Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- earlier post today since i didn’t get to it yesterday. I have twice this week spent a long time waiting on the phone calling Medicaid for a client, to be told “we still don’t have the correct form so we can’t talk to you” (calling on behalf of someone else). I understand the principal of it, but still, this woman is trying to help her disabled family member, not get at someones’ meager pension.
My right leg has mysteriously started hurting with certain movements again which curtails any desire for a walk. Back to lots of stretching I guess!

Karenrn- It would be so fun to meet you in Arizona! at this point its just in the dreaming stage, as it revolves around my brother in law coming to watch the kids, and convincing my DD this is necessary But hopefully it will happen.
Bill- thanks for the book rec, it sounds an interesting concept. I like her cartoons and sense of humor.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #77  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Morning coaches!

Up way too early today.

Credits : food was on point yesterday, exercise was good. Did the next level yoga with ds and discovered more areas of weakness. But it was a good warmup for weights. Still struggling with overall productiveness. Will be chicken/garden sitting for the next few days so I have no excuses not to have fresh veggies! And eggs.

Made last minute plans to go to Seattle this weekend to take ds to a ballgame before fall ball starts.

had a tough day a couple days ago. Still not doing well on the bouts of depression/binge. They hit fast and sudden.

maryann oh hiked Muir Woods just a couple weeks ago, so pretty. Although the road getting there scared me a bit! No sweets at work sounds like a great policy. I think the hardest part about working from home is the availability. Although this week my downfall has been almonds, not sweets. Theoretically better for me, but I can do so much more damage with nuts than with sweets.

karenrn Sounds like a lovely day. Although I am such a heat wimp I think 79 is hot! Which is why I continue to workout indoors. Both dh and I are engineers and we are SO disorganized!

NewLifestyle - nice that you got good tips! Work like that is fun sometimes. Exhausting though. Yeah, we have to buy a TON of supplies here. Usually it takes a few days to cart them all in to school. dd didnt use many of them last year though, so not buying all of them until ahead of time. I'm just grateful that both kids are at the "college rule" requirement so I dont have to buy 2 separate sets of paper and notebooks. They are really picky about what you buy.

nationalparker - mmm that dinner sounds fantastic. My thrown together dinners are rarely that yummy sounding!

BBE DGD chasing sounds like excellent exercise! I'm not sure I could handle that book. With aging parents on both sides figuring out how we can be there for all of them is challenging.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #78  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm still clearly not as on board as I want to be. I have a meeting tomorrow that I'm anxious about -- exactly the sort of thing that I've been eating over. For today, I'm going to challenge myself to eat healthy foods in healthy amounts. That, plus preparation, is going to give me the best chance to feel good as I go into that meeting.

I know that I need to post here every morning because that's how I talk myself into willingness to do the things that work for me.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

First day of school (professional development - no kids) and I still experience the same jitters and overwhelm of my first year. That is good I know because I don't take anything for granted. I'm always trying something new. I do feel a welcome sense of comfort at the high school. Last year's first experience was a nightmare with the strike brewing and adjusting to the older kids. Ennay is right when she says it is easier working outside of the home in terms of food. I was pretty easily able to stick to a reasonable plan and then go walking on the treadmill afterwards. Credit for both choices.

newlifestyle: Your waitressing gig sounds great. I have never been a waitress and have no illusions of the level of difficulty but I always wanted to try it out. Good for you for changing up a few things.

Weight remains three pounds from ticker. Looked back in my food journal. If last year holds true, I will be under 160 by September.

Tomorrow is my anniversary. Married 16 years.Boy do I feel grateful ( most days and minutes) that that man married me.

Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 08-10-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #80  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Boy am I glad we took nice long walks in the cooler temps the past couple of days cause it is 87 degrees again this morning. We got out for half an hour. Just when we sat on the bench so Otis could have his drink of water a garbage truck went through the complex a block or so away. I wish I had a video of him. It is so funny. Of course he really couldn't relax and drink his water then so we toddled on home.

Today's plan is to meet with a trainer who will show me the new machines at the Y and then yoga afterwards. I have pretty much tried them all on my own by now, but I think there is a way to keep track electronically of the amount of weight used , so I don't have to just remember or write it down.

I did see the movie Maudie yesterday. I liked it, but it was a little hard to watch in places. The fellow she was with was so mean. I liked The Big Sick better. I think I might actually get dh out to Dunkirk this weekend, we'll see.

Maryann I would think the start of your year will be much better than last year. Oh I remember that stress and it was awful. Happy Anniversary to you and dh!

GardenerJoy I'm proud of you for all the things you do! I don't know what they all are, but they sound like a lot of work and stress and I know they are good things.

Ennay Do you have all the smoke that Seattle does or has it gotten better? I'm getting beautiful pictures of sunsets from my friends up there, but the air quality sounds terrible. Worse than what I live in. 79 isn't hot here especially when we walk before the sun is really up. It's way different when the sun is beating down.

Curlyjax That darn leg. What do you suppose is the problem? You let me know how the potential plans for Arizona sound as time goes on.

Bill The ribs sound awesome. It has been a long time since I've had ribs, but I think I may see some in my future. You're right, the drawings in the book are difficult to read on the Kindle, not impossible, but difficult. It would be okay if the screen were larger, but it isn't like other books where I could just adjust the print size. There is a copy available at the library which is less than a mile away. I've ordered it and they'll let me know when they put it in the "holds" area.

Ann I have never been a server either, but it sure sounds like fun . . . and a lot of work. Glad the food plan is working.

Nationalparker I'm so glad to hear the baby is out of the hospital. Maybe motherhood will give dh's daughter a different perspective on things. We can always hope.

Have a great day everybody!

Last edited by karenrn; 08-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #81  
Green Tomatoes

So, it's clear that posting in the morning works to talk myself into willingness. But, often, there's not time to do personals at the same time, so I'm going to try doing that at night sometimes.

maryann: Happy anniversary! Glad that the first day back went well.

karenrn: I'm looking forward to hearing how the session with the trainer went.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #82  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

So I went to the library today and smack dab when I walk in is that book I just said I wasnt going to read. I almost got it but I was just there getting books for the kids. I am a bad library person, I dont get around to reading them and forget to take mine back and they just raised the fees. I buy that library 2-3 new books every year.

karenrn It cleared for a couple days but then got worse again, but not as bad as last week. I can't see the coast range again today which is how I can tell if it is smoke or overcast. The sky is just flat grey. The weather is supposed to turn and blow in from the coast starting tomorrow I think, hopefully that will help. Knock the temps back down and bring is some fresh air.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #83  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning, coaches. I'm just going to make my plan for the day.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Voyager 2 discovers two partial rings around Neptune (1989)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two books arrived in the mail. Seems that when DW had asked me to order two used books for her a while back (my specialty in this marriage) it was more economical to order four. Well, the two extra books that I chose arrived. Her two still remain out there in delivery-space. She looked over my shoulder slightly not believing. Microcosmos: Discovering The World Through Microscopic Images was ordered on a whim - who doesn't like gawking at magnified images of the world. It was exactly the type of book that libraries are made for since it's a read once book then find a place to store it. Maybe I can make myself leave it at a micro-library even though I paid money for it.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the leftover grilled salmon consumed on the patio. Watermelon, again, for dessert. Blueberries and peaches, again, for breakfast. The repetition here doesn't bother me at all. The large wad of Baby's Breath I bought DW a week ago still look fresh on the kitchen table. Simple flowers can be so appealing.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hope that your prep eased the concerns about going into that meeting.

silverbirch – Yay for a plan for the day.

maryann - Happy Sixteenth Anniversary! Kudos for staying your plan during first day of school.

Karen (karenrn) - Poor Otis - those garbage trucks just keep coming. Good luck with your session with the trainer.

curlyjax - Congrats for having the patience to work with the bureaucracy. Hope you can strengthen that right leg back to walking.

ennay - Yoga is adept at discovering our body's weakness. Kudos for another day on point. And Kudos for making a rational decision about a book at the library.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

the solution at a glance
  • Eating is not automatic. You can learn how to take control.
  • Many situations trigger thoughts about eating, but there are techniques that you can learn to avoid or minimize these triggers.
  • When you encounter a trigger, your thoughts determine whether you act in a productive way that strengthens your resistance muscle or in an unproductive way that strengthens your giving-in muscle.
  • Responding to your sabotaging thoughts is a skill that you can use for your lifetime to keep off excess weight permanently.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 32.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #85  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Coaches

Yesterday was a good day for eating and exercise. I find it is easier one day at a time. It was a fun day as DGD was over. She plays really hard when she is here. She runs and we chase her and she laughs and laughs. If we don’t chase her she runs back towards us to make sure we noticed she is running away from us. Just after 5 she put her blanket on the floor and tried to go to sleep.
Also our air conditioner stopped working last night. I called the repairman but they are just so busy he will try to fit us in as soon as he can.

Bill- I love baby’s breath. I envision your patio dinners as engaging thought provoking conversations. (if it isn't don't spoil it for me) DGD had watermelon and as she is eating it she makes a mmmmmm sound. Which means she is really enjoying it.

Joy- I hope today is a great day with a plan for you. I sometimes get overwhelmed when I think I won’t have time for personals. Don’t worry about posting personals to me. I just like to see you are here and how you are doing.

Silverbirch – Good luck with making your plan for the day. Enjoy

Maryann- Happy Anniversary. Yay for not taking things for granted, that can be difficult sometimes.

Curlyax- Have you ever tried acupuncture? I went for my ankle and could not believe how well it worked.

Karen- I hope you enjoy Dunkirk. Great movie.

Ennay – That is funny that you end up purchasing 2-3 books a year for the library with your fines. Sorry to hear you get books from the library and then don’t make time to read them.

Good morning everyone else and have a great day.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-11-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
We’ve had a fox marking his territory for a few weeks, which includes our house. It is really foul, like a skunk. I thought at least it would keep mice away and we haven’t had them for quite some time, but yesterday DH caught one in the basement. Nature needs to help out a bit more here if we have to put up with bad smells! The turkeys that wander around supposedly eat ticks anyway.

DD is finally cleaning out her room - will wonders never case!- so we have a lot of trash and recycles to dispose of. We also have to get rid of medical supplies that DH thankfully doesn’t need, from when he was on the feeding tube. It’s such a waste, as there are lots of unopened saline syringes etc but no one takes this stuff back once its in someone’s house.

I’ll try to get to personals later- happy Friday!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #87  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

We had another shorter walk today. I guess it is actually close to 40 minutes. When it is warmer and more humid it seems to be enough for Otis and I am thankful that I'm going to the gym each day, so it's enough for me too. The trainer yesterday is a trainer, but my purpose was just to learn how to use the machines at the Y to supplement my Crossfit exercises for upper body strength. She was very helpful and encouraging. Some of the machines I had figured out, but there were others totally new to me. They have places on the machine where you actually put the weights on instead of just moving a gadget to change the amount of weight. The best news was that she doesn't think I'm crazy to believe I can do a pull up. I actually think this exercise is starting to make a difference and I think I'll have dh pick up the tape measure so I can check my measurements.

It has been really warm at the gym for the past couple of weeks. The last couple of times it was 90 degrees or so. Well it turns out one of the air conditioners had a broken fan which was fixed yesterday. Yahoo! The owner posted the news on the FB page. One of the client's posted that she thought we were doing Bikram Crossfit . . . and that's about how it felt. I'm looking forward to getting there today and seeing how much better it feels.

Curlyjax Wow kind of cool that you have a fox, except for the smell. We have coyotes and javelinas right in town here. It is a shame about the medical supplies. It used to be some missionary groups would take them, but I suppose everyone has tightened things.

Ann One day at a time is always a good thing. I have a general long term plan, but really do take it one day at a time too. We'll see if I can get dh to Dunkirk. He may have a chance to golf and that would always take precedence over a movie.

Bill I picked up the "Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?" book at the library and it is so much easier to read. Holy moly a couple of those photos. It kind of makes me anxious just looking at the mess, like the feeling I get at my cousins house only way worse. Well I skipped ahead in the book to see the photos, now I'll get back to the reading.

[B]Silverbirch[B] Hopefully you have had a good plan for the day.

Ennay Hoping you get winds that move that smoke in the other direction.

GardenerJoy Like Ann said, post whatever is helpful to you to keep you on the right track. My posts are longer because I have lots of time right now. It's always good just to see a post from you.

Okay, time to get moving. Waving to the others and wishing you all a great Friday!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #88  
Green Tomatoes

I have a plan for today -- lots of errands! That's a good use of nervous energy before my 2pm meeting. Meals/snacks are planned and reasonable.

I'm hoping for a particularly result but have no idea if I'm going into a situation where people are willing to be convinced, or completely the opposite. In either case, I want to be gracious and persistent. If we don't get the result today, there will be another opportunity next spring, so I want to be firm in my convictions but without burning bridges.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #89  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Busy week and now another busy evening. DH is dropping off the pooch at his folks and I need to pack and get stuff ready for the petsitter. We don't fly out at the crack of dawn, so can wrap up stuff in the morning as well. I just ran to the market for some jerky for a travel snack. I wrote a post yesterday but never finished it and now can't remember what I'd written.

Promotion came through, surprising me. I have no more details other than I'll be supervising someone else at a higher level, which will be a nice swap.

Off to kitchen clean. Have downloaded a bunch of kindle books and am set to kick back and relax!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #90  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning. Yesterday went very well. I planned three meals (real food, of course). Breakfast - all OK. Lunch - good. I packed sandwiches and an apple to eat on a long outing in the afternoon to buy motorbike clothing. Tea - good as the SO had made it, ready for when I returned. Rather a carb-heavy day but I never felt hungry. Feeling optimistic about this new 'just eat three reasonable meals a day' plan, especially as it takes a lot of the thinking away and I'm always so busy that I don't have much brain space for other things.

I have an outline plan for today. Just three reasonable meals, a little exercise and getting ready for a long train journey tomorrow (4 changes, unfortunately, because I'm avoiding engineering works in London).

I'm sorry, coaches, but there's no time for personals. I'm thinking of you and beaming you positive feedback and support.
Closed Thread