Old 08-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #1  
Chuggin' along...

Default Weekly Chat Aug 15-21

Good morning ladies (and gents if we've got any)!

I can't believe it's August 15 already. Where has the last month gone? I was pretty bad food-wise. The last month has been awful - directly linked to me running around like a crazy person. I'm going on vacation later this week, which actually may help. My sis & her fiance love to sleep in, and I'll be able to get up and go for runs while they do.

My weekend was GREAT fun-wise, though. I finally finished the SCUBA class I've been talking about and we had 4 checkout dives this weekend, so I actually got to go diving in the ocean. There are no words to describe it. I'm hooked on diving. But I used the hour drive to & from the dive shop as an excuse to fall into the fast food trap. It was just the milkshakes (smalls!), I swear, I didn't even get any meals. But at home I ate a lot more than the dive workout demanded.

How did everyone do this weekend? And more importantly, what did everyone do for fun?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #2  
Mikey's girl

My weekend, was blah... nothing really happened.. Sat we had people over for dinner, and then sunday I went to the movies and saw skelton key then just hung out.We had a huge poker tourny at my house so the baby went to gmas and I was out with the girls. Food wise sucked I ate crppy all weeekend... and now Im paying for it...
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #3  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Morning ladies!!

My weekend was AWFUL food-wise...on Saturday morning I ate some sugary cereal and a couple of doritos. I tried to redeem myself by eating a Lean Cuisine for lunch but the chicken has these nasty grisles in them so I didn't eat much and ended up going to Wal-Mart with my cousin and eating some of the barbecue chicken bites and 2 potato wedges. I actually did OK for my b-day dinner that night at Chili's...plain chicken breast (only like 3/4), a couple of bites of rice, corn on the cob, and some black beans. (BTW--has anyone else had their black beans? Oh my goodness, they are to die for...they put red onions, tomatoes, spicy peppers, and cilantro in there...it is DELISH!) Now yesterday...ugh! For breakfast I had cheerio's, but for lunch...oh my! We had a birthday dinner at my parents for me and my brother and my nephew, and it was down-home Southern cookin' for sure...I don't get it often, and I went overboard. Our menu was: cubed steak and gravy, chicken, homemade maccaroni and cheese, cole slaw, potato salad, rolls, grean beans, fried okra, corn, birthday cake, cookies, cherry cheesecake, banana pudding, sweet tea, and lemonade!! Oh man was it good...but on the bright side, I didn't eat any of the dessert and we went outside and played football for like 2 hours after that in the heat of the day so I definitely got some sweating in too (and a sore hip!). And for dinner I did redeem myself a little with only a smart ones meal and a piece of wheat bread. So, it was a fun weekend but I'm up 1.5 lbs today to show for it.

Megan~ scuba diving sounds like SOOO much fun! I wish I lived close to the beach!!

Justforus~ did you like The Skeleton Key? I looks really good...we might go see it this weekend, but hubby wants to see the Dukes of Hazzard too (LOL) so we'll see.
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack! Did you miss me? I spent the past three days visiting my friend in New York City! Whew, it was SO HOT. Last summer I took a trip to Hong Kong, and let me tell you, the weather in NYC this weekend was EXACTLY the same as the weather in Hong Kong. Ugh! I was drenched in sweat after walking a single block from my friend's apartment (thank heaven she has air conditioning!). And the subway platforms were even worse! I always thought it would be *cooler* underground. Ugh.

I know you all probably don't care about the details, but I feel like writing about it so here you go. Sorry for the huge paragraphs about what I ate at every meal!

Anyway, despite the heat, I had a great time. We didn't do anything in particular, we just kind of wandered all over town and did some shopping. We also went to a comedy club Saturday night! There were four guys performing, the middle two were good and the first and last ones were not so good. The last guy on made like exclusively ethnic jokes and sex jokes, and while many of his ethnic jokes were in good taste (as much as they can be, that is), his jokes about Asians were downright offensive, and my friend who I was with is Asian-American, so she was pretty irritated (so was I!). Anyway, it was good to have some girl time with my friend. AND I got plenty of exercise in walking all over creation and up and down those subway stairs!!

Food-wise, I think I was pretty good. I'm not showing any gain on the scale this morning. I ate food that was not the most nutritious, but I did pretty well on my portions. I felt like I overate at every meal, but I didn't clean my plate at any of them. Friday I took the bus down, so I had my usual breakfast, and I packed a healthy lunch to eat on the bus. For dinner my friend took me to a sushi place, and I ate a little over half of what I ordered (I felt pretty good seeing that I ate less than my friend, who is totally thin). Later in the evening I had half of a tall nonfat chai from Starbucks (the first time in AGES I have not drank the entire thing).

Saturday I had a small muffin I had packed from home for breakfast, and then we went to a deli for lunch (that was the one thing I said I absolutely had to do in NY!). Anyway, those of you who know delis (especially real Jewish delis) know that there is a HUGE amount of food. I ended up eating about 1/4 of a corned beef sandwich (not the triple-decker kind, the regular kind, which is still huge) and half a potato knish (baked, not fried), plus some coleslaw and a bite of a pickle. I consider that meal a HUGE success, because I am a major sucker for good old Jew food. I usually don't like coleslaw because I HATE mayo, but this coleslaw had no mayo on it! It was totally yummy. Anyway, that afternoon I had to try these famous cream puffs I had heard about from a place called "Beard Papa's." They are pretty small, so I ate one. Yum. For dinner, we went to a Turkish place where I had roasted leg of lamb (best lamb I have ever had, it was SO GOOD) that came with some bread, rice, and veggies. I ate all of the veggies and rice, some of the bread, and about 3/4 of the lamb. I have this problem where I don't realize I'm full while I'm eating, but ten minutes after I stop eating I suddenly feel like I ate a whale or something. Ugh! After that we went to the comedy club, where there was a two-drink minimum, so I had a couple Sprites.

Sunday I had a bagel w/low-fat cream cheese for breakfast, then hopped on the bus to come back home. On the bus, I had a half a bagel, then when I got home I had the other half. My BF set us up a great dinner, a nice salad with goat cheese and apple, some crusty multigrain bread, and a bowl of goulash that he had made the previous night. Plus a glass of red wine. Yum!! I think since I have lost all this weight my alcohol tolerance has gone down even further. It was a really small glass of wine, but I was pretty tipsy after drinking it.

So altogether, I consider the weekend a success. I ate foods I wanted to, but not too much of them, I walked all over so I got exercise, and I didn't gain any weight. I'd be shocked if I lost at all this week, but my goal at the moment is to maintain since I will be traveling so much.

I just caught up on the forum, sounds like you all are doing pretty well! I will apologize in advance for my next absence, since I'm leaving Wednesday for a conference and won't be back until Sunday. Then I'm leaving again next Friday for the big trip home and to Shanghai for another conference. Whew!

And, one last piece of news . . . I was lazy and didn't feel like running my usual 5K this morning, so instead I did a timed mile . . . and set a new personal record! My last PR was 10:40, but today I did it in 10:21! I am so excited. I will seriously be jumping up and down celebrating the day I break 10:00. I can't believe I improved almost 20 seconds in just two weeks! In January, I couldn't even run a mile. The first time I ran a whole mile, I think it took me at least 15 minutes. Anyway, I was totally exhausted afterwards, but it was great!

Sorry for the book!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #5  

Sounds like everyone had a fun weekend whether you had a good food weekend or not! paperclippy, I've never been to NYC and would love to go. Sounds like you had fun.
I did all right on food this weekend. I'm on a bit of a plateau but that's ok. I need to mix up my exercise so it's pretty much my fault. I also started my TOM today. Has anyone else's been messed up because of weight loss or exercise?? I've always (pretty much) been 28-30 day cycles. No muss no fuss, easy to remember. Now I spot (sorry for TMI) for 2-3 days before my cycle is supposed to start and then have a slightly shorter and less heavy cycle. this has been going on for 4 or 5 months. Any ideas? This happen to anyone else? This month my cycle is only 23 days (I started spotting today). OK, enough about my messed up cycle! Sorry ladies, but it's driving me nutso.

This week is a bit stressful. My son is starting kindergarten on Thursday. WAAHHHHHHHH! I don't want my baby boy to go to school. I have to be strong. It's only 2 hours out of the day and he went to pre-school last year but it's just the beginning. My baby girl will be going next year and then I'll be all alone *whine* I've been saying for years how it will be nice to have some time during the day to get some cleaning done and now that it's happening, I HATE it.
My in-laws are coming in a couple of weeks so I really need to clean clean clean. My MIL is a neat-nick. Our basement is a disaster so that's my afternoon torture. I now need to go mow my yard and put down some fertilizer and grass seed. I'm SO lazy about cleaning. I hate it. That's why I have to do these big cleaning adventures.

I hope everyone has a good week! I will break my mini-plateau (which may in fact be because of TOM and not a plateau at all). We'll see in about a week.
AmberM
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #6  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Megan - I am so afraid of being under the water, but scuba diving sounds really fun and interesting. I love fish and the ocean, but I'm just terrified of water in general.. weird huh?

JustforUs- How was the skeleton key? I don't usually like scary movies, but I like kate hudson so I was thinking maybe it would be ok.

Christy- Well, don't beat yourself up! I've never really been into southern foods, even though being from South Carolina I could find it easily... It is possibly the only food I don't really like! But, I think that is just because I'm still trying to learn to eat veggies and okra and greens and stuff always made me sick..

Paperclippy - NYC sounds like so much fun, even though it was sweltering. The food sounds so good. I love all kinds of ethnic foods, but there aren't tons of options around here...And a BF that can cook! Lucky girl. And way to go on improving your time!! I'm still working on a 12min mile, but eventually I'll get it down.

Amber - My cycle is completely screwed up too, and I'm on the pill so I didn't think that could happen. I'm not sure if it is exercise, but it is completely possible. Lots of cardio really improves my PMS symptoms so maybe it makes my TOM lighter too ,I'm not sure.
Eek! Good luck cleaning. I hate it too so it usually gets done really well whenever I absolutely have to and then not very much until the next time.

My weekend was kind of mellow. Food wise it was insane.. half the time I ate good foods and then the other half of the time I either didn't have time to eat at all or I ate badly. I went to a BBQ for my friend's brother who came back from Iraq. (Mmm.. military boys... ) I had half of a bbq sandwich, a brownie, but no chips and just tried to sip on diet coke for the rest of the party. (Soft drinks are bad, I know, but it kept me away from the chips, hot dogs and other dessets...)

Later that night I went to this other party and it was low-key. Going back home for me means re-living my awkward high school days. My ex's friends were all there and I've decided that if I can't erase my memory of him (ie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind..) that the next best thing for me to do is just meet people who don't know him so that they can't ask me about him/us or remind me of him. I live an hour away now, so that should be easier.

This week is going to be crazy. Work is going to start picking up, plus school starts back on Thursday so I'm going to be 5x as busy as I have been. I think having a schedule will help me with working out and eating right because I won't have so much down time to talk myself out of it. I'm going to start Week 7 of Total Body Makeover again since last week I kind of half-assed it.

I'm really excited about Saturday.. it is going to be my official birthday party since everyone is back in town for school. I'm actually going to have to start cleaning up the messy apartment this week too. So much to do...!

Hope everyone is having a fabulous monday!!!!
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #7  
All That's Left of Me

Amber - the fact that kindergarten is around two hours a day is the only thing that makes the transition not too bad. I was planning on homeschooling, but my family has made it impossible for me (on purpose, long story), so he's going to a private christian school. Imagine first grade though, like 6 1/2 hours a day...at that point homeschooling is going to be the only option for me.

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Just a quickie for Amber (disclaimer: this may be TMI for some people): My period got really screwed up towards the end of my weight loss. It got really light and erratic, and then I didn't have one for 3 1/2 months. It freaked me out but I couldn't afford to go to the doc, so I checked my fat/protein/carb intakes and lived in fear/stress for a while. I was eating about 1400 cal/day with one higher day (~1700 cal)/wk, and training pretty hard - running about 30 miles/wk. When I went onto maintenance and started eating a bit more it came back, and after another 2 months got pretty much back on a "normal" schedule (normal for me, which is anywhere from a 26-35 day cycle).

I looked it up online and found a lot of similar stories (actually some in forums here at 3fc - try the "search" mode). But if you're worried and able to, I'd suggest going to your doctor to get checked out.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #9  
Mikey's girl

The Skelton Key was ok, I guess a little slow, and not what I expected.. But fun to get out with the girls..
About all the kids going to kindergarden I cannot imagine. Mine will be one sept. 13th.. KINDA SCARY@ where the **** did the last year go?
About the periods <can you tell a bunch girls are on this board?? first boobs and now periods! ) My TOM symptons get SOOO much better with working out, even lighter and I love that! they have been all messed uyp since Makayla..
Trying to plan a vacation!!! Mike agreed to take me to TRAVERSE CITY in MI . I LOVE LOVE LOVE that place, so not this weekend, as in 7 days, but the following weekend we are taking a long weekend like thurs- monday with no baby.. .Ill miss her! but OHHH looking online at the beach and the resorts, and night life!!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #10  
Proud US Navy Wife

Red face

Happy Monday! *groan*

Megan - Scuba diving sounds fun! I've always wanted to try it.. maybe someday, when Im a big successful lawyer I'll be able to try it...

JustForUs - I never even heard of that movie.. I'm out of the loop! =x

Christy - You're making my mouth water! Stop it woman hehe

Clippy - I know what you mean about the Jewish delis.. I live close by one, and whenever I go there Im always tempted to get so much, because it's so good! (esp. the pickles lol). And I want to go to Hong Kong! I want to travel! (Actually I really want to go to Ireland and Scotland.. Oooo the Celtic stuff!)

Amber - Don't you wish that there was just an on/off switch for TOM? So it just happens when you want it too.. and *hugs* little ones grow up fast.. listen to me talking like I have kids.. *G*

Wasted - its always your birthday! Forever and ever.. and I don't envy you in the cleaning. My room is a pig pen, gotta try and clean it up some tonight.

JustForUs - TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!

My weekend was evil.. had to work a sucide shift (noon to 12:30) then a 6 hour shift on sunday...

Today I got frusterated at work because my manager was rushing me super-fast and jumping in for me and I got so frusterated I started crying. =/ Came home and felt ready to binge.. but then I weighed myself.. and either my scale is screwed up or I've lost 2 lb! Or something like that.. I couldn't afford a digital scale so I have to squint down at it, BUT there deff. was a loss.. so now I am super-excited and not feeling the need to binge anymore! (although I AM hungry, so I might make myself dinner now).

My first official loss! Im jumping for joy! Lol

Plus I'm thrilled because Brian comes home on leave tomorrow, so I'll get to see him when I get out of the evil **** known as Wendy's... I'm hoping to get a job with my "bodyguard" (long inside joke) as a cook at a pizza place, which apparently pays better and is a better place to work. Score!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Wow! Look at all the posting today. I love catching up on Mondays and seeing how everyone's weekend went. Mine was pretty good. Had planned to go to the lake on Saturday for a bday party and swimming but it rained so I decided to curl up at home and do some baking instead (banana bread and strawberry oat bars). And I was able to give away leftovers so I didn't eat too much of either. BUT on Saturday night we went to play dominos at a friend's place and I drank too much Bacardi Apple rum and ended up eating two slices of jalapeno pizza at midnight. UGH I completed my full 7 mile run on Sunday so that somewhat made up for it.

Amber- I didn't have my period for about 4 months and was stressing out but now I've got it again and wish I didn't! Guess there is no happy medium but I know that stress affects it and it's totally normal to have variations so get some exercise and hopefully that will help.

Paperclippy- Your trip sounds like so much fun! I haven't been to NYC in ages but I remember all the walking we did in the sweltering heat so I think that definitely counteracts the food. I am impressed with your portion control--I have a hard time with that.

JustForUS- Still waiting to hear how the movie was...I want to see that one and Must Love Dogs. Saw Dukes of Hazzard and was not very impressed (Jessica Simpson can NOT act!)--4 Brothers was good though so check it out.

Ok well I hope the board stays active this week and everyone has a good one!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #12  
Mikey's girl

Lizzbabe~ I kinda said a bit about it in my last post, It was ok. Kinda scary, but predicitable? sp. It wasn't wat I thought it was, didnt care for the ending. But, hmmm how do I say it? I'd recommend it if there is nothing else to do, but I wouldnt see it twice. I would like to see wedding CRASHERS, anyone seen that?? and yea Ik heard dukes of hazzards was terrible, I heard she basicly ruined the movie!
I have notice the board is a little slow, vacations I take it. Terrific tuesday... I need my tea. Nothing is wrose then coming in a decent mood and the boss just starts B!TCHIN at you!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #13  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Amber -- Weight loss can really screw with your TOM . . . I'm on the pill so I haven't had to deal with it (though it has gotten a bit lighter), but I'm kind of curious what would happen if I went off of it. I've been on the pill since I was 17, so I don't have a clue what my normal period is like! I was irregular as a teenager and had awful (like majorly awful) cramps and PMS, but the pill took care of that business, so I don't know if my adult cycle would be normal or not. I went off the pill for one month while I was sick with mono on the doctor's recommendation, and it was so weird, I felt bad for my boyfriend because I was going back and forth between snapping at him every five seconds and taking him to bed! TMI, sorry! I'm kind of scared of what will happen the day I stop taking them.

WastedThermos -- Haha, I'm glad my bf can cook, but the only problem is that he takes about ten times as long as I do to make anything! So on the days he cooks, I'm starving!! All the birthday celebrating sounds like fun. Man, on my birthday, I will be taking a day off from healthy eating to eat some ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins (I have been getting them every year since I was a little kid). Yuuuuuuum.

JustForUs -- I've never even heard of the city you're going to, but it sounds like fun!

Fae -- Congrats on the loss! I really want to go to Ireland and Scotland too . . . I have too many places I want to go! I will be so excited once my bf and I become officially engaged, because then I can start planning our honeymoon! I actually really want to go to Alaska, not like a cruise, but I want to go to Denali National Park. It looks SO pretty. I also want to go to the Shetland Islands in Scotland, I think that would be an awesome vacation.

Liz -- Mmmm, banana bread! Yum yum, I love that stuff. My recipe for it has like 1/2 C oil though, I guess that's what makes it so yummy!

I love baking so much, but it is totally detrimental to my weight! Someday, once I manage to finish grad school and save up for a few years, I want to quit the computer field altogether and start a bakery. Then I could bake all I wanted and I wouldn't have to eat it! Actually, my idea is to have a bakery combined with a dog biscuit bakery. I would have the regular counter, then a dog-sized counter with a biscuit display! I think it would be awesome, but that is still a far-off possibility.

I'll be disappearing again tomorrow, going to a conference in PA. I'm not sure if my hotel will have internet or not, so I probably won't be around for a few days. Ugh, I totally don't want to go. I am going to miss my bf too much with all this traveling!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #14  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Fae - When I used to work retail I would get really upset and cry, usually rude customers. It was so embarassing, but I think people really understood how much they were pissing me off. Good for you for not binging!! It is so tempting to turn to food, but it looks like you`re learning not to. Way to go!!!

lizzbabe - Do you ever find that drinking hinders your athletic performance? Sometimes after a night of indulgence I just feel sluggish for days.

Justforus- I've seen wedding crashers twice. It was sooo much funnier than I thought it would be. Vince Vaughn is really cute and I think I might want to have thousands and thousands of his babies.

Papperclippy - Yumm.. ice cream cake.. Before I started getting serious about my weight loss I had wanted a turtle ice cream cake from marble slab. I looove ice cream, more than cake. However, I told my friends no food for my birthday because I'm gonna try to celebrate this without the temptation to binge. Maybe next year when I lose 70lbs.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #15  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Default For those of you who are religious...

Hey guys--I don't know how many of you would be interested, but I have been taking a free online class called "The Lord's Table" that deals with food issues from a biblical perspective. I just finished Day 5, and it was GREAT--one of those principles you always knew but just didn't think about until it was laid out in black and white, you know? Anyway, it's helping my mindset a good bit, so I thought I'd let my friends on here know about it in case someone else can get some good from it...go to settingcaptivesfree.com. There are also courses for people with other addictions and problems, all free. It's a great resource for Protestants (and probably Catholics...don't know too much about Catholicism) anyway! LOL

WastedThermos~ that Vince Vaughn comment made my day!! LOL

Fae~ My greatest dream is to have a little cottage on the beach in Scotland...one of those in the highlands where you can see the ocean out your front door and the mountains out your back door. That has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world...I definitely plan to visit some day! Plus, I have Scottish roots (maiden name is one of the Mc's ), so it's awsome to know I originated there!! LOL (Oh, and sorry for the mouth-watering... :P)

paperclippy~ I think all men are ingrained with a slow-cooking gene. It takes my husband over an hour to make tacos!

lizzbabe~ those strawberry oat bars sound delish...have you posted the recipe anywhere?

amanda~ kindergarten is only 2 hours there?? Here kindergarted lasts from 8am to 2:30pm...even pre-K does! why do you think your only option next year will be homeschooling?
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote