Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #181  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Shannon (FindingShannonMarie)

Shannon (FindingShannonMarie)

And, in honor of your first post,

Neat that you found our forum by a Google search.

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #182  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - First successful U.S. oil well (1859, Titusville, Pa.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner on the patio had failed to be warm enough so I had been forced to fetch a warm shirt - in mid-August no less. DW laughed at me since she had worn a jacket knowing the temperature. [/pluperfect attempts] It was cold salad and deviled eggs night - a favorite for hot summer evenings. It still worked for a cold summer evening. There was no planned fruit for dessert so I fell into some cookies - Ouch. They weren't necessary.

I puttered the day away trying to get organized for the coming fall. I face stacks of books that have no other place to sit. The possibility of getting rid of some of them is always raised. The thought hurts - as if I'd lose all memory of having read them. Walk, CREDIT moi, included a yard sale where I skipped all the books and bought a few things for the DGD: two windup toys and four small plastic eggs with stones inside that make noise when shaken. DW put the four eggs in an egg carton to wait for the DGD's next visit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I do like the notion of having a limit on Internet sessions. Periodically on my smartphone I get a notice that I'm not receiving any Tweets because I opened an account but haven't followed anyone. It makes me so happy to get reminded that I'm not in that game. I could do with fewer Tweets reminding me that I'm not getting Tweets, LOL.

silverbirch – Yep, Kudos indeed for figuring out a solution to weighing yourself with consistency every morning. I, too, enjoy when I can claim that I have "brain space" to solve a problem. [Thanks for sharing the joy of "Flower power, hippies and the pluperfect in Latin, French and German" - I'll upgrade my value of pluperfect to that of flowers in the hair.]

maryann - Love reading about helping your students who will be the first generation to go to college. Sounds like you've got your pattern for sane eating in place. [Will look for "sugar netting" on my next cantaloupes.]

nationalparker – Kudos for clearing off the clutter. It does make all the rest of life easier - even though it's a skill that eludes me. And Kudos for figuring out what behaviors you can change to get eating back to your plan.

Karen (karenrn) - The Glass Castle looks a bit real - not sure that I'm ready for that. Maybe I can take the book. Kudos for continuing to walk despite the temperature.

curlyjax - It was an odd combination of nutrition, but my take is that Beck discourages banning foods that we like. So Kudos for getting the popcorn and chocolate ice cream needs out of your system. Hope you were able to keep an appropriate straight face at the funeral of your neighbor.

Shannon (FindingShannonMarie) - Super good start, "I realize that I need to change my thinking first" - Kudos for figuring that out. Yep, this group will be glad to play the role of your online Diet Coaches, and ask you to play that role with us, also. It seems to work well for a bunch of us here. Having a spouse for a Diet Coach has the issue that most people don't want to talk about not eating a candy bar as if that were an interesting topic. We do here. Gladly. Over and over again.

Congrats for pulling yourself through a long path to find yourself in a solid place where you can look forward. The Reader's quote below is from the same Beck book that you're reading so we'll all be in sync with you. Glad that you've joined us.

Carol (Wannabehealthy) - Always neat for a lurker to drop by when a neat Beck thought is noticed. Especially a lurker who has been of 3FC for six years, has a zillion posts, and is a 3FC Mod. Beck blew my mind when she listed in her book so many of my feelings were about food - so many of them just absurd. Come by anytime.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 3
You Like the Feeling of Being Full

We light eaters skipped the hors d'oeuvres and several of the side dishes altogether and ate some of the entrιe, vegetables, and rice. The moderate eaters had some hors d'oeuvres and finished most of what was on their plates. The big eaters ate lots of hors d'oeuvres and side dishes and finished just about everything on their plates. They couldn't possibly have still been hungry, yet all of them had seconds. They also ate much larger portions of dessert.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 36.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #183  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I woke up too early today especially since it's the weekend, but oh well. Otis and I rode over to our house with dh who was going there to wash his car. We walked home, which is only about a 35 minute walk, but I decided this is my day off so good enough. I did well on food yesterday and have to make a plan for today. I think I want to be able to enjoy some of the tasty food at our gathering this afternoon, but I think I will focus on very small portions.

The floor repair is done and looks good and there are many boxes of cabinets ready to be installed beginning tomorrow. It looks like we are really going to have a lot of cabinets. I haven't had enough storage in the kitchen in the past, so it will likely be better. I have a large closet in the garage, which is attached to the house, where I have kept seldom used items. I've gotten rid of some and I think some of the other things will be able to actually come in the house.
I am really looking forward to getting back in the house and organized.

Bill Needing to wear a shirt outside in the evening sounds wonderful. I took Otis for a walk last evening after dinner and it was still 106. There was a little breeze and the sun was behind a cloud, but come on cool temps.

Silverbirch I am a proponent of daily weighing, or almost daily. Once in awhile if I know I'm just retaining water from a salty dinner I will pass, but mostly I want to know if it looks like I'm putting on a pound or two before it becomes more.

Nationalparker I'm with you on eliminating visual clutter. I had to put some of the decor away in this condo cause I couldn't stand how much room it took. It was just in the way. I just wish I would have taken photos so I would know where to put it back. I've put lots of stuff in the second bedroom, which we don't use. I just don't like a bunch of stuff setting around.

FindingShannonMarie Welcome and good luck working the Beck Strategies. I think each of us have found they work well with most any food plan. If we work it, it works.

Maryann I think I'm going to strive for more food prep once we get back into our own home. I know I'm going to be busier as soon as the temps cool a bit. I can just feel how grateful your students must be for your help with college planning. Thank God for teachers like you. Even my own college educated parents didn't really make us feel as if college was an expectation. After some detours I did get there, not that it is for everyone.

GardenerJoy I can't tell you how much more time I would have if I stayed off of the computer. Once I have a little more going on, I may actually try to schedule my time better. Right now I fear I would be sitting twiddling my thumbs.

Curlyjax Popcorn and ice cream sounds like a great dinner. We have been eating popcorn many nights lately. I learned that even a small bowl is fine for me. Glad you enjoyed the night to yourself.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #184  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday went according to plan, but, next time, I’ll take home half of the smoked salmon that was on my restaurant salad. There must have been a ton of sodium in it because I felt bloated all night and still today.

FindingShannonMarie: Welcome! Loved learning about you and how you have overcome so many struggles. Such a courageous and inspiring story. You've got a lot of experience to build your Beck journey on. I think you'll find it fits really well with what you're looking for at this stage in life.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches,

I went to my first "house concert" last night. $20.00 suggested donation, bring a chair and a drink to share. There was a stage in the backyard with huge trees protecting us from the 100 plus weather. I have to say, DS and I agree the trio might be the best musicians we have seen live save Billy Joel and Elton John. But that was a stadium of 40,000. This was a backyard of 100. Joe Craven and the Sometimers. I guess he played with Jerry Garcia. Anyway, there was a moment with the music, the breeze, my boys, and a lifelong friend. I felt I could never have dreamed I would have such a wonderful life. Credit for pausing for some gratitude.

Onto this morning. Yesterday I broke some food rules that have been seeing me through. So today it is back to the four horsemen: Track, sit, no wheat and so sweets at school. Very simple. I know I can do this today. I am going to work for two hours and then decide what to do next. Some of yesterday's food shenanigans might be because I was avoiding things I need to get done!!!!

Welcome, Shannon. I have struggled with weight since I was a child and have twice been over 200 pounds. This program and this blog work. BTW Where in Malibu were you engaged? I grew up two miles up from Zuma Beach. I agree, it is beautiful.

Last edited by maryann; 08-27-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #186  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I sit here wishing this had been a three-day weekend. I'm ready for another day to relax, since so far, it's been anything but. Up early and got stuff done around here, then on to the rest of the marketing. I prepped chicken for chicken salad for lunch with dried apricots, cherries, fresh apple and raw pumpkin seeds, and then cooked up the chicken for the pot pie that was tabled until tonight. Also prepped our pasta sauce for tomorrow night and will freeze the portion for next week. I got overeager in opening up some cans of the organic tomato sauce and had one too many, so I cooked up more ground turkey and made chili with the sauce and different types of beans. Actually kept up with the dishes as it was coming together, so there wasn't a mountain of them. Just a plateau. Bought and cut up a cantaloupe, looking for the webbing you described, Maryann. Thank you!

Busy workday tomorrow - got a few hours of work done last night and will do more tonight. I check CNN for the news, then post here and shut down. I don't like losing time to the internet since I already feel short on hours.

Off to do a bit of handwashing. I missed my window to hang it in the bright midday sunshine. Oh well. Better late than never.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:03 AM   #187  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Henry Hudson reaches Delaware Bay (1609, New World)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. I wore a long-sleeved shirt. As if it was winter. Ouch. We won't get warm until Wednesday around here. I spent the day watching news about Texas and Hurricane Harvey. Relatives from down there have sent me pictures and others have forwarded pictures of folks who are stranded on their roof with kids, neither food nor water, and are feeling desperate. It's beyond words.

Food was only OKish. Dinner on the patio happened because we both wore an extra shirt. I was embarrassed to be sitting outside in August wearing a flannel shirt - but DW was wearing a fleece jacket. We need to find some way to average out with Arizona, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's hard to imagine enough smoked salmon on a salad that it can be split - that's a mighty salad. Dr. Cornel West will speak in the area this week. My friends expect the venue to be seriously crowded so that, at best, only standing room will be available. It will be televised; I'm hoping to catch that.

maryann - That "house concert" of Joe Craven and the Sometimers sounds amazing. So I'm listening to their YouTube sampler as I type. Yep, Kudos for gratitude.

nationalparker – LOL at the thought of finding yourself with an extra can of opened tomato sauce so making another dish. Your productivity is amazing.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion of dropping off your car to be washed and, presumably, personally delivered back home. Yep, to the rest of us, a 35 minute walk is good enough.

Readers -
Quote:

characteristic 3

Why did they eat well beyond the point of fullness? Probably because they all had such thoughts as:
  • This tastes so good. I don't want to stop.
  • It's a special occasion, so it's okay to splurge.
  • I want to show my hostess that I appreciate her efforts.
  • I can't resist such wonderful food.
They probably also overate because they wanted to feel overly full at the end of the meal.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #188  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A quick post. Yesterday I spent all day working in the garden so that was good. I slept well last night. Food was OK and I'm still weighing myself every morning. Like karenrn, I am a daily weigher unless something puts me off track. I hope that wearing my nightie helps with this.

No written food plan as yet. That will be my next habit to put in place. (I may not be doing this in the Beck order, but I am doing it in a way that makes sense to me.)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 272/261/140

Height: 5'4

Thank you all for such a great and warm welcome!! I appreciate it!

It was a busy weekend in the ER and I am glad it's the weekend to start getting back into the swing of things before college starts next week.

[CREDIT] I sat eating down, read my advantages cards (many times) and didn't have any sabotaging thoughts over this past weekend!

Today, I started with my advantages cards, got a lot done around the house and will hit the gym later this afternoon.

@BillBlueEyes - It was another google search to stumble upon Beck! I actually purchased all of her books and plan to do each of them at some point in my journey!

@MaryAnn - I was engaged in a little B&B overlooking Zuma actually!!

Have a fabulous day you all!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #190  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just got home from the gym. OMG it was a tough workout but I know I'm getting stronger. For the metabolic conditioning portion we did a series of things which included running 400 meters outdoors three times in 100 degree temps and I DID IT. I wouldn't say it was a fast run, but I am getting better.

I am most proud of how I handled the food at yesterday's get together. I have to say my former co-workers are fabulous cooks and I always know the food will be good. Yesterday was no exception. The one good thing is one of them inspired me to do WW by losing 75 pounds and keeping it off for two years now. She can be counted on to bring something really tasty, but healthy too. So I was very proud of taking lots of salad with no dressing, plenty of shrimp (that I took), and very small portions of eggplant parmesan and homemade cheesecake. I make a darn good cheesecake, but I liked this one even better. Mine has five 8 ounce packages of cream cheese and this one had 4. Even my husband, who is not a big sweet eater, said I should get the recipe.

My very good friend asked if I would go through my photos and send some to her for a collage. So this morning I went through many of the photos on my computer and emailed some to her. I had the best time reliving some of the wonderful adventures I've had in the last 10 or 15 years or so. It was also interesting to see myself and how my weight has fluctuated. Honestly in the past 8 years or so the fluctuations have been much less than earlier in my life.

I think I am also getting to a point of not being so critical of myself. I know there have been a number of times when I didn't want my photo taken, but I am glad to look back and see myself in the photos and remember the fun times. If some of you haven't done this recently, I recommend it.

FindingShannonMarie It sounds as if you're off to a good start. I have not looked at my advantages cards in some time. I do often consider why it is I want to keep my weight off though and it mostly has to do with the ability to stay active.

Silverbirch I don't have a complete food plan for the day, but I do know we are having chicken adobe for dinner. Now I just need to consider what we'll have with it.

Bill Yes, if there were a way to average the temps and the precipitation too it would be good, but who would determine how to spread it out.

Okay, my fellas are home for lunch. More tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #191  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I need to go through my wardrobe and come up with a listing of outfits again as we head into the fall months. Capris still work for a while longer. Having in mind what I'll wear saves time in the morning. And saves me from the same ole, same ole.

Brown rice pasta tonight with turkey italian sausage. Credit for returning to a program that worked for us. I'm hungry now and waiting for DH to hop in the shower after work, so I can start the pasta. It'll be a pot of mush if it cooks too long. Learned that spelt flour/olive oil biscuits are terrible. They were flat brown and blah. Instead of just saying we don't need those, I whipped up a batch of regular biscuits, just 6, and DH raved about those. He took leftovers for lunch today and has dibs on it for tomorrow. Works out fine for me.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:47 AM   #192  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Another quick post. I went off the rails yesterday afternoon but am now starting to understand one reason for why this happens. This is when I exert a great deal of energy in a short space of time and don't realise how much effort it's taken. Yesterday I moved a old tall kitchen cabinet across the garden (complicated journey from wall, up steps and under a tree) and manoeuvred it into position on its back as a container for some of my outdoor timber collection. The DB helped with part of this and I did the rest alone. I'm very good at using balance to move things, and taking up the best position but the bottom line is that it takes a lot of energy. Good finding which I'll ponder.

Have a good and on-plan day, friends.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:14 AM   #193  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Beatles last public concert (1966, Candlestick Park)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included visiting a neighbor to discuss our purchase of a new ladder. This neighbor owns the longest extension ladder in the neighborhood - which I frequently borrow. DW and I had visited Home Depot and drove home with a 16 foot extension ladder in my Nissan LEAF. That's right, INSIDE my Nissan LEAF! For such a small car, it really delivered. DW had to sit in the back seat behind the driver on the ride home, but both of us were pleased that we didn't have to wait for, and pay for, delivery.

My mind continues to be boggled by a sentence from the DGD last week. Someone had asked me, "How old is she?" to which I'd responded, "In a month she'll be two." Later, a different person asked her directly, "How old are you?" to which she immediately responded, "In a month I'll be two." Here's a kid who doesn't know what a month is, what a year is, nor do I expect that you knows what it means to be two, but she can recognize the question, substitute "I'll" for "she'll" and regurgitate back my answer. No wonder kids can absorb language. Dinner on the patio saw both of us wearing warm shirts; a few Fall days this week feel a bit early.

silverbirch – Kudos for "I am doing it in a way that makes sense to me" - the only way to make it work. A full day in the garden should make for a sound sleep. Neat that you've got the skills to maneuver a bulky item across your yard. Maybe you descended from the folks who build Stonehenge.

nationalparker – Making a batch of only six biscuits is superb restraint - Kudos.

Karen (karenrn) - Your careful selection at that buffet is Kudos worthy, indeed. Thanks for the suggestion to go back and relive some of the fun times from our photos.

Shannon (FindingShannonMarie) - Kudos for "started with my advantages cards" - what better way to start the day. ( Zuma looks gorgeous - for those of us out here who have to google it.)

Readers -
Quote:

characteristic 3

The Beck Diet Solution

This program teaches you how to change your mindset so that you actually feel good about feeling reasonably full at the end of meals. It takes practice but you'll get to the point where instead of feeling deprived when you get up from the table, you'll automatically say, I'm so glad I didn't overeat.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #194  
Green Tomatoes

The last couple of days weren't so good, food-wise, mostly because I didn't have the right stuff available at the right time. But, I have that all worked out now and I have a great plan for today. This is going to work! Which is good, because it's kind of scary how quickly it goes bad.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 AM   #195  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley born in London (1797, wrote Frankenstein)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the pharmacy to get my flu shot. This is the earliest I've ever gotten one; they only started pushing them at the first of August.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, even though it included snacks. Nearly two years ago we purchased frozen snickerdoodles from a fund raiser. Last night seemed like a good night to have one. The good news: they were finally gone. It had taken us nearly two years but they were gone. Next fundraiser I think I'll just donate the money and ask them not to send me the food. Dinner was NOT on the patio because we were chilly. The joy just isn't there when bundled up.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This is, indeed, a frightening thought, "it's kind of scary how quickly it goes bad."

Readers -
Quote:

characteristic 4
You Fool Yourself About How Much You Eat

Thin people generally have a pretty good gauge of how much they eat. They don't overeat very often, and when they do, they naturally eat less at their next meal or two to compensate for it.

Closed Thread