Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 02:44 PM   #1  

Question New here

Where do I start? Okay ... I'm 5'2" and when I last went to the doctor I weighed in at 256!!! Yikes!!! My doctor (this is the second time I've been seen by her) told me I need to lose weight. Really??? I am well aware of that fact. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and I am pre-diabetic. Pretty scary.

I asked my doctor if she had a diet plan I could follow. She told me she does not give out written diets because she's found that her patients will follow it for awhile and then forget it. Okay ... so, where does that leave me? Seems I'm on my own to figure out how to lose weight. Oh sure, I know to limit calories and fat intake and exercise more, but I feel left to my own devices I'll only say, "To heck with it." Which, of course, is not the way to go.

I am a very rebellious woman, so I would appreciate some clues where to start in my quest to lose weight.

One thing that truly bothers me is that once I start to lose weight, people will say, "Have you lost weight?" That then puts me in a position of having people keeping track of how long I'll keep the weight off. One time I managed to lose 100 pounds. I had one woman tell me I was shrinking. So what do people want from me? It's so darn frustrating. I wish I could go away for two years and come back home and no one would notice me. Sigh.

By biggest weakness is chocolate.

Well, that's my story for now.

By the way, how do you get those nifty "pictures" under your name and those cute icons in your posts?

Looking forward to your replies.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Beauty! Welcome to Alternachicks!

We're all on different plans. A bunch of us have recently started the South Beach Diet, and most of us are having GREAT success! For most of us it is a "way of life" change. (did that make sense? I'm cooking dinner, and am totally disoriented...)

I can empathize with you re: comments from other people. If only we could lose weight in the flash of an eye and not have everyone tracking our progress for us.
I feel like saying, "Would you bugger off! You're being too personal!!"
And really, my fat is VERY personal.

Ruth will have to tell you about the avatars and stuff. I'm disoriented. My cauliflower needs mashing.

Looking forward to having you join us!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome Skindeep Beauty

I am currently following Weight Watchers -since May- and am doing quite well.

I know what you mean about people's comments- maybe they mean well but sometimes they obsess over it more than you do and it undermines your efforts.

Re: Avatars.....

Go to the top of this page, click on user cp, then click on edit options, scroll down to the header called Thread Options and where it says "show user avatar" click on yes then scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says Avatar and click on more info....you can then choose from the images provided by clicking on the one you like best - this should work

Some of us have gone out and gotten our own images from free websites but that is a bit more complicated and I have only done it once -Ruthxxx is more of an expert on this than me so she may be able to give you more info.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:30 PM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Hi Beauty!!! Yup!! Losing weight is hard enough without having to try to live up to OTHER PEOPLE'S expectations!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:29 AM   #5  

Hi Beauty! Oh yes, I can empathize with the stress when one actually loses some weight. I don't really trust my body and I hate hearing even when people think I look good because what I hear is, that they thought I looked not so good before. My dad especially is a master of the backhanded compliment. He will also tell me that his best friend saw someone 40 lbs overweight and said to my dad, oh that looks like Lidian (transpires it was before they all saw me last Christmas, after I lost weight, but at first that was not clear).

I feel very nervous about the whole d*** thing.

I don't follow a special plan. I have worked out a basic list of staple foods/meals that are low cal and healthy and that I really like. Allow a treat afternoon/evening (Saturdays for me). And I walk and run & use a pedometer.

Welcome to this wonderful special group! Great to have you here!

Lidian
Old 07-18-2003, 12:25 PM   #6  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Welcome to the Nuthouse Beauty!

Closed Thread