Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches and buddies...

Yesterday was a healthy delicious day. I stayed under 1400 calories and enjoyed plenty healthy and traditional food. I am grateful for the willingness to try. The meal time schedule got changed - but, I was able to go with it. After Easter Dinner - I didn't stay with my plan - but, kept track of my calories so I kept it at a healthy amount and not junk food. It actually feels better to stay with a plan sometimes rather than just being 'out there' in a world of food.

Today I have my yearly physical. It's at 9:30 am. So, by the time it's over, I've taken my synthroid medication and then wait an hour to eat - it's likely to be close to 11:00 am. But, unless my blood sugar happens to get low I think I'll manage because I am trying to tatoo on my brain that eating is not an emergency most of the time - that being really hungry won't hurt me every now and then. Thanks for the reminder, Dr. Beck.

read arc/rc
logged my food
tried to feel fullness
used rt last night
ate seated only
no seconds (this 'rule' was helpful at the big Easter dinner)
left a bite after meals and snacks
gave myself credit a few times during the day!

oops
switched plan around - but, kept track
ate too fast
didn't put fork down between bites
no exercise
didn't read beck book

bill - so glad you got your taxes done. I am almost there! Salmon eaten outside on a nice day is a wonderful way have a great day. The first meal outside is always special.

seadwaters - glad to see your post. Ya know, I agree with so much of what you said. At first I didn't really think that posting here every day and committing to be honest about how I am doing with food - I really didn't think it would make a difference. But, it does - at least for me. It's been helpful. Hope you are feeling well.

maryblu - it seems like your swing was so joyful...that's great. I totally agree about the Beck prinicples and what the folks at the maintainers forum do on a daily basis. They seem to have learned it in another fashion. Yes...having a choice - good, good point. Making the best choices are what all strive for.

ceejay - sometimes life and food 'happen'. Dr. B is right - it was an oops. Now just carry on. The good thing is that you didn't have alot 'junk' to eat around the kitchen. I think that's a credit.

kim - I think even a short post is better than no post! Enjoy your visit with your friend and Dad,

gardenjoy - hooray for having a plan b!!!! It made your change in plans result in having a healthy day. Food at 98% is awesome!

Thanks to all of you for being my coaches/beck buddies!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We stayed home yesterday. I followed my Plan B food plan and it went well. What I had more difficulty addressing was the emotional response that, in the past, would have led to binge-ing on Easter candy. The more that I'm not doing that sort of thing, the more I'm realizing that it wasn't entirely irrational behavior. It would have helped yesterday. With my lower back pain, I was afraid that I didn't have my new favorite response, exercise, available. But I decided to give walking a shot and I was able to make it to the park and back, about an hour, on a gorgeous day, which helped my mood considerably.

WI: -0.25kg (new low), Exercise: +80, 315/1800 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

bennyhannahmama: short posts are great! Glad things are going well, if busy.

CeeJay: glad you're getting back on track after a "not a stellar day."

maryblu: love that you played on a swing and all the insights from that!

seadwaters: thanks so much for this: have someone bear witness to my choices. That's exactly what is helping me so much here. I think it's an excellent choice to switch off the computer and practice leisure.

BillBlueEyes: sounds like a wonderful Easter with all the right elements! Good job!

BeverlyJoy: hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-05-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #33  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Just checking in--finally! Tracked food erratically, but did do some, so credit. Added more walks at lunch than I have in at least a year, so that's a credit too. I have all my gym clothes ready in order to go to Zumba today.

I need to get past my old sabotaging thought that if I fall into old habits that I am "ruined" and can't get back on track.

My doctor called, and for now I am on an iron supplement for anemia and in 6 weeks she will recheck my hemoglobin levels to see if the iron is helping.

I'm glad Easter is over. The Easter Baskets of my childhood imprinted strongly. . .I will plan to check in sooner this time.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday's progress

Dear Coaches

Well one of my choices last night was to make and eat French toast - I never eat French toast or sweets but having seen mention of it I dived right in (it was delicious BTW). I have also never made it before so that was a bit of a triumph really - but not in my best interests unfortunately. Sigh. Today has been somewhat better, and I have at least logged my food even though I didn't really make a plan

I have to say that I think a BIG hurdle for me is knowing what to prepare - I know diets make suggestions but I have trouble turning that into a meal even though there might even be menus. I know that sounds weird but I am a bit finicky about food and am a totally hopeless and uninterested cook. If I don't like it I won't eat it and then eat garbage if I am hungry. Over the weekend I made 3 dishes from recipes hoping to create things to put in the freezer - two of them I threw out knowing there was no point in freezing them as I wouldn't eat them. So credit that I made the effort but ... What I need is a list of simple edible meals that I can turn to regularly and easily. Now to create that list - unfortunately what I eat today may not be something I will touch tomorrow. Oh well - I just have to decide that what is on the list (when I create it) is IT and I have no choice but to eat it! Any help with things to put on the list appreciated

BillBlueEyes - Well done getting those taxes finished and out of your life. Nice to have your dinner al fresco! It is cooling down here at last. Thank heavens for little growing things

BeverlyJoy - Hope your physical went well and that the period of fasting was managable - yay for working on hunger is not an emergency. And thanks for reinforcing that this is an important place to be

Gardenerjoy - Great to see a new low especially during Easter - a really challenging time. And well done with a walk when you were in pain - I am not succeeding too well with the whole exercise thing as my body is not cooperating. And I take on board the positive effect it has on ones mood - need to work out something. Stretching maybe - or dancing - I watched Mama Mia the other night and it made me want to leap up and do something

Kim (bennyhannahmama) - it is great to see you posting when it is obviously difficult for you. You are helping me learn that there is nothing lame about a brief post and that when there is time like tonight I can do a fuller post. I love hearing from you in any circumstances. Hope you had a nice time with your NY friend and your dad

Nuxmaga - nice to see your post and I hope the iron supplement works its magic

CeeJay - Your French toast post is not to blame! but it sounded very seductive and I am obviously easily seduced. And here I thought I was a savoury girl

Credits:
  • Reading my advantage / response / anti-craving cards - once
  • Posted to list and read posts - Yep
  • Sat down to eat - Yes
  • Ate mindfully / slowly and enjoyed every bite - not really
  • Put fork down between bites - Nope
  • Spontaneous exercise - none
  • Weighed myself (if at home) - no - forgot
  • Did a daily schedule? - no
  • Recognised hunger / fullness / desire / craving - yes
  • Used distraction and resistance techniques? Not successfully
  • Gave myself credit when on track - Yes
Not so good:
  • Still no food plan or activity schedule
Working on:
  • What to eat and what is edible
Cheryl
Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had an evening meeting that tends to dawdle over a table of food. I dawdled in the food during the meeting - Ouch. This meeting happens monthly so I have plenty of time to plan. Just gotta get my act together to get a plate, serve it, and stop.

Squeezed in my trip to the gym; CREDIT moi. Enjoyed watching a small guy with a big upper body lifting some big weights - he caught me by surprise.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for continuing Zumba. Yep, those childhood imprinted memories want to be satisfied. It amazes me each year that I long for Easter candy, even though milk chocolate doesn't much appeal to me anymore since I've grown to love dark chocolate and all the other candies don't appeal to me in small servings - only in VAST quantities. Yet, it continues to appeal. Part of my strategy is to avoid seeing the stuff.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for having a Plan B to follow and then following it. And Yay for a walk on a sunny day. Wondering what you meant by "the more I'm realizing that it wasn't entirely irrational behavior."

Beverlyjoy - Hope your physical went well yesterday, and its forced period of not eating. Kudos for planning to use Hunger is not and emergency - it really isn't, but I still feel like it is when I experience it before I can think. I need to get my rational brain into the loop to remember that it's just a feeling that will go away in less than an hour. And Kudos for continuing with "left a bite after meals and snacks."

Cheers to Butler for getting to the final game. Can't fault Duke for winning when they play such good basketball, but it's so easy to want David to beat Goliath.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 23
Putting Fairness in Perspective

If the thought that dieting is unfair encourages you to eat, do the following:

Remind yourself why you decided to diet in the first place. Unless you're forced to be on a diet due to a medical reason, you've freely chosen to diet. You don't have to diet. You might not feel this way right at this moment, but not long ago you felt that the advantages were worth the hard work. At that time you felt that the disadvantages of not dieting were too severe. Read your Advantages Response Card again.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 184.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks - Yesterday was a healty food - I am grateful. I actually did not get to eat anything until almost noon. I think because of Dr. Beck - I was able to get through, feel some true hunger, & not 'freak out' because I hadn't eaten yet. I did, however, felt kind of sluggish for going without food for 14 hours. I survived!

Because of not eating until lunch time - it become brunch. I had to rearrange some of my planned food and add a couple things to get enough calories. I kept track of it all in my journal. It worked out well.

At my annual physical, my doctor noticed my wieght loss and was pleased. She thinks that some pain I am having is a hernia - we have to watch it and the pain level.

I talked alot my my foot surgery I will do this fall. - my concerns and fears. She didn't have any answers really about it that were very comforting. She did point out, however, I've done surgeries in the past and got through them. I am just freaked over the fact I won't be able to put any weight on my foot for three months, the havoc it will cause to my back changing my gait, I have trouble taking pain meds, it may be as long as nine months for my foot/ankle to really heal, and not being able to work for maybe that long - ugh to it all. I suppose if it was so, so painful I would have done it already. I've adjusted my life around this injury in order to avoid the surgery. I am managing - but, not really living. The whole thing really scares me - I guess I am not as brave as I used to be.

I am anxious to get my lab results because there should be a big improvement! I'll let you know.

lots of water
exercise
used resistance techniques
felt fullness - some of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time
left a bite - all of the time
no seconds, ate seated - all of the time
fork down between bites - some of the time
logged food

oops
forgot to read arc/rc
no spontaneous exercise
didn't read beck book

bill - glad you could get to the gym. Yes, meetings with tables of food are a pain to deal with. Like you said - next time you'll go in with a different plan - one plate full and stop. I really wanted David to beat Golliath - I was rooting for Butler to win It's fun to see a smaller school go so far. DH pointed out that Butler was ranked number 10 at the beginning of the season - which I didn't know. I love college sports.

seadwaters - big credits for trying to do some planning...escpecially because it's way out of your comfort zone. It's a shame you didn't like some of the things you prepared over the weekend. You are moving in such a good direction. Good idea to compose a list of some 'go to' meals!

nuxmaga - so glad you posted! Everyone is doing zumba - looks like so much fun. I am going to try it when my foot/ankle get fixed. I was anemic last year...the iron supplements really brought me back to feeling better. I think it's hard to toss out the notion of all or nothing. You can do it!

gardenerjoy - I am glad you had a plan b that helped you get through last Sunday. Gosh, I am sorry to hear your back is still so painful. I am glad that taking a walk was possible. It's one way to distance yourself from some food you might be thinking about. Credit - no easter basket eating!!! Yay - food 100% on plan.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-06-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

We’ve been having electrical problems these last few days. It’s a long story involving high winds, a house with ancient wiring and my FIL who is a do-it-yourselfer. He says he learned about electricity on this house, and let’s just say school is still in session. We are still in the midst of crazy spring weather. It’s snow in the morning and high winds all afternoon. You know the winds are bad when the Wyoming Highway Department is issuing high wind warnings. I’m also boycotting Weather.com because they had been forecasting this weather to last through Monday, but over the weekend, they forecasted snow and rain on Tuesday and then yesterday, it was looking like more on Wednesday. I only agreed to 5 days of miserable weather so until they can forecast something good, I’m in protest. I have no right to complain, since this has been a fairly mild spring so far, but I’m still going to complain. However, there is one bright spot. I was walking by my flower beds and I noticed my daffodil and crocus leaves are starting to come up. That made my day.

Exercise has been lots of yoga. I keep having the thought that weight lifting or jump roping would be better calorie burners, but I’m already cranky about all this weather and yoga is soothing. The best exercise is the one I will do. The yoga has also been helpful in keeping me from eating mindlessly all day, although there was a bit of stray Easter candy that made it in my mouth yesterday. I know better than to leave it in plain sight and it is tucked away now. I also managed to sneak in a run yesterday. After a bout of freezing rain passed through in the afternoon, it cleared up and was sunny. I dropped everything and put on my running clothes. Unfortunately, once I got out, the wind was up and the sky was looking threatening. But I was stubborn and ran anyways—that’s what the rain coat is for. Luckily, even though it was windy and I could see some nasty storms in every direction, I only got sprinkled on. It felt great to get outside.

Bennyhannamamma, hope you feel better soon. Kudos for checking in and staying on track.

BillBE, I was enjoying your stories about gardening and putting your patio furniture out. There is nothing like sitting outside in the sun enjoying a meal! I just have to remember that summer is just around the corner.

Gardenerjoy, ouch for hurting your back on your recovery day. Wishing you a quick recovery. The walk in wonderful weather sounds like a perfect mood-lifter.

Beverlyjoy, I’m so impressed by your ability to remember that hunger is not an emergency. Surgery is always a scary thing. Recovery is tough and there are always risks, but it sounds like your foot pain is getting in the way of so many things you want to be doing. Once you recover from the surgery, you can begin to actually do them. Sending comforting thoughts while you make this difficult decision.

Hikegirl, a Utah bike trip sounds like so much fun and what great motivation to get in long bike workouts. Best of luck with 5 days of travel ahead of you.

Seadwaters, it sounds like you do have some big planning challenges. Have you ever tried making a plan and saying “NO CHOICE” just for a few days to see what that would do? I was thinking that eating planned foods might begin to change your tastes, but it’s just a thought. I’m not sure how it would actually work out.

Nuxmaga, it’s good to see you back here. Getting over that “all or nothing” mentality is difficult. I think that’s why the credits are so important. Remembering the little things we do well, like tracking your food and getting to Zumba, gives us confidence and puts the other mistakes in perspective.

Maryblu, your swing story is so inspiring. Huge credit to you for doing all the hard work to change a lifetime of habits. You’re right that being thin is way too cool and we all deserve it!

Waving to anyone else I missed. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #38  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

I know I have been appearing and disappearing seemingly at random lately. I hope to change this and start posting daily again. This year has been so crazy, but I will emerge victorious over the yeti!

Yesterday I managed to get up early, and exercise first thing in the morning. I did it again today and I am determined to make this a daily habit. I'm back to counting WW points again and today is Day 2. Am reading the pink book daily and reminding myself of all the behaviours I need to succeed.

Thanks for being there for me even when I haven't been here for all of you ... that is changing now!

cheers
Erika
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #39  
Green Tomatoes

Two new lows in two days. And, I'm well below my plateau weight, so hopefully that's behind me for good now.

WI: -0.25kg (new low), Exercise: +15, 330/1800 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Nuxmaga: great to see you! Good job of identifying the sabotaging thought about falling into old habits = ruined. So not true.

seadwaters: I can't follow diets that have planned menus because they are never what I would plan. And, some of them are just stupid. Half of an English muffin for breakfast? And no where in the week's menu is the other half?! Anyway, for simple meals, I go with salads or veggies and dip, sandwiches or simply a spread on toast, whole fruit or juice, and yogurt. It's pretty easy to get all the nutrients you need with just those items and, yet, there's still room for lots of variation.

BillBlueEyes: I'm realizing that there were real needs that overeating filled for me. So, it wasn't irrational that I filled them in that way. It's helpful to realize that I wasn't just being stupid and it's helpful to identify those needs since they can be the root of sabotaging thoughts. This is going hand in hand with some other thoughts of realizing how hard this really is and being less judgemental about people in my life who choose not to take this journey.

Beverlyjoy: so glad that your physical went well and that you were able to air some of your fears with your doctor. I think you're very brave to be putting up with the pain that you have now and still living the life you want as much as you can, complete with travel! And I'm confident that you will do the surgery when the time is right for you.

Shepherdess: Love this: "The best exercise is the one I will do." Lots of yoga and a bit of running sounds like a great way to deal with your capricious weather.

eusebius: glad to have you back! It sounds like you're making real progress.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #40  

Hi, can I join you? I'm in the process of reading the Beck diet solution book, and, I think this is something I could really benefit from, being all ready familiar with cognitive therapy. I'm 37, and was recently diagnosed bipolar, and put on meds. I feel better emotionally, but I've gained weight on these drugs, what a trade off, anyway, the meds change your metabolim, and make your body hold on to weight. I'm losing, but painfully slowly. I know to lose consistantly and a little faster, I need to really watch portion sizes, and exercise five or six days a week instead of the three I'm doing now. My goal is to lose 20 pounds. I'm proud that I'm in pretty good shape, even though I'm heavier than I'd like to be. Any tips for a newbee would be appreciated. Nice to meet you all.
Amie
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #41  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Things got tougher the past couple of days. Difficult having a visitor so long, got out of routine. Just dropped dad at the airport and got kids to bed. In bed myself right now (posting from my Blackberry). Read everyone's posts while I was at work today; that was helpful. Busy day at work tomorrow and then running group at night. Looking forward to getting myself back on track and catching up more with all of you soon. G'nite.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

maryblu- getting on the swing must have been a sweet moment. Thank you for what you wrote about getting control of life and just doing the program. I needed that today.

seadwaters-sorry for my french toast seduction. BTW that is my first successful seduction with bread. LOL. I know what you mean about trying to find things to eat. I like to cook when I have time but don't always have time after work. I get bored easily but when making anything but plain food it is harder to figure out the calories. I pretty much eat the same thing everyday except dinner. Breakfast- egg whites, Snack- yogurt and berries, Lunch- salad and soup or sandwich, Snack- raw veggies. Dinner is a variety and bedtime snack varies too. What kind of things do you like to eat?

BillBlueEyes-how nice to eat out on the patio. Isn't planting great? Seems I thought you were planting in the outside garden. DUH. Freezing the chard is a bit of a pain as it takes a lot of chard to make each little bag. I remove the stalk up the middle-- just rip off the green part and boil that for 2 minutes and let drip. When it cools, I squeeze out the water before putting in freezer bags.

Beverlyjoy- yippee for a healthy day that was delicious too. And isn't it nice to be talking to the doctor about weight loss instead of weight gain. YAY. Sorry about the foot surgery- it does not sound easy at all but you just have to keep thinking that in the end it will be worth it.

gardenerjoy-congratulations for your new low. Your thoughts that the binging does have a purpose is very true. Recognizing that in myself is helping me. Why am I feeling this way? What was binging going to cover up or smooth over? What do I do instead? Questions like that help me to figure this all out.

Nuxmaga- good to see you here. Forget the sabotaging thoughts. We just say oh well and start again.

Shepherdess-hope your weather improves. Sound miserable. Credit for resisting easter candy and for running despite the weather.

eusebius- hi to you. Good for you for exercising and following a plan.

jazzmegirl- welcome!!! Reading and posting here is a pretty much daily occurance for me and keeps me honest with myself. We all help each other. There are many wise people here who have helped me get this far (farther than I have ever gotten- thank you coaches).

For me- I have been struggling the last 2 days. Have exercised and have had an eating plan but have done a lot of spontaneous unplanned eating. Trying to figure out what is going on for me. Trying to say oh well and move forward. Trying to say that I am not perfect and that this is how life goes. But I need to stop now. Here is my plan- go do the dishes and do not enter kitchen again until tomorrow morning, go to bed early, bring my resistance cards to the city with me tomorrow and read if I am starting to have thoughts of eating off plan. Wish me luck coaches. You know the challenge the city is for me.

Credit today for:

Weighing in
Walking 30 minutes in the sun at lunch hour
Eating a healthy breakfast lunch and dinner
Reading advantage and response cards
Posting here

Have a good night!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Just a quick reply to CeeJay, and a welcome to jazzmegirl.

CeeJay, don't know if you have read the Oz/ Roisen books..I have them all, thanks to DS..You On A Diet recommends that you eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch each day and only vary up dinner. "Automate" they call it. I think their point is not only do you have a plan, but it takes the focus/decision making off food for at least 2 meals. Sounds sensible to me, and the maintainers do it.

jazzmegirl, I look forward to your presence here. CBT was first developed to treat depression, so I hope that using Beck for wt. helps you all around. I know there are many here who would testify to that..many. We even got a decluttering thang goin' on here...speaking of which, I need to be disciplined and post *there, but I still got it goin' on!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #44  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I walked at lunch in spite of a sweltering 80 degree heat wave, credit, and took another long walk with dh after dinner, credit. Tracked food, credit. It's nice to be back and see how everyone is doing. Hope to do personals soon.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

bennyhannahmama- we must have been posting at the same time. Sorry for the tough few days. Hope things are back on track tomorrow for both of us.

maryblu- have not read the Oz/Roisen books. Are they worth getting? I decided to do the same breakfast, lunch and day snacks through trial and error. For me, it takes the decision away for most of the meal planning and I only need to worry about dinner. I know that I have to make the next day's lunch every night and just do it. Then there is no decision to make in the morning and no restaurant eating at lunch. I also find that it fills me up with very healthy food so I get lots of veggies and fruit before dinner. The two snacks and eating dinner before 6:00 ensures that I am not hungry. Although I know hunger is not an emergency, for me it is still a trigger for overeating and I just don't need to deal with that on top of everything else.

Now if I could just go to bed right after dinner, I could skip all that night-time eating struggle.
Closed Thread