Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  
Coloradomom

S/C/G: 147/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Default New here, and wanting to know how many carbs does everyone eat in a day?

Hi! I'm new, and I'm trying to figure out what lifestyle change is best for myself, and my family. I have a friend that is on a lifestyle change diet, and she eats 100 carbs a day. She has lost 14 lbs. How do you determine how many carbs you are to eat in a day, and what do you not eat? My husband and I did the Atkins diet after we had our first child, and it worked. What is everyone doing?
Thanks,
Rachel
frustrated mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Rachel and

I moved your post out of the recipe section so more posters can respond.
(Thanks Kim)

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Hey Frustrated Mom, I'm on Atkins OWL right now. I eat about 30 carbs a day. I pretty much avoid starches, and follow Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. The book I have is from 1997 and so I count full carbs, not net carbs. (carbs - fiber).
There are several low carb diets out there, the best advice I can give you is to read up on them, and see what you feel like you can invest time into.
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #4  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I just started Atkins, so Im on the 20g and under Induction phase. I actually LOVE it! Im not hungry all the time like I thought I would be and like I was when I ate a carb-laden diet. I am however craving sweets, but I know that'll pass. I just had lunch so it happens after meals.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 147.5/152.5/135

Height: 5'6

Default low carb

Hi Ladies
I have been off the wagon for a bit
got to get back on the trail
started calorie counting ...was 147 now i am 157
ok I am back

started today
anyone up for a 5 pound challenge??
melinda4952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

Just starting so I am in induction as well. 20 or under right now myself.
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/239.8/170

Today is my 4th day of Induction on Atkins. My net carbs are 20 - with 12 to 15 of them from veggies. No caffeine, no diet soda, shakes or bars.

So far so good - I'm down 5lbs on the scale this morning!
JulieVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I'm on induction as well and doing 20 carbs a day. its going pretty well by looking at the scale, my official weigh-in is on tuesday
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #9  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

I just re-started Atkins as well. I know during the induction phase you're supposed to eat 20 carbs and then pretty much cut carbs out completely. personally, I don't really count the carbs. I eat things that I know have like less than 5 carbs per serving, and just do it that way. We're supposed to have like 200+ carbs a day, so by just cutting out even 150 carbs I still lose a lot of weight.

Last edited by divinechaos; 06-16-2009 at 11:52 PM.
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinechaos View Post
I just re-started Atkins as well. I know during the induction phase you're supposed to eat 20 carbs and then pretty much cut carbs out completely.
Induction...going from 20 carbs to completely cutting out carbs???
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I spent several weeks at the beginning figuring out carb content of foods and cutting out all the big carb containing ones. Nowdays I just go by feeling staying with the meats, cheese, certain veggies, cream, oil etc. I do eat berries from time to time, and I try to put a day's worth of food into fitday about once a week to calculate the carbs to make sure they are low (around 30). I also test for ketones about once a week. If I'm not losing I buckle down more and do a better job of tracking, but when I'm losing I try to just do it by feeling, since that's how I intend to live long term.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I am having about 50 to 70 carbs a day...but I'm only on my second day! I'm amazed at how low your carbs are....on Lindora, I guess they allow more carbs.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #13  

I am doing Lindora and maintaining 50 carbs per day. You are suppose to do 50 - 100 but since I have an Atkins background, I am shooting for the lower end of the recommended carb scale and doing 50 carbs a day.

But, so far, so good. My first week and I get 1 serving of bread (or cereal) and 2 servings of fruit 6 out of 7 days a week. AND, my ketostix's are still purple every morning!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love Atkins and was able to drop all my weight and maintain for over 6 years. Then I started gaining last year (depression) and grabbed my dusty ole Atkins Revolution. I honestly tried 3x to get through Induction and just didn't have enough of the same will power (or motivation) I had 6 years ago, so I continued gaining more weight.

Feeling sorry for myself and steady gaining my old weight back, I somehow stumbled across Lindora a couple weeks ago and find the two programs are similar except Lindora isn't so strict. Induction is only 3 days and I barely made it through that.

Now my spirit is high and I'm exercising and eating the low carb way. I believe it really doesn't matter what plan you use, it's the plan that works for you. AND, we're all different so not every plan works for everybody every time.

Dee.
deelitefullyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelitefullyme View Post
I believe it really doesn't matter what plan you use, it's the plan that works for you. AND, we're all different so not every plan works for everybody every time.

Dee.
Amen to that, Dee!

I think the plan that will work for someone is the one they tweak to make it work - that's the long term secret.

Sounds like what you're doing is working for you, that's great
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #15  
~jus' being me~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahinparis View Post
I think the plan that will work for someone is the one they tweak to make it work - that's the long term secret.
I second that And sometimes it will change for each indivdual over the course of their life . . . I just continue to make sure that what I am doing resonnates with me and feels 'easy' . . . for me thats always a good indicator that I am on the right track.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote