Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #196  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Internet Glitches and Life Glitches

Hi Coaches

My internet is down at home. So annoying. So here I am at the Starbucks again. I bought, and ate, a biscotti here too this morning. I am drifting offtrack and the stressor is my upcoming trip to Ottawa for two shows this weekend. I am working on my packing tape sculpture for the Lumiere Festival and I am also adding to my stock of paintings for the Womens' Art Festival the day after in Kingston. I haven't worked out where I am staying yet. I keep trying to reach my brother but have had no luck.

*credit to weighing in yesterday and today. The results? A 0.7lb gain yesterday and a further 1.5lb gain today = 2.2lbs up to 280.something... don't remember now... 280.9 maybe. I did not get my WATP workouts in. I did eat more sugar and I did have a very very salty dinner last night where I threw together many things to create a stew but most of the elements were from pre-packaged goods and we all know that = salt salt and more salt.

Nevermind these PAST forays into he foodstuffs. I have time to turn this around beforre my Official Friday weighin. In fact, I have some uberhealthy food in the fridge so I will focus on the healthy and the fresh and drinking my water and getting my sculpture made!

Better go. Almost 10am. Time to get to work.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 180/173.6/155

Height: 5'7

Good morning Beck friends!

Report for yesterday (Tuesday): Weighed in and saw a 1.4 loss on the scale, which put me below my first 5 pound loss goal. Yay! Stayed OP with my eating throughout the day. For exercise, I went to the rec center with a couple of friends to do a toning workout. Had a good workout, then headed out to the pool to visit with another friend. The pool was pretty empty, so we ended up jumping in and playing in there for a while (still in our full workout clothes). I’m sure we were a sight to see – three 30-something, fully-dressed moms splashing around, going down the slides, jumping off the diving board. It felt good to be silly and playful for a change. We all need a break from being grown-up now and then!

Today I saw a little increase on the scale (up 0.4). Not surprising after yesterday’s loss, so I’m not too worried about it. I’m still below my first five pound goal and feeling good about things. Looking forward to staying OP today and practicing all my Beck skills. Lots to do today as the kids go back to school tomorrow. I must say, I’m ready for them to go back so I can get back into some semblance of routine and order. Fortunately, they’re all excited and ready to go back too.

Question for all you smart people – What do you do when you’re going to a party or other social situation and you’re not sure what will be served? How do you plan for that? Tomorrow I’m going to a back-to-school mom breakfast, and I know there will be lots of tasty, unhealthy foods there to tempt me (but I don’t know any specific items that will be served). Right now my plan is to 1. Eat a little something before I go so I’m not starving (and read my ARC); 2. Only drink water (no caloric beverages); 3. Take small servings, choosing the healthiest options possible; 4. Use my Beck resistance techniques to resist anything particularly evil and tempting; 5. Fill up my plate only once, and don’t go back for more of anything; 6. Focus on the fun and the socializing, rather than the food.

onebyone – Good luck with your sculpture and upcoming shows! It sounds like you’re very talented.
eusebius – That’s great that the scale went down today!
SuperChick – Yay for successful detoxing!
pamatga – You’re doing great! I’ve Sounds like you have quite a day planned. Add you to the list of talented and creative people in this group!
pamatga - You're doing great! I've enjoyed reading about your BLC challenge.
Tazzy – I too am hesitant to do the hunger experiment. Because I’m nursing an exclusively breastfed baby, I don’t think it would be good for me to go that long without food. I do think that I will experiment with skipping some snacks and stretching the time that I go between eating, so that I can prove to myself that hunger isn’t an emergency.

Fussy baby needs a nap now. Catch you all later!

Last edited by TriMommy; 08-17-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions on my hunger experiment question. As it happened yesterday my usual lunch at 11:30am (I could set my watch by my stomach!) was delayed as I had some unexpected stuff happen at work. I didn't actually eat lunch until 1:30pm and found that the hunger did fade and it was not an emergency. I still want to try for the full day between breakfast and dinner and will plan a day for that. It might be easier at home where I have more physical things that can occupy my time than sitting at my desk. I don't have a underlying medical condition that I am aware of, I just know when my blood sugar levels drop.

Otherwise my day was pretty good, had a massage followed by Zumba, I know probably the wrong order, and it all happened quite quickly after work so my downfall was not having something prepared for dinner when I got home at 8pm. I went into the pantry with the idea of Popcorn Indiana Chipin's and some salsa and decided maybe a bowl of cereal would be a better choice. It was until I decided some rice crackers would be good as well. Credit for the 60 minute Zumba class in a very hot community centre (I'm sure it's the equivalent to doing hot yoga which I have never tried) and realizing that hunger is not an emergency. Also read my ARC twice and added more response cards.

I saw a great quote yesterday and once I can add my ticker I'll include it there as well. "Forget will power; it's all about WANT-power. How badly do you want it."

Credits to everyone and all the successes you have experienced lately.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #199  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yay! I remembered to weigh myself. And got to see a 2+ pound loss!

WI: -1.1kgs, Exercise: +85 675/1300 minutes and 15/33 miles for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

TriMommy: your plan for your social outing sounds excellent. My plan usually includes "focus on the veggies" but that's a bit harder when it's a breakfast, but you never know. Also, instead of "small" servings, I usually put "tiny" servings in my plan. That reminds me that just a bite or two is often enough to feel like I got a satisfying taste of something without getting too many calories.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #200  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Wednesday afternoon

Hello Beckies!

Had to return the pink book to the library--got out the green book. You know, I think I might actually enjoy it more! We'll see. It's sort of like starting all over again which at the moment seems like a good thing.

scale showed a 0.6 drop since Sunday's weigh-in so I'm happy. It was zigzagging all over the place--sort of like my eating. Imagine that!

Tazzy-- Yesterday I made a big pot of bean soup (added some extra sweet potato to boost the veggie content) and I decided to freeze four one cup servings for myself so I can just throw something in the microwave for myself. (I'm home all day and I miss the convenience of just throwing macaroni in the pot or something breaded into the oven for lunch). Perhaps that's something you'd like to do, too? Just to have something on hand for those nights when you know you won't have time to fix anything. (Though one of the fastest and simplest meals I do is take the box of Highliner frozen sole and put the fish directly into the oven topped with 1/2 can of tomatoes and basil, rice in the rice cooker and frozen spinach or beans cooked in the microwave.)

gardener joy--congrats on the loss!

TriMommy--your plan sounds good. Do you have the book? Do you have time to re-read what Beck has to say about it? Read some of your cards beforehand for sure.

onebyone--rats for your internet being down at home. These trips sound like they cause you a TON of stress. Are they worth it? What would be the worst thing that would happen if you never went on these trips? I don't know what to say. If you absolutely must do them, then how can you make them plesant? Is there music you can play--or an audiobook--something that would be a "treat'? Can you reward yourself with something indulgent (other than food, of course) after these trips? Something to look forward to? Have you had time to look into a support group for coping with your Mom?

eusebius--kudos for an early night! Sounds like you have a wonderful sound full day happening! (Thanks. He makes me smile.)

BillBE--good for you for negotiating fenway and the subway. I find the Subway intimidating.

Lexxiss--boo for the empty cupboard. Remember to eat well while you travel, my friend!

Pamatga--Oh my, you have been quite active and busy. My goodness. Congrats on your effort!

Superchick--congrats on 2 days OP!

I'm spending my day decluttering so we can see the surfaces again. Good stuff.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #201  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had my regular afternoon snack, CREDIT moi, which I had been avoiding because the toaster is on the third floor and I have my snack outside on the patio. Ouch that I gobbled some additional snacks to counter the normal, low level tension of the continuing project. Lunch was a monster tomato sandwich from our garden. Just loving the bounty.

onebyone - Ouch for the tension of finding a place to stay in Ottawa and having to create more works. Here's to "uberhealthy food" to get you back on track.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder, "just a bite or two is often enough to feel like I got a satisfying taste of something."

Erika (eusebius) - Is there any instrument that you don't play or teach, LOL? Yay for happy scale movement. [Ouch for a difficult season for the Toronto Blue Jays, but Yay for a win last night.]

Alana in Canada - Look forward to your thoughts about the difference between the green and pink Beck books. I like the idea of having frozen single-servings of bean soup ready in the freezer.

TriMommy - Silly is the best antidote to the constant pressures of parenting - Yay for remembering that you can still do it. My take is that you're doing just the right thing preparing for a social event where you don't know in advance what food will be served. Your plan can lead you through the evening. My weakness is the walking appetizers; I want to grab them like I'll never see food again.

Tazzy - Love the quote, "How badly do you want it." Yep, Kudos for Zumba in a hot community center.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
It helps you in several other ways, too:
what to do . . .
Here are some additional tips I have learned from dieters:
  • Allison puts a yellow star shaped sticky note on the dining table to remind herself to eat slowly. When she finds herself eating too quickly, she stops eating, traces the star with her finger, and slows down. Even when she is out to dinner, she often inconspicuously traces an imaginary star on her place mat to remind herself to slow down.
. . . . . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 64.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #202  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Cool Detox day 4 (last detox day this week!)

Another rainy Aberdeen morning On Day 4 of the detox, and despite eating less yesterday than the day before, the scale went up 1lb this morning. Oh well. I’m sure it’ll sort itself out by the end of the week.

Credits:
weighed in, checked in, gym this morning, biked to work, planned for the day, read ARC.

We are away camping for the weekend with boyf’s family (they are then coming to visit us for the first part of next week). We will be travelling tonight so I have already packed my tea (detox salad) and snacks (fruit and carrot sticks). I know I am going to have to be extra vigilant this weekend as I’ve put in so much hard work this week I don’t want to ruin it all with a weekend of unplanned eating. So I guess I’ll follow gardenerjoy’s advice of focusing on the veggies and I’m going to have to try to be strong and remember when I’m facing down a packet of biscuits (that's if I get a look in before boyf and his younger brother, ) would I rather be thinner? Yes please!

Debbie – Ouch for ‘exhausted, no plan and an empty cupboard’ – sending positive thoughts your way

BBE – credit for leaving some of the burrito – when it’s yummy food like that it can be hard! Yea for garden bounty!

Erika – glad you’re feeling more focused. Are you vegan or do you just eat vegan foods some of the time? You are so talented with all of these instruments!

Onebyone – credit for ‘uberhealthy foodstuffs’ and the determination to turn things around before Friday.

Trimommy - for the first 5lb down also, you’re plan for the food related event sounds good, especially the filling the plate up once. I might steal that idea for myself

Tazzy – yea for ‘want power’

Joy – woop woop for the -2lb!

Alana – yea for 0.6lb loss and for clearing the clutter… feels so much better! Interesting about the two books, I might see if my library stocks the green one…

I may try to get back later, but otherwise i'll be away from technology (yippee!) for the next 3 days. Have a good, positive and healthy Beck Weekend everyone!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #203  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Still pretty tired, but I really like the feeling of not much caffeine in my body. No growling stomach sure makes it easier to stick to my plan. This morning I have to play for a saxophone exam and then I have the morning off, so a nap may be in order ... LOL, I don't actually play all those other instruments - just the piano accompaniments

Tried a new kind of veggie burger last night - a "mushroom rice burger" that was only 90 calories. Tasty. My daughter loved it too. Tonight I'm making a 5-ingredient vegan chili - will probably have it going in the crockpot all afternoon. Love those crockpot scents!
Scale went down again to a new low number. Happy to see that. But I will endeavour not to focus on it too much.

onebyone - ((((Hugs)))) - I can understand being stressed out about these big events. Great that you have some healthy stuff on hand to fall back on foodwise.

TriMommy - Yay for reaching your first 5-lb goal!! Love the story of you all playing in the pool together. That's the kind of spirit we could all use more of!

Tazzy - Cool that you learned that hunger isn't an emergency! Credit also for "Hot Zumba" - you may have a get-rich-quick scheme on your hands there

gardenerjoy - Yay for a 2 lb loss!!

Alana - Let us know what you think of the green book! I've never read it. Yay for 0.6 gone!

BillBE - Ouch for extra tension related snacks but yay for fresh tomato sandwiches.

SuperChick - Yep, I'm sure the 1lb is just a wiggle. Good planning for your camping trip- have fun! I have only been eating vegan for 2 1/2 weeks but other than one slip I've totally avoided animal products. Feels good!

Wishing everyone a lovely Thursday,

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: no
Qi Gong: no
Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #204  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I went to bed around 2 a.m.---I check my/our e-mails before going to bed and some needed immediate attention so I didn't get to bed before 1 a.m., as I have been trying to make a practice of. I didn't end up going to bed until 6 a.m. on Wednesday either so I need to get back into my sleep pattern in the next day because things will be busy on Saturday. I want to make the information session regarding planting for our fall/winter garden. I have never had one before (since I lived in the North) and so I need this. Also, although I haven't belonged to a fitness center in a very long time (20 years actually) and I am usually not interested in rejoining; a new LA Fitness is having their grand opening this Saturday and they are 1/4 mile from us. They sent us an "invite" and they have a pool. We have an in-ground pool and a fitness center here in our gated community but the little kids are always in the pool (with the adults fully dressed sitting under the shade trees-my DH hates that too!) and the fitness center is mostly full of young "buffed" men. If we can swing the monthly dues, we might sign up for this. Finally, I might be able to get into the pool without having 8 year-olds cannonballing over my head.

onebyone
- I am with others here. All this sounds so stressful. Either you really want this really bad or you need it really bad. I hope you will be able to find a happy medium where it presents less stress. I too hope you can find a support group for caregivers. Do not underestimate how much of a toil that can take on you. Emotionally and eventually physically.

gardenerjoy – I never thought I would say this but last night I divided out 2 servings (20 pieces) of chocolate covered almonds, ate them and, ta da, I was satisfied. What??? Me??? Yes!! Just like Haley's Comet, it happens once in a great while.

eusebius - Yup, my DH is experiencing an increase in all things musical. Tis the season. "A happy husband makes for a happy wife." I don't have to fuss over him when I see him streaking pass. He is busy and that makes him happy. As part of a spiritual discipline, I offered to go meatless and fast three days a week starting on September 14th. My DH is required to do this until Easter morning each year but he has had difficulty doing so. I have one year before age 59 and it no longer becomes mandatory so I told him (in an effort to support him and get him to follow it) I told him I would also "follow suit". I have been collecting all vegetarian recipes in preparation. Note: This is NOT to lose weight but for spiritual growth and discipline. It is very easy to get into that thinking mode but I feel confident I do know the difference by now.

Alana in Canada - I have both books. I have thoroughly read the pink book and just skimmed the green ones. Since I prefer to cook my own recipes, I really didn't need that lead but I do know that a lot of people are stumped when it comes time to figure out what to eat. Great idea about the single servings. I wish I would have done that with some of my food I made. I only divided it once so now I still have 4-6 servings when the time comes to thaw it out. In fact, this is one of my "newer" strategies that is working out remarkably well. Now, I am going to get a supply of smaller containers so I can break things down even smaller. I also have been freezing my whole wheat muffins like this and it is so easy to take one out, thaw it out in the microwave and have a warm, aromatic muffin for a meal or a snack. Oh, well, we learn as we go (and grow), right?

TriMommy - I copied your point by point strategy. Now, as fall approaches and a lot of gatherings start having regular meetings, which sometimes involve food, I am going to use your points to follow. Thank you for sharing! In fact, I go to a pot luck on September 9th to kick off our weekly Friday night Bible study class and I am bringing all cut up vegetables and possibly zucchini lasagna as my hot dish. Maybe, my whole wheat muffins as a dessert item. I just made whole wheat strawberry muffins. Awesome again and so moist with the fresh strawberry bits. I think 4-6 grams of fiber in them too!!

Tazzy - Hey, girl, I am sharing that quote. It really is about how bad do you want this!! It always was. It was never about being the strongest or the most noble. It was just wanting it so bad, you'd be willing to do just about anything (healthy of course) to get it. Thanks for sharing!! Oh, if you have done the hunger experiment, I too have to watch for low blood sugar symptoms and I carry glucose tablets but what you can do is have a few raisins or even a small glass of milk when you are feeling "woozy". Works for me!

BBE How soon is your renovation from being completed? I sure hope that you haven't gained a few pounds with all this stress-related eating. Keep up the walking and gym work and that should see you through this.

Credit:
** Pleased to announce that I broke the 260 mark. I weighed 259.4 lbs this morning. Yes, I was quick to change my ticker. I was hoping to before Monday's official weigh in for my Buddy Challenge. As for weighing in on the daily weighing in. I also keep track of it and make notes to myself. I have found it very useful to see what I was doing before a gain and also a lose because then I know what to avoid and what to do more of. That is how I use those numbers. It is like a "diet GPS". I know what streets to take and what ones to avoid.
**As I mentioned above, I measured out 2 servings (20 pieces) of chocolate covered almonds. Last night was our 9th wedding anniversary and although we had plans earlier, both of us were so darn tired and Paul had a deadline of tonight for a presentation he is giving for a men's group that I said let's take a rain check and go out to eat on Friday night when we will be more ourselves and we can enjoy our food more. I will not go out to eat when I am tired or just feeling "blah". He had several Kit Kats while working on his speech and I had my chocolate covered almonds and that was our "celebration" so far. We'll rock on Friday night. One truth I have found to be self-evident: IF I am in a good place emotionally, then food is just food. I don't need to eat to "cover" something else going on in my life. IF is the key word.
**Sidenote: Prior to me opening the package of CCA, I responded to an e-mail from a fellow Buddy and he mentioned that he had lost one leg due to diabetes complications and finding it difficult to exercise because of the associated pain. It sucked me back into the reality of what this disease can do if left unchecked, neglected or ignored. I shared with him how I had managed to get out of the "danger zone" but how I had slacked some once I was past the "scary stage". It reminded me that "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance". My blood glucose responds according to what and how I eat. 2 servings of CCA is enough. It really is.

Stats for Day 10 BLC Buddy Challenge(yesterday):
***weighed 259.4 lbs---broke the 260 mark!!
**2109 cal 25 gram fiber 2100 mg sodium (best yet on sodium!)
**didn't sleep well on Tuesday night -in fact, didn't fall asleep until 6 a.m.--tired all day so nixed any exercise. Again, I listened to my body and respected what it was telling me.
**1 serving Vegetable- red beans 2 1/2 servings of fruits:1 whole apple, 1/2 c pineapple, 1/2 c strawberries
[Again, I am trying to eat up leftovers and when I eat a lot of grains then my vegetables suffer. Starting out today with spinach and fire-roasted tomatoes in my a.m. omelet. Having cooked cabbage and spicy lean beef sausage for lunch and stuffed peppers with brown rice for dinner. That should cover the vegetables. Had another wonderful fresh cantalope from my garden for breakfast. Everything tastes so much better when ripened by the sun ]

Last edited by pamatga; 08-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #205  
Green Tomatoes

I'm doing well. Hope everyone else is plugging along, too.

WI: -0.25kgs, Exercise: +65 740/1300 minutes and 17/33 miles for August, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hi Coaches & Buddies!
I had another good day yesterday. I’ve been feeling a bit more stressed this week with being back at work and finding the time to put into the program. I am happy that I started it while I had my week at home as it helped to be able to read ahead and now on each day the new stuff is somewhat familiar. My DH was also out of town for a couple of days and it means extra stuff with my two step-sons (12 & 17). But he is home tonight and I’ll be really happy when the boys go back to school in two weeks and we get some semblance of routine again.

I did another mini experiment on the hunger yesterday and had breakfast at home at 7am before going to work. I usually eat around 8am in the office. I skipped my snack and held off having lunch until 12 noon. I can deal with the grumbling stomach feelings, it’s the spacey light-headed feeling I get that leads to a headache. I have been paying much closer attention to the feeling of fullness when eating and think I’ll stay focused on that for now.

I got some spontaneous exercise in during the day when I walked to the mailbox at the end of the block and continued the long way around back to work. My planned exercise was gardening and I harvested a large ziplock size bag of yellow beans. And fought with some thistle that was taller than the potato plants!

Alana in Canada – Great idea for the single servings. I already do that for my husband’s lunches and need to think about it for myself. I’m usually quite prepared I was just trying to cram too much into a short time and didn’t think about how tired I would be after my Zumba class.

BBE – with all my gardening endeavours tomatoes are one thing that I struggle with. Only the small cherry ones are growing well and I’d need a lot of those for a sandwich. I envy that!

SuperChick – good luck with your plans for camping and yeah for getting away from technology.

Eusebius – congrats on your 10 pound loss. Your mushroom rice burger sounds good; did you make it from scratch? I’ll skip the hot Zumba idea, wasn’t sure I was going to get through the class!

Pamatga – congrats on breaking the 260 mark. To me to get into a lower “decade” of numbers is always encouraging. Be sure to catch up on all that sleep you are missing!

Gardenerjoy - As BBE said this is a great reminder – “ just a bite or two is often enough to feel like I got a satisfying taste of something."

TriMommy – I’m going to try your strategies for event eating this weekend at my nephew’s wedding. I am also going to try and find out from my sister what the dinner menu is. Although dinner is not until 8:30pm so I’m guessing we’ll have a snack before heading to the ceremony at 6:30pm.

Onebyone – good luck on your sculpture and cheers to “uberhealty” food in the fridge!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Afternoon Coaches: Today's weighin showed a full two pounds down for the week. I once again have a BMI that is "normal," not over weight. I am waiting to change my ticker until I have two days straight at the weight. I do a little bouncing. Credit for Body Flow Yoga this morning. I mailed my first packet of work to Goddard and hope to finish second packet by Sunday. I seem to be puttering a lot today. I was used to having so much time in summer for shopping, couponing, reading etc... Now it is all jammed up into Thursday morning. Within the hour, my goal is to start creative writing work - that leaves me 25 mins for a nap
gardenerjoy: Happy Anniversary.
BBE: Credit for the tomato. How I wish we could swap walnuts for tomatoes.
Eusebius:What a grand , varied day. I was a music major with no major talent. In another life I would love to have had talent like yours.
Tazzy: congrats on another good day. I just read a daily meditation that said "We must put as much time in our recovery as we did our addiction. I hope that is not true because I put A LOT of time in on my addiction. But I agree. Sometimes the time involved in Beck is overwhelming.
Pamatga: I use my gym all the time. It is so nice to have lots of options.
Lexxiss: I appreciate the reminder of eternal vigilance. Although never diabetic, I know that left uncheck, weight would ruin my life as I know it now.
superchick: good luck with the weekend. You know I hate having to travel when I have had a mixed bag of eating behaviors for the previous week.
Tri Mommy: Yes to all your solutions. They have all been successful for me at one time or another. My two favorite are eat before you go and drink no cal beverages and bring your own snack. You think everyone will be looking but you're just not that important. For emergencies, I carry around Justin's organic peanut butter to go packs. One packet has a good balance of carbs and protein. I eat it and let the other food go.
onebyone:Credit for turning the week around. You can do it!

Last edited by maryann; 08-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #208  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post the internets return.

Helllloooooo coaches!

We were heading into day 3 without our internet. What a terrible thing to be without it. I had yet another biscotti today while at the coffee shop, a different one, this morning trying to keep up with my emails to and fro. Geez.

So my mermaid figure is complete. She has hair. She has fins. She had a BEATING RED HEART!!!! yeah. That's my big innovation to this year's sculpture. My mermaid has a beating heart and her beguiled lover has a heart that will beat even faster. I sure hope it looks as great as I imagine it to. I'll post jpgs once the event is over and i am back home.

To everyone concerned that I am stressed out over my mom...not this trip! This trip to Ottawa is strictly work-related. I show ans sell my artwork at festivals and such but the festival I am at Sat night is a night festival called Lumiere. It's a festival of light/candlelight/LED lights in my case. As an artist you submit a potential project to do and then they say yes or no and they said yes to me so I get paid to create the sculpture I described. It's not my usual type of art show/festival. My usual is where I will be on Sunday. 2 hours west of Ottawa in Kingston (and halfway back home) I will be at a one day women's art festival showing/selling my paintings. So both of these events should give me some very much needed cash. Getting ready is always stressful, always too much to do, never a sure thing. The stress is part of it. I made a decision the last time I was in Ottawa two weeks ago that I would not visit my mom if I was going there to work and this trip is so short, so dense, that I am not dropping by. I'm not visiting. Seeing her throws me off too much and she is doing fine where she is. Better than fine really. I need to stay focused on my shows.

* credit for weighing in this morning: -0.3 to 280.6 I think. Not sure if I'll be under that 280 tomorrow. We ate late again and I have not had enough water today. My food choices were ok. Not a disaster; certainly much improved over past weeks getting ready for shows. At least I remain *conscious* of making food choices. Even in this one small way I am making steady progress forward. I have not just thrown up my hands this time and said "whatever. I'll do it when I get back and things calm down." Yeah, this is a definite credit for me.

Better go. Time to re-lax...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #209  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I had a difficult time accessing our Beck corner yesterday. I could access SBD but not here... I'm hoping my early morning will allow me to get caught up. Life is super stressful right now. I'm turning into a professional juggler without all the fancy balls. Whew. I did have a moment for self-evaluation and came to the conclusion that I am dealing with the stress better than I ever have and I credit Beck Diet Solution AND my willingness to practice my Beck skills for my ability stay the course right now.
~ I am not 100% OP, but I am maintaining my losses
~ I don't have a comprehensive daily food plan right now but I think about it
~ I find moments in the chaos to take care of myself.

I accompanied my mom to a lengthy(3-1/2 hr) eye appt. on Wednesday. Instead of heading out to shop and peruse thrift stores, I looked through magazines and started a big list of new ideas for OP dinners. I'm excited to try some new things and am looking forward to things calming down a bit.

I have two more Mondays of the yoga class I'm teaching (for free) and *credit* myself for the major amount of time and energy I have put into the class. Truth be told, it's helped me immensely. Once that commitment is complete it's back over to continue the painting project. Once I finish painting, I can focus on the outdoor projects which need to be done to winterize units for our family business. This is difficult because my mom does not let go of control with grace and it's really obvious for the first time that she is not able to manage as effectively as she used to. She does not see this, but I observed things yesterday that she is not aware of which must be done before snowfall.

BillBlueEyes, sending supportive thoughts! I'm usually enthusiastic about an extra dash up or down stairs but have noticed this week that sometimes I just don't feel like it. Maybe you could put your toaster under a tarp on the patio...lol Your monster tomato sandwich sounds like a must try….Its on my bucket list for this summer to try gazpacho….any hints….

onebyone, yay for being conscious of making better food choices, even when faced with the stresses of preparing for your shows. I'm wishing you the best for this weekend.

maryann, *credit* for continued vigilance required to maintain your normal BMI and continue with all the other requirements of your life.

Tazzy, great job with your mini hunger experiment . Yay for completing other Beck tasks, too. I'm with you...will be happy to find some semblance of a routine. I look forward to seeing that quote on your ticker.

gardenerjoy, credit for checking in and reporting "I'm doing well". Yay!

Pam(atga), credit for breaking the 260 mark! Love this…."One truth I have found to be self-evident: IF I am in a good place emotionally, then food is just food. I don't need to eat to "cover" something else going on in my life. IF is the key word."

Erika(eusebius), interesting...liking the feeling of not much caffeine in your body. I've been working on that, too...most days no caffeine after morning coffee. credit focusing on your food plan and finding a new low number on the scale. Great that you're not going to focus on it too much, though.

SuperChick, great plan for the weekend! Recognizing that you've put so much hard work into your plan this week makes it much easier to be vigilant on the weekend!

Alana(in Canada), I now own both books. I find them both useful. When I have more time, I focus on the pink book...when time is scarce I find the green book to be easier for me to follow. *credit* for decluttering and making freezer meals for yourself.

TriMommy, let us know how your breakfast social went….I always end up at dinner events. You're doing a great job incorporating Beck skills into your daily routine...especially with your lil' one.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-19-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #210  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Used my resistance muscle after lunch, CREDIT moi. I wanted a fist full of nuts, but went down to the basement and got my normal carrots instead. This morning I'm off to the dentist to get my lecture that I can't reach between the rear molars to floss properly. I need smaller hands, LOL.

onebyone - Life without Internet - the joy and the agony. Can't wait to see the mermaid. Have a good trip to Ottawa.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, plugging along.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for a DD who likes a "mushroom rice burger" - may she grow up with a healthy attitude toward food.

maryann - Congrats on those two pounds. Yay for short naps - two year olds got it right. [You got me wondering what a walnut and tomato sandwich would taste like.]

Pam (pamatga) – Yay for continued pursuit of veggies. Hope the pool works out. [Probably done with the painting and work by mid-September - then have to move all the furniture and books back in.]

SuperChick - Waving toward the wilderness. May your BF's brother save you from the cookies.

Tazzy - Kudos for pursuing the hunger experiment again. Sounds good that you'll focus on feeling satisfied as a clue to stop eating. [Yep, never tried a cherry tomato sandwich, LOL.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
It helps you in several other ways, too:
what to do . . .
Here are some additional tips I have learned from dieters:
. . . . . .
  • Jenna sometimes tops eating and sings to herself when she notices she is eating too fast. She changes the words of Simon and Garfunkel's "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' groovy)" from "Slow down, you move too fast ...," to "Slow down, you eat too fast, you want to make this good taste last."
. . . . . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 64.
Closed Thread