Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Oh, and Honey, I just love reading your posts. You have the most brilliant sense of humor!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #17  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Making people laugh is like the most fun I can have in life.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #18  

Height: 5'6"

It will be gone soon enough. I fluctuate up 5-6 lbs every month. It is frustrating when you are staying on plan to see the scale do this, but it will drop back in a couple of days. No worries!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Wait a minute. Pregnant and obese? Best pig-out spots? What channel(s) are these shows on and when? I've never heard of them.

Firefly....I don't even get TOM anymore and even I notice patterns when being on Atkins.....especially regarding the sequence of events that usually go along with the scale dropping. Venturing down....creeping up a little...bouncing around, back and forth....sudden downward plunge...water retention as a compensatory response...bounce back up and then weight stabilizing at the new low.
You'll get used to your body's unique little patterns.

Once you really get an understanding of just how Atkins works and all your body's patterns while on it.....you can then even venture out into discovering other patterns. For instance, about half-way or a little more to goal, I began to experiment with a bit of calorie cycling/alternating....just to see what my body would decide to do with it. And I'm still working on it....as my body seems to have two different sequences associated with it and I'm trying to figure out why.....or which one works better and how I can get it to only do that particular one.
Plus, using trial and error teaches us more about our own unique physiology and about the physiology/biochemistry of how the human body works.
And information is power.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #20  
Results Are Typical

I think one was on the Learning channel and one was on the Travel channel. I love the juxtaposition--eat all you want but if you get fat it is a sign of personal weakness.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #21  

OK....pregnant and obese definitely sounds like the Learning Channel (TLC). They have become the channel of sensational medical stories and bizarre families, etc. In many ways, it's changed.....and not in a good way...in terms of wholesome, etc.

So the greatest pig-out spots must be the Travel Channel.....and I don't think we have that on the basic cable line-up....so would have to go and catch that in my dad's room where he has the digital box/cable set-up. If you happen to come across when these shows come on, let me know.

And let's face it.....one's weight sure isn't the only thing we get mixed messages about from the media.

deena
Old 02-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #22  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena52 View Post
OK....pregnant and obese definitely sounds like the Learning Channel (TLC). They have become the channel of sensational medical stories and bizarre families, etc. In many ways, it's changed.....and not in a good way...in terms of wholesome, etc.

So the greatest pig-out spots must be the Travel Channel.....and I don't think we have that on the basic cable line-up....so would have to go and catch that in my dad's room where he has the digital box/cable set-up. If you happen to come across when these shows come on, let me know.

And let's face it.....one's weight sure isn't the only thing we get mixed messages about from the media.

deena
I believe they showed Pregnant and Obese on both TLC and Discovery Health, which makes sense since they're all owed by the same overlord, I believe.

Travel Channel is the new food network for sure. They have lots of 'pigout'-type shows, they've got Anthony Bourdain, and they've got Man vs. Food, where Adam Rich stuffs himself beyond what is healthy or safe for our entertainment every week. It's ridiculous! Yet I obviously watch, since I know their line-up so well.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #23  
Results Are Typical

At least the consequences of Adam's over indulgence is obvious as he has gotten pudgier over time. Although he does say he works out constantly. Imagine if he ate like that and was sedentary. I have no idea how Anthony Bourdain manages to stay thin and he even quit smoking after a few seasons.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #24  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I think the reason Anthony pulls it off, honestly, is the principles laid out by Atkins and people like Gary Taubes. He's one of those chefs who believes in good cuts of meat, lots of fat, and isn't crazy about dessert. There are a lot of chefs like that, at least if the chatter between chefs on Top Chef is to be believed. They are all doing Atkins, basically.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #25  
Results Are Typical

I also have a little crush on Anthony, or as I like to call him, Tony. Don't Tell Gary though. I hate to have them fighting over me.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #26  

I also have a little crush on Anthony, or as I like to call him, Tony. Don't Tell Gary though. I hate to have them fighting over me.

Hahaha! You're too funny, honey. Heck, nothing wrong with two guys fighting over you.

I love Anthony Bourdain too....even though he's a bit of a food snob...he's entitled to it. He wrote a critique of "Semi-Homemade" one time that made me choke, I was laughing so hard.

And yes, TLC and Discovery are the same overlord. Don't even get me started on that whole Gosselin mess (Jon and Kate). I'm practically boycotting those channels in protest at this point (though I might have to make an exception for Pregnant and Obese...as it sounds so intriguing...meaning, so bad that it's good).

If I had to choose, I'd pick Taubes, though. Would probably be threatened by a guy who could cook better than me....plus his aloofness would throw me a bit, I'm thinking. Would be more comfortable with the genius who also has common sense. Might just come down to who has the better sense of humor...hmmm.

deena

ADDED: Gee, since it's come down to sense-of-humor, I might have to choose you, honeyb. Hahaha....just kidding, girlfriend. I know you're already married.

Last edited by Deena52; 02-20-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #27  
Results Are Typical

I would choose Taubes too. Bourdain has a lot of personal/emotional issues that I would not have the patience to deal with. Plus he has bad teeth.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #28  

I totally agree, honeyb. I'd prefer the intelligent professorial guy over the rather intriguingly arrogant, experienced globe-trotter for sure. I could always get him dentures....but he's not really my type, even though he intrigues me from afar.

However....are we sharing Gary or will we have to fight over him?

deena
Old 02-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #29  
Results Are Typical

aaahahahahha he can spend summers up north with you and those cold cold winter nights in the south with me.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #30  

Great plan.

And absence makes the heart grow fonder...so I'll appreciate the time I get to have him. I'll take him to the beach and teach him to get funky.

I'll have him explain his book to me while we're swinging from the chandeliers.

deena