Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #76  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Wow the days go fast! I thought I posted yesterday!

silverbirch - thanks! they are mostly healed but I ended up not being allowed to lift anything over 5 lbs for 6 months so I am starting at ground zero. I didnt lift barbie weights when I was 12 years old, so its a bit frustrating at the moment

bbe thanks! I feel like I have finally shook out the various things I've tried over the years and gotten back to what worked originally. Which means eating MORE

onebyone I dont think I could do life without coffee. Actually I have tried, I was without coffee for several years and my insomnia was never worse.

gardenerjoy thanks! I hope to get better about posting again.

credits - I didn't want to cook dinner last night but I did anyway, chicken stirfry . I had enough budget leftover for a bourbon after dinner so I proposed to dh that we walk to the pub to get it. 6000 extra steps for bourbon. Going out tonight with friends to see a friend who is starring in a play in one of the major theatres here. Saturday is my day to eat extra so it will work out well.

Trying to avoid being guilted into eating breakfast at MIL's tomorrow nothing on plan and I dont like to use extra for breakfast because breakfast foods arent my thing. Very behind on my garden this year. Struggling to really commit to doing one vs. just hitting up the farmers markets.

Last edited by ennay; 05-12-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #77  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Finally to bed close to 2:30 (this despite someone else handling one of my reports this weekend - she was reaching out constantly, which was fine - it must be 100% accurate) and I was working on my own. Hauled out my suitcases to pack and between the work binders and papers/folders that I needed and don't want to ship there, the 10 days of clothes for 90+ degrees and no time to get to a laundry, so there are the sets of clothes with the required color polos. I picked up what I needed this morning at kohls but the image in the fitting room mirror was not forgiving in the least. I don't want to add stress on top of stress, but it was another yikes moment.

Bill - Would love to keep hearing about books from the library that are among your and DGD's faves... I'm not going to be buying a bunch but always good to pick up at the library for the DGS when he visits. I have my own faves for kids, but love new ideas.

Silverbirch - I've never heard that red didn't show through to white ... but I'm going to test it out (not that I have red lingerie for underneath polo shirts, but somehow I'll try it - that's cool.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #78  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Check in

Coaches

Food was off plan. A 75% day. Timing and Cl
earing early went well. I did have one coffee and one diet pop. Pop not good but ok if it's rare.

Weighed in at 269.5 gain.
Ready to diet.

Bye for now.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #79  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Out of laziness tonight (didn't want to walk back to my car to get my shake), I had a salad for dinner when out with my aunt. It was a good choice and quite good--but I'm worried about the slippery slope thing--that makes the second meal this week. I need to figure out if I really want to be starting a daily meal yet--and I don't think I want to slow down my weight trajectory--and I don't know if a single meal a week is giving me too much rope.

On the plus side, Jesus Christ Superstar was amazing.

--Beth
Old 05-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Mother's Day (since 1908, Philadelphia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A day of getting caught up with 'stuff'. Gotta get ready for my last day of classes for spring and do some paperwork for one of my groups. Life just continues with its need that all the dots and tittles get attended. Did watch the DVD of Call Me by Your Name - a 2017 film that accidently was available on my last library visit despite having a 200+ waiting list. I was allowed to jump the queue - legally, despite feeling like I've committed a crime. I'll return it early to assuage guilt. It's joyous, fun, and painful all at once. My problem with coming-of-age flicks is that everyone is doing more, earlier than I ever did as a teen. Someday there'll be a coming-of-age flick for those of us who were late bloomers. That's a bigger issue for me than the obvious that its major theme is his relation with this older guy. He's got other irons in the fire in the background. The cinematography reminds me that Italy is one gorgeous country. Only watch if you're willing to suffer the reality that being a 17 year-old male is an impossible assignment.

By the trivial issue of failing to check how many bananas we already had, I bought a big bunch. We're now long on bananas - a first-world problem I know - that either have to be eaten or fed to the worms in our compost bin. Bananas are just a wad of carbs, but I've convinced myself that I, alone, appreciate that their potassium in essential for the health of my heart. My salvation is that I don't eat over-ripe bananas so I may let nature help me with this one.

onebyone – Some days are just 75% - Kudos for marching on.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Happy Birthday! May you have 39 more and 39 more after that. Yay for strawberries.

silverbirch – Love the image of you finding an ancient pub for lunch.

maryann - Yep, 4am is precious time - no competition.

nationalparker – That's a lot of packing - good luck with that. Congrats for getting to Kohls to make the wardrobe work.

ennay - Terrific idea to walk for your bourbon - Kudos for thinking of that.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Continue to send supportive thoughts for your transition. You got me to YouTube Jesus Christ Superstar as I'm doing 3FC this morning. Not sure I've ever heard the entire 2 hours but am thoroughly enjoying "I Don't Know How to Love Him" right now.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

How did Ben find the time? He did some problem solving. For one thing, he got out of bed a little earlier each weekday. He didn't particularly like doing this at first, but his desire to lose weight trumped his desire for that extra time in bed. Instead of always sitting on the couch watching TV, he watched some programs while he was preparing his meals. He cut down the time he spent on the computer by a few minutes each evening so he could plan meals for the next day and do other program tasks. Since he was particularly rushed on Tuesdays and Thursdays - he played basketball after work - Ben decided to bring his game clothes to work and change there instead of going home. He also decided to bring a substantial snack so he wouldn't be starving when the game was over. Ben quickly got used to his new routine and, before long, didn't have to keep a written schedule. His dieting activities became automatic.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 98.
(since 1908, Philadelphia)

1607 English colonists land near the James River in Virginia.
1940 Winston Churchill told the British House of Commons in his first speech as prime minister, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-13-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #81  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, all! Travels went smoothly for me - up at 2:45 a.m. which of course wakes all the pets up for their morning treat I miss them when I'm gone, though sometimes I get deeper sleep. I am already looking forward to a good night of sleep tonight - will take a benadryl to help ensure that. Heading out soon to get a few snacks for our rooms and dinner, I think. Lunch was oversize, but will be up for a long day, so will enjoy the respite of dinner. Already hearing stories about people expected to be difficult to work with at this event, and I'm working one-on-one with them. That does bring a sense of unease to be told that x is a pain in the --- every time they're here. But I'll start fresh and see how it goes. One day nearly down. The days of prep always go well.

My goal is to restart the pink book in June. I'll be away on another trip the first week, but will have ample time in the evenings after work events to journal and get my mind around what I really want and what I'm willing to commit to include in my days/weeks. Where do I buy the time from? Sleep? I don't like that solution. I don't sit and watch tv in the evenings, it's usually laundry, a bit of cleaning, food prep, etc. then my bath, which is such stress relief. My room here has just a shower (albeit a nice one) but boy do I love a bath. Soothing.

Bill - I did the same with bananas this week - I overbought and DH was asking if I'd be making banana bread so they don't go to waste. I said nope, but I'll leave you the recipe. Oh. Hahah

Happy Mother's Day!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #82  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all,

Don't have much to report today. Stayed on plan with 5 products--even at brunch, skipping out on the lox and bagels and on the homemade from scratch cinnamon rolls. Big credit for that!

My cousin (at whose house we had brunch) gave me two tomato plants that he'd started for me. I've not even tried to have a garden for over 10 years. But this year, I'll have two tomato plans and a zucchini plant. I might even try a pepper plant.

DH turned some of the soil over last weekend, so I just need to get some compost and put together a simple irrigation system (because I can't be trusted to water plants). It's amazing anyone ever trusted me with kids since I've killed every plant that's ever needed care from me.

My mother's day included flowers from my kids (got those on Thursday), two phone calls from my son (who isn't local), a shopping excursion with my daughter, and she gave me a beautiful hand made card. I'm a lucky mom.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 05-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #83  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning, all. I'm looking forward to a new week here. My plan is to focus on each meal and check that it's up to scratch. Also to do more one-legged exercises as my L hip is aching and those exercises really help.

Solid work in the garden is helping to bring it back from the brink. Sweet peas are in, although I've got a few spares. Summer-fruiting rasp canes in - looking forward to fruit next year. Today I must sow some runner beans inside to bring them on before planting in about a fortnight (= two weeks).

Beth, two tomato plants and a zucchini sound wonderful to me! I've given up growing tomatoes (not warm enough outside and take up too much space inside) and have never managed zucchinis (courgettes, I think) because of the slug/snail problem. You are so lucky!

nationalparker, I don't take time from sleep if I can help it. Good luck with your event.

Bill, good to know from you and nationalparker that over-ripe bananas do not need inexorably to banana bread or banana and walnut loaf. Interesting observation that 'the reality [of] being a 17 year-old male is an impossible assignment'. Perhaps things will change here at the end of the week when the DB turns 18. [Ancient pub here.]

onebyone, 'ready to diet' sounds good!

ennay, some nice credits in your list. I must give myself a few credits. Being explicit really helps.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - The Lewis and Clark expedition sets out from St. Louis (1804)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi. Skipped standard social hour in prep for attending a 2pm 'brunch' honoring Mother's Day. Can't think of a more inconvenient time for a meal, but it was superb hosted by our DS and his SO for us and our machatunim (co-in-laws for those of you who don't speak Yiddish). I ate reasonably, CREDIT moi, from an overflowing table of offerings. We ate outside despite the chill; coats were invented for just such. A very pleasant time.

I got to listen to current techie stuff from my DS's BIL who's deep into one of the top internet businesses. He was limited in what he could tell me due to investor rules - he can't even tell other folks in his company what he's doing when it would give insight into the direction the company is taking. Investor lawsuits are a real threat in lives of techi folks these days. My DS casually mentioned that he had passed his Dun & Bradstreet course in the topic. Declared the meal to be lunch and dinner - perhaps balancing the calories. Went to bed a tad hungry, unusual, but not life threatening.

silverbirch – Had to google Summer fruiting raspberry canes - look neat. Would love to drop by your pub.

nationalparker – Good luck working with folks known to be a pain. Good that you have colleagues to talk to about it so you know that you don't have to eat about it.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Skipping lox and bagels is Kudos worthy.

Readers -
Quote:

For Lauri, Friday dinners were usually such a struggle because she was worn out form the work week. Although Lauri would have preferred to cook for her family on Fridays, she reluctantly recognized that it made more sense for her to buy prepared food to serve them. She was then able to reserve her energy for the many activities she had to do on weekends: attend her kids' sporting events, catch up with household tasks, and keep up with her busy social schedule. Lauri also negotiated with her husband to do more child care so she'd have time to properly prepare meals for her family and herself.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today I have planned and logged my food. No easy task in the rather antiquted NS app. But weight loss takes time says Beck.

I have plateaued and am resentful. I slipped up to Tahoe for a couple of hikes, did replace a meal with a frozen yoghurt for Mother's Day. Both those things can stop a scale drop. Still frustrated. Oh Well. I have ordered the next round of food. Like Beth I had to make a decision on how many "flex meals" to eat. Those are homemade meals.

This isa process. I am grateful for being seven pounds down. This morning I am wearing a becoming outfit that fits and I don't have to make any other food decisions today.

All in all a pretty great deal.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #86  

I declare the kitchen closed and the gym is my next stop.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #87  
Enjoying la bella vita

One more day down; all went fine. I'm wrapping it up now - not the long steady day we'll have later this week. Was able to stop and go out to dinner, so that was a welcome break. No snacking, but meals weren't superb. Minor credit of choosing grilled chicken sandwich. Ate half and brought the other half "home" but not sure when/if I'll eat it. Had a reasonable portion of french fries, which was a definite splurge, not an on plan food.

Relief that, while my clothes aren't particularly flattering, they serve the purpose and I can get ready for the day with little stress.
Ten more days until I'm home. The countdown makes me feel good in a way.

Last edited by nationalparker; 05-14-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #88  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all,

My big credit for today is that I'm about to go to bed hungry. For some reason, I've been hungry today (which hasn't been the case) Tomorrow, I will drink more water and see if that helps.

Still no exercise.

I did buy a zucchini plant, a red pepper plant, a small drip irrigation kit, mushroom compost, and some gardening gloves today. I think it's warm enough to plant the new plants and the two tomato plants I was gifted with. If I get fresh zucchini and tomatoes this summer, it will have been worth the effort. (and I won't have to go to the farmer's market every Saturday morning for tomatoes :-)

nationalparker: Credit for grilled chicken--and for not finishing it when it was more than you needed/wanted for the meal.

maryann: Closing the kitchen and heading to the gym is a great way to deal with the evening!

BillBlueEyes: Sounds like a lovely Mother's Day. And calling brunch two meals fits its name!

silverbirch: I'm impressed by the gardening you do. I don't know yet how lucky I'll be with these--it's a new venture for me, in the tiny plot of backyard we have.

Good night, all

--Beth
Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Ramadan begins at sundown

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two outside meals: lunch was pizza after our last morning class where I had two smallish slices despite pressure to have more since they didn't want leftovers; dinner was cold sliced lamb with salad and bread before my evening event. I ate modestly both times, CREDIT moi, despite both times being fully engaged in conversations.

Eating at home gives so much easier control. The folks who organized pizza thought that they'd found just the most perfect item for lunch. Pizza is messy; should only be consumed at home near a wet cloth to get the grease off the hands. I've become particular about pizza; the common delivered cheese pizza is probably good enough for late dorm room eating. There are good thin-crust pies available around here with choices of toppings beyond cheese and pepperoni. Oh Well.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder, "This is a process."

nationalparker – Kudos for the prep that makes you comfortable in your clothes for the next gruelling ten days.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yep, picking tomatoes at home is just the best.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Find More Time
Now, I'd like you to get your calendar, appointment book, or PDA. If you don't have any of these, use My Scheduling Chart (page 101). When you fill it out, it should look like the one on page 100 that was created by Marie, a single mom. Fill in one chart for a typical weekday and another for a typical weekend or nowwork day.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #90  

Another day of up at 2 a.m.m, following the plan and no drop in scale. I have to believe these meds are messing with me. Nonetheless, as I have said before, there is no problem too difficult that and compulsive bite can't make worse.

Sorry to be a downer but on I trudge.
Closed Thread