Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had a fun time eating out with the elders yesterday, thinking- I'm getting paid to do this! (we all pay for our own food of course). I did okay at lunch, but brought home some desserts which I over indulged in after dinner. One of the elders said, "I thought you were watching your weight" !! to which I wanted to reply, mind your own business, but I was at work so I didn't. That's what happens when you share some of your own issues, geez.
Back on track today. Today is running around getting stuff done, with my reward of massage at the end, yay!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #137  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I was too late in the season for peonies -- they all got knocked down in the storms a few days ago. But the irises are going now and I found lots of other things to look at and photograph. If I remember, I'll attach my favorite photo of the day -- pot marigolds bordering a bed of kale and kohlrabi.

Today's challenge is a list that's too long. I know that can lead to frustration, a desire for a break, and overeating. On the other hand, if it's channeled well, it can also lead to following my plan without thinking about it too much and not thinking about food, otherwise, because I'm too busy. I just wrote a plan which is a prerequisite to making the second scenario come true.

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +75, 785/1100 minutes for May
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180522j_mbg_029.jpg (27.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #138  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Try try and try again.

Coaches:

Yesterday was real garbage day and so I told DH it was the day to get rid of the old couch. I worked all day to consolidate my stuff and to clear everything but the furniture from the room. DH came home and try as we might the couch would not fit out the door. We asked the young guy upstairs to help us out and it was still a no go. Can I tell you how mad I was? Mad. I had a meeting to attend so I couldn't rip the thing apart with my bare hands... But I will. I did some research and I need a reciprocating saw. That will saw the arms right off. I just want it gone. I can't move forward with apartment rehab until it is gone.

Foodwise. Terrible. I now hover between 270/274.9

Time to get serious with saying no and with following a plan.

I read that in all reality it takes 254 days to make a habit. I think that is right. This 21 day business may be a good start but it doesn't stick. So 254 days on plan really would become a new normal. That will be my goal once I begin again which is not today. But will be soon.

Ok I'm off. Just wanted to check in with y'all.

Bye!

Last edited by onebyone; 05-23-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #139  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was all products which was way easier than being at a restaurant and having to decide and to restrain myself. I haven't cooked yet--perhaps I'll try that soon. I do have an appointment in 2 weeks with the dietitian to start making plans to switch to one meal a day every day--and when I do that, I'll have to cook! The plan is to stay at one meal a day for at least 2 months.

My exercise today was in the yard--I dug holes and planted my 4 little plants! I got a small drip irrigation system set up. I'm pretty pleased with myself. There were some issues with the faucet that required DH and me to make a trip to the hardware store, but the plants are all in the ground now and hopefully they'll do well.

onebyone: Sometimes when a couch won't go through a door it works to take off the feet.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 05-24-2018, 04:35 AM   #140  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus dies (1543, Frombork, Poland)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the (2.5 yo) DGD day, and what a day it was. We took her on her first ride on a train (the subway) to the Boston Public Garden where she rode in the Swan boats and sat on Mother Mallard of the bronze statues of Make Way for Ducklings. Lots of walking, CREDIT moi, pushing her in the stroller, and, patiently, walking beside while she pushed her stuffed fox in the stroller. She wasn't frightened by the noises of the train or by the train going into its tunnel. She already knew how to step on and off the escalators - there's a furniture store with escalators that amuse her with one parent while the other one shops. The day nearly collapsed before it began when we stepped out our front door and she fell to the ground with the whine, "Where's the train?" Slowly we were able to convince her that we had to walk to the train station where it would be. When we had told her that we were going on the train, we never guessed that she expected front door service.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi - it's easy to avoid snacks when chasing a toddler. Dinner on the patio was delightful enough to sit afterward and let the evening settle in. The peonies are buds; DW says about two weeks until they bloom.

onebyone – That's one serious couch. Kudos for having the room all cleared ready for it to go.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the picture of the pot marigolds. Kudos for knowing that your to-do list for the day is too long.

maryann - Hope that shoulder heals rapidly. Neat that you have your major priorities very clear.

curlyjax - Congrats for minding your tongue even in the face of an inappropriate personal comment. Hope the massage went well.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for finding time to dig holes for your new plants. And a trip to the hardware store - one of life's best free adventures.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?

Corrine has an unspoken rule: I have to be the best mother possible. Therefore, she didn't reduce such nonessential activities as picking up her youngsters at school (when they could have taken the school bus), taking them to every after-school group, or her best friend to work with her on a community project.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 105.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #141  

Quick wave coaches. I overindulged in desserts yesterday and watched my weight go up naturally. tonight i'm going out to eat with some ladies i used to work with which will be very fun, but a challenge - it looks like a great Italian place. i will vow now to bring half of my meal home, so I also won't have to cook tomorrow, 2 wins. We have split dessert before so if there is an outstanding looking tiramisu i may suggest splitting that, otherwise i won't. you can find tiramisu another day, curlyjax!!
Bill- I remember my kids being thrilled with the subway and having a hard time dragging them off it. One time we went into Boston and rode to the end of one of the lines and back. When we went to Disneyland years ago, their favorite "ride" was the monorail around the park.

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-24-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #142  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for not eating while I was out of the house yesterday, even though I really wanted to. I was thinking about what I could eat even before I left the house. That was frustrating, so I made a list of all the things I could eat when I got home. That worked. When I was tempted to get something, I ran through the list in my head again. I want to remember that tactic!

Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +40, 825/1100 minutes for May

BillBlueEyes: your DGD's desire for front-door service by train, reminded me of the viral video that's surfaced about a 5-year-old's expectation to go to the royal wedding. She was stunned and sad to learn on Friday that she wasn't invited.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Woke up doubled over in pain. At urgent care after stopping to make lesson plans, I hate this stuff. Most likely all is a result from meds this school yea can’t stop soon enough.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Making time and energy for dieting - After reading through all your posts I realize although I have created my reasons for wanting to lose weight I have carried them around in my purse each day but it has been a long time since I have taken them out and read them on a consistent basis. I am consistent with calling my diet coach but haven't been honest about my off plan snacking. (My plan is 3 meals a day with NO snacking between meals). My DH & I are going on a 4 day vacation to Las Vegas. I remember Beck's book saying not to make travel an excuse to eat and we aren't going to focus on food. I will be texting my food plan each day to my diet coach. A new honesty and renewed commitment to eating right starts today. I only weigh once a month so don't know how my weight has been affected but want on plan to be my goal. Credit me - walked 16 minutes today at lunch time. I stopped reading the Beck Book on the day it tackled starting an exercise plan. I have physical limitations that make working out difficult. I have done water aerobics class 2 out of 3 Thursdays this month and just ordered a bike peddler to put under my desk to start getting my knees & hips in better shape. Thanks for all your posts - they give me so much encouragement.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #145  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Hot out now.

Coaches

No couch progress to report. It remains intact. I did other chores and the couch will meet its end for the next real garbage day: June 6. This means June 4 and 5 I am dissassembling it.

Meanwhile I have been imagining what I would like to use the dining room space for and I think I need a writing area. A desk nook or something, probably facing the window in there too. I can move my sideboards somewhere else.

In lieu of couch removal I'm going to simply do the next right thing: tackle what's in my face. Boxes bins and bags. Go through them. Toss them. Consolidate them. Donate them. Bit by bit I'll get the job done.

Foodwise improving. 271 today. Bought my community garden plants and some seeds. I hope to be out there around 7am tomorrow to plant. Then I can return home and DH can have the car to go to work. That would be satisfying.

Bethturnaround: there aren't any real feet on this couch just disc-like wood stumps. The actual couch whichever way you turned it was a good 3" wider than the door frames. When it was moved in from upstairs that guy sold furniture. He knew the geometry of this piece. DH is a master of 3d but is off his game. A complete teardown is the best solution. But I'll do it my way in my own time and with great satisfaction. Btw... I thought of you today as I bought a Hardy Chicago Fig plant! If it will thrive in Chicago it should grow well here!

Last edited by onebyone; 05-24-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #146  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

5 products today. It's going to be a lot harder when I have to start planning/preparing meals--and that is going to start soon--certainly no later than July, but I hope to start cooking once or twice a week in June.

No exercise--but I did help my aunt pack for her trip to Israel. She said she learned a lot with me helping her pack--"the chicken teaching the hen".

I found some shorts that fit me in one of my tubs of clothes. I haven't yet found capris. Maybe I don't have any in this size? We're visiting my in-laws this weekend and I intend to escape and go shopping one day.

onebyone: Boxes, bins, and bags. I found that the more I tossed the better I got at tossing--the truth is we don't need half of what we've got!

millie: Have a great time on your trip! Everyone is different but I found that if I ate a light on plan breakfast and a light on plan lunch, that I had to have a planned snack about 3:00. It was less than 200 calories (5 crackers and a cheese stick was probably my most common snack), but I had to have one. Would planning an on plan snack help you control unplanned snacking?

maryann: I've been thinking of you all day--I hope everything is okay.

gardenerjoy: Credit for finding a way to keep yourself focused on what you could eat to prevent unplanned eating.

curlyjax: I hope you enjoyed your dinner out--and that you have half your meal to eat tomorrow!

BillBlueEyes: Your DGD is a delight--I love reading about her.

nationalparker: <wave>
Old 05-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #147  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - The Gateway Arch dedicated in St. Louis (1968)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent the day at a conference - great fun hearing about the cutting edge in digital technology companies. It's not just the ones that are already here like Uber, Facebook, and AirBNB, all companies that stay in business are headed there. Startups are clamoring to replace any company caught dawdling along the way. It's a vicious revolution in business.

The dark side was that at least three meals were served; snacks were so large that it was enough for five meals. I only did OK, perhaps best at lunch when I had seared Tuna over salad and left the new potatoes on the plate. Unfortunately, dessert was served in a tiny mason jar - a gimmick that broke my resistance to dessert for lunch. It wasn't special other than removing the lid of a mason jar to get at it. Apparently, I'm the only person on the planet who didn't know that this was a new trend: examples here. I called DW to cancel dinner at home so I could have Maryland Crab Cakes with my friend at the post-conference reception while we discussed what we'd learned. I'm a nut for good Crab Cakes and these were superb. At one point I stood in the evening sun on a sixth-floor patio watching the small sailboats on the Charles River. As close to heaven as I can imagine.

onebyone – I'm now caught up in the saga of the couch that wouldn't leave, LOL. Smart to divert to another project until the time is right.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat idea to have a list in mind of what to eat when you got home.

maryann - Ouch for enough pain to send you to Urgent Care - I do hope for a fast recovery.

nationalparker – Waving. This should be your last day. Don't forget to come home, LOL.

millie56 - Kudos for "Making time and energy for dieting" - right on topic with today's quote from Dr. Beck. Water aerobics is one of the best inventions ever.

curlyjax - Kudos for having a plan for lunch. [LOL at "their favorite "ride" was the monorail."]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yay for shopping in a bin of clothes - the best bargain that can be.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?

John also has a rule: I have to keep my home in perfect order. Since his wife was busy with other things (and just didn't care as much as he did about how their house looked), most of the household chores fell to him. It wasn't until John relaxed his standards that he finally created enough time and energy to devote to dieting.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 105.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:41 AM   #148  

Really fun dinner out with my older lady friends. I did indeed bring home half the dinner and chose a chicken marsala thing which was great. I indulged in the tiramisu- and it was okay, not fabulous. But I went to bed feeling not feeling stuffed so i count that successful.
I have been sussing out my chances for this new job at my agency. I think there is one other internal candidate. I have an interview set up for later next week so we'll see. It would be a challenge doing fulltime, but I would much rather be busier and focused on new things.
I woke up wayyyyy too early today so am getting online earlier. I hope i make it thru the work day without falling asleep
Today I am seeing a chiropractor for the first time, hoping it will help my hip.

Gardenerjoy- i saw that clip too about the little girl, it was so dear.
Bill- I had not heard of mason jar desserts either. At least they are small portions which is going in the right direction.
Beth-how nice to be called a "chicken" instead of a hen at our middle age!
onebyone- have fun in the garden, nice way to relax.
Maryann- medications to help us shouldn't come with such bad side effects!! I hope you are better.
Nationalparker- also waving! Glad your ordeal is coming to an end!
Silverbirch-waving. hope you are doing some good walking, you have such lovely places to explore over there.
mille56-foot peddler sounds like a great idea! I need to work on my hip ROM too.

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-25-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

4 hours, two xrays and a cat scan show that I MIGHT have colitis or diverticulitis, I have new compassion with those who have IBS or Crones. I felt better with medicine and rest. Anxiety and stress do not help.

Thankfully, I have to work until 1:00 and then I am free until Wednesday morning. I was thinking about Millie 546 and taking time for the program. I have to remember that I can only do a limited amount of things if I am to adjust to the "hypomania" diagnosis AND remain OP. I can't look at my neighbor teacher and say "I should be doing that," just like I can't look at my neighbor and say "She gets to eat that, so do I."

gardenerjoy seems to have such a wonderful way of planning to avoid the pitfalls before they happen. I would like to do that more. And I need to accept my constraints. Until my bosses become unhappy with my work or the students start to suffer, I am going to continue to take most afternoon preps off. The students have a more energetic me and I obviously need the rest. Wednesday, I literally put my coat down on the floor during prep and fell asleep for a half an hour - face down.

School ends on June 8 and my goal is to be the best teacher I can be until then while staying OP.

DH and DS are in New York City with his orchestra. They are going to play in Macy's there and have seen Carnegie Hall. Wish I was there but I am also glad to have alone time.

Wave to all.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #150  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

DONE! Home! With DH and four pets and all is well, except the house needs some major cleaning, marketing done, laundry (mine) and lawn mowing. I got started on the mowing this morning but the cord to pullstart the mower is now stuck and not coming out when pulled. I keep going to try but now hopping in a shower to get out on a few errands - the first might JUST be dropping off a ton of recycling and will take our dog for a ride as a treat. The downside is I need to run errands near there, but it's too hot to leave her in car, so they'll be a separate trip. But I know she wants to be nearby today, so a treat ride will be good for her.

Hopefully decent check-ins here now. The relief is great, but now have found with this next trip a coworker and I will be presenting info to a possibly hostile group and I am of course dreading that. I'm worried. He's not. He never worries. I often do. Mine are typically warranted, because I do not want to be blindsided. I have a new "all clear" date and the end of that trip will be spent with my cousin, so a definite light at the end of that tunnel.

Came back a few pounds up. Life will go on. I endured I caught up with my sister on the phone this morning, a rarity for us.

Maryann - Fingers crossed you find relief from that pain - i've heard it is so intense.

Need to catch up on more posts and get crackin' here in a regular fashion. I've not made any forward progress in too long now.
Closed Thread