to
eat forces you to
become aware of
what you're doing.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 143.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #101  

Good morning!

Food was on plan and weight is the same.

Yesterday's bike ride was a disaster! It's extremely difficult to find a meetup ride that is slow enough for me. I took a risk with this one because they made it sound very casual, it's in my town (in case I need to bail), and the posted speed was 14-17mph which is a little faster than my average but I wanted to try.

They were going so fast, I overheated myself trying to keep up. By the third time they waited for me to catch up, I ended up dizzy, nauseous and sitting on the road. One lady hung back with me while I recovered and then on the return she rejoined them and I tucked tail and found my way back to the car. So embarrassing!

I can do a decent distance but at slower speeds. Another lady confirmed they went way faster than the projected pace of 14-17. Ugh!

Karen, sorry the winds turned you back.

Bill, it sounds like it must have been a good eating day to be upgraded from "okayish." kudos!
Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #102  

Good morning coaches,

Food quantities were a little larger than they should have been yesterday even though the foods themselves were all very healthy. My plan today is to really watch the portions and to eat sitting down without distractions. I always eat sitting down, but not without distractions. I''m hoping I will key in to when I am satisfied and not feel I need to clean my plate. But first, I'll make the portion a little smaller. Otis and I walked this morning and it is a warm 74 degrees and breezy. My exercise today will be housework and shopping. I plan to go to a different mall and look for a few more things.
Penny I'm sorry about the bike ride. I truly know that feeling. When I first started hiking I was nearly always the last one up the hill even with struggling to get there. I hated it. Not feeling good to begin with probably didn't help you either.
Bill You take in so many fun things. I keep telling myself we'll do more when dh is retired, but honestly I doubt it. If I really want to see even close to what you do, I need to start making it happen with friends.
Well, back to some housework. Everybody have a good day!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #103  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is the third birthday party for the great-nephew. We'll also get to see his baby little sister for the second time.

Food is impossible to predict at a party that begins at noon. I want to be prepared to encounter the sorts of foods that the 20-something parents and their friends can eat with abandon, including lots of sweets. And, therefore, to eat very little.

I have no idea what, if anything, we'll want to eat later in the day, so I'm not planning that either. We'll have time for some food-planning and grocery-shopping, if needed, after the event.

Daily weighing streak: 6, Weigh-in: +0.25 kgs, Exercise: +45, 685/1200 minutes for October

BillBlueEyes: I bought two books for birthday gifts and like them both. We'll see if he does! Mixed: A Colorful Story by Arree Chung is blue & yellow make green with a not-too-subtle message about the blessings of diversity. How to Be a Lion by Ed Vere has a message about being yourself, even if it's being a very gentle lion who refuses to chomp ducks.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Women in France allowed to vote for 1st time (1945)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On an afternoon bird walk, CREDIT moi, we saw a Great-horned Owl where I've never seen one before. What a magnificent bird! We had one person who'd never been out birding before. Hard to convince her that this was a significant sighting - much more so than the Mute Swan that she thought wonderful.

Ate responsibly, CREDIT moi, at a potluck supper. Mostly. Turns out that I had stopped by Trader Joe's to resupply my almonds and walnuts almost making it to the front door when I bumped into a lovely young lady giving samples of a pumpkin shaped chocolate mousse two-bite pastry. Had the sample. So very, very good. As I started to walk away I remembered that I was on the way to the potluck. So, ducked back and bought a dozen to add to the two dishes that DW had already made. Thus I got to have one under the label of being a responsible attender of a party.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, parties that begin at noon need to provide their entire food plan in advance. The last one I went to had rather sparse looking cheese trays about, then a truck shows up with a dozen pizzas. Just ordered How to Be a Lion for keeps - looks like a winner. And A Colorful Story from the library. Thanks for sharing your choices.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to focus on sitting down to eat - one of Beck's big strategies that caught me by surprise.

Penny. - Kudos for stretching yourself on the bike ride even if you, eventually, had to stop. You'd have been proud of your kids if they'd done that.

Readers -
Quote:

The Benefits of Writing Down What You Eat
Continually monitoring what you eat will provide you with the following benefits:

It helps you strengthen your motivation. It gives you an opportunity to give yourself credit, especially when you consciously tell yourself how good it is that you ate according to your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 143.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-22-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: HTML issues
Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #105  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is no plan. I'll make a plan for the next week or so later today and go to the grocery store, or not, depending on what the plan ends up looking like.

Daily weighing streak: 7, Weigh-in: +005 kgs, Exercise: +50, 735/1200 minutes for October
Closed Thread