Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Smile Wow - this is almost scary - lost another pound.

I know, I know, I should just be happy, but 10 pounds in 11 days? That scares me a bit, LOL! I mean I always heard, one to two pounds a week.

Well, I'm telling myself I must have been storing a huge amount of water weight - more proof that my body and my metabolism handles simple carbohydrates HORRIBLY.

It makes sense that I could lose that much water weight in 11 days. I'm sure that must be what it is.

And since I am feeling healthier than ever, and have tons of energy to exercise, and don't feel the least bit light-headed, don't have hunger pangs, etc....I think I will just keep going and see what happens.

For sure this rapid weight loss will not keep going. I'm sure this is the end of it, and it will be one pound a week from here on out. Which is fine by me, and to be expected. I feel so good on this diet that I want to continue not just for the weight loss, but because I plain old feel a million times better on it.

The best part about this diet is how much better I feel on it.

It is kind of cool feeling less bloated though, and seeing the scale go downward has been a nice thing too.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Woooo Hoooo!
Sounds like you're off to a great start! Keep up the good work!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #3  

Thank you, Jerseygrl! (Can I call you Kim instead?) I went to Wegmans to grocery shop and checked myself out with the blood pressure/pulse machine.

So far so good. My blood pressure, which had been hypertension stage, has now moved down into the "prehypertension" stage. That's good. My doctor will be pleased with that. And my pulse was normal.

So as far as I can tell, I'm not being unhealthy here. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing unless something comes along to say I'm unhealthy. All my doctor told me when I said I wanted to diet and exercise and lose weight was that I shouldn't reduce my calorie intake below 1,200 a day and that I should increase my exercise gradually rather than overdoing it.

So I'm following my docs advice.

It just kind of shocks me how fast the pounds have come off (and my DH and I can see the difference in my body, too).

When you guys first started the Atkins, did you lose a bunch of water weight too? I mean is this pretty normal for low-carbing?

I just think my body was hoarding water because the simple carbs I was giving it were bad for it. That must be it.

Making roasted chicken with rosemary stuffed inside the cavity for flavor tonight...mmmm! You're all invited to my house for dinner - if you can get to my house, I'll give you some dinner, LOL!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #4  

I finally read all the posts under "frequently asked questions" on top. Now I get it, LOL! My body IS losing all that excess water. And there will be a stall or even an uptick in the next several weeks on the scale as my body reacts to that. Okey-dokey. Got it. Won't be upset when the scale stalls in the next few weeks! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because I feel so great eating this way, I want to continue!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #5  

Height: 6-1.5

I started low carbing about December 15th. I've gone from a size 22 to the larger variety of size 18 as of January 15. My gole now is to go from big 18 to size 16. I don't know how much of that weight was water.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #6  

Wow, Gisellley, that's amazing! Congratulations! I know you will reach your goal! Thank you for replying and letting me know that it can be completely normal to lose quite a bit of weight on this diet at first.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #7  

I lost 9 pounds my first week but my second week only one pound....it was also my TOM....hopefully as my body adjusts to this I will keep losing... I can feel a difference in my stomach area so I'm thinking something is happening !
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #8  

You're doing great, LeslieLou! How are you feeling? Are you feeling energetic and strong, or feeling badly?

Are you having any bad cravings or feeling hungry a lot, or is this plan one that feels like you could keep doing it for a long time without going crazy?

I feel really good on this diet myself, at least so far (knock on wood.) No big hunger problems, no cravings, and I feel better than I have for many years. So far so good, this seems to be the diet for me. At least right now, I feel like I could eat like this the rest of my life.

And with any luck, I will be healthier and maybe a size smaller by the time the hot summer weather hits, and then maybe I will be at my goal weight by January of next year. If it happens sooner than that, great, and if it takes longer than that, well, okay, but I will probably take a closer look at what I'm doing and see if I need to tweak anything.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #9  

Lori....I feel incredible! I have tons of energy that I haven't had in years! Induction was rough the first few days for me as my body "detoxed" the carbs and such.....but that was over two weeks ago. I do believe I have a carb sensitivity or more likely a gluten sensitivity. I am amazed at how good I feel! This will definitely be my way of eating forever. I cannot go back to that tired, sluggish person again. We have a life to live and it needs to be a good one!

I'm so glad you joined this site! It's great to have others to chat with here
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Lori, I had a stall after the first couple of weeks when I started low carbing. I think it lasted about 3 weeks, and my clothes kept feeling looser. Since then, I've noticed a pattern of a few weeks of loss, then a while of more-or-less plateau (maybe one pound in 3 weeks lost), often I lose inches while that weight holds pretty steady, then it starts to move down again.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #11  

LL, I'm really glad to be able to chat with you, too!

Sarah, thanks, I will remember that as I hit my plateaus! I thought for sure this week would be a no weight loss week for me but somehow I lost another pound this morning. Well, next week for sure will be a stall, and probably several weeks more after that, too.