Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #46  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Francis Scott Key writes a song (Maryland, 1814)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Mentally I've not returned from Iceland. At dinner DW and I still review the sights. She was more diligent standing in the cold night for an hour to watch the Norther Lights; I was content to enjoy them for a few minutes. The swirling patterns you see on YouTube are all in fast time. They change slowly in real time.

Iceland Vignette #3 We took an unpaved road up to Snๆfellsj๖kull Glacier in Western Iceland. It's the smallest glacier in Iceland, albeit dramatic and considered mysterious. We were quite surprised that our Subaru Forester SUV four-wheel drive could do the road; a standard car would not have made it. When we reached the glacier, we hiked on the ice along its edge where the chances of falling into a crevasse were low. Glacier walking isn't a local activity in my part of the U.S.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, "effort and mindfulness" seem so elusive at time.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for exercise at work and by hauling compost. I know about those cukes that hide until they're thick as a baseball bat.

Nature Girl – LOL at also a “**********” component - wondering what offended the automatic censor. Kudos for arranging your food containers so that you were "TOO FULL TO FINISH MY DINNER!"

maryann - Congrats for providing information that allows students to think. I wish that wasn't so hard.

nationalparker – Kudos for finding spelt pretzels - that's a new use of spelt for me.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#1: The YOLO (You Only Live Once) Trap

Deanna loved parties, and she especially loved the holidays. Until she was in her late forties, she had been able to indulge during the holidays and gain a few pounds but then lose the extra weight within a couple of months when she resumed more careful eating. In recent years, though, she was finding it harder and harder to bounce back. She would gain a few pounds during the holidays and then not lose it. "Every December, I promise myself I'll keep my eating under control since I obviously can't afford to do what I used to do, but then I don't. It's so much harder than the rest of the year."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 152
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Good morning, everyone!

I've finished my first cup of tea, so I'm posting before my second! I'm pleased with yesterday's 100% of following my plan. Now, I need a plan for today. <pencil on paper sounds> Done!

Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +50, 415/1100 minutes for September
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #48  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Yet another fly-by post but feels like I'm keeping on track by posting here. I am back home and while only away for two nights, seems like it was longer. Missed DH and the pet crew.

Ate breakfast as planned and since the others said they didn't care where we ate lunch on the road, I picked Panera and had their ancient grains salad with chicken on arugula. In retrospect, I wish I'd not gotten as frustrated as I did yesterday with meal after meal not 100% on plan. I did what I could and why did I hike myself up so much? Won't stress at how the scale reads tomorrow and just accept it as data.

Bill - Your trip vignettes are wonderful. Have you ever created a list of where your feet have hiked on this earth? Must be pretty cool!

Maryann - I continue to be impressed. You amaze me.

GardenerJoy - KUDOS for OP day... You've made the U-Turn and are a great example that putting one winning strategy in place and then another, and another, builds success! Great job!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #49  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

I've been borderline binging off and on the last couple of days. I just can't get myself to stop eating or to scale back with it. I get triggered when I think I am going to go on a diet or really stop eating food ____. Often this happens when I decide I am ready to diet, rwady to lose the weight. It's resistance again. I need to listen to my Steven Pressfield War of Art once again to remind myself about resistance.

It's looking good for me to teach this fall and next year as well. More courses than I thought and more varied than I thought. Pay is good. I just really feel depressed when anything takes me away from.my own artwork. Teaching art is miles from making art. I am trying to be grateful, and I do recognize it for the long term benefits it will give me, bit I am sad when I think.abour it. Oh well. I haven't signed any contracts or anything yet.

Got surprising news today. A town gallery pulled my name from a hat and I will.now have a town hall exhibitionnof my artwork in September of next year. They choose randomly from all the submissions and I got picked so yay for me!

Sorry for the typos and extra punctuation. I'm on my phone and signing off. Hope your day was good!

Last edited by onebyone; 09-13-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Another day on plan with too much food to finish. Packed lunch, prepped breakfast, talked to DH about dinner.
DH (Thank you, thank you dear!) took my car into town for gas, and fun sized candy bars I need to bribe some naughty boys in my hallway after school (‘big’ kids – 2-3rd graders). I asked him to buy something I hated—no Snickers, Milky Way, or Reeses to tempt me.
Went to bed last night deciding whether to start weighing every morning and totally forgot about it til I was dressed and had 2 glasses of water…oh well…no time to shed clothes, weigh, put myself together again.
Trying to establish the habit of reading and posting nightly - will work on personals soon. I do read and think good thoughts about all of your adventures, struggles, and triumphs!
Old 09-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Soviet space probe Luna 2 reaches moon (1959)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to my class on Dark Matter and Dark Energy. I'm still trying to comprehend why the stuff that I can see represents only 5 percent of the mass of the universe. It's just all so grand. Dinner was swordfish (labeled sustainable by Whole Foods) on the patio, noting that it was getting dark. It was not yet chilly - we're still in an unusually hot season.

Iceland Vignette #4 Touring Selfoss, Iceland was more of too much to believe. We were surprised to encounter the gravesite and a museum dedicated to Bobby Fischer who we had forgotten about. We visited the second waterfall in Iceland claiming "largest waterfall in Europe" - don't know why both claim the same title.

onebyone – Congrats on "a town hall exhibition of my artwork" even if lady luck played a part in your selection. Love being reminded of Steven Pressfield's War of Art and resistance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 100% is always neat.

Nature Girl – Neat to ask for candy that you don't like to avoid temptation.

nationalparker – Yay for choosing Panera and food that you know are on your plan. [My travel history isn't that grand although much of it has occurred during my time here on 3FC.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

Practicing the foundation strategies, Deanna lost seven pounds during the fall months. In early December, she and I agreed that it would be reasonable for her to try to maintain this weight until the New Year. She wouldn't focus on losing more weight until January.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 152
Old 09-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #52  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Yesterday was a success-tracking, weighing and resisting. I have gifted myself the 10 series of Rolfing. I was very pleased with the results 20 years ago and it's a big step for me to commit to a "me" thing with many $$ attached. I spent 3x the money on DH's roof and it seems a great idea to invest in my physical body. My first appointment was yesterday. I am excited to restart the process.

BBE, nice to hear you still have nice weather for patio dining. Thanks for sharing your Iceland memories with us.

NatureGirl, yay for OP and candy you don't like. It's a strategy I use when I purchase for DH.

Onebyone, sending supportive thoughts for your relocating your resistance. Good plan to relisten to your book. Yay for both the teaching opportunity and for the town hall exhibition!

Nationalparker, glad you are home again-reunited with your family. Cool lesson on not getting so frustrated with yourself.

Gardenerjoy, yay for posting as you had committed!

MaryAnn, glad your teaching went well. Sad about the poor examples of the teachers on the picket line. Kudos for your continued choice to remain professional !
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #53  
Green Tomatoes

I over-snacked and only one of my meal plans really worked. But, I do want to acknowledge that my worst this week is much better than my worst a few weeks ago. The food is nutritious and, while it’s too many calories, it’s not a mega-amount. This is a huge improvement over what I was doing to myself.

Today has multiple challenges. The same thing that wasn't working yesterday won't work today -- I need to make my normal lunch thing but I won't have time today. We're taking carry-outs to the nephew's house for supper. But that's good news because it means I get time with the 11-month-old great-nephew. I've written a doable plan. Too much for salt, for sure, but that's the best I can do for today. A plan means that I won't go overboard. CREDIT for a plan to bring a salad along with the carry-outs tonight. That will make a difference.

Exercise: +35, 450/1100 minutes for September
Food: 60% on-plan

onebyone: the pre-diet splurge is so familiar to me. It's not as bad as it was pre-Beck, but it still happens. I hope you can get yourself back to a healthy place. What would that look like? I wonder if teaching will give your life some structure that will help with both the artwork and the healthy lifestyle work. That sometimes happens for me -- I get busier and find that I'm doing better. It seems counter-intuitive but I've seen it work.

BillBlueEyes: LOL at a chance encounter with Bobby Fischer. I wouldn't have expected that in Iceland either.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #54  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good day - feels "right" to be on plan. Didn't get near the things I wanted to do at home this evening done, but we did take another trail walk - brief but good to get out with the dog. DH bought a weight rack, too, and now he's happy with that. He got in a good workout. I didn't - I did dishes. This has to change. I should have gone in and gotten a workout and left the kitchen and asked for help. I'm weary and the dishes are just drying now. So I won't wake up to a cleaned up kitchen, which annoys me. I hate perceiving myself as lazy but I guess I am if I won't take 10 more minutes to do them.

167.0 this morning. We'll see what tomorrow holds.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:01 AM   #55  
persist

Default checking in

Coaches

Had big plans for today but nothing came to pass. Instead, after an early ultrasound appt (all is well. yay) I came home and went back to bed.I had woken up with a raging headache and very nauseous tummy. Overtired and dehydrated was my diagnosis. I feel better but not right yet. Relieved it's better than this morning.

Foodwise Sunday I got caught by both of my foodpushers and I simply gave in after fighting off the food on the bus trip on Saturday all day long. We went over to MIL to have BBQ and DH was gratuitously mean to his mother at one point. I was shocked that he brought something up from his childhood, just a word, and his mother got all defensive and said she'd never said that and he said yes and then added a bit more and I thought what is the point of that? It was solely to upset her. I almost said mean things to him but observed the interaction instead. It is the single most unattractive quality of my DH and of his siblings that they do this to each other but mostly to their mom. They don't see their mom as a woman, as a person, as an individual. I find this pushes my buttons. So, when MIL offered me a frozen treat, i tossed my no sugar rule out the window *toss* like a flimsy piece of nothing rather than refuse her what she wanted to give me. and when I got home my neighbour, my other active foodpusher, came by with a plate of bbq stuff and I took it and ate it all inspite of being full of bbq stuff from the MIL visit only a few hours before.

Since then I have had a few bags of things not good for me, but not sugar. I did go back to no sugar after the frozen treat. credit. Back to trying to reduce quantity etc. No written plans yet. They must come soon. Skipped the scale today. Will weight tomorrow. Using the inferior scale these days. Will use the wii fit in the morning unless I discover its batteries are dead, in which case that will be on my to do list.

And coaches I am hired to teach three workshops: Paint Your Pet's Portrait, Fabric Collage on Wood, and Silk Screening on Paper. The special two week long art survey class with art lessons in the different art styles for disabled people is up in the air waiting for funding. I'll hear about that when funding comes through. I am also an official supply teacher so who know what I will be teaching. My deep and varied art skill set will be put to use. I hope this works out for me. It certainly has a lot more positives than negatives I think.

Better go. Tired. Didn't want to miss a check in though.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-15-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #56  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Alexander Fleming accidentally discovers Penicillin (Scotland, 1928)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the bookstore where I discovered that the book that I had carefully looked up on their website was available at their warehouse, not in the store. Bummer. I had been willing to pay 20% more to shop local. I took advantage of being there to charge my Nissan LEAF. In fact, I walked home, did some stuff, and came back later so the car would get a full charge. FREE electricity is so appealing, LOL.

Iceland Vignette #5 We arrived in Reykjavik about midnight. I'd carefully emailed back and forth with our AirBnB host about the arrival time to arrange the required host-guest rendezvous. "Not a problem," he said, "I'll leave the door unlocked with the key on the kitchen table." Wow! It was like that throughout Iceland. Another local told us, "How can we have crime in a country of 365,000 people who are mostly related to one another? If you stole a car here, where could you take it?" It was a warm and open group of folks that we met.

onebyone – Two food pushers in one day is a challenge - especially when you're considering their feelings. Congrats for those teaching gigs.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Nothing could be better than "time with the 11-month-old great-nephew." Kudos for planning the meal you take with you to meet your eating goals.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for spending on yourself for Rolfing. Yep, investing in your own body is a good investment.

nationalparker – Yay for a trail walk with DH and the dog to be back home. It's not always "lazy" to do something tomorrow.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

Even with this reasonable goal, Deana told me that parties would be especially challenging. "I find it so hard to really watch what I'm eating when I'm going to all these event," she said. "Being so disciplined just gets tiring and I start to lose motivation. That's when I begine to think things like, "This is too hard. I don't want to think about this anymore. I'll just eat whatever I want for now and then I'll be really careful in January."

Old 09-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's eating went worse than I imagined. The errands kept getting piled on and I did something that was time-efficient but not calorie-efficient. Worse, it wasn't very satisfying.

I had a good time playing with the baby last night and ate exactly what I planned there, so I'll consider myself back on track before the end of the day. That will help me keep things from spiraling out of control. There's no reason that I can't follow my plan today when I did it last night.

Tonight is the annual book selection and potluck of my book club. Eating usually goes well for that following my potluck plan: focus on the veggies and take only tiny servings of anything else that I want. I'm bringing a salad so I know that there will be veggies for me. It also helps that I'm in charge of the book selection logistics. Fortunately, I've done this lots of times now so I'm confident that we'll pare 40+ books down to the 10 that we can read, but it does take a lot of concentration on my part so I don't have time to go eat more.

Exercise: +30, 480/1100 minutes for September
Food: 70% on-plan
Old 09-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #58  
Enjoying la bella vita

A most beautiful weather day here ... hard to be inside in fluorescent lights. Started this new food plan exactly a month ago and am exactly eight pounds down and DH is down 17 pounds, I believe. If I think about it, it's startling, because I thought I was doing as well as I could most days. But having things that didn't add in healthy nutrition on the "no" listing, it's not a daily thought. I've picked back up with the journaling this week and started in a new journal, always a fun start. New pretty pen, as well. They were a gift from MIL with coloring books and I decided to use them for journaling instead. I don't really want these coloring books and she keeps asking me if I've used them. Nope. Disclaimer is that I like kids' coloring books but not these with all the markings on them. Give me Fred Flintstone or Minnie Mouse with dark outlines and I'll be happy. ha. Kids don't even know them now. Well, Minnie maybe...

Came in to a beautiful bouquet of flowers from a few staff members who weren't expecting me back yesterday. What a happy sight. I find my eyes lingering on them throughout the day. I need to bring fresh flowers in for myself now and then. I bring in for others, but not myself.

Have a volunteering shift at the local food bank tomorrow afternoon. That resets my priorities whenever I do that.

Bill - LOVE the reasoning on why cars are safe there. I would love to live with that mental peace. Looking forward to hearing about the food you experienced there, as well! Mostly fish?

Joy - Good luck and good choices at your potluck/book selection. Would love to hear more about what books were on your list last year and what ones you'll cover this year in upcoming posts if you don't mind sharing a few here and there - favorites, etc.

NatureGirl - Hope your week is going well! I'm back to weighing every morning and getting more accepting of the ups because I expect the downs to follow. One scale is reading 165.0 and the other is reading 166.8. Part of me wants to change scales midplan to the other one because that's my folks' scale, which was fairly new as they needed to track my dad's diminishing weight for the visiting nurse. I got down to 159 on that scale two summers ago and haven't seen that number since on either one! ack!~
Old 09-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #59  
persist

Default Red Alert

Coaches

Well I weighed myself with the Wii fit and it said 275.3. yikes. I've gained more than I am comfortable with and I must get on plan. Tomorrow I will write one and follow it. Time to dial this back and begun the journey anew. I'm ready.

Today was another tough day. I managed to get my pendants ready for the aze kiln. It accidentally messed up with my plates. So, I washed the glaze off and will do them tomorrow. It's OK. No big deal just a delay.

Can't believe it's mid September. How did that happen?

I deviated from no sugar tonight but as I sampled the stuff on the table at our Artist Opening. Sigh. Poorly attended I felt. Ad for the artists but they invited people, I did too and sometimes it's just like that. Oh well.

Going now.
Have a good night.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

I swear I posted this but I can't hardly think so maybe not.
Fever & flu bug. Can't even read your posts that talk about food without getting queasy.
No food except oatmeal for breakfast and animal crackers all day.
Just finished sub plans.
Closed Thread