Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #166  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post

Ennay -I hear you on not wanting to get into the "i ate this, i need to exercise for x" i want to be active to be healthy. I want to savor my food and enjoy it and not stress about some social eating. I feel like sometimes I take the enjoyment out of good times with good food by adding guilt. what does that do for me? Does it make me choose better next time? Or just make me feel worse about myself. I want to get home with a different mindset when I get back home late Thursday night.
For me it is more...I was an extremely active athlete. I burned probably an average of 10000 calories a week through exercise. I had a healthy diet, but portions were large. When I was losing weight I was averaging 2200 calories, My maintenance calories were around 2700-3000 calories.

And then I got in my first accident. And I could NOT adjust to what apparently was around 1300 maintenance calories. I was gaining 2+lbs per week.

After my 3rd accident I gave up endurance sports. And part of my feeling this go round is I can't be dependent on exercise because there are injuries that are not going to age well. If I can't maintain my weight when I am unable to exercise, this will not work long term. So I can't over use exercise as part of the loss either because that increases dependence.

But also in the process of trying to recover as an athlete AND lose the weight between accidents I shredded my metabolism. One of the things you do to be a better marathoner is train your body to be very efficient with it's fuel. Efficient isnt great for weight control. There is a point, and it usually is around 90 minutes of fasted exercise where the body has to switch burning modes to conserve sugar for the brain and I think that is a bad place for me to go. I got there fast yesterday probably because the day before had been lower calorie and carb than normal.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #167  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Calories a little over yesterday, only had a 90 minute walk on pretty flat walkways. Just got back from my 7 1/2 mile hill walk today. It's 1500 feet elevation gain which gets my heart pumping, credit. For me, I love the exercise and hope to do it for as many years as possible. I like the fact that I can eat more and feel better with exercise. I do agree it will be rough if I have to stop, but hoping that won't happen anytime soon. I had too many sedentary years already, as in most of them.

The movie, "Dark Horse", was a really heart warming story of a group of working class people in Wales who put their money in together to breed and train a race horse. We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's time to get some housework done, bathrooms, floors and dusting and cleaning the outdoor tables. Our niece and her husband arrive tomorrow morning for five days.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone checkin. Long days. Finally had enough of same and joined WW. Former lifetime member. I need to lose 8 pound not have to pay anymore . Good goal . Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-25-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #169  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn Did you join WW group or on line?

Debbie Time with your sister sound so good, I sure miss mine. Agree, gambling capitol is not my choice of place to go.

We did go to our daughter's Art Exhibit where her amazing oil painting of group of horses running beside a moving river is really capturing attention on the front wall of the Exhibit. She is so polished and I'm so glad I have some of her larger pieces, one in our bedroom and 2 in living room, and a few smaller pieces else where. We brought back a friend of our two artist daughters and had to really laugh at those 3 women describing the Exhibit and their reaction to different pieces. Glad I was driving and listening and that traffic wasn't bad so I could enjoy listening.

CurlyJax Prayers continue for you and your husband. May he receive the best treatment and full recovery.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:50 AM   #170  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

DONE. I am DONE. In review, it went well. In the moment, it was a stressful, lie-awake at night worrying because of outside noise and brain noise. Equally annoying. Better check in tomorrow. Relief is immeasurable. This is not my forte, but have been bolstered by many hugs, praise and thanks from those I assisted. Now spending much of the night prepping for the next run for a coworker who handles the next week's event.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #171  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Czar Nicholas II crowned (Russia, 1896)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including a pot luck dinner with our reading group. Fortunately, no one brought desserts so I didn't face the uber chocolate brownies that one of our members makes.

Not much exercise. I continue to spend time looking at cars on-line trying to focus my attention on one model before I head off to start test driving them. I found an older car for $1544 that caught my attention. It took me a bit of time to recognize that a car at that price was for an active car repair guy - not someone who wanted a dependable ride.

onebyone – Yay for sufficient Vitamin D, a clean bill of health for a year, and nothing that is irreversible. That sounds like a relief. Kudos for surviving an all-day ordeal.

maryann - Yay for lifetime membership in WW.

nationalparker – Yay for DONE, DONE, DONE. You've earned a rest with your DH and furry friends.

Karen (karenrn) - Will put "Dark Horse" on my list. Whenever we invite guests to our patio, the local pigeons christen the chairs with white splashes, LOL.

Sandy (love2garden) - Love reading about your DD's art work.

ennay - Interesting journey to have to come down from extremely athletic to just active. I can't help but observe how many professional athletes look chunky when interviewed just several years after retirement. Seems like a serious challenge.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#3: The Can't Deprive the Family Trap

We talked about the fact that this wasn't an all-or-nothing situation: it wasn't as if there had to be a big bag of potato chips in the house or none at all. But Maxine didn't think buying packs of single-serve bags of potato chips would work; she might be tempted to eat several bags at a time. We came up with a new idea. The kids could buy chips for lunch at school or just one single-serve bag at the convenience store to eat as a snack that day. When Maxine thought about it, she realized that they would probably even prefer to buy the kind of chips they wanted.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 114
Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- thanks so much for your support!! It really means a lot!!
Chemo finally starts TODAY, they were still analyzing stuff, and apparently one doctor wasn’t returning the oncologists call, which really makes me mad. Anyhow, he is getting it in the hospital and i’ve decided to spend the day there learning about treatments etc rather than hearing second hand from my husband. I have sick days and by golly i am going to use one today!
he’s already had trouble with being hydrated and eating so i’m a little freaked out about keeping that going, but the team is great and will definitely be helpful.

I look forward to the time when i can really get back into beck and support all of you too, but right now i am not focused on my own food etc. Although that’s no excuse to eat so much ice cream it is time to rein it in!

hugs to all and keep on trucking!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #173  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

morning coaches

Been a rough couple days but I stayed on plan and the bloat is finally receding. Credits: weighed and logged, ate on plan. Took a rest day. 30 days in a row of logging every bite, even the binge-grabs.

curlyjax hugs and you take care of yourself too.

ooops dd is kicking me off the computer for homework
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #174  
Green Tomatoes

Often when I'm not posting, I'm not eating well. Not the case this time! But it's not sustainable by myself, so I'm back to keep the support going that I'll need to keep the healthy eating going.

Two things helped.

The first is that I'm experiencing knee and hip pain, after spending much of the early spring dealing with back pain. When I weighed 240, I had pain nearly every day. I didn't dare hope that losing weight would help, but it did. At 170, I had pain nearly never. I don't think I have to be quite that low to get the benefit, but clearly I need to be at a lower weight than I am now. I'm keeping this Advantage front and center:

Quote:
I want to minimize pain in my knees, feet, ankles, hips, and back.
The second thing that helped was an awareness that the first thing I feel when I want to eat something that's not on my plan is sadness. Naturally, I don't like feeling sad, so I move on to something else -- like resentment. The thing is, sadness doesn't make me want to eat but resentment does. So, if I can get myself to hold on to the sadness, I'm much more likely to strengthen my resistance muscle. It turns out that sadness isn't all that unpleasant (bittersweet, tender, bemused) and disappears in a few minutes in favor of something more interesting, like the next thing that I want to get done with my day.

curlyjax: good luck with the chemo for DH. When I was going through it, I drank lots of gatorade (so much that I associate it with that time and refuse to touch the stuff, now). I also ate high fat, high sugar foods -- things that I wish I could still eat now! Highly-flavored foods were helpful because the chemo caused a tinny flavor in my mouth and, otherwise, effected my ability to taste.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #175  

Height: 5' 2"

Didn't realize that Chemo would destroy tasting food.

CurlyJax Thanks for keeping us informed. May it all go smoothly and may you get some good information.

Bill A dependable car is a must. Even tho my dad taught auto mechanics, he still made sure he had a reliable car. Except right before World War II, he sold his new Ford and bought an old Plymouth. He kept it running during the war but he had to manufacture the parts at the Vocational School. Amazing what he could do. Best of luck finding a car to suit both your needs and your budget.

I've really cut my calories, recording it all on line, still doing weeding and gardening, and refusing to eat after supper till tomorrow morning. Will weigh first of week then daily after that.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #176  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

credits: weighed and logged. First time since January 2015 that I have been below 215. Calories on plan, did a small walk. Got a bunch of cleaning done. Grocery shopping done. I've been in the house alone all day with ice cream and dont really feel an urge.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #177  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Home sweet home!

Full day of travel and Pacific to Eastern time zone change and I'm home at midnight. Sweet relief.

Curlyjax ... i experimented with so much with my dad and taste following his chemo. One huge tip that I wish I'd known was that some chemo treatments cause painful open mouth wounds that are searing pain.be on the lookout and get a good dentist involved if the case. The speed that they came on was shocking. Milkshakes...homemade were a way to get him to get nourishment with the Carnation breakfast packet. He too drank orange Gatorade...that one didn't taste metallic.also used high quality plastic silverware bc the stainless or silverplate affected his taste. So many hugs your way.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #178  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Cough cough

Coaches

Caught some kind of bug that's making me cough and have a sore throat. I felt ok then awful then ok-ish then
Back to awful. Caesar the cat just woke me for food and I started coughing and now I am posting. The relief I felt at the Dr visit this week translated into slacking off on my foodplan. That she told me to do it slowly does not mean be lackadaisical. Indeed, I cannot ever be casual about weghtloss as it never "just happens" without consist effort behind it. But now I'm sick so it's soup and liquids for me. I cancelled the market for the weekend. It will be super hot and not being up to that right now is just the truth.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #179  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Golden Gate Bridge opens (San Francisco, 1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included dinner of cold grilled salmon on the patio. Yay for a warm evening. The birds were active. I sat after we were done eating and watched evening arrive - the good life.

Exercise was making it to a Subaru dealer to look at cars. I found the most interesting salesman. He suggested that, for the small number of miles I intended to put on our second car, fixing the 19 year old Toyota Camry might be the best financial path. I was stunned. Never has a car salesman suggested not buying a car. I did, however, make progress by sitting in, touching, and imagining myself in several models.

onebyone – Interesting that the good feeling from your doctor's visit has to be carefully accepted without falling into "lackadaisical."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for the body pains - tough for an active gardener. One consideration when choosing my replacement car is that DW would like me to have a small station wagon that she could use for occasional trips for small trees and bushes. The trunk of our newish Toyota Hybrid is smaller than the trunk of our older Camry due to the battery.

nationalparker – Welcome home. Mission accomplished and good work recognized.

curlyjax - Congrats for starting the chemotherapy. You're moving forward. Kudos for actively learning about chemotherapy to support your DH.

Sandy (love2garden) - Refusing to eat after supper plugs a big-time opening for unneeded calories.

ennay - Kudos for "30 days in a row of logging every bite." And Kudos for leaning that ice cream untouched.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#3: The Can't Deprive the Family Trap

The more we talked, the more Maxine recognized that of course her kids wouldn't suffer if she stopped buying large bags of chips. She also wasn't depriving them of healthy food (quite the contrary, in fact). Maxine composed a reminder card so she wouldn't falter when broaching the change with her kids:
I need to tell the family that we won't be having
big bags of potato chips in the house, at least for
a while. The kis can buy chips themselves, and
they'd probably prefer that anyway. They won't
suffer. Not having a big bag of chips won't deprive
them of any important nutrients.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 114
Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Going so long without a full post makes me realize I have become too busy. In this case, I have not just been "appointment" busy but have been enduring an emotion buzz that makes me want to watch the Hunger Game Triology over and over again on t.v. In other words, it makes me want to check out. I got home at 3:30 yesterday but spent until 7:30 on the couch. The good news is during commercials I roasted some super delicious brussel sprouts and asparagus for a Weight Watcher's approved dinner , and also I was with DS for part of the time hanging out watching a cooking show. Still, this symptom of disconnect is something of which to be careful. Finally at 7:30, I got up and took a nice walk.

So in answer to love2garden's question, I walked into the WW meeting. I actually didn't even pay up to the internet privileges.If I meet my goal of "within lifetime range" in a month, all of that will come free. My lifetime goal is 160 +/- 2 pounds. My actual goal is below 154. So far, the food plan has filled me up. I have added the MIA fruits and veggies back into my diet. These are all good things. Weight is down two pounds from when I started on Tuesday.

Found out yesterday I might be teaching AP English next year instead of Frosh and Soph. This is nice. My final goal is teaching community college and AP classes means I am just about there. I will really have a steep learning curve now that my students will all be smarter than me. (I didn't qualify for AP when I was in high school.) The challenge is a good thing.

gardenerjoy: I am sorry about the chronic pain. It can be so draining. I continue to go to two PTs . It instills instant compassion for those with far greater issues.

ennay: I am fascinated with your history of endurance sports. What a journey you have been on! I was super overweight most of my life - over 200 pounds in college. I didn't realize until I lost a bunch in my mid thirties that there was an inner athlete in me. I have done a sprint marathon but nowadays, I hope to keep in shape for the kind of hiking KarenRN does.

BBE: Why do I think you just bought a car - a hybrid - two or three years ago?

Last edited by maryann; 05-27-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Closed Thread