Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #151  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Hot. Had to shop. Ouch.

Coaches

The heat spell here forced me to shop for summer pants skirt or shorts or capris. Nothing fit. I did end up with a decent light weight rayon pant but it cost lots cause I am so big summer. Always an issue clothing wise. However it just reminds me why I want to be smaller: so I can buy cheaper saleclothes plus shop in my dresser. Nothing fits right now I am at the top end of my choices. Time to get serious about the food.

The cat woke me up every hour last night for food then would eat only a bite or two. Never enough to be satisfied. Drove me insane and put me off my game for today. I was so tired. I made a to do list and it was way too ambitious. Had I not made the list I would have done less so credit for lists. Market in the morning and the car is packed. I teach a Sunday workshop
For printing on fabric or paper on Sunday. I had hoped to be ready for that today knowing that after the market I will be pooped. I will have to prepare tomorrow. Oh well. Its a paying gig so I am grateful.

I did get my plants in the ground at the community garden. I have quite a lot of space left! I can plant more! Credit for gardening exercise and fresh air today.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-25-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:48 AM   #152  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

We stopped on our drive at a Bob Evans. I had a salad and one bite of lemon bread—then stopped. Salad was a bit high carb but was tasty—and I stopped only one bite past full.

My shakes are in the hotel fridge.

I’ll check in tomorrow,

—Beth
Old 05-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - The last czar of Russia, Nicholas II, crowned (1896, Moscow)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at my local brick-and-mortar library to pick up Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe after a lively debate with DW whether or not we'd actually read it or were just so familiar with it that we thought we'd read it. I quickly read Chapter 1 which seems quite familiar. Maybe I did read it a zillion years ago.

The library was celebrating the retirement of one of the librarians who has been gracious during my many visits. I didn't know that librarians retired - assumed that they "just fade away." The bad news is that I felt obligated to have a piece of the flat cake being served. It was the same flat taste of any Walmart/Costco flat cake. What a waste of calories. There were a zillion grade-school kids there trying to get two pieces of cake plus Oreo cookies. I got to see the stern side of the librarians who usually happily discuss books with me. On the patio during dinner we watched the mother and father Robin feeding worms to the two chicks about 20 feet away. They were noisily unhappy with us sitting so close.

onebyone – Yay for getting your plants into your community garden.

maryann - That's a lot of testing; I do hope you come out OK. Neat that your DS gets a trip to New York City.

nationalparker – Welcome home! Neat that that includes giving your dog a ride to reform the bond. My professional presentations often included some hostile audience members. Best advice I was ever given was to ignore the tone of the question and just answer the factual part as if the question was reasonable.

curlyjax - Yep, going out for dinner and "not feeling stuffed" is an accomplishment; Kudos.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Stopping at a single bite of lemon bread is a big win.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?

If you, too, have set unreasonable rules for yourself, you might find it difficult to make changes. Ask yourself, Do I truly have control over my schedule? Am I over-burdened with responsibilities? Do I feel as if my life if just too complicated? Don't decide that changes are impossible, though, until you've consulted with your diet coach. While your best shot at weight loss is to do the Beck Diet Solution program as suggested, you and your coach might decide that it's better for you to incorporate the steps more gradually.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 105.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I went to the chiropractor yesterday. he was a bit of an odd duck but seemed to know what he was doing. he had me take an x-ray in a rather bizarre looking machine, which should show if I have a bone problem or if its all muscle. ligaments etc. I'm really hoping its the latter because there is no way i am doing a hip replacement at the ripe age of 51! I should know next week. Another reason to lose weight for sure, to decrease stress on the joints.

I'm looking into steel cut oats as a different breakfast. I may try the overnight version. I need a really hearty yet not overly caloric breakfast because i'm definitely a breakfast eater. Anyone have a good recipe they want to share? I don't like mushy porridgy things.
Yay for the long weekend and time for everyone to get projects etc done!
Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Golden Gate Bridge connects San Francisco and Marin County (1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Watched On the Waterfront starring Marlon Brando. If felt so very 1954. Perhaps we accepted simpler plots and simpler characters back then. I'd never seen it. Spoiler Alert: the best looking actor wins; the sleazy looking actors lose; good guys smoke cigarettes; bad guys smoke cigars; many folks die; love conquers cynicism.

A simple day for me, also. Hauled the large vase of five Coleus plants to the front walk - our signature summer enhancement. Makes me feel like summer is real. And hauled a 50 pound of play sand to the back yard. Apparently, the DGD distributes sand far and wide into the gardens.

curlyjax - Interested in your experiment with steel cut oats - I've never gone there despite all the suggested benefits. Hope your chiropractor works out.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?

Here are some other common sabotaging thoughts and helpful responses. If any are similar to your own thoughts, make Response Cards to help you.

Sabotaging Thought: I'm a spontaneous person. I don't like to schedule my time.
Helpful Response: To lose weight, I have to give up some spontaneity. I wish I didn't have to, but that's the way it is - at least for now. Until I've developed a routine, I can't rely on spontaneous shopping and spontaneous food preparation. But that doesn't mean that I can't be spontaneous in other ways.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning,Coaches.
Happy weekend. I lived through the medical tests. There are a few lingering issues but I am doing all I can. Blue today after a plan to meet a friend to hike with this weekend went south. She bailed on me. This is the woman I "broke up" with because she bailed on me constantly. But she wanted to continue the friendship and we had been keeping in touch - mostly me going to HER events. So I guess the friendship works great if it is on her terms.

So whose fault is it? Mine, of course. I should not expect what she cannot give. It is a 37 year relationship so I can love her but let her go. (DH doesn't have these issues. Funny about men. He just says, "Oh Well, That's Tom for you.") Wish I could do that.

In any case, there is nothing to eat over. Food is logged. I didn't weigh because the number would not be representative due to meds. I'll weigh on the 1st and call it official.

nationalparker: Welcome back.
BBE: I "read" Uncle Tom's Cabin during the King and I play.

My wish for continuing motivation for all of us.

Last edited by maryann; 05-27-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #157  

DS and I went on a lovely kayak ride, the first of the season. We are so lucky to live very close to a state park where you can rent kayaks etc. I went ahead and splurged on a family season pass so we can go any time, even just for a half an hour. Its a tiny body of water but peaceful and good for an upper arm work out.
Today hopefully we are putting together the exercise bike I ordered about a month ago
Also doing errands and puttering about, nice thing to do on a cool rainy day.

Bill- The steel oats tasted sort of like crunchy rice. I liked it as I don't like porridge. I soaked them in milk overnight, then put in cinnamon, nuts, frozen blueberries and a litle coconut. I'm not sure its filling enough to last me for a morning- next time i will cook them in water and then eat more, i also don't want to have to use milk all the time.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #158  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

[Wrote this this morning but no internet access until now. It's bedtime.]

Very dark skies outside this morning so I'm planning to work indoors today.

Exercise first, then time in the garden room. I'll saw up three pieces of wood - no more or I'll mess up the SI joint. I've been forgetting this rule recently. Food remains OK but not at weight loss levels. ETA that things are changing so I'm making food and then may go shopping.

One blinding recent insight. If I don't have two cups of coffee in the morning (just ordinary instant coffee) I find I head towards chocolate. So it's clear I need a bit of caffeine to get myself going. I don't need much (as in those very strong, large cups you can buy) because that will aggravate my insides. A very helpful finding.

curlyjax, I tried steel cut oats once or twice (not very common here) and they were good but didn't have enough protein for me. I don't mind mushier things so that's why I have good muesli with enough nuts and seeds, together with yoghourt, wheatgerm, milk and berries.

Bill, let's move on from terrible cakes we've eaten. I have just put a fruit cake (with brandy) in the oven as the DB and friends are going camping soon and the weather is dire.

Beth, thanks for checking in.

onebyone, credit for exercise and fresh air with plants! I am decluttering etc for a friend (paid gig). Because of various disasters in his life he's been stuck for years and now it's all shaking loose. We've only done a day and it's so good to see. Not sure if this is my future ...

nationalparker, luxuriate in being home!

maryann, good to hear from you. I hear that you MIGHT have these issues but I also hear that you might NOT have them. Hope it all gets straightened out soon. And alone time is just lovely.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #159  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I have been reveling in being home. DH invited his folks (but they're sick) and daughters over for a bbq. He kept saying this is great for last-minute plans. I was surprised his younger daughter with a 3-week old came but was glad. We kept the 10-month old all day yesterday and overnight until this afternoon. All went well. There are rarely any issues, I just don't get anything I want to tackle, done. And don't get enough sleep. She brought me a belated Mother's Day gift and handwrote a card that said to the likes of "Thank you for coming into our life, love"...she and her son. that was very nice.

Ate lunch at 1:30 and dinner just a bit ago - just a few leftovers from earlier. I made strawberries to have with vanilla ice cream and I honestly don't need them. But they smell good and I WANT THEM.

Thank you all for the welcome home. I am looking forward to another day off tomorrow. I tentatively took Tuesday off as well as vacation but in light of the issues we have to deal with next week, if a meeting comes up, I'll change plans. I know I set a meeting on Wednesday to discuss some issues with the coworker I'm traveling/presenting with. He thought I was making more of it than concerned him ... until a meeting late last week where things came to a head. So we'll see what gets resolved.

Bill - Thank you for the hostile crowd tip - I tend to hear TONE much more than the words. Always. I will try to keep that reined in.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #160  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Memorial Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, past blooming gardens everywhere. One house that's been undergoing renovation for several years just had its whole yard planted with bushes and with neat grasses to serve as a ground cover. It's fun to remember that some folks consider it gardening when they call a landscape architect to just do it. I passed two micro-libraries without taking any of their offerings.

Eating was OK. Dinner was taken inside since it's not warm and not exactly dry. It's not exactly raining, either. It's just wetish. I made a mad dash to the library to buy tickets for next weekend's garden tour but the volunteers who sell them had left early. Now I'll have to go back today. I do like giving money to the Friends of the Library for their events.

silverbirch – Interesting that your coffee staves off chocolate. Lucky DB to head off to a camping trip with a fresh fruit cake in his pack.

maryann - You are so generous in your assessment of your friend who repeatedly stands you up.

nationalparker – LOL at "I just don't get anything I want to tackle, done." I can imagine that your 10 month old consumes every available second. That's a lovely Mother's Day card.

curlyjax - Love the notion of getting exercise by assembling an exercise bike.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?

Here are some other common sabotaging thoughts and helpful responses. If any are similar to your own thoughts, make Response Cards to help you.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't have the time to do the steps in this program.
Helpful Response: It might be more accurate to say that I'm not willing to make the time. If I had to get a blood transfusion every day to keep myself alive, obviously I'd find the time. While being overweight isn't necessarily life threatening, I still need to make a serious commitment if I want to diet successfully. I need to look at my Advantages Response Card again and judge whether I really want to lose weight.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #161  

another nice day puttering around yesterday. We did indeed put together the exercise bike, and by we I mean DS I knew those lego skills would come in handy some day! I watched and made encouraging noises. I think it will help my hip's range of motion a lot. I purposely bought a bike that was a good size for shorties.
I also went to the mall which was packed, to get something for DD and came across a 40% off sale at land's end. Spent a bit too much but kept the sales slip.
I still have to go thru all my spring/summer clothes and figure out what works etc.
I'm off to meet a fellow widow today for breakfast. We have been good supports to each other thru all this.
NO desserts today curlyjax!! I indulged too much yesterday.

Silverbirch- wish I could hire you to help me declutter! great gig.
Nationalparker- glad the barbecue went well and you received some well deserved thanks.
Bill- garden tour sounds lovely, especially with your DW who can tell you what you're looking at.

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-28-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

I am still in Tahoe and have managed to avoid most of the crowds. A terrific surprise came to me. My good friend from Reno and her daughter came up to hike with me since my other hiking buddy bailed. We had a terrific time on a very challenging hike. At some points it was boulder hopping and pulling myself up to the next level. But it was one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. It followed a raging creek with waterfalls. We did 3.0 miles. My next goal is to make it all the way to the lake which would be 4.0 miles. Credit.

I haven't decided what hike to do today. I am more cautious than I use to be going alone - not because of stranger danger but because one wrong step can be debilitating. I'll probably go on the Rubicon Trail with is long, well traveled, and relatively flat. Its follows Lake Tahoe and is stunning.

I am still living with some med side effects that are annoying. At least I have a doctor's appt. on Tuesday to turn things around hopefully.

BBE: Sorry about the Celtic's loss. I didn't know if you were a basketball fan. I have trouble seeing Jame as anything but an Odysseus.

curleyjax: what a fabulous investment the park pass is. I bought an extra pair of tennis shoes to keep in the car. The easier we make exercise, the more we'll do it.

Silverbirch: You and Beth are amazing with all the work you do around the house.

nationalparker: How far you have come in your relationship with your step daughter! But then babies always help. I wish I had some babies around her. Alas, DS is only 15.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #163  
Green Tomatoes

I've been doing well, just not posting. Posting is important to continuing to do well. CREDIT for continuing to not eat when I'm out and about. That's when I make my worst choices.

Weigh-in: -0.25 kgs, Exercise: +30, 965/1100 minutes for May

maryann: I'm glad that you managed the beautiful hike yesterday -- you overcame a lot of hurdles just to get to the trailhead!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Full Moon - Hillary and Tenzing reach Everest summit (1953)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I did better than expected at an evening event for two hours in front of nuts and snacks, CREDIT moi. I'm pretty flexible: I can eat for joy; I can eat for tension; I can eat for sadness. My ability to have each of these thoughts separately without thinking of their common thread just astounds me. Dinner was grilled chicken and grilled asparagus, a favorite combo around here.

Got out and about despite mediocre weather. DW calls it 'spitting' when it's not dry enough to enjoy being outside but not raining enough to satisfy her plants need for water getting to their roots.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always Kudos for not eating when out and about.

maryann - Congrats for being agile enough for "boulder hopping." [Boston takes losing a championship rather hard. It did help when the opposition fielded an "Odysseus."]

curlyjax - Yay for 40% off at Land's End - a new item of clothing does wonders for the spirits.

Readers -
Quote:
Once I accept the fact that dieting takes
time and energy and I change my schedule
accordingly, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 106.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #165  

ugh. DD begged me to make choc. chip cookies yesterday and I did, then ended up eating way too many of them myself. We had a big fight after dinner and wasted a lot of time, and i did emotionally eat over it.I talked to a colleague about this potential new position and now i feel overwhelmed about it and need to really prepare for interview which is stressing me out.
There is a lot going on here which i won't get into now. DD is having surgery next week and we are doing a few pre-op appts today. I wish wish wish my DH was here to help with all this.
At least the weather is decent today.
Closed Thread