Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #16  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Friday April 2nd

Coaches/Buddies:
Doing really well but I need to go get some sleep; especially since I have a sore throat

Hope to catch up more soon and that all of you are doing well.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The cruelties of fate. Walked to the gym as usual (CREDIT moi) and was just getting started when the fire alarm made us all leave. Waited out the coming and going of two fire trucks (since I like fire trucks and enjoyed a mother letting her two year old touch the different parts). One guy had been smart enough to walk out with an exercise ball and was doing crunches on the sidewalk to cheers from the rest of us. One guy had taken the alarm seriously and walked out in swimsuit and goggles and was shivering in the chilly air. Went back in and proceeded with my d*rn lunges. Then the fire alarm again. So I grabbed my clothes from my locker and went home. Too bad. Can't think of a point to this story.

Was without a lunch idea so I microwaved that frozen Lean Cuisine thing in the office freezer. The flavor was labeled "Salmon with Basil". It met all my negative expectations. So I added a can of sardines from my secret stash in my office and made it a meal anyway. Noticed afterward that it had been 11 months past the "best used by date" - since I'm typing I guess that was OK. My standard 1.9 liter container of raw veggies was real lunch as usual; CREDIT moi for preparing those. And CREDIT moi for eating too many strawberries as I attack my 4 pound container.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Waving back. Emailing some chicken soup to take care of your sore throat.

Susan (hikergirl) - Good grief, almost two hours of exercise. Kudos for stretching the body. Thanks for the tip to freeze the excess strawberries; hadn't thought of sucking on them semi-frozen.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for two hours of exercise!!! And Kudos for confronting your caloric intake. Good luck finding the right level for yourself.

CeeJay - Early morning walk - that's the good life. Might just try a few strawberries in my salad.

Shepherdess - Ouch for snow when you've already tasted running in the sunshine. Strawberries can just jump into the shopping cart on their own, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for planning your Easter dinner so carefully. Drooling here for those pickled beets and eggs. Neat to pull out your wilted lettuce before the dressing.

Yep, I do know the Yiddish oy vey - how horrible, and have heard l'chiam - to life, but hadn't seen it written before.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 23
Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Gloria is at work. Her coworkers are eating Girl Scout cookies. She thinks, It's not fair that I can't eat what everyone else is eating, and gives in and eats the cookies.

What Gloria doesn't realize is that while it might not seem fair that her coworkers can eat cookies while she can't, it's even less fair that eating the cookies is going to affect her mood and strengthen her giving-in muscle. Even if she doesn't care at the moment, she's going to care very much in a few minutes.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 184.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-04-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: lic-hiam to l'chiam
Old 04-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck buddies, coaches, friends..

Yesterday was a healthy on plan day...I am grateful. I am aiming to include more vegetables in my daily plan and I accomplished this. YAY I tried to write down a few credits as the day went on. Lately, I've been under my calories at the end of the day and have had to make good choices to fill in. I am willing to be careful with this.

I sat in my lazyboy much of the day...doing work on my taxes and got through alot.

I have not been doing much exercise since coming home. Because I have a limitation of weight baring exercise (foot & ankle injury) there's alot I can't do. But, I can do my stretches and strengthening exercises and some hand weights. I never do spontaneous exercise - but, I was thinking that I could go up and down the stairs two times when I need to go to the basement. (we live in a ranch) I don't think it will bother my foot...at least I'll give it a try. Sometimes the recumbent bike bothers my foot - and dh left the seat at his spot - I can't move it. He was out of town. I'll have him move the seat back for a shorty.

Tonight I am cheering on the MSU Spartans at the Final Four. (been connected to East Lansing over thirty years)

credits
more veggies
planned and logged meals/food
felt fullness - some of the time
ate seated - all of the time
fork down - most of the time
no seconds - all of the time
left a bite of food - most of the time
read arc/rc one time
used resistence techniques when wanting to eat over my calories last night
tasted the food - most of the time

oops
no exercise
no spontaneous exercise
no beck book - I really need to move on with this.

bill - too bad about all the gym interruptions. It just breaks up the rhythm of the whole thing. - frustrating. I eat frozen dinners once in a while & I find the very worst ones are the ones with any fish. There are some good ones. I am so impressed hearing about your stash of raw veggies!f btw - I spelled l'chiam wrong. There are many spellings....but, the one I posted yesterday was not one of them.

kim - glad you posted - hope you feel better. Gargling with warm salt water can help. Is your dad still visiting.

ceejay - I love having a fire - just smells so good. Good job on your exercise and eating slowly and mindfully. It reminds me that it can be done!

hikergirl - one for one = CREDIT. Good job on all your exercises.

gardenerjoy - I am so glad your first day with DASH went well. It's always a process learning and living with a different food plan. Carry on!

shepardess - snow again...your spring weather was a tease. Darn. Glad you got your yoga in and checked on the animals. Credits for getting the tasks done you don't like.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-03-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I substituted ice cream for yogurt on my plan. At least it was dairy. But it reminded me that I made frozen yogurt last summer and hardly ate any ice cream. So, there's no reason that I can't start that early this season. Especially since the DASH diet wants two servings of dairy a day.

I hurt my back working in the yard yesterday. And I'm very frustrated. I worked so hard all winter to prevent that sort of thing. But, then, I got into exercise for it's own sake and I've been overdoing it. So, yesterday, I went into the yard on what should have been a recovery day and hurt myself, just as if I hadn't been getting myself in better shape. Well, I'm hoping the increased strength and flexibility will give me a quick recovery time.

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +60, 180/1800 minutes for April, Food: %85op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

hikergirl: those are some great stats to start off April!

CeeJay: sounds like productive work on your trail and a good rainy day to follow. Yay for all of your credits!

bennyhannahmama: yay for getting your post done and for "doing really well."

BillBlueEyes: I had a fire alarm go off at the gym once and was very grateful that it hadn't happened five minutes later when I would have been in a swimsuit in the hot tub. It was a very cold day and the lifeguards were wrapping towels around the wet people who evacuated.

Beverlyjoy: good job with that long list of credits and with working out what's going to help you do exercise with your current challenges.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #20  

Height: 5'6"

Ceejay, I hope that you have a wonderful day. It reads as if you are already on your way to one fine day.

Bennyhan---great to see your post. Good Luck with your sore throat.

BBE - past due date salmon...glad and surprised that your were able to post.

Beverleyjoy -- good for you for exercising within your limitations and for exercising.
Gardenerjoy -- good luck with your back. A few weeks ago I spent about 3 hours working very hard in my community garden plot...the end result to my body was that my hamstrings pained me for 5 days. In this instance you have irritated your back...potential to be much more serious if not managed. Good Luck.

FYI - my major cardio workout yesterday morning that a few of you have referenced....I am trying to get some endurance and cardio up for a major mountain biking trip to Utah in less than three weeks. I generally do not aim for 90+ min of cardio per day in a gym...I am just trying to get in a long cycle in a few times per week. Today is a recovery day for me. On another topic I am going to say that yesterday was a day without compulsive overeating but I must admit that I went out to a french restaurant for dinner and ate every butter laden item (appie thru dessert) and I did a fair bit of the bread basket. For me this fit the situation (alas, I do not wish to deny myself anything in this situation) and the good news is that when I arrived home, and when I got up this morning I did not continue with the eating (although it could be argued that I overate compulsively at dinner)

April 3
Weight 159 - yikes
Exercise month to date -- 85 minutes of cardio, 30 min of strength or stretching
Days without compulsive overeating - 2 of 2
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #21  
I deserve to feel good!

I just read all the posts-- thinking about all of you. Sore throat is still hanging around, but had a great day with my dad and the kids. Tomorrow should be less hectic so I hope to post some more and do more Beck work. I'm doing well though
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #22  

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,

It is Saturday night. Tomorrow morning early I leave for 5 days of travel. Will most definitely post again on Friday and may post in between.

Bye for now
Susan
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Easter Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Chard and Kale seeds went in the ground, CREDIT moi, 1/2 inch deep. The 2010 seeds were spaced about an inch apart and the leftover 2009 seeds were spaced closer because DW believes they are less robust. Lettuce seeds went in 1/4 inch deep as measured by my eyeball. Those tiny, tiny seeds have to produce their own energy to get to the surface to raise two starter green leaves to get some sun so their chlorophyll can make some ATP to fuel growing up. All of which will happen without my controlling it. Just WOW for the whole process from a humbled novice. Two giant (4 foot) Kale plants remained from last year and had to be removed; they were still alive, which just amazes me. All this stuff is just known to DW from years of gardening. Not much exercise to gardening except that all muscles get sore from doing not much exercise, which I can't explain.

A late decision to serve salmon for Easter dinner sent me to a new fish monger - a small store fish monger with a Japanese/Portuguese clientele. The old man showed me the whole salmon - on ice in the window of the store - and told me where it was caught and how. I got my fillet and then bought two salmon "collars" - the part of the fish where it's shirt collar would be if it wore a shirt - for a good price. Will grill these for lunches next week. My eating was on-plan with my beloved peanut butter and banana sandwich with toasted pecans eaten outside on the patio in the sunshine, CREDIT moi, on the patio furniture that I'd just hauled out from the basement.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Good times with family are the best. Hope the sore throat recognizes that it's overstayed its welcome and leaves.

Susan (hikergirl) - Kudos for two days out of two with on-plan eating. Ouch for the attack of the French Restaurant; they do that. Can't wait to hear about your Utah biking trip. Have a good five days on this current trip.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sounds like DASH and you are working it out - Kudos for that. Ouch for your gardening injury; may it heal in time for you to finish planting your Spring crops. This gardening appears to be strenuous business. We now have to start our tomatoes indoors under the grow lights.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for your Spartans coming so close last night to whatever-their-name-is basketball team right out of the old movie, The Hoosiers. Yay for more veggies. Seems that guys always get complaints for leaving the seat in the wrong position, LOL. Good luck with your careful planning. And thanks for the Yiddish spelling correction. I googled a bit and did see a whole bunch of different spellings, as you suggested.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 23

Many dieters give themselves permission to eat when confronted with issues of fairness. You might be one of them. We've all grown up with the idea that life should be fair - but life isn't fair. It isn't fair that some people have to struggle with their weight. It isn't fair that some people (due to economic conditions) go hungry every day. It isn't fair that some people die young. Life isn't fair. Dieting isn't fair.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks - A Happy Easter to folks that celebrate this day.

Yesterday was healthy - I am grateful for that.

I ate my extra veggies and really tried to follow my bites of food down to my tummy. I find I can actually feel the food there and get a sense of fullness. I made a new response card and read part of the Beck book. And .... got a HUGE chunk of the taxes done. I can finish it up easily on Monday. YAY

Dh came home from the grocery with plastic eggs, small foil wrapped chocolate eggs, gum and change. He wanted to fill the eggs and put them around the yard of our little neighbors. (the ones with the peanut party, my bd cake and lots of hugs, etc) At first I was angry - because I wanted an Easter Candy free zone. DH filled and hid the eggs. The children came home from visiting their grandparents, found the eggs (we watched from the window) and ran over to tell us the the Easter Bunny came to their house and hid eggs. I ate one piece of chocolate and counted it in as 50 calories. Thank goodness it's not dark chocolate.

Since we are eating our dinner at 2:30 - I have planned my day in this order:
breakfast
snack
dinner
snack
snack

credits
ate seated, no seconds - all the time
fork down between bites - most of the time
stretches and strengthening
slow mindful eating - most of the time
gave myself credits during the day
left a bite - all of the time
read rc/arc
read beck book and made a new rc
planned and wrote down food

oops
no spontaneous exercise
unplanned chooclate

bill - your salmon sound wonderful - gosh even knowing where and when it was caught. Sounds so fresh! I love planting the garden too. Nothing better than veggies from the garden! Gardening is great exercise. Your sandwich sounds devine. Good for enjoying the outside.
It was a good an exciting bball game. As long as the Spartans have lost (boo hoo)...I'd like Butler to beat Duke.

sue - have a safe trip!

kim - so sorry the sore throat is hanging on. You take care now.

gardenerjoy - so so sorry to hear of your back injury while gardening. There's a fine line between just enough and too much gardening when spring comes and we use those particular muscles. I hope your are feeling better very soon! I love ice cream too - lately I have been putting cups of yogurt and sf pudding or mousse in the freezer for that ice cream effect.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-04-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #25  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

I have two food plans for today. We're supposed to go out to the country for a family Easter dinner. I know just enough of what's showing up at the potluck to plan it into my DASH diet. But DH isn't feeling well so we may skip the whole thing. Plan B is for what I'll eat if we stay home. In the past, a change of plans like that, especially on a holiday, would throw me for a loop and I would feel entirely justified tracking down and consuming large amounts of Easter candy to compensate. Having a Plan B will save me from that fate.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +55, 235/1800 minutes for April, Food: 98%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

hikergirl: thanks for sharing info about your gardening injury. My back problems are in the muscles, so likely no more serious than your hamstring problems. It's doing better today so I'm hopeful for a good recovery this week. Have a great trip!

bennyhannahmama: hope you sore throat continues to improve. Glad you are doing well!

BillBlueEyes: yay for planting greens! DH laughed last year when I planted greens seeds for the first time and used a ruler to make sure that I was following the directions as precisely as possible! I'd love to get some spring greens going, but the bed needs to be tilled so we're waiting for it to dry out. It's been raining about every 4 days so just when it looks like it will be dry enough, it get wets again. I did start some eggplant seeds indoors on Friday. I'll probably start some tomato seeds today or tomorrow.

Beverlyjoy: sounds like you are coping with holiday events well -- yay for all of those credits!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #26  
I deserve to feel good!

Feeling really lame with all my short posts, but at least I'm posting! Things are still good, but busy. Dad still visiting, childhood friend coming in from NY tomorrow, just for one night. So, it will probably still be a bit until I write a decent post.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone!! Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

hikergirl- hope your trip is wonderful!!!

BillBlueEyes- how fantastic to be out planting seeds in your garden. We can't plant until mid May so I am jealous of you more southerly gardeners. Love swiss chard. I freeze little bags of it and add it to soups all winter. I made a casserole tonight with onion, garlic, frozen swiss chard, a little Cheddar, eggs and yogurt, all mixed up and baked for half hour. Yum.

Beverlyjoy- love your story about DH hiding the eggs for the neighbourhood kids. Credit to you for eating only one piece of chocolate.

gardenerjoy- hope plan A or B went well for you. And hope your back is getting better.

bennyhannahmama- short posts are just fine. Glad things are still good for you!!

For me, yesterday was not a stellar day. I was just hungry all day--don't know why- and was picking at this and that. I then gave up after after dinner and did not practice any resistance. Because there is very little junky foods in the house, I made french toast with syrup (at least it was whole wheat bread and no sugar syrup)- and ate 4 slices of bread. Yikes. Today was fine. Saying oh well....

Credit today for:

weighing in
riding exercise bike 35 minutes
doing weights
reading advantage and response cards
posting here
eating slowly and mindfully
eating on plan and planned tomorrow

Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 'Lo, Beckies

Quick little check-in, lest y'all forget me.

Happy to see a quick hello from wndranne; glad you said hi.

A little NSV to share...for the first time in 30+years today I got on a playground swing. As part of our Easter, my (sadly) small family gathering ended up in a nice city park after dinner. My sis wanted to go and swing, so we did. As we both pumped enough to make the swing set jump, it was very, very clear to me the memory of the last time I was on such a swing. I was a senior in high school and we were on a break between finals. I got on a swing and broke it. My school was very small, and it was widely known throughout the school. At that time I weighed ~180. Now at ~130, I felt pretty sure I would not break the swing. Moral of the story:

It is *never too late to get control of your life, your weight, your life...your life...your weight...your life.. Getting control of your life, getting *thin is way too cool..it is way too cool a thing to deny yourself. As I read the maintainers, they are all doing the Beck program..they learned it on their own. The good news is, we don't have to reinvent the wheel..we just need to choose to do it. Beck lays it all out..we just need to do it. I am so struck by the times I *deliberately *don't do Beck..at this point, I *know if I am deliberately *not *doing Beck! That is a choice. D*** it...we all can choose...we can choose to *do the *blinking Beck program. We can.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Lost weekend

Hi Coaches
I have been a bit out of it this weekend and have been switching off the computer really early - because if I don't I end up doing some work. Not that good with leisure time!

I have been eating sensibly but still haven't developed a plan yet - in hold mode still. I saw Maryblu's post and it inspired me thanks - I do have a choice - about how I eat and how I spend my time on leave. I just need to exercise that choice and not let it all just happen. One of those choices will be to stay away from my desk a bit, but to try and post daily and not "feel ... lame" about it because I need to read what you have to say and have someone bear witness to my choices. And I will work on a meal plan tomorrow

Working on - hanging in there

Cheryl
Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - 'Twas a wonderful Easter day. Finished my DD's taxes using Turbotax and filed her IRS forms electronically (I pay someone to do mine, and they're all done now). That was fun. We had our salmon - first dinner of the year outside on the patio, our equivalent of "ice out," LOL.

DW, DD, and I planted the seeds in little pots that will live under grow lights for a spell: lettuce, tomatoes, basil, and a bunch of others. It was fun. DW has a GIANT box of tongue depressors to use as labels so we know what we did. I continue to marvel that seeds know what to do all by themselves. CREDIT moi for a good, fun day.

And the Red Sox came back from a deficit against the Yankees to win our Opening Day to cap off the day.

maryblu - Yay for swinging, and Kudos for facing the 30 year old memory of your last time on a swing. I feel invigorated by your reflections on using Beck; I particularly like your notion that all the maintainers on 3FC are using Beck - they just made it up themselves. I like that because it reminds me that Beck isn't magic; almost everything she writes has been written somewhere, piecewise, before. It's credible stuff because it's been tried and found to work. Yep, she just puts it all together in a way that makes sense as a whole.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving, with my annual reminder that today begins Easter Candy sales so you have to set up the barricades, LOL.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yay that you and your visiting Dad are still enjoying each other.

CeeJay - Your casserole using your own garden's frozen swiss chard sounds divine. I'll have to freeze some this year. Last year we left much on the stalk as it produced far more than we could consume.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for making plans in advance for your potluck. Your experience that it's the unplanned events that can throw you off stride matches mine; I can revert all the way back to before my journey and think pig-out if I face a banquet filed table without a mental plan.

Beverlyjoy - Feeling food all the way to the tummy is a new idea to me; gotta try it. Also seems like a good idea to slow down the eating. Yay for children learning that the Easter Bunny hides Easter eggs and that's the meaning of Easter. That's what I learned - let socialization be passed to the next generation, LOL.

Cheryl (seadwaters) - Hang in; keep the faith. Smart choice to turn off the computer to help avoid that giant black hole of work.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 23

You have a choice when you have thoughts about dieting, eating, food, or weight that start with It's unfair that ... . You can dwell on this negative notion and feel bad, or you can say, That's true ... It's not fair ... Oh, well. Then refocus your thoughts on all the advantages in life you have that others don't.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-05-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Closed Thread