Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #256  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks - yesterday was a healthy day… always grateful for that. I really did a lot of writing in my journal where I keep track of my day and Beck goals/tasks. Credit.

Goals and results:
Eat seated - most of the time
No seconds - all of the time
Arc/rc/beck - no
Meditation - no
Weigh - yes (looked down a smidge - spring scale)
Slow mindful eating - some of the time
Leave a bite - all the time
Journal - yes
Planned/measured/logged food - yes, it did change a couple time, however

I need to get out the cards and books and remind myself of all the wonderful techniques Dr. Beck provides.

RIP to our 25+ year old Maytag dryer. Lasted a long time. We should have better efficiency with the new one.

Puneri - WECLOME!!! There is much support and wisdom here. Glad you posted.

Super-chick - it’s wonderful you can ride your bike to work!! Credit. Thanks for talking a little about your new book.

Billbe - awesome to pass by the samples at the grocery!

Lexxiss - glad you could get your water class in. Family drama… phooey.

Missyj - credit for your walk! I agree… sometimes we need to get back to the ‘basics’ with Beck. Carry on.

Maryann - major credit for saying ‘oh well’ to a candy bar!! Good to recognize when a cooking taste is ‘bigger’ than you’d planned.. Credit.

Pamatga - your BLC stats look good. AWESOME to hear you walked three miles on your treadmill. Considering you needed a wheelchair for long distances - my heart explodes with joy for you. (I have walking issues myself)

I don’t have time for a lot of personals.. Phooey.

I hope you are all having a good day. Thanks so much for your support.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!

Late check in for me as work is getting busy and I don’t have time to post during the day. But I do try and sneak in and read over my lunch break.

Pretty good OP days for both yesterday and so far today. Gave myself credit yesterday for eating to normal fullness at lunch and didn’t finish it all just because it was there. I ended up going for a 20 minute bike ride and then spent 15 minutes in the garden with some weeding and harvesting. I did randomly find myself eating some butterscotch chips while making my lunch for today and decided if I was going to do that then I had to weigh, measure and add them to my food plan. My Zumba instructor also filmed our class on Sat and I saw myself on the video yesterday, even more incentive to keep going to the classes.

Today I followed my food plan so far, just finished a quick, light dinner before my last Tuesday (hot) Zumba class. We then have a break until the end of Sept for Tuesdays. Again paying more attention to eating to normal fullness and sitting down. Have read my cards twice so far and need to figure out tomorrow’s food plan.

Pamtaga - great job on your BLC Buddy challenge. There might be one person ahead of you by .2% but you are still a winner by committing to the challenge!

Puneri - welcome! I follow calorie counting and my back up diet plan is Weight Watchers Points Plus. As others have said Becks is great for any program you choose.

Onebyone - Love your sculptures!

BBE - great job resisting those store samples.

Beverleyjoy - I have added your Don’t Drive to my card as well. My downfall would be Dairy Queen peanut buster parfaits (I think there are about 1000 - 1300 calories!!). Always had to drive to get them and always had other willing participants in the house happy to join! My DH wanted chips really badly one night but decided he didn’t need them too badly if he had to drive to get them.

Missyj - I did throw away that pair of shorts when I got home tonight. I also wore a blouse today that didn’t fit a month ago and even though it fit better today is still not great, so it went into the goodwill bag with another one of a different color. I figure now if I want to get new clothes I’m going to like wearing them! We have a family cruise booked in Feb and I’m at a crossroad trying to decide if I should buy new clothes now (while all the summer sales are on) but I don’t know what to do about sizes. I started with a couple of sundresses cause at least I’ll be able to tie the belt tighter!

Time to pack up the ice bottle and a cold face-cloth and head off to Zumba. Have a great evening everyone!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #258  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile 2nd last Tuesday of this particular month and this particular year

Hi Coaches

*credit for cooking from scratch
*credit for planning my meals
*credit for posting/reading
*credit for drinking my water
and
*credit for weighing in today, (I sure didn't want to), the results were -0.2lbs = 281.8. Again the feeling of a small success has helped to turn my emotional state around a bit and I feel hope returning again. It is just so crucial to me to do one thing in terms of my weightloss and my life really that everyday I can point to as a success. I need that outward sign of progress daily. I think it is why I do come here and post honestly and read what you guys write. Somedays that's all I manage to get done and, according to Beck, our coaches are a key part of our success and so, coaches, thanks for being here and keeping me moving forward.

It has come to me today that for the first time since my move here on the 1st of April, that this really feels like the first day I am actually 100% aware that I now live here. My future no longer holds any obligations to my former hometown. And, (as I used to tell those who visited Ottawa when I lived there), don't bother coming back to Ottawa to do shows, and having gone back to do shows this summer, this is still a truism. We artisan types just never make a lot of money there -- not enough to cover travel costs and show fees and everything else. Emotionally too, for me, there is a high cost for me there, this being the seat of my family now. So my sense of my self is shifting big-time. It had to happen. I feel a need to get to the library and read some good books about starting again or finding your place or something. I also feel the possibility of "the new". It's all scary and exciting. I still feel the golden opportunity I have to break old patterns and surely this has to apply to my food patterns and my exercise patterns and that aspect of my life. I need to jump on this while I feel it.

Thanks for reading coaches. And thanks also for the supportive comments about my artwork. You guys make it easy for me to show you what I do. Thanks for that.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-23-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #259  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

onebyone said

Quote:
I feel a need to get to the library and read some good books about starting again or finding your place or something.
dangling bait to a librarian....

Any books by Barbara Sher would be helpful, but this one in particular: It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How to Create Your Second Life at Any Age

Cheryl Richardson has a couple of titles that might suit: Take Time for Your Life and Life Makeovers.

Martha Beck (unrelated, I believe, to Judith Beck) has a couple of titles on the topic: Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live and Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #260  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Tuesday night

Hello everyone!

Today I had another two hours in the dental hygenists chair--she did scaling and root planing on my teeth (there will be a total of four--one for each quadrant.)

As a result, I had a large bowl of boiled and mashed yam and carrots for my lunch. YUM!

I recorded what I ate, (made up a "soft foods" eating plan last week and followed most of it.). I resisted the urge (more than once) to eat some ice cream left in the fridge--even when hubby took it out of the freezer, took the lid off and said, "there's some left. Enough for a small bowl, if you want it...."

I took it as an opportunity to exercise my resistance muscle. I actually said to myself, "I want to be proud of myself today."

And so I am.

I've read over every post. Don't have time to comment on every one--but let me say that no matter where you are in the journey today, you are ALL inspiring--just by being here! So, thanks.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 08-24-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #261  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches! I had a pretty successful day yesterday, with the exception of having extra breadsticks at lunch even though my inner voice was coaching me not to. Carpets are clean but I went to bed early so I could putz and put things back in order later when they had some extra time to dry. We went to the farmers market and bought 2 lovely Colorado melons. Dinner was melon appetizer, salmon, fresh corn and very new potatoes. *credit* for saving half my salmon and corn for lunch and for adding yogurt to the potatoes instead of sour cream and butter. The further in I get, the more satisfying the healthier options are. In the old days I couldn't eat a potato without all the high fat additions. Exercise was water aerobics and moving furniture.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for passing up the free sample! (was it a good one?) Lime in gazpacho? Hmm….how did you find your recipe? I would like to try.

Alana(in Canada), sending supportive thoughts as you continue your dental work. Kudos for resisting the ice cream with great affirmation!

onebyone, I felt great empathy as I read your post yesterday. My final gain to my high weight was after my move to Colorado in 2003 and yet my success with WL here has been in accepting and embracing the new. I knew I had the opportunity for a fresh start and I took it. One of my greatest tools has been picking and choosing some new and healthy venues for meeting new friends who share some common goals. Finding a supportive environment to work out has been a miracle. I always felt uncomfortable at the gym and now I look forward to it. *credit* for feeling all the feelings you've had to get to the point of being 100% aware of where you live now.

Tazzy, *credit* for eating to normal fullness, not finishing your meal and getting some great exercise in.

Beverlyjoy, great credits! I love your new addition, don't drive for food. I relate, yet feel fortunate that my McD fries are clear on the other side of town and that my little area doesn't have many sabotaging choices.

Pam(atga), Congratulations on your 3 mile walk!! Yes, I remember when you first arrived here even a short walk was extremely difficult. Perhaps these last 10 pounds have really been a boost, too. Your post got me thinking...I lost the majority of my weight "before Beck" and now I'm really focusing on imprinting the healthy habits while continuing to live my "new normal". I was that person who needed to lose 100#, yet when I came to the Beck forum I was more like the person who needed to lose around 20. These 20 are more difficult for me, in a certain respect. Once I got in the SBD groove at 232# the initial 40# came off in less than 6 months. Now I learn to live with that loss, and recognize that sometimes when I fold my pants I still think I'm at my higher weight because I lived there so long. Beck DS is helping me to integrate.

maryann, yay for sticking with your planned snack and brushing off the thoughts of a candy bar.

gardenerjoy, and thanks for checking in! I enjoyed hearing, "Eating could be better but I seem to be back on track, so I'm not putting any energy into fretting, just staying on track". I'm finding that, too. Credit for just staying on track!

missyj, "still struggling a bit-but continuing to work on it" is a very powerful tool! *credit* I firmly believe it's the difference between an "off week" and an "off month, year, or even decade". I love tracking exercise and have found it to be very motivating. I used to do it consistently for everything. Right now I track miles on my bike (both recumbent and on the road). Thanks for the kind words...this is an incredible group.

SuperChick, thanks for the great summery on what sounds like an excellent book. I love the concept of eating time/living time. I will incorporate. BTW-I found that the time I spent + - 200# was an especially trying time. (before Beck, too). If I ate totally OP my number stayed under...if I had an off weekend, the scale would go above. It was such a major achievement to go under and was pretty distressing rising above. Hang tough! The trend is down!

Wishing you all a successful Beck day!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-24-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #262  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Hello all. Still plodding on here, haven’t quite shook this cold and still feel grotty. Was totally on the brink of a day of overeating but I read through everyone’s posts and I feel renewed and more optimistic about the day. Perhaps inspired is a better word! BF’s parents left this morning, and whilst it was lovely to have them here I am looking forward to a return to normality and a break from the take-away / wine cycle that has been the past week.

I am going to attempt to lay low today and give my body what it needs to get through to tomorrow (sweat pants, book and the couch? Yes please!), have an early night and hopefully wake up cold free with a clear head tomorrow.

Thanks guys, having your support here is really helping my stay the course – it seems to have got rocky the past couple of weeks
Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #263  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It's cool this morning. The seasons are thinking change.

Worked hard to resist the draw of nuts and raisins to make tensions go away, CREDIT moi. Another day on plan feels good. Dinner on the patio included a marinated flank steak from the deli at Whole Foods - one step easier than going to a restaurant. I would have stopped at half of my served portion, but life is a bit hectic to include leftovers.

Took a walk to the post office to mail a letter, CREDIT moi, ignoring that it wasn't really important enough that it couldn't wait until the next day to be picked up by the postman. I just wanted it out of the house so my brain would remove it from the I-still-gotta-do-this list.

onebyone - Welcome to Toronto. And Kudos for seeing your relocation as an opportunity for change.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad you're moving on from the weekend.

Beverlyjoy – Thanks for "Leave a bite - all the time" - I'm forgetting that one and need to work on it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Congrats on your successful teaching. And Kudos for such a healthy dinner.

maryann - LOL at, "but I seemed to have expanded a definition of bite" - I know about a bite of chili needing a bowl and some chips, just to test the seasonings.

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for those three miles - without a wheelchair. It's refreshing to read your perspective that you can turn the extra pounds into an advantage for learning the lifetime strategies that can easily be forgotten by those who have a lessor journey.

Alana in Canada - Congrats for getting one fourth of your dental work done, with Kudos for avoiding an ice cream reward even when it was waved in your face.

missyj - Kudos for taking a long walk even without the "whole endorphin rush concept" - we're all so different.

Tazzy - I'm learning that gardening is hard exercise - Kudos for getting your exercise in such a fun way.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit

Successful dieters continually put the focus on what they are doing right. They tell themselves, good job (or the equivalent), whenever they practice a Success Skill and stick to their eating plan. Doing so builds their self-confidence. They prove to themselves that they really can take control and exert self-discipline. In a study at the University of Pittsburgh, participants lost more weight if they practiced skills that increased their confidence, compared with participants who did not that these steps.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 66.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #264  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up and moving forward...

Good Morning Coaches

*credit for weighing in. Glad I didn't skip that this morning as the scale showed me a 3.4lb loss = 278.4!
Huh. Go figure. Thank you body for doing what you do.
You can bet I want to move my ticker to that 278 number on Friday so I will be VERY protective of my eating the next two days... persist in victory I say!

So this means I also commit to a WATP 1 mile session. I want to move that exercise ticker along. I know the two tickers (weightloss & workouts) support each other.

Today I have some fabulous chores to carry out. Today's the deadline to submit all supporting materials for my artist residency next February: a headshot, resume, an artist statement -- which must be pithy enough to draw 3 quotes from for their catalogue and their advertising (imagine!!!), a few images of past work. I found the headshot jpg I will send. I took it when I was coming up from a basement. It's a weird picture but I like it... and it's a flattering angle (looking down from above) so it's my choice. I have several versions of everything else so just to do it eh? Always with the doing...

bbl8r for personals.

PS I changed my avatar to one of my Mirrors of Positive Affirmation. It felt like the right message for me right now. I've attached a bigger jpg for you to see it better to this message...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viking.jpg (48.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 08-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #265  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Thanks folks.
I will try to get the book. I will start eating slowly and not do anything else while eating. Sorry, solved sudoku while having breakfast today.
I made oatmeal sanja today.
Recipe
In 2tea spoon olve oil saute onion, ginger and tomatoes.
Put oatmeal 1/2cup, salt to taste and 1 cup water.
After water dries down you get yummy sanja.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #266  

Oh i also had 1/2 peach it was big and green tea.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #267  

Just read. 12 day body shaping miracle by michael thermond.
It says you have to eat 30 min prior and 30 min after exercise.
Anybody following this?
Also you have to eat complex carbs in each meal.
What is your openion.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #268  
Starting over

Puneri,
when you read the pink book by Beck she recommends you pick a diet plan that you can follow. Does eating carbs at every meal appeal to you? Can you eat carbs at every meal?

For some, eating carbs sets them up to eat and eat and eat. (And not all carbs, but some. For example, white bread might trigger someone to eat the loaf, whereas rye bread may be fine. It depends on you and your body.

Ditto for the timed eating before and after exercise.

Losing weight is NOT about following rules. It's about being conscious and intentional about what you eat--and it's about eating less than you need to fuel your day so that your body uses up it's stored fat. BUT you can't eat so little your body thinks there's a sudden lack of food out there.

You have lost 16 pounds already--so you are doing something which works!

Another thing--don't do anything to lose weight you wouldn't want to do once the weight is gone--or it will come back. That's why Beck is so valuable. One needs the mental conditioning for ever.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #269  
Starting over

Good day Becksters.

credit--planned my food for today.
credit--got on the scale. Down something. (the scale said 242 or 243 something yesterday, today it is 241.4)

The night I ate too much Chinese food, I called my husband over and told him, "I ate too much Chinese."

He replied, "So? I got it for you as a treat."

"Yes, but I ate too much."

"So?"

"I feel like I've blown it. I feel like I might as well forget about it all and just eat whatever I want."

"That's just an excuse to give up."

"But what do I do?"

He looked at me like I was from another planet.

"No, seriously, I don't know what to do. I blew it. I'm a failure."

And then he said, "Why don't you just eat less tomorrow?"

"What?"

"Why don't you just eat half or something of whatever you eat tomorrow."

"Is that all? Is it that simple?"

and so it was.

(PS: dental work helps.)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #270  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends... yesterday was a healthy day - always grateful for that.

Today my cursor is jumping around again. I want to blow up the computer.

Some things I did yesterday:
planned/measured/ logged food
ate seated -mostly
fork down between bites -some of the time
no seconds - all the time
lots of water
a few stretches
Arc/rc/beck book - no
Eat slowly - some of the timer
Thinking about the difference be hunger, craving & desire.

I had a big plate of of sliced tomatoes left over from the cookout - th So I put them in a pot with some onions, pepppers, a bit of stevia and oregano and made some stewed tomatoes. So good!

I've got to get my car checked today. Some bolts on the car in the wheel well have popped off (not from the wheel) This should not happen!

I really need to include my meditation into my day. It always helps.

Good news... I have lost another pound. (four sticks of butter!) yay I was able to change my next mini goal from 224 to 219.

Taazzy - wonderful that you ate to fullness and recognized it, then stopped.

Onebyone - happy dance for pounds lost. Many credits, too. Carry on.

gardener joy - thanks for the book recommendations.

Alana - awesome to use your resistance muscle on ice cream. Hooray.

Lexxiss/Debbie - well done on only eating half your salmon and using healthy toppings on your potato. Yes, once ya get ‘into it’.. making healthy choices does often get easier at times.

super chick - I hope you feel better. Credit for resisting extra food for comfort.

Billbe- kudos for resisting nuts and raisins and walking to the PO for some excise.

Puneri - credit for trying to slow down and stay focused on the food only!

Have a great day.
I must get this cursor thing fixed.
Closed Thread