Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/210.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Trip 2 Monterey, CA

Soooooo I'm going on a trip out of town to the Monterey Bay Aquarium for the day this Sunday for my daughter's bday. I KNOW I'm gonna want to eat something at one of those nice seafood restaurants they have over there I just don't wanna blow it and screw up my diet. Any suggestions or tips you can give when you travel out of town while dieting?
luvchuchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

- Grilled, not breaded and fried.
- No cream sauces.
- If you can order double vegetables in place of potatoes or rice or pasta, do it. Otherwise eat only 1/3 to 1/2 of the starch.
- Skip the bread on the table, or at least limit to 1 piece.
- If you get a salad, ask for dressing on the side. Dip your fork into the dressing and then spear some salad instead of pouring dressing on top.
- Skip dessert.
- If you must have soda, have diet.

Good luck! And enjoy the aquarium!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/210.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks JayEll I have hope now! I was so nervous cause pretty much most of the day is going to be eating out. I like the whole dip your fork in the dressing thing first. That's pretty smart. I feel so clueless when it comes to things you can if you eat out! Thanks again!

Last edited by luvchuchu; 01-09-2010 at 06:52 PM.
luvchuchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, you're welcome! And as time goes on you'll get more practice.

Also, some people carry some fruit or bars like the Kashi TLC bar or South Beach Living Hi-Pro bar, just in case they get hungry during the trip. It can help avoid making bad choices. Oh, and carry a bottle of water, if you can.

Have fun!!! It's beautiful!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Avoid clam chowder. I was there in November, and walking up and down the Wharf, people were shoving samples into my face.

Avoid anything fried. Simple fish dishes are abundant there. You can normally substitute a salad for fries or other unhealthy sides.

I also wouldn't eat AT the aquarium; its expensive, imo, and isn't worth it.

Enjoy it...I love that area
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Many wonderful places to eat in Montery. Go to a restaurant on the wharf, be sure you get a table that looks out on the ocean. You can watch the otters play while you eat. Plenty of fish on the menus, be sure it isn't fried. I like to get a crab louie for lunch , order the dressing on the side and send the sour dough french bread back to the kitchen. Wish I was going with you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #7  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

This is something I do for eating out in general. I usually just ask the whole table if we can skip the bread course, because nobody really likes it. I mean, yes, it's delicious, but they bring it out and everyone is starving so by the time the bread and salad course is over, everyone is already full but they still eat their meal anyway because, well, they paid for it. Usually everyone always agrees with me.

Also, a trick I use at restaurants, even if I'm "being bad" or having a "cheat day", I ask for a box right away and put half of my meal in a box and a bag. It really limits the calories, and then you get to enjoy that yummy meal twice!
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote