Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #1  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

Angry By BF is killing me!!

So every week it is tradition to order out. Every Thursday we usually order from a local pizza shop. Usually my weeks go something like
Thurs: huge binge
Fri: not so big but still too much
Sat-Mon: borderline
Tues-Wed: doing great
So naturally the scale hasn't been doing much moving. Other than up then back where I started.
So I need some healthy foods I can get from a pizza/Italian food restaurant, and if possible nutrition values? I've tried not eating all day and just saving the calories for the evening, but that usually fails badly. Tried eating normally all day and trying for a salad, but then I'm starving later on (and I'm sure the dressings/cheeses/chicken etc is putting me way above my limit anyways) and end up binging since I already screwed up the day....
In short: please someone teach me how to order out without killing myself!! (in a diet sense)
TheVikingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #2  
Viking Barbarian

I left out the part where I can't NOT order something. That's why he's killing me haha. He takes it as an insult and tells me I can eat badly once in a while that it won't make me gain 20lbs overnight. I understand what he's saying, but doing this every week is just too much. And he's treating, so it's like a slap in the face if I say no, which I understand. I'm just tired of staring at the menu for a good 30mins looking for SOMETHING remotely healthy and satisfying, then saying screw it and getting a calzone since I won't be hungry later that way.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/160/150

Height: 6ft

You need to stop getting takeaways until you can control your eating habits which are pretty bad.
Brummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

It sounds like you've already tried a variety of strategies to "work with" the situation. What about trying to create a new Thursday night tradition that works better for both of you? Like making your own personal pizzas at home or something (where you control the cheese level on yours, can add lots of veggies, etc). Heck, even a routine of picking up a frozen pizza and making a quick but crazy delicious accompanying salad would be better than going the take-out route. A lot of this depends on your schedules and whatnot, but think about what function your current Thursday night 'tradition is serving - and get creative!

Last edited by Desiderata; 05-23-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4

If he's the sort of guy worth keeping around he'll be supportive of your goals and help you to find a better solution. Maybe he's right in saying that you can loosen up a bit, but he also needs to understand there is a balance.

Ultimately it's YOU making the choice to eat a calzone and then spend the next two days binging. Perhaps you need to re-evalutate why it is you want to lose weight and what exactly you are willing to do to get there because it does require some sacrifice. You don't need to give up pizza the rest of your life but obviously what you're doing now isn't working.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

How about one slice of his pizza AND a salad (with just a drizzle of dressing)?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #7  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
How about one slice of his pizza AND a salad (with just a drizzle of dressing)?

F.
Took the words right out of my mouth
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #8  
Viking Barbarian

I realize I might kind of sound like an idiot in this post and I apologize for that. I can't just say no, it will cause a fight and I don't want him to feel unappreciated.
I just have no idea what to order that isn't horrible. Like how the salads look healthy, then you do the math and they have 1,000 cals in them.
And it has to do with more than just Thursdays, I don't know how to eat ANYWHERE that doesn't have a nutrition label on it. Say I get invited to dinner for a family members birthday. I can't just say no in that situation either.
In general, I have no idea what to do.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #9  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Can you order something half cheese/half his? I know a slice of Pizza Hut pizza is around 300 calories.

I don't recall if you said what method you're using to lose weight, but you could have 2 pieces of cheese pizza for about 600 calories. If you work that into your day's plan you should be ok.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

By the way, I do agree with the others who have posted. If you're going to lose weight successfully for the long term, you're going to have to stand up for yourself and say NO to people, regardless who it is or how it makes them feel. It's your body.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Nvm, did a quck search so that doesn't apply.

A short term fix would be to tell yourself you can only order at restaurants where nutritional information is available.

A long term fix is to examine whether or not your boyfriend is an accomplice at contributing to weight gain by insisting that you're not going to gain weight overnight from doing this.

Are you guys killing each other with food? This is a common mistake with new couples. I wonder if this is a symptom of a major problem?? It sounds like your relationship needs a bit of a overhaul in terms of 'together' activities.... what about replacing a restaurant visit with late night walks, picnics etc??

Last edited by sacha; 05-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Who cares if he takes it as an insult? He needs to get used to it. Do what YOU need to succeed - if, for some baffling reason he can't deal with you making a healthy choice, then he probably won't be too supportive of your journey.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #13  
Viking Barbarian

We aren't a new couple, but I hear what you're saying. When we met he was 160lbs give or take and I was 190lbs.
Now he's 210lbs give or take and I'm 278lbs.
So understandably we aren't the healthiest people. Problem is I want to lose it, he doesn't care.
I guess I need to tell him to just get it himself and leave me out of it. He'll get pissed off but he'll get over it. To him, spending time together usually means eating together. :/
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Very generally, lean meats that are grilled, baked, broiled, steamed with very little additional fats (like cream, oil, butter, cheese) are good options at a restaurant.

Vegetables prepared like the above without additional sauces, etc are good too.

Salad is fine, and you can even ask for all of the calorie dense parts (nuts/seeds, dressing, cheese, croutons, etc) to be served on the side so that you can pick as little or as much as you need to stay within your calorie budget.

If I go to a restaurant, I typically get a lean meat and double vegetables, omitting the starchy side (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) since they're usually higher in calories AND I very rarely eat more than half, and take the rest home for later.

Experiment at home! Maybe instead of ordering out, you can make a meal together. Cooking together is sexy! My absolute favorite blog to cook from is www.skinnytaste.com but there are plenty of others to find great recipes.

Last edited by Munchy; 05-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Cooking together is sexy!
yep yep...hehe..
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote