Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #76  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in this morning. Food was a little over plan yesterday, but not bad. I just got back from my Bell Pass hike which is 2 1/2 hours, credit. I need to get cleaned up, Costco run, shuttle a friend and then lunch with my old co-workers at the hospital. Camping things are all cleaned and a little more putting away to do this afternoon. Life is good.

Karen
Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #77  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome back, Bill! Glad it wasn't your flight with an in-air issue - and that it wasn't Karen's flight back from Peru!

Super brief checkin today - OP for the most part. I'm counting two bites of a cupcake as still OP because lunch was just oatmeal. Just stopped work for the night and am already tired of smart-aleck emails from people I'll be working with on this upcoming event. It's like i have nothing better to do than sit at home and ask for things they don't think we need. I hold my tongue but get so, so irritated inside. And in a way, dread having to deal with the snarky attitude on site. Weight is a pound up from ticker. No forward progress being made.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #78  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Today was a pretty good day. Almost the opposite of yesterday. No explanation for any of it. We had nice weather here, warm, but not hot. I ended up walking errands today which was nice. I work at a little community theatre and I had to go down there to pick up mail and the weekend box and process it so I walked there, and then over to the bank to deposit,then over to the accountants to give him the weekend paperwork and back home. All in all about 3 miles. Days like this I remember why I like a small town.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:06 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Constantinople, previously Byzantium, founded (Turkey, 330 AD)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to class and back, grateful for the warm weather even though it wasn't Florida t-shirt weather. The second walk included the drug store and the library. To my dismay, the library was closed. My head was wonked; I know the library is closed on Tuesday, but this was my first day of the week so I just assumed it was Monday. Note to self: always end vacations on Sunday so my mental calendar is in sync.

Vacation Vignette #2: Walking along in Miami, happily observing the tropical atmosphere, we heard a loud Whoosh as we saw a Palm frond fall right in front of us. It was heavy. We had noticed these laying about wondering why they hadn't been picked up. Suddenly we became aware that they were being picked up daily. They were also falling daily. Paradise can be dangerous.

onebyone – I do like being reminded, "NOT EATING OVER IT."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to think of focusing on acquired techniques rather than distance to goal.

maryann - I might have to adopt your not eating between meals to solve my snack problem.

nationalparker – There's really no excuse for a "snarky attitude" other than the bullying notion of being able to get away with it. Kudos for remaining professional.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats on the success of your four day hike rim-to-rim in the Grand Canyon. (Newspapers just reported that the Park Service is closing one trail with no water because folks are getting stranded in the heat.)

ennay - LOL at "frrrrrreeeeeezzzzzing in the house today" - it is a challenge to move when Spring is in hiding.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Criticizer Trap

The criticizer can vary from well meaning but misguided to downright cruel, with many shades in between. Start with these suggestions. Whether or not you can stop offensive comments, you can certainly change your reaction to them.
  • Directly ask your family members not to make comments. For example, if they're skeptical about whether you'll succeed this time, you could say, "Time will tell, but in the meantime, please don't make any more comments about this.

• Create a visual image so you can "put on your raincoat" or "turn on the windshield wipers" and have critical comments harmlessly slide away.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 108
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #80  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry messed up at the 11th hour last night

Coaches:

Had a very on plan day, was feeling hungry at night during my art business class and then we went to the movies, to the 9:45 show. I had decided I would eat something at the movies (we were in the VIP theatre so there is full waitress/menu service at your seats). I knew the food choices were all bad. From bad to worse really. So I ordered deep fried dills and the smallest popcorn no butter. I am 1lb up today. I knew when I ordered it I would feel bad today and I did it anyway. I knew if I didn't order my weight would drop a bit but I ordered anyway. I was starving and had stayed away from all the snacks at my art business class *credit* but in my head I was planning what I could *maybe* have.

This month has turned out to be very difficult for me. I just go offplan. Why so onplan and then so off plan? Why can't I "persist in victory" and maintain my losses? Why do I want to give them back, to put the weight back on? That's what it feels like. Do I just want to fight with this? Isn't it enough of a fight to try to lose the weight? I just don't understand myself. Beck would say "Oh well" and move on. Plan and focus on what you want. Just find a strategy, write a response card, practice moving forward, keep trying.

I can say that at 9:45pm, when DH and his friends are all eating a meal in the movie seats beside me (yes they were) my fried dills and popcorn seemed *modest*. Meanwhile on the other side of me, the strangers weren't eating anything. They were sipping a pop. I saw the contrast of my tribe vs. their tribe.

At 9:45 after a long day and then a very challenging art business class (we are now focusing on business financials and setting up books and I brought up the subject of TAXES with DH in the car in an oblique way and his mouth got all tight and I had been talking to my sister during the day who brought up settling my deceased father's estate=perhaps a big hit to our taxes, the ones DH refuses to acknowledge or agree to file) after all that I found myself, in a theatre seat, with my tribe eating, and me just wanting to fit in and smooth things over and escape into a film world. That's a lot of emotional energy to keep in line.

I also realize I am fighting the acceptance of having to be on a foodplan and having to plan my food once again. I am wanting to "forget" about weightloss again. Forgetting about weightLOSS equals weightGAIN for me. It just is that way.

So, nothing to do but be On Plan today and STAY on plan. Persist in victory. Don't eff it up.

Just keep going and keep re-focusing until I am back "into it" again. And I will be.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #81  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

onebyone " I knew when I ordered it I would feel bad today and I did it anyway. I knew if I didn't order my weight would drop a bit but I ordered anyway." This is so completely my experience. I dont justify it and then feel bad later. I do it knowing full well that I will not like myself for doing it. And I am not really sure why. I often say I "punish" myself with food (rather than rewarding with food), but that only really works if I knew what I was punishing myself for

I think the only thing that helps ME is to take scenarios and come up with a next time game plan. Coming up with a plan for how to deal with situations. That helps me a lot with forgiveness, because it is a learning opportunity. And I know how to attack THAT specific situation again. Eventually I have to run out of situations, right?

Because I would NEVER be able to be sitting there starving at 10 at night while other people eat. And this is a scenario that is quite common for me as I work in theatre. I dont eat much before shows and I have to get to the theatre early. So if I eat a light dinner at 5 pm and then we go out after the show at 11 pm what is my strategy going to be other than eating the cajun tots with ranch (only one restaurant in town open late, and a very limited menu). I've got a few months now to attack that one. Do I pack a small meal to eat in the car in the parking lot and just have a small drink at the restaurant? Do I plan out my calories so I have eough to handle some of the other more substantial but healthier choices?

But I have to review my Wednesday plan today because my normal meal times won't work and I will be hungry at 9 pm. What am I saving for 9 pm. My normal meal times are 11, 3 and 6:30 and I have class from 2-4 and then leave for baseball at 5 and get home at 9
Old 05-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #82  

Good morning coaches,

Food was within calories yesterday, but I ate just about all my exercise calories, credit anyway. I decided to take the day off of exercise today. I have things to do around the house and just didn't feel like being in a rush. I'm soon to get the ironing caught up. I've done some work in the office and a bit more sorting of camping first aid, pills, etc that I take on every trip.

Tonight I have a meeting with my hiking group that I have belonged to for years, but only do things with occasionally. The topic of the meeting is hiking the Grand Canyon, with a focus on the less populated trails. Sounds very interesting and I'm anxious to hear from others who have done those trails.

Onebyone There is nothing easy about weight loss. Yesterday I had dh take the left over peanut M & M's to work. They weren't calling my name yet, but I knew at any moment they could. Glad to have that temptation out of the house. I have a couple of rules that serve me well. I don't eat at the movies or in the car. I think the movie thing works so well because I am frugal and I don't want to pay their prices. That makes movies a safe thing for me to do. On the other hand I don't go there hungry.

Bill Glad you had a nice trip to Florida. We have palm trees in our yard and occasionally a branch comes down. Mostly we have to pay once a year to get them trimmed. I wonder what trail was closed. South Kaibab never has water, but everyone knows it.

Ennay Yahoo for an easy day. I'm so glad when I have those "not hungry" days. It always seems like a miracle to me.

Nationalparker Oh I hate that feeling of being so irritated but not being able to say anything about it. Yes, good for you for being so professional but I will be irritated at them for you.

Waving to GardenerJoy, Maryann, Sandy, and Curlyjax oh and Lexxis and whomever else hasn't posted in a day or two that I've missed.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #83  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

nationalparker what do you do? There are a lot of times where I want to strangle people in general.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #84  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I'm having a little PTSD right now. 2 1/2 years ago the kids of a friend of mine were killed by a hit and run driver. Today my son walked in the door to say that the daughter of another friend was hit on her way home from school today at our street corner. She is fine - totally fine, scraped up but not going to the hospital even, the car wasn't going fast it was one of those stupid stopped to turn right and only looked for traffic coming from the left, not a kid crossing in the crosswalk to the right.

I am having some pretty serious flashbacks right now.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Thursday - Florence Nightingale Born (Florence, Italy, 1820)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Birdwalk, CREDIT moi, early to see the arriving warblers. Awarded with three Indigo Buntings- a pretty special bird around here. Later walked to the library. 100% on plan day, CREDIT moi, with NO snacks whatsoever. Avoiding snacks seems to be a good way to stick to the path.

Vacation Vignette #3: When the taxi arrived to take us to the airport at the beginning of our trip, we were surprised to see a uniformed driver. And even more surprised to see a new black Cadillac! "Didn't they tell you? The taxies were backed up so they subcontracted with our limousine service. It'll be the same charge." So off we went on leather seats listening to a Beethoven piano concerto on the radio in luxury. I could easily adjust to the life.

onebyone – Sticking to your plan when your tribe is eating a meal is a serious challenge. Super Kudos for seeing that and not joining in.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a day devoted to catching up. It makes life easier when that Albatross of things to be done is reduced.

ennay - Sending supportive thoughts as you relive the loss of your friends kids a few years ago. I hope you take the time to use your real-life friends to talk about it.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Criticizer Trap
. . .
  • When family members say things that undermine your confidence in being able to lose weight, remind yourself, "This time is different - I'm learning skills I never had before."

• If the family members making unhelpful comments are not mean spirited, remind yourself that they may actually believe they are being helpful. They may not be intentionally trying to anger or demoralize you. But that doesn't necessarily mean you should accept their unhelpful remarks without saying anything.

• Remember, you are in charge of your reaction. You can choose to let what others say throw you off track and interfere with your goal of losing weight - or you can decide not to let the comments get in the way and continue following your plan.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 109
Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #86  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Heading up to yet another rental project. Monday night a rock came down off the hill (at great speed) and hit the corner of a bedroom window and actually pushing the entire window frame out. Thankfully, my helper is available. Giving myself credit for negotiating around so many unplanned events and maintaining my weight (give or take a few). All this "stuff" was part of my gaining so much weight in the first place. My desire not to regain is very strong. So, healthy food yesterday and a plan for today. I hope we make much progress today. I would like to have Saturday off. It's my last free day before Las Vegas wedding.

Take care everyone!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #87  

Good morning coaches,

Food was a little over calorie wise yesterday, but not bad. I came home from my meeting a little hungry but decided I didn't need anything more. The meeting was interesting. They provided a nice map of the Grand Canyon showing the less hiked trails and then a slide show of what some of those trails are like. Some of them I would like to hike, others are much too scary for me. I don't mind a bit of narrowness, but not really narrow with a big drop off, especially with a backpack on. Carrie and I agreed some were in the "no can do" category.

This morning I did a 5 1/2 mile walk on the nearby trails as I needed to be home by 8 a.m. for the the floor repair people, credit. The hardwood in the back hall is being redone because it warped where the air conditioner leaked. It will be a 2 day process. I'll hope I can work it so I can hike tomorrow.

I just found some backpacking recipes on Pinterest and ordered the ingredients from Amazon. They have dehydrated ingredients and things that cook quickly. I think it will be good to find some things I like and that I can adjust amounts to suit me. They are still fairly high in sodium, but I guess when I hike all day the sodium is okay. I also ordered a Bearikade for my backpacking in the Sierras this summer. They are the lightest containers available for food and anything that smells. Sounds crazy to you all I'm sure, but it's more exciting to me than almost anything.

Lexxis It sounds like it's always something with the rental project. I hope for your sake it is almost over.

Bill Yahoo for a 100% on plan day. I need to string a few of those together. Like a couple of weeks worth.

Time to get going and get some things done today. I'm saving some of the housework for after the completion of the floors cause I imagine it will get a bit dusty even though he's trying to contain the mess. I guess bathrooms would be a good thing to do today.

Have a good day all. I can't believe tomorrow is Friday.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #88  

Height: 5' 2"

Really, really need to find time to post here and become more aware of ways I can help myself. Plenty active with the warmer weather and love being outside a lot. With DH retired almost 3 years now, he loves to go a lot so I'm far more likely to be going with him rather than sitting quietly reading as I did the few years I had retired before he did.

Bill The Palm frond that fell near you was a huge surprise to me. All those years of trips to Florida, I've never seen one fall. Never even thought about it. Glad Palm trees don't grow this far north!!! Your trip sound good.

Time with family on Sunday was extra good, the best Mother's day ever. Today our son surprised us by inviting us out to eat. Our 2 hour lunch allowed us to do some major catch up with the part of family who were in Florida during Mother's day when we had him to ourselves!!!

We choose to skip a special dinner Sunday afternoon that is featuring lots of tempting deserts. As busy has we have been, I'd love a chance to come home from Church, dress way down and simply relax.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #89  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Today is a Thursday

Coaches

My food continues to improve as I focus on what I am eating and planning my meals at least one meal ahead of time. *credit* Weighed on the scale this morning*credit* and saw a drop of a pound from yesterday. Now 4.2lbs above my low May 1st weight. *credit* did my first HIIT workout which I have been wanting to do for many months. 7 minutes of 20sec bursts with 10sec rest for a total of 7minutes. It is, surprisingly, doable for me *credit*. Additional exercise is a walk to the mailbox a few blocks over. I was accepted into another farmers' market, a new one for me, in a very artsy/touristy area nearby. I am feeling overwhelmed now about my schedule but it's ok. I will manage.

More later.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

I'm back after a long time away. *Credit me* I have continued to maintain my weight while going through PTSD therapy for 12 weeks. My anxiety is better and now I want to get back on track for losing my last 17 lbs.
Last night I did water aerobics for an hour and didn't eat anything after dinner (always my most challenging time). I started a new practice of writing down Glitch, Good, Goal & Gratitude in my food journal in the evening and with my goal to stay on track with my food choices for the day I was able to leave alone the cookies my DH was snacking on.
So far today I have been on plan with my food Breakfast - 8 oz plain yogurt, 6 oz strawberries & 1 oz shredded wheat Lunch - 6oz green salad with 3 oz kidney & garbonzo beans, 1 hard boiled egg, 6 oz green beans and 2 oz left over potatoes from a roast my husband cooked a few days ago. Dinner today will be 4 oz pork roast 6 oz sautéed cabbage, 2 oz brown rice and 6 oz green salad. I do free pour my dressing but always use light and like my salad rather dry. No exercise tonight as I have a meeting but will be at water aerobics again on Friday night.
Closed Thread