3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/239669-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-august-2011-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 08-01-2011 05:12 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 08-01-2011 05:13 AM

Welcome rubidoux

:welcome: rubidoux :welcome:

And, if you didn't get one of these when you joined 3 weeks ago, :wel3fc:

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?

BillBlueEyes 08-01-2011 05:14 AM

Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was close enough to plan, CREDIT moi. That included a repeat trip to the Thai restaurant that serves almost as fast as McDonalds. I read a book about carpentry details as I ate curried beef with mango over brown rice. Life is good.

Exercise was painting and other chores. Ouch for getting so involved with my project that I've been skipping gym. My August challenge is to get back to three gym trips per week, NO CHOICE.

onebyone - Ouch for malware with major Kudos for knowing that running its "clean up software" can make it worse. Good luck with sales today.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ouch for the reality of family dynamics. Thanks for the image of running to the diving board "to take a big dive into the realm of unplanned and purposely uncontrolled eating" - I'll remember that. Kudos for getting salsa from the Mexican restaurant.

maryann - Yay for progress on your "pantry and freezer challenge." [Re: "You need to apply to Goddard." Why yes, yes I do. Hoping they teach English as a First Language, particularly overcoming creative punctuation - including hyphens just stuck into otherwise sane sentences. Nor sentences beginning with a word that presumes something that isn't there. And fragments; even if split by semi-colons trying to make them look like sentences.]

Alana in Canada - Kudos for the walk, but gotta LOL at "we were brisk so we could outpace the skeeters."

Woodland – Interesting notion to engage the creative half of our brain. I like the idea of seeing pictures to remind us. I'll work on ideas for that.

rubidoux - Sewing must be about the greatest skill there is to help with weight loss. So many oversized clothes could be worn a bit longer with dignity with a nip or tuck. Kudos for the courage to envision making yourself another whole wardrobe. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
Why is eating slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite, so effective? I would like you to do the following experiment to see for yourself. Go to the kitchen and get something you like to eat. Cut or separate the food into two equal portions. Then do the following:
  1. Eat one portion as quickly as you can, while standing up, as you focus your attention elsewhere.
  2. Eat the other portion sitting down, as slowly as possible, with no distractions. Take small bites. Notice the flavor and texture. Chew each bite thoroughly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 61.

SuperChick 08-01-2011 05:51 AM

tip toe-ing into One-derland!

Morning Coaches, a very busy Monday here – things are crazy at work so I don’t really have time to catch up with personals; I’ll try to do that later…

Credits: weighed in: -2.2lbs this week! May be in part due to the new scales but I’ll take it :D I’ll be sticking with these scales from now on anyway. Up early for a workout, planned meals for today, read ARC. A busy weekend also but plenty of good whole foods and exercise (and a fair amount of house cleaning :lol3:)

I’ve hit my second 5lb target – I just need to find another non-food treat… shouldn’t be too difficult :lol: also just tiptoed my way into onederland… :cb:

SuperChick 08-01-2011 09:37 AM

Back again, this it's personal! Ha Ha!

BBE – yes for fast food that doesn’t involve all the usual nasties :) ‘life is good’ amen to that! Kudos for leaving some food on your plate – I’m eating out tomorrow night so I will get to test this skill again – you are right, it is not an easy one.

Woodland – ha ha, I was thinking just today about trying on some of my old clothes…

Debbie – good work on staring down the spoon! Also, sane eating in the face of emotional distress…

Onebyone – any luck selling any paintings? GJ on making new connections. Ouch for the computer thing…

Alana – ouch for going slightly off-plan, yea for the return of the children. Perhaps you just need to schedule some ‘me’ time even if they are there? You’re worth it (to quote a famous cosmetics ad!) ;)

Pam – I think it’s totally what works for you – I couldn’t survive on one meal and one snack, I’m more of a little and often person… I’m sorry to hear you do not like the water so much; I absolutely love it, I cannot imagine not being near it. Did you say you had to be revived? That is very scary and big credit for even thinking about swimming lessons.

Maryann – go on, get in the water! You’ll be so chuffed when you realise you can still do it :) even if it’s just for a little splash around, I’m not saying jump into the 10 foot waves or anything! To be honest, I am a rubbish body surfer, I just end up floundering around in the shore break flapping my arms around! :lol3:

Shepherdess 08-01-2011 11:09 AM

I didn’t have a plan yesterday. Food wasn’t terrible, but wasn’t great. DH was around, so I had some reinforcements. I took the opportunity to clean my house—counting that as exercise for the day. So I’m feeling better about my living environment.

Nights with lots of screaming was starting to become a trend. DH and I brainstormed and came up with an idea. It worked beautifully last night—there was no wailing from anyone in the house. I’m crossing my fingers that we’ve come up with a solution.

gardenerjoy 08-01-2011 12:29 PM

CREDIT for weighing myself on the first of the month even though I knew it meant moving the ticker up. OH WELL on that and on missing my exercise goal for July. It's a new day and a new month and I have renewed commitment and some new ideas.

I realized that I'm not eating enough veggies. Which feels like a rookie mistake. But I know how it happened. This is our 4th year of getting a CSA box as well as having a small garden. The first two years, we had a hard time getting through all those veggies -- it seemed like an overwhelming amount. So, I still have it in my head that I don't need to buy veggies during the peak gardening months. But I eat a lot more veggies, now, and the fact is, I need to supplement if we're going to eat as many veggies as I need to keep my weight where I want. Time to start shopping at the Farmers Markets!

WI: +0.45 kgs, Exercise: +0 1100/1300 minutes and 30/33 miles on treadmill for July, Food: 60%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: yay for applying the experimental approach to life to baby-rearing -- here's hoping to more peaceful nights!

SuperChick: *whispering* welcome to Onederland!

BillBlueEyes: cool about fast Thai food. Good for you for your gym commitment this week.

Welcome, rubidoux!

woodland: a visual thing that has really helped for me is to pay attention to the colors of vegetables and fruits. I sometimes set goals like "eat 5 different colors of vegetables and fruits a day" and when that gets easy I change it to "eat 5 different colors of vegetables and fruits before supper." I call this game "Eat the Rainbow."

maryann: zucchini and ziti sounds wonderful!

Lexxiss: I know exactly this experience: "then gave a big stare at the spatula after spooning my moms BD cake into the pan. After a long gaze...it went in the sink with the pan. *credit*" Yay for you!

Alana: good job and good luck working out what to do on "no cooking" night. We do carryouts from Whole Foods. I've also been working on easier cooking ideas so I don't get so fed up sometimes.

onebyone: hope your painting went well!

maryann 08-01-2011 01:38 PM

Coaches,
It is a celebration today. I have been following the Beck Program for exactly 1 year today. Happy Birthday to me!!! I can't believe the change in my life in one year. First and foremost - The peace around food compared with a life of struggle. Although I still must remain diligent everyday, I KNOW I am on a winning team with a plan that works. Before Beck, I could literally not stay on a diet ONE DAY. Not ONE DAY. With age 50 looming before me in the next few years and my weight creeping up every year, I was paralyzed with fear that I would be back over 200 hundred pounds . I felt like I was drowning with my hands tied behind my back. Although I am still not at goal, I have so many skills that are now for me automatic. Writing down food everyday. How did that happen? I could never do that before. Posting everyday with coaches, giving myself credit, eating much more protein that carbs and five servings of veggies a day. It is all a miracle for this binger/gutter food eater. And even beyond the peace I have had, I can't believe the weightloss and a brand new wardrobe.
Thank you to everyone. You are a big part of my success.
For Today: I made my monthly average of 30 mins a day exercise - two months straight now. I have packed all my food since DS is at strings/art camp and we have to commute an hour away. I will use time to finish more writing homework. It feels good to have already made everything I am going to eat today. I have decided to yet again go through pink book from day one which means I am not going to weigh myself everyday. I am starting to get mired down in daily fluctuations. I will weigh in next Monday.

BBE: There is no proper grammar in highbrow Lit anymore. You will fit right in. Just call it stream of consciousness.
Superchick: Congrats on breaking the 200 pound barrier. That is a BIG deal.
Shepardess: Hang in there. Be gentle with yourself. There is no more stressfull event than a crying baby.
gardenerjoy: I think you and I are twins. I am added four pounds to ticker and I am not eating enough veggies. It does just creep up on you. I am limiting grains to one meal a day for this week like in the old days. Hopefully I will see an improvement. Maintenance is tough!!!

rubidoux 08-01-2011 03:42 PM

[B]What a wonderful welcome, BBE! Thank you! :D I am from the Boston area (mostly Cambridge/Somerville) and dh, kids, and I just got back from visiting family there a little over a week ago. The day we left the bank thermometers were saying 106, though I guess it wasn't actually quite that high. I gained 6.8 pounds while were there. There's no good chinese food in San Diego, and in fact I've lived in quite a few different places in the US since leaving Boston, and nowhere has chinese as good as what you find there.

SuperChick, Congrats on that second five pounds. I'm sure it won't be difficult to find a non-food treat. My first pat-on-the-back gift to myself was a pair of shoes. Now I'm working on trying to give myself fewer treats, since I am always feeling like I deserve them. :dizzy:

Shepherdess, How old are the wailers in your house? I have had very few sleepless nights with my kiddos -- they only seem to want to torment me during my waking hours. :cool: But I so feel for anyone who sleep is interrupted! :hug:

Gardenerjoy, I bet your ticker will go right back down. I'm impressed that you move your ticker once a month. I'm a little obsessed, I'm afraid. And I never move it up! Maybe that is just too much honesty for me. :o Right now I think my ticker and my scale are on the same page.

Maryann, Wow! A year! As I'm getting started is nice to read the thoughts of someone looking back that way. I would be so happy to be saying the same in a year. Congratulations! :carrot:

I found you guys and first learned of the BDS when I was aimlessly wandering around the 3fatchicks forum the other day. I was just wondering what Beck was, and then it turned out that it might be just what I needed at this point in my journey as my initial enthusiasm might not be enough to get me over the hump of having done this for a while and having had to lose this same few pounds 3 or 4 times now. I ordered the book from amazon right away and I'm anxiously waiting for it. :)

I have gotten through days one and two so far. When I first saw the idea of the ARC, I wasn't sure, but now that I've written mine I think it will be a pretty powerful tool. I do feel, though, like it's kinda personal and I don't exactly want to share it with anyone I know IRL, even hubby. So, I wish I could write it in code or something, to be whipped out when I need it -- like sitting across from one of my skinny friends deciding what to order. I have made a copy to keep in my diabetes kit (in theory, I should always have it with me and I do go into it multiple times a day, so it will serve as my reminder) so if I do need it while I'm out, it's there.

Today is day 3 and, I think, the day when I'm going to have to SIT DOWN TO EAT. I think I can handle that, but not so sure if I'm gonna love not reading or being online. I only eat once a day and I think of it as the one time that's MINE (though I did change a poopy diaper in the middle of dinner last night, gah!). I do think I'll at least give it a shot, though. Your quote today, BBE, is timely (since I don't have the book yet). I'll really be thinking tonight about whether it feels different to sit and pay attention to my food/eating.

onebyone 08-01-2011 05:33 PM

the day after and the day before

Hi Coaches

It's 5:09pm and I am still in my nightie. Man this weekend wore me right out.

I did *credit* weigh in to see +1.1 = 283.3lbs. I looked at my weight graph and for the last two weeks of daily weigh-ins I have not been below 280. Not once. The last time I was below was 15 days ago. I have not managed to get below 278 either in the two months that I have spent focused on weightloss once more. I don't know what to do. Today I feel baffled. And I feel I am losing hope or the willingness to keep trying to figure this out. But I am also tired which makes me not think straight so tomorrow I'll be better with all this.

The Jazz Fest was a bust sales-wise with the exception of the two paintings I made on-site. In the last hour of the silent auction I had three bids on each so they came in at $5 above the minimum bid and I was grateful for it. I covered my costs plus was $25 to the good. A big success given the show I was in. What was great though were the connections I made. I think I have several new avenues open to me now including a place to pursure some poetry. I have thought of writing again. I used to write decades ago but visual art usurped it. So I just found out about a poetry group that meets to read their work every second Tuesday. It's organized by the neighbour I had at the show -- who seems to have her finger in every civic pie around there.

And this was my weekend and now I am resting as I head off to Ottawa tomorrow. I am there from Tuesday to Sunday. That's a long time. I'm planning to take some water aerobic classes at the Y, or if they don't have drop-in classes I'll go swimming there or at my alma mater which has a fantastic pool. This is what I want to do for myself while I am away.

So that's how things are. I'm NOT HAPPY with my weight at all. Meeting boatloads of people in the heat and humidity weighing 280+lbs was not fun for me. I had to fight feeling less-than every hour. It's great I believe in my artwork so much as I can sort of hide behind it. I wish I didn't feel I had to always prove I am ok inspite of my weight. There were several conversations around me about different weight reduction plans too. In one ear and out the other mostly but I was sensitive to the topic. Everyone, of course, looked so much healthier, prettier, stylish to me than I felt. BUT I know I should "never compare my insides to someone else's outsides". You can be thin and ill.

And the summer goes on.

rubidoux Welcome to the group. The Beck stuff sticks. I look forward to reading your posts as you go through the book.

Happy August Becksters :)

eusebius 08-01-2011 05:57 PM

Hi coaches - it has been a yo-yo few weeks. First came the meditation retreat which was lovely, but by the end I was exhausted and not eating well. Then a week to myself, which was up and down like a roller coaster, and a week with the in-laws, which was great for about 5 days before I crashed and burned.

I came out of all this with the realization that I need to change my way of eating. I have tried the Eat to Live vegan approach before and I know I feel great when I eat that way, so I am trying once again. I will still be applying Beck principles to this way of eating - I know they work. For example, right now I'm a bit hungry, but I want to wait an hour to eat with my family. Hunger is not an emergency!!

Looking forward to a great August with all of you.
cheers
Erika

pamatga 08-01-2011 06:06 PM

:welcome2: rubidoux to the 3FC Beck Diet Discussion Group!!

A Major :woohoo: and :congrat: to you, Superchick, in breaking the 200 lb line and dipping down into Onederland!! :carrot: :broc: :cb:

Gardenerjoy We love you here!! in case you didn't know. Your honesty is to be commended and applauded :cp: We have your back, sweetie! :grouphug:

Another milestone, Maryann, :congrat: on your 1 year anniversary following the Beck priniciples!! Yes, life does change when we change. So simple and yet so sublime.

Lexxiss the best way that I have learned to handle family is to accept them for who they are. For example, my sister, Paula, made a point of telling me she was going to send me my b-day card this year. I called on Friday to ask her if she got my address right since I hadn't seen it. She said, "Oh, you know me, I haven't sent it yet." (weak laugh on other end of phone) She did this the past two years and then reminded me that she hadn't sent it. Multiple times. I say this is P-A behavior. (passive aggressive). Why, I don't know! but to all of this I just said "Oh well".

BBE :congrat: on knowing and following through on "less is more".

onebyone Stop for a moment and think about in the past when you might have totally thrown in the towel and given up then binged for a week or so feeling even worse than you imagine you do now. You ARE moving forward with all of this. Yes, sleep deprivation sucks and it does mess with your ability to use cognitive skills effectively. You got through this past weekend. That is the main thing. Now, focus on that pool swimming. You deserve it!:hug:

eusebius Tomorrow is the Feast Day of St. Eusebius. He lived during the 4th century and brought monastic life to that corner of the Roman Empire. He was fine until he was driven out of town for his religious beliefs. Guess, the worm turned. OY! Anyway, I just came off of a three day weekend of "fun size" Snicker candy bars eaten until I almost puked. I craved chocolate and instead of saying "No Way" I said "Way". TG it gives me diarhea so I am up only a lb. Go figure???

Credit for myself:
*Did my strength weight exercises. Increased the reps (w heavier free weights) as this felt comfortable to do.
*Harvested my sweet potatoes this a.m. Cleaned out the garden in preparation for new organic soil and compost.(worked up a sweat--today was the only day where it was only 83 so it was a good day to pick to do this) Will begin seedlings in the next few days. Daniel, the Master Gardner, was present watering everything and we both came to the conclusion that this heatwave is here to stay for another month or two so why not grow more tomatoes? My sentiments exactly! Ignore the calendar date and go with the heat. It's suppose to be in the mid-90s here all this week. So, I might be able to say I have fresh from the garden ripe tomatoes in October. Who knew?
*Still in that "rewarding myself with food" mode after "accomplishing something. Poop! I suggested that we go to Wendy's afterwards. However, I realized once I sat down and began eating my grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato that I wasn't really very hungry in spite of smaller breakfast. I finished the sandwich(it would have been better if I would have brought the rest home with me) but it is now 7 hours later and dinner will be much smaller. I am going to try one of your suggestions (Alana?) and I added some pineapple, peach chipolte salsa to the couscous. Here's my opportunity to eat only until I am full which I think will be quicker than I can imagine. What makes me feel nervous is having yet another container of leftovers in the fridge. I am very adamant about not too many accumulating in there. This means I will be having couscous for breakfast tomorrow, which I am going to mix eggs in with. I have a TON of it! What was I thinking???:?:

SuperChick 08-02-2011 03:23 AM

Morning coaches, a bit early for me here – got up early to go surfing before work, but it was flat! So I am now at work 2 hours early! Oops. Oh well, I’ll just try to leave early. Hopefully I can use this quiet time before everyone arrives to be productive :lol:

Mainly OP yesterday, although I did have a bit of a slip up last night, ate a couple of extra squares of chocolate above my plan and I know it was because I was in a weird mood – even when I was eating it I couldn’t really taste it as much as usual, it was more trying to soothe myself I think… which I know is ridiculous and food cannot provide that for me, but it’s a big step for me to be able to recognise this – hopefully I’ll be able to remember this feeling next time! I’m not dwelling on it though, it wasn’t a major off-plan indulgence and I need to keep going. So, onwards and upwards, today is a new day and all. With my morning exercise plan scuppered (surfing) I still have my ride home but that’s only half an hour, so I might try to pop to the gym if I can finish early. Food is all planned for the day; although me and boyf are off out for a romantic meal tonight… not sure how it will go though as boyf got zero sleep last night so he wasn’t in the best mood this morning… I can only imagine how that will be exacerbated by 7 o’ clock tonight! I am going to work hard at the restaurant tonight not to 1. Overeat or 2. Drink too much. One glass of wine max.

BBE – credit for your renewed commitment to the gym. Is it too hot where you are to exercise outside? I read something that apparently you burn more calories exercising outside (I don’t know if this is the boredom factor or the fact you’re working out on uneven surfaces). P.S. are you a fluent Welsh speaker or did google lend you a hand? ;)

Shepherdess – intrigued by your idea – don’t keep us in suspense!

Gardenerjoy - *whispering back* thanks a lot – I hope I’m going to be a permanent fixture here…

Maryann – Happy Beckday! Massive credit for the commitment to Beck of a whole year – I would love to hear more of how it’s changed your life / way of eating. Well done!

Rubidoux
– I’m thinking of getting myself a food processor – it’s a bit indulgent for a 5lb treat but I really want one to make nut butters, houmous and veggie burgers with… it would definitely be well used! I found that I always sit down to eat main meals, but you’ll be so surprised how many times you accept a piece of food from someone else and eat it standing up, or eat in the car (technically sitting down but I don’t think it counts), or pass the fridge, or when you’re cooking dinner… it’s tougher than it sounds! Good luck :)

Onebyone – I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling ‘less than’. Remember to stay strong – we’re all here for you :hug: 1. If all the ‘thin, stylish’ people had to talk about was diets then that’s not so interesting, and 2. They may have been looking at you and thinking ‘wow, what a talented artist, I wish I could paint like her’ – I am inspired everyday by your creativity.

Erika – welcome back :wave:

Pam – thanks a lot :D – you have sweet potatoes growing? Ace! Love them. Not a breakfast suggestion but have you thought of having couscous stuffed peppers? Cut a pepper in half, grill the outside till the skin is blistered then fill with couscous (or a mix of couscous and veg) if you’re allowed a little cheese you could sprinkle this on top, then grill… yummy with salad and dead easy. Probably works with aubergine / courgette too if you scrape the flesh out… or with a roast sweet potato! Mix the flesh and the couscous together! Mmm, I think I’d better stop now, it’s only 8 in the morning here and I’m dreaming of couscous and SP! Ha ha, I get so excited about cooking sometimes :lol:

Everyone seems so positive at the moment, i'm loving it! it's definitely helping me stay on the right track :goodvibes

BillBlueEyes 08-02-2011 05:11 AM

Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Tension was high on our house make over as problems were created and had to be solved. Good news is that all problems have acceptable solutions - given that I've accepted that a tad of flexibility is required. I did, however, attempt to use my DW's trail mix to ease the tension. Ouch. And, to my great surprise, it didn't. All it did was make me want to have more trail mix. Otherwise on plan, CREDIT moi.

Exercise was running about solving problems - always running ahead of the sheriff, as it were. Last minute wiring changes had to be completed before the plasterer covered it all over. I got done by 9 pm last night and finally got my shower for the day. CREDIT moi for staying in the game.

onebyone - Congrats for selling your two wet paint paintings, with Kudos for carrying through with your weekend in the hot weather. Ouch that it's temporarily knocked the wind from your sails. You have a great track record for getting back into your grove again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Super Congrats for eating more veggies than your CSA and urban garden supply. At the farmers market, you might ask for "aubergine and courgette" as well to make the SuperChick recipes. That'll keep them on their toes.

Shepardess - Re: "no wailing from anyone in the house." OK. Got that. Just curious about how many wailers were silenced.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for the simple ideas that work, "Hunger is not an emergency!!" Kudos for tending to your need to adjust your food plan.

maryann - Happy First Year Beck Plan Anniversary! May they continue. And Kudos for "so many skills that are now for me automatic."

pamatga - Yay for a sweet potato harvest - you can put them in your cold cellar and have them all winter. Kudos for being aware of your Wendy's experience.

SuperChick - Congrats on that kilo lost - a solid drop into onderland. May you stay there forever. Hope the romantic dinner happens - or gets rescheduled until everyone has enough sleep to enjoy it. [Alas, google did the Welch translation. I have, however, been to Wales - what a beautiful and gracious place.]

rubidoux - Kudos for just charging forth. Yep, the ARC thing sounded like a bit much to me, also. Until I tried it. It took me months to continue to modify mine until they were pointed and meaningful to me. And thus highly personal. When I share them here in the Beck Forum, I redact the personal parts.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
Did you enjoy the second portion more? When you eat while distracted and fail to enjoy every bite, you may want to eat more after eating a reasonable portion, simply because you didn't notice what you were eating. In a study completed at the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom, one group ate in silence and focused intensely on the process of eating. When they finished their allotted portion, they lost their desire to have dessert. A second group ate while playing a video game. These participants reported a high desire to continue to eat - a full 10 minutes after finishing the same sized portion. Eating slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite, helps you cut down on the amount you eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 61-62.

SuperChick 08-02-2011 05:40 AM

ha ha i guess that should be eggplant and zucchini! :lol: