Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #16  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Milestone for today--I am down 50 lbs since the first of the year. I am ecstatic and will soon start planning our trip to NY. I feel so much better.

And I love shopping in my tubs of smaller sized clothes. I need to do a long session of trying things on and sorting through them. There's stuff in my closet that's too big to wear and stuff in the tubs that is still too small. I've got to get back to the state of "everything in my closet fits and is something I want to wear".

---

I never posted this last night!

I guess I'm posting twice this evening.

--Beth
Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #17  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Coaches

Spent another day at home on the mend. The only way I know how well I am is by talking the cat out on his leash in the morning. I was out there with him a good 20 minutes today before it became too much for me and I had to scoop him up and bring him in. Yesterday it was half that time so things are improving.

I also managed to sleep on the couch halfway through last night. Started in the loveseat but my cough and breathing was settled enough that I felt I could do the couch and I did. Wow. To have to work up to just simply laying down is something new for me. I would have gone into the bedroom but I was sweating up a storm and DH hates the window open so I stayed out in the living room with the living room windows throwing air down on me.

Today I was able to nap in the bedroom and I'm heading in to, I hope, sleep there all night after I send this post.

Foodwise I am not on much of a plan except liquids and juices and soups. Citrus. Whatever will help me with this bronchitis which just feels like a heavy duty cold now. I feel like I own the largest deepest pair of lungs ever created. I will sure be glad when this too passes.

I'm going to leave this here. Just wanted to say hello and wish you all well.

Bethturnraround congrats on your 50lb milestone! Fantastic.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #18  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Today was a great info/networking conference--and there was a lot of food. I had my bars. I feel really good about that, since I know how much I would have eaten previously. Of course, I'm going to have to learn how to not eat 'the old way' at conferences after I transition to food!

I sent 2 hours tonight trying on clothes. My closet is much sparser and there are 3 large bags of clothes to give away. I don't want to deal with the 'press and hang everything up' give away places but I'd love to find an alternative to Goodwill!

onebyone: I hope you're on the mend.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 05-04-2018, 03:18 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Thomas Henry Huxley, British biologist, born (1825, Ealing, London)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Long bird walk in the morning at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Mass. The Warblers are just coming back, including the Black-throated Blue Warbler which was a treat to see. I left the group to take a shortcut back to the car; I managed to walk the longest distance possible, LOL. It's easy to get turned around when you're only looking up.

Evening event was about apples. Massachusetts played a role because that's where the folks from England first planted orchards. The key issue is that every single seed is unique. Planting an apple seed doesn't grow a tree that produces the same apple. To get that, you have to graft the desired tree's branch onto another tree. So the zillion Red Delicious Apples produced in Washington State every year come from the same tree - albeit grafted onto an orchard full of others. I ate cheese and crackers for dinner - not exactly a healthy meal.

onebyone – Glad that you're improving - as measured by longer cat walks. We opened storm windows yesterday, at last. I loved the breeze on my face all night.

maryann - Thanks for "I must swim upstream diligently just to maintain." It's easy to want to coast upstream.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Love the notion of shopping in the closet. Super Kudos for sticking to your bars in the face of conference food.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Week 2 Get Set: Prepare to Diet

How did Week 1 go for you? If you accomplished each day's task, then the likelihood that you're going to succeed on the Beck Diet Solution program is excellent.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 97.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

I turned over in bed at 4:30 this morning and whacked my head on the night stand. I've got red bruise at the corner of the left eye and a swollen patch beyond that. DH fetched an ice pack immediately so it's all doing pretty well. I looked up the "Head Injury" in my medical reference book and we know what to watch out for -- but none of the scary symptoms have materialized.

So, that's my excuse for not weighing this morning. Yesterday I didn't weigh or post because I had a morning appointment and it threw me off my routine. When my routine is more habitual, neither one of these things would have thrown me off. I'll get there.

Like nationalparker, I'm thinking about how to approach this in gentler ways. I'll just keep gently nudging myself in the direction I want to go. I think that will work more often than it doesn't and make it more pleasant to live my life. And that's good enough.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #21  
persist

Post 30%

Coaches

I slept in bed for 30% of the night. Upright in the loveseat recliner 30% and on the living room couch with the window open 30%. I say "slept" but I didn't sleep right through. It was more fits and starts but at least I am calmer about this turn of events. I am managing and accepting.

Today I have to be a bit active. I have to drop business cards off at the guild. Our pottery sale starts today so my cards need to be there. The gallery artist in our adjacent artisans shop is coming in to do a demo/meet the artist day today. Not really a day but a few hours. I want to make sure she is settled and ok.

My Boticelli-inspired painted rose-shaped wood relief carving needs to have its sides painted and the back painted and signed and then the whole thing needs to be varnished. I have to get on that. It's due Monday and varnish/varathane takes at least a day to cure. (I've attached an image of this below.)

Healthwise, I'm not coughing much but when I do it's hard to stop. And it's from the very depths of me. I have lost my sense of taste. What remains is a bit of salty, sour and sweet. But just the highnotes I'd say. Texture and temperature are right up there but actual flavour is gone.

MIL called to see how we were both doing. She was worried about our "weak lungs" and how "at our age" if we were having so much trouble how would we ever get by as we get older? And then she reiterated how worried she was for us. This is her coded way of reminding us we weren't smart enough to have children to take care of us in our old age and because we have no children we will suffer greatly or perhaps perish. I find it very annoying to have so many people so very worried about me. Most are, really, just worried, as I am sure she is, but I do understand I don't have children. It was not an accident but a choice. In my own family I saw how mother's children did not all step up to care for her when she needed it so her reasoning is faulty. However, were I in better shape I would let it go like water off a duck's back but instead I bring it here to you, my coaches, and deposit it.

Enjoy your day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30762800_1620570474716677_6813045614387251359_n.jpg (61.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #22  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

An early post for me - I volunteered to drive a few folks to the airport here at 5:30 a.m. so they didn't have to Uber and since I have a rental car, it was an easy decision that was much welcomed. Got back to my room and started working. My flight leaves mid-afternoon and then I'll get home before 11 p.m. hopefully. I have SO much work to do, but a great deal of it has to wait until data is in early next week and then it's an absolute mad rush.

Food yesterday was so-so. I am not on the phase appropriate food, but skipped the roll and cheese on a grilled chicken sandwich, but had the smear of guac and plenty of grilled jalapenos with it, so credit for not just leaving it but having them not let it go to waste by me leaving it on plate. No credit for eating the biscoff cookies from the flight that I'd saved. Two packages. That was a sugar/flour hit.

I had brought a top and sweater to go with black slacks...then when i put them on to go to dinner last night, the shirt doesn't fall flatteringly at ALL over my abdomen. The bottom opens up where it buttons. So that's something that I thought would fit, that doesn't at all. I will be bringing a small container of detergent and sink washing items the next trip when I'm here for 10 days, then hanging and ironing out the wrinkles from drying ... I think I need to accept this now and realize that it won't be this forever. But for now, it is.

Beth - Huge credit on removing 50 pounds! That's got to be a wonderful feeling!

Bill - Red Delicious apples just confound me. DH used to say they were his fave... until I asked him to compare them with my fave Gala. What did he like about "his"? I said yep, they're red, but delicious? No. After a few weeks years ago of him reminding me he liked those others, he capitulated and now prefers these or Fuji. I don't know why I felt I needed to sway him, but I had to.

OneByOne - I love it when you show us your art. I'm always so impressed - your abilities are so varied with many media. I love it! DH and I talk about our later in life care, as well - and he HAD kids. But I know they won't be caregivers in the LEAST. And we don't have a million dollars saved for long term care ... I guess we'll just take it as it comes. I don't want to work for another 15 years to try to save for that. How is your DH's job going - has the pressure settled down a bit?

Joy - I was just reading that salads for breakfast are becoming popular and I felt vindicated because DH used to make fun when I'd do a salad for breakfast - it was a good way other than a smoothie to get in a bunch of greens and adding fruit to it made it breakfast-y. I truly enjoy them, especially with a citrus white balsamic. I add in some raw pumpkin seeds and depending on what plan, some dried cranberries and dice up a dried apricot and a touch of unsweetened coconut. A little bit of this and that allows me to change it up often.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Happy Friday! I slept quite well last night which was a blessing. I have been so tired this week that if I sat down, I would nod off.

I am going to take it easy at work. We will finish the Loud as a Bomb slam poetry documentary and then the students have free time to put finishing touches on their blogs or write their slam poetry.

I have saying a Marian prayer everyday for the girl I have been resenting for her aggression and it seems to be getting better. I know prayer is not for everyone but for me, it sure beats eating at her and gaining three pounds. Whatever works.

I had dinner out with a friend and thought about Beth as she transitions to back to food.I really thought about the size of salad I made at the salad bar and was extremely moderate on toppings. I was rewarded this morning by another .8 drop. NS is not perfect but I have really learned portion control.

Gardenerjoy: Ouch. I use to sleep walk and was always bumping into things.

BBE: Your walnuts are grafted as well. they have the same stalk and then the varieties are grafted.

onebyone: get better soon.

nationalparker: Terrfic for surviving a pizza parlor.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #24  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

I really wanted 'real' food today. I've been on full fast for 16 weeks. And what I wanted was a cheeseburger. My husband and i talked about and whether it was a good idea and if it would help me stay on the full program for another 2 months or would make it harder.

We went to Red Robin. I had a cheeseburger lettuce wrapped with a salad with the dressing on the side. The best part of the meal was actually the mushrooms sauteed in garlic that I stole from my husband's plate. I didn't steal a fry :-)

I also skipped my evening bar--after dinner at 6:30, I just didn't want anything more.

I know it was off plan but I made good choices and I feel it'll be easy to be back on 5 products tomorrow. I have to start eating again sometime--and I made choices that would be the low carb options I'll have to live with when I start eating again.

I'm going to talk to the dietitian next week (she was out today) about whether a weekly meal like this would set me back--I think it would help me stay on plan and slowly get me back to eating before doing it every night.

Night all!

--Beth
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Cinco de Mayo (1862, Puebla de Los Angeles, Mexico)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was an over-the-top banquet. CREDIT moi for some very minor restraints during an evening of too much. The walking appetizers included lamb chops which means that a full meal could be gobbled before sitting down. I felt noble because I ignored the moving platters after a spell. I knew many of the two hundred folks there so was busy chatting away all evening long without ever thinking that I should just go home to stop it all.

Getting about included a trip to the library where I picked up I Am Not Your Negro - based on a collection of notes and letters by James Baldwin with civil rights newsclips. The trailer, itself, is hard to watch; not looking forward to seeing the whole thing. It's hard to watch unvarnished history.

onebyone – Thanks for sharing your Botticelli-inspired wood relief - so full of hope. Kudos for shedding unwarranted criticism; the world if full of folks with opinions about our life choices.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good grief! A combat injury before dawn. Hope it all clears up.

maryann - Yay for sleep. It really does seem to improve the rest of the day. [Yikes, I've never thought about varieties of walnuts - more to learn.]

nationalparker – Sounds like one of your overly-busy work trips. Kudos for striving to find acceptable food under the circumstances. [I haven't enjoyed a Red Delicious apple since I was a kid and thought they were just the best. Yep, Gala and Fuji are high on my list also.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Stepping forward thoughtfully seems smart. Kudos for talking it through.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Week 2 Get Set: Prepare to Diet

Okay, on to Week 2. There's much more that goes into successful dieting than you may have realized. By the end of this week, you're going to know a great deal more. You're going to have more time and energy available for dieting, to be able to motivate yourself to exercise, to understand the importance of setting a short-term weight-loss goal, and to differentiate between and tolerate hunger and cravings. It'll be so wonderful once you find out - once and for all - that you never have to be concerned about feeling hungry or compelled to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 97.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

my hip/leg is killing me again, and really affecting getting things done. I feel like there are 2 things going on with it, and we're treating one but possibly neglecting the other.Sometimes its hard to describe where exactly the pain is. I feel like i'm not walking correctly, i've been compensating for the pain for too long. I have another appt Monday so maybe we'll change direction. Its very discouraging, I am way too young for this.

On the good side, i am doing an informal weight loss support group. We all picked a goal for a week and mine was no eating after dinner. 2 days down!
Onebyone- beautiful carving! I never understand why people say to have kids so they'll take care of you. that is NOT a reason to have kids!!
Nationalparker- salads for breakfast, good for you! I love them for lunch but can't deal with them so early.
Gardenerjoy- yikes, hope your head is feeling better!
Bill- i have fond memories of Mt Auburn cemetary. So many famous people buried there!
wave to Maryann and Beth,my computer keeps freezing up!!

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-05-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #27  
persist

Post goal!

Coaches

I slept in the bed all night. Goal! It makes a difference sleeping in a bed vs. not sleeping in a bed. I got more rest last night than I have all week.

I had to cancel traveling back to the wood fire kiln to open it, inspect the pots, and then clean it out, and then socialize and then come home. All way too much for me. My friend was both mad and disappointed though she said neither. Oh well. I have to look after myself.

We had a weird windstorm yesterday. Really strong winds knocked out our power for about 90 min and trees came down and roads were blocked. The weather is just so odd and so extreme. Last week on Saturday it was at the freezing mark. Two days later we had summer heat. Two days more the superwind. Such is Spring 2018.

Foodwise, more soup. My tastebuds might be returning but not fully. not yet. I am getting better though. Things are loosening up in my chest. Very good.

I bought fresh batteries for the scale and put them in last night. Scale reads 267.7.

My goal for today is to paint and then varnish the carving. I also want to make a small print as it is Print Day in May today. I tried to organize something but it fell through due to space unavailability. It was just as well given how I feel. But I think I can still make something.

Might be back later.

Happy Print Day in May!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Dear Coaches,

Happy Saturday. Yesterday was OP and I plan then same today even though I have two food challenges - a Kentucky Derby Party and a camp out.

The plan is easier for the first. i will eat before i go and then pack a treat in my purse to have with a diet coke. I Never drink them so it will be a rare treat. Camping is more difficult. It is really just camping on our property along the Sacramento river so I will four wheel to the farm office and use the microwave. Cheating but who cares. I am there for the people.

I slept well again which keeps me hoping the med change will work.I am one pound down from ticker but I resisted changing it. I still want to keep it a monthly thing.

Beth: I integrated a little treat yesterday after school. Right back on this morning. I must have a plan that resists shut down for minor divergences. If it doesn't. I'll never keep to it. In my mind it is good to test it a little.

BBE: First lesson in walnuts. Don't grow black walnuts. They are very acidic. Many of China's vast numbers of walnuts are black which is why they continue to buu from California. Yeah!

curleyjax. Sorry about the pain. Keep at PT. It has worked miracles for me.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-05-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

My eye looks worse that it feels. It only hurts when I laugh which crinkles up the muscles in an unfortunate way. So, no comedies today.

I'm skipping my normal Saturday activities partly because I don't want to deal with the sort of questions one gets with a black eye. Partly because the medical reference book recommends monitoring for symptoms of concussion for 72 hours, so it seems a good precautionary measure to not drive myself until Monday.

So, a day for some healing and catch-up and playing with art journal pages. Plus a few supportive emails and, maybe, a phone call or two with the people who are carrying on the work without me today.

I have a food plan for today -- credit! I haven't done that fully in a while.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #30  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I guess Joy's head injuries are contagious ... I slammed the rear hatch to the car after stowing my bag and slammed it onto my forehead/bridge of nose. It knocked me backwards to fall and I uttered a very loud curse and then stressed bc I couldn't see for a few seconds. It's all swollen now but a side "injury" was telling my DH when I got home and he laughed. It sounds very needy and whiny to say that it bothered me. But it did. And so he kept asking why I was cranky. Which led into, "Why do you ALWAYS come home from a trip cranky?" I don't respond to any question about "why do I always" because that is invalid. (unless it's always want pizza. Then=true.) ... The kitchen hadn't been touched since I left. I know he worked late, and then helped his daughter move one night, but just taking care of the pets he says is overwhelming. Which bugs me because every other day I have them 100%. I'm venting and this is petty. THEN, I found out he continued the wrong med for the dog. I'd left explicit instructions - continue the anti-inflammatory, you can cut back the pain meds. He spilled something on the instructions and tossed them but didn't ask me. I think in my mind, "SERIOUSLY?" I did then get cranky and slept on the far edge of the bed; one roll and I'd be on the floor. Thanks for letting me vent in this space to let it go, hopefully. In the grand scheme of things, I KNOW it's nothing. But i was overtired, and just felt like the whole, "If I don't do it, it won't get done" which is also untrue. But we see what we see. Today when I was hauling my suitcase into our bedroom so I could vacuum, I didn't turn it so it could fit - we have strange bedroom door - one half opens and we can lock the other half closed, and rammed it into the door and bounced backwards, but my hand had been jammed on one side between the frame. He started laughing. That sent me over the edge and I asked him again, "why do you laugh when I get hurt? I am concerned when you get hurt." He's like I just laugh to ease the pain, to make you feel better. I said it doesn't work.

We're watching his daughter's cat for several days and cannot let her around one of the cats (the mean one) - but surprisingly we can around the other, but only when we're watching them. This new one is a major cuddler so I'm in heaven with her. DGS is getting dropped off this afternoon for us to watch him overnight. Thought about going to mexican for cinco de mayo. They're usually baby-friendly. We'll see.

Last edited by nationalparker; 05-05-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: not sure
Closed Thread