Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #121  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default better late...

Quick post...forgot to check in when on the laptop. OP despite working from home. Amazing that taking something off plan isn't even a consideration or temptation.

Scale at 166.0 still up. Still frustrated but rein that in with the knowledge that all has been so healthy. Onto the protein days....bleh.

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Ahhh...that does sound amazing, nationalparker! What is your diet?

Don't blow up, BBE. I enjoy your posts too much. Credit toi for not choosing the almonds. It was probably low-quality waxy chocolate anyway.

OP here and I was delightfully hungry for dinner. Day 5 is eating mindfully. I sure need to work on this one. Credit: I did go to my TRX class. Tomorrow running. I have an arthritic knee that has flared up but I read somewhere that exercise is still good, so I am experimenting with continuing to exercise despite flare up. Wish me luck.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

On plan Monday until dinner when unanticipated events led to fast food – not too bad – and then to DQ. No excuse for that. Back on schedule this morning and all day with small glitch for protein bar snack before cortisone shot at foot doctor. Painful. Discouraging that three weeks in the dang boot did not fix the problem. He still sent me through the roof with a gentle touch to a specific spot on the bottom of my foot.
Lunch packed, breakfast planned, discussion with self and DH about how I actually need to eat MORE earlier in the day and/or figure out a solid snack right after school…I’m VERY hungry from about 2:00 on every day.
Tired from a day of really good teaching, and more tired from the Dr. appt. and results.
Oh-by the way-down 1.5 pounds Monday am
Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Flu epidemic hits (Philadelphia, 1918)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Again, walked to class, CREDIT moi, despite thinking that the threat of rain justified driving. Later, DW and I walked to a lecture. When walking with a partner, the temperature doesn't matter.

Unexpectedly, the lecture was followed by a spread of cheeses, crackers, and fruits. We talked to the speaker who was open and friendly with all of us. Conversations in such a situation allow many cheese and crackers to go down without thinking. Called it dinner as an attempt to balance. DW complained that that meant dinner had no veggies. I noted that the cheese had blue spots. She haughtily told me that mold was not a vegetable - neither plant nor animal. Oh, Well.

onebyone – Terrific visual thinking of your audience spontaneously applauding. Hope that 'inspection' nuisance is now behind you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for an unpleasant event done.

Nature Girl – "Unanticipated events" do seem to appear so often. Kudos for finding a response.

nationalparker – It's a big deal to stay OP when working within steps to your own kitchen - Kudos.

flnu - Wishing you luck with your exercise classes and that knee. Mindfully is a lifelong struggle.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#2: The Wall-to-wall Treats Trap

"You know," Deanna said, "I think I'd like to make a reminder card, too."
It's worth it not to eat junk food at work. I don't
want to be plagued by cravings and I don't want
to gain weight and I don't want to feel guilty
afterward. If I see treats in the office that I want,
remember: I can have them, just not right now. I'll
enjoy the treat so much more at home when I've
planned to have it because I'll eat it guilt-free.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 156
Old 09-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #125  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, all! Weight stayed the same today, still up at 166.0 ... I wrote 160.0 and then thought, yikes did I write that last time? Yep, so had to edit that. Not close to that yet. Wishing, though. Frustrated at the lack of movement down on the scale this week, I pulled out the tape measure and am down a bit more in my hips and a bit more than an inch in thighs, so maybe it's a restructuring time Gloomy, gray rainy start to the day. The skies are black and moving quickly out my window. Thankful for the break in the rain to do a quick walk with the pooch this morning before leaving the house. When in drizzle, she acts like it's acid rain.

Bill - LOL at DW bemoaning no veggie at dinner and shooting down mold. Ha. My Dad used to tell me to just rip off the mold from the bread - it's what they make penicillin from! Now I know better. Surprised that I didn't get sick more. Depression conservation.

flnu - DH and I are doing the Fast Metabolism Diet - the first non-calorie counting (or point counting) food plan I've done and it was hard to get away from worrying about calories and now it's not even on my mind. The contents of the food is what I think about - healthy fats, veggies, protein sources, what type of grain, etc. The plus is that, while the grocery bill initially hopped up a bit with new foods, we know what's in nearly everything we're eating because it's all starting from scratch - not even a veggie burger. We're on week 7 now and DH is going gang busters! I've lost more than I anticipated, even coming from being "on plan" with calorie counting, not a quick water weight loss to jump start me. We've discussed and feel that we'll maintain this program for life - the author covers how to modify the weight loss phase into the maintenance and it's reasonable. But we'll incorporate a few things we savor - that's part of life, after all! Do you enjoy the trx class? I had to look that up.

NatureGirl - Have you tried changing up the earlier meal options to find things that keep you more satisfied longer into the day? Some days, depending on more protein or more grain, etc., have me fuller or hungrier. Good luck with that foot! And great job with the renewed focus and scale drop!

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-28-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #126  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I took a early morning drive to Costco this morning to have my snow tires put on. A little early but the thought of hauling tires two blocks to a parking place was not Desirable. At this point, we can still load and unload the car in front of our house when construction crews are not working. Next week probably not. When I get home I will just park in the street and unload the other tires and be done for the season. We are headed to Glenwood as soon as I return home and we loaded all our bags early, as well. It will be nice to have a break from the continual construction Noise. Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep......
We did take a spontaneous walk through the entire construction area last evening. We met all kinds of people walking in the middle of the street around heavy equipment, pipes, and big piles of rocks and dirt. The general consensus is that it's A once in 150 year project and we just happen to be in it. Lol

I just saw them pull my car out it looks like I'm ready to roll. Food has been good still counting points Via weight watchers. Scale trickles down and I'm fitting into some new clothes. I'm not feeling too deprived, either. That's always good.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. OP. Woke up with horrible hip ache. Thank goodness I had an appt with pt. Trying to get back to no sweets at work rule. Still weight is just barely above ticker and it has been a heck of two weeks. Oh Well.
Can't believe nationalparker has been at it for seven weeks. Time flies. Great job. Early night and hopefully an uneventful end of the week.

Last edited by maryann; 09-28-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #128  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question Today

Coaches

Had a super early start to unload the kilns at the guild before we took DH to work. Decided to splurge and have big breakfast, planning for little food he rest of the day with big spans of no food. The spans of not eating are really working for me. My appetite is smaller. My desire is lessened. And when I eat it is low carb. But I didn't start that way this.morning. When I returned to the Guild to take down the current art shows and accept new work for the new show for the local studio tour, well on of the outgoing artists is someone who always wants to feed me.
Yes, I have more than one person who is a new wannabe friend who always wants to feed me. Again a cultural thing is in play. My upstairs neighbor is Syrian. And this person is Indian (India) and married an Iranian and wow her cooking is a mix.of both cultures. After she got her artwork she invited me over for.lunch but I had photos to take for.a show submission for me (important) and then I had today to get pots ready for the kiln tomorrow. 27 are waiting for me. I have all.kinds of paperwork to fill out and send back, contracts, dad inheritance stuff needs a notary public, and so she leaves, but returns with a plate of food and.homemade yogurt and homemade Persian pickles and salad and rice and lasagna. Carbs galore!! So. She said let's eat outside it's such a nice day and so I gave in. I ate it all. I spent 1.5 hrs out there. I got my pictures done. I got my best pot this year into the (now firing)glaze kiln, but the 27 others remain.

It all.may drift to.next week now. I need these pots for the weekend of the 15/16th.
Whatever.

Worse though was.the off plan food. Wow. It happena to me a lot this business of people.wanting to feed me. Annoying.

Today my weight was up: 266.3. Yesterday I had little water. The inspection happened BTW. He took pictures. Sigh. But said not to worry. The visit was about refinancing not selling. Still. DH and I visited the townhouse I hoped to totally love cause I love the location so. I hate the back yard which is both backyard and front yard. No fence so everyone's back/front yard stares back at us as we stare at them. I hate that kind of lack of privacy. DH likes to wear *not much* so that means curtains closed most of the time. He's ok.with that. I hate that. Liked many other things though and felt I could work there as my studio.would have to be in house (not the best but would have to be$wise). So after that visit I made food and we ate. Was on plan *credit* but I know I have sabotaged my weight loss today. So very frustrating. I have no answer to people who bring food right to me. My neighbour I can accept, close.tje apartment door, and toss it which I do. This time, no wiggle room without hurt feelings. Sigh. I took the hit. Must remain on plan is the only answer and today was an exception to the rule.

Oh she also said to me "Anytime you are hungry, come by! I will cook for you."

Sorry for the long post.
All is, inspite of this note, well.

Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-28-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Pompey the Great born (106 BC, Picenum, Italy)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked with DW, CREDIT moi, in the evening. I now know more about 𒄑𒂆𒈦(Gilgamesh, for those who don't read Sumerian cuneiform) than I ever expected. I'm so far behind on books written last year and last century that I don't feel that terrible to be a late reader of an epic poem from 2150 BC. Best part is the names: Enkidu and Humbaba are key players in the The Epic of Gilgamesh.

The good part is that I ate modestly from the food spread after the lecture and compensated at dinner. CREDIT moi for trying to eat reasonably when fate keeps putting food in front of me.

onebyone – It's such a challenge to balance human relationships with mindful eating. Kudos for working on the issue even if it meant "Persian pickles and salad and rice and lasagna" all went down. Many years ago, when my body was younger, we lived on the third floor. The third floor neighbors across the way agreed that we'd both just ignore bodies; we both did and lived happily.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for planning so well that you put your snow tires on early rather than carry tires (both ways) for two blocks. And Double Kudos for letting Costco put them on rather than doing it yourself.

maryann - Ouch for a hip ache when you face standing all day to teach. Is that waterfall in your avatar really from Central Valley, California?

nationalparker – LOL at "When in drizzle, she acts like it's acid rain" - a good reminder that I can walk in the rain, also.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

I told Deanna two other reasons I faithfully stick to my no-junk-food-at-the-office rule: "I know that if I did have a treat, I might not be satisfied with just one; I might want to keep on eating. Also, my confidence would go down. Giving in would make it harder in the future, because I might think, 'Well, I gave in yesterday or last week, so maybe I'll give in now, too,' as opposed to knowing I just don't give in. That way, I don't even have to think about it."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 156
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #130  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Default A quick hello from Leon, Spain

This is quite an adventure and one I won't care to do again, although I am glad to be here now. The past 5 or 6 days have been a little more challenging for me because I have had a cold/cough which is passing, a upset GI tract which I will stay on Peoto Bismal for and today I broke out with a rash. I will stop anything new to see if it is an allergic reaction to new lotion, new cold medicine etc.

I would have to say the most fun is meeting new people and then seeing them again. However, it is a tad monotonous to dress and pack up, walk a long time, shower, do laundry and eat and repeat day after day. The pilgrim's meals have gotten very old. They are certainly making some money on those meals. We are glad to be in a city with good food and I hope to find something tasty, but bland enough so my tummy keeps getting better. There is ice cream in a shop downstairs. If all else fails, I'll have that.

I have been reading your posts most days and look forward to later October when I'm back in my home routine. Take care all.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

It looks like I am an every-other-day poster. I read all the posts daily, but usually fall asleep before gathering the energy to lift my fingers to the keyboard.
Wednesday I took an apple (fresh picked by a parent!), ricotta cheese, and a tiny cube of peanut butter and sliced it and dipped it during our meeting. This kept me satisfied and I couldn’t even finish all the ricotta. Dinner was on plan with lots of vegies, as usual. Today so far on plan, except I forgot I had had my “cube” of “healthy fats” (nuts or cheese) for morning snack and had 20 pistachios after school. Recorded it and compensated by skipping a different cube.
My 21st day of the 21 day fix is Sunday, the day before my birthday. If any DDs get to come over on the weekend to celebrate, I may have to cut the plan one day short. I am planning a break for my birthday and then will choose a day shortly after to start again – including the exercise videos, I hope. A couple of interesting obstacles in October will make a clean 21 days really tricky. A 3 ½ day retreat with food provided (and the road trip each way), and a 4 day visit from my parents will each present different challenges. If it were just the first event (the 13th through 16th, I might delay starting over, but the parental visit would lead me to skip most of October…not acceptable. I’ll just have to plan really well, and also be really flexible within boundaries. Oops – thinking this all out while typing and you all have to “listen” – sorry!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #132  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Improving

Coaches

Almost time to call it a day. Endless workday once more. Two new events coming up: mini workshop tomorrow and longer one on Saturday. Sunday, blissfully, nothing. And Tuesday I will get to visit the gallery downtown so I will have my reward.

Today food went back on plan. I was tempted to eat off plan but chose not to. I was tempted cause the scale rose overnight 3.5lbs to under 270 by a hair again. I could zee why but it's not acceptable. Once more I will stay on an and the weight will fall away and I will keep doing this until the job is done. No real offplan temptations coming at me until Thanksgiving in two weeks. I can make good headway between now and then if I stay on plan.

Better go.

Have a good night.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Mozart’s The Magic Flute premieres (Vienna, 1791)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to an errand that involved stopping at a library and an office building to get a photo ID. Sometimes bureaucracy can be so efficient that I can only offer congratulations. I was handed a furniture catalog by a street vendor - easier to take than to refuse. DW kindly slipped it into the recycle bin, "Unless you'd like to remove all our furniture to replace it with Danish modern." I declined.

Eating was OK; dinner was simple omelets eaten inside. I may have the heat turned on. It's a modern system that's so gentle that it takes a while to know.

onebyone – Great to be reminded that we can make headway in the weeks before Thanksgiving - although U.S. Thanksgiving is a handful of weeks later than Canadian, implying that you guys became grateful before we did. Whatever that means. Kudos for avoiding the temptation to get sidetracked by a scale reading.

Nature Girl – A fresh picked apple is just the best. Sending supportive thoughts for you to figure out a path through your October obstacles.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward Leon, Spain - looks like an amazing place. The Pilgrim Meal Diet doesn't sound like much fun, LOL. Hope you get back into your hiking prime.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

Deanna nodded. "I'm going to add those things to my reminder card."

Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #134  
Enjoying la bella vita

In what is apparently food week at work, I have stared down (because I'm nosy and have to look at some point) two dozen donuts today - all varieties, frostings, cinnamon buns, etc., along with mini muffins, mini cupcakes, brownies, cupcakes, harvest desserts of all sorts yesterday. I'm at my breaking point now. Everyone is exclaiming over them - WOW look at all those sprinkles; omg, this crumb topping is delish, and on. The day before it was an apple cinnamon crumb pie/cake combo. I think a baked apple is in the cards for us on the weekend.

Down to 164.2 this morning. Goal was to see 163.x by the weekend. Not sure if I'll make it but at least moving forward. Down 10.6 on this plan so far. But, in a way that's more valid to me than the scale, the 12 capri skimmers that I couldn't even button earlier this summer are fine now, and I'm wearing them at work today. I figure no one else sees my scale but everyone sees my shape. Dh asked my goal to get to before Italy and I'd said 12 more pounds - it's 12 weeks away ... (that was a pound ago, so I'm counting that sucker in there!) seriously, though, it might be attainable for me, but even if not all the way, to stick with it and start increasing our activity now can only help us.

DH has a work social tomorrow evening with a buffet, and a few other things we wanted to tackle on the weekend, which seems to be dragging its feet to get here. Appreciating the Holiday Traps as we seem to be extending our holiday season every year... It seems wearying to be mentally fighting it all the time.

Bill - Determined that I'll put on our flannel sheets this weekend ... I always fight the first turning on of the heat until I'm chilled to the bone, typically when the house reaches 56 or so in the morning, unless DH caves first. But then I'll leave it on longer than need be, heading into spring. Your omelets sound like a good idea for us on the weekend.

Joy - Why do you think the car lures you into eating in its confines? Are you alone in there vs. when with your DH at home? Good luck with your 10 pound goal for the next 10 weeks or so! You're right on target for your September exercise goal - GREAT JOB!

NatureGirl - Enjoy your weekend - you've worked hard for it!

Karen - Have been following your blog - I'm a bit envious ... and have been sharing your recaps and photos with DH. I can imagine you're enjoying it all but understand the anticipation of completing it.

OneByOne - Keep in mind your goals and that your healthy eating is a priority when faced with now not one, but two folks who enjoy sharing their food. It's never rude to give thanks, but add in "not now" or that you must get on with something else. I can tell you hate to let them "down" but don't let yourself down, instead. Has your DH kept up his walking? Does he like company? My DH and I need to get out more now that it's not blazing out.

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-30-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

A couple of days not posting and my eating got worse and worse -- right up to and including eating in the car. Sigh.

Feeling motivated today to try something new -- one snack instead of two -- and declaring that hunger is not an emergency instead of constantly trying to ward it off.

We briefly considered an international trip in December, which would be pretty much on a whim for us. We probably won't do it, but I suddenly wanted to lose 10 pounds and increase my walking. I'm going to see if I can keep that motivation even if we don't plan the trip. If not in December, we'll likely do something in the fall of 2017 -- fewer pounds and more steps will be important no matter when we go.
Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +45, 1069/1100 minutes for September
Food: NA% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: no
Closed Thread