Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 03:18 PM   #16  

*rolls the two cents pokeball*

Alice Hoffman. she is possibly one of the most amazing authors i've ever read. her stories are heartwrenching, either joyfully or sorrowfully. i ~finally~ found a copy of Practical Magic, and will start that when i'm done with the one i'm on. (Property Of) however, i think that The River King and Here on Earth are maybe her best two works to date.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #17  

Wink

I have never read anything by Alice Hoffman. I have River King in my pile of TBR books, but so far it has just been sitting there as I did not know of anyone who had read it. It is good? Who else do you like to read? I think I also have Practical Magic by her way, way down in my TBR list.
Is the book Planet of the Apes really better than the movie. My little store here has the pp on sale for $1.00, and if it is good may blow a whole dollar on it. Caci
Old 04-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #18  
Must Shrink.

I loved the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebald (Sebold??).

Hominids (SF) by Robert J. Sawyer was excellent, plus Humans. I await the 3rd one!

The Red Tent was excellent. Forget who wrote it. About the women from the 1st testiment, and their perspective of life at that time.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card, a twist on the Sleeping Beauty tale.

I'm reading My Lover's Lover now, it's kind of bizarre.

See ya!

Lam
Old 04-14-2003, 10:28 AM   #19  
Searching

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander Smith

The story of Precious Ramotswe set in Batswana, Africa. Very clever with an understanding of culture and why we should enjoy the simpler things in life. I highly reccomend this book!

Good to Great
A discussion of what makes Level 5 CEO's based upon years of research. This is really good and if your in business with any ambition I have to recommend this.

Good in Bed
I think people have brought this book up before. Total chick book, but the main character is fat and the only time she gets thin is under duress. She comes to appreciate her body and her life.

I have been sucking the books down as of late. I think I am mentally putting off studying for my WWT exam and the building of a pump is BORING reading. . The test is on Thursday and then I need to do my homework on Safety Loss Control. Fun, Fun!

Miss Chris
Old 04-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #20  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Science Fiction/ Fantasy

-The Onion Girl by Charles De Lint - It's about fantasy artist who is struck by a car and dreams of visiting her fantasy world. Very character driven.
-The Good Omen by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Very funny book about the apocolypse featuring a demon and an angel who have become good friends over the centuries they have been waiting for it to happen.
-Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Dick. Novelette that Bladerunner is based on. Classic.

I'm reading Empire Falls right now. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #21  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 320/200/150

Height: 5'7"

I love to read, but unfortunately with my busy life and this small place, I rarely find the time and the quiet at the same time. The last book I read was The Poisonwood Bible, and it was excellent! I have The Red Tent from the library, along with a could hiking/backpacking books. Just have to find the time to read them.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:08 PM   #22  

I'm re-reading Fall on Your Knees, by Anne Marie Macdonald right now. The first time I read it, I tore through it so fast... it's just one of those books. You have to see what's going to happen next. I'm going to take my time this time, and soak up the details

I'm a huge fan of Wally Lambs books, She's Come Undone, and You Know This Much is True. Amazing, Amazing books.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #23  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I have a few more suggestions. A few books I have read in the past and liked:

Seance for a Vampire by Fred Saberhagen. Sherlock Holmes and Count Dracula are cousins. Very strange, but not the first book in the series. I didn't have too many problems reading it, but have not found the first book yet.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. Very strange book about a very strange house.

In Country by Bobbie Ann Mason. About a Vietnam Vet after the war.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. Very strange, silly book. This one I didn't exactly read, I had it read to me. Yes I was an adult at the time, and so was the person reading it to me. I know it sounds weird, but we have a weird relationship.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #24  
Must Shrink.

Lost my post. Eaten somehow...

Anyway. I was writing about how I like Charles de Lint as well, but haven't read the Onion Girl. I'll have to get it from another branch...

I've just started a book by Barbara Wood titled The Blessing Stone. So far it's good.

I've heard that Fall on Your Knees is really brutal.

Rusholme Road is excellent, as is Crow Lake, Kit's Law and Latitudes of Melt. All Canadian I think, most about Eastern Canada except Rusholme Road which is about Chatham Ontario where the Underground Railroad ended.

I just finished a Genre Fiction Reader's Advisory course, and I had to read lots of genres (like romance, western, crime, etc.) that I don't usually read so now I'm on a reading binge of what I want to read, not what I have to read or should be reading.

Today it is freezing rain and I'm going to curl up on the couch with my book, an hour and a half walking in the nasty weather exhausted me.

Lois
Old 04-17-2003, 10:35 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I have one for you I just started today... I will let you know how it goes... it is called

How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex.

Ohhhh the grief!!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 08:25 AM   #26  

Height: 5'-2"

That reminds me, Amy. We've got a book called, "How to Stay Lovers While Raising Your Kids". Bought it 12 years ago. Still haven't had time to read the damned thing.

Oh, and we've got "The Joy of Sex" around somewhere. Those drawings don't do much to stimulate me.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #27  

Fall on your knees is brutal I like it, but a lot of people I've talked to about it didn't.

Amy! *LOL* My parents didn't talk to me about sex. They bought ME the book. A pop up book. I am SO not kidding. I still have it too. Traumatic.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #28  

I am new to the site. I posted a newbie notice on one of the other threads. Maybe that was not the right way of introducing myself.

However, when I saw the "book club," I knew I had found the right thread. I am an English teacher and avid reader. I have also written a science fiction novel (unpublished, but maybe that will change this summer!). I just started a murder mystery with a southern heroine yesterday. I have about 16 pages done, and I like her so far.

I read mostly science fiction--and I'll read anything sci-fi that's $1 or less at a yard sale or on eBay. I particularly like Larry Niven, Lois McMaster Bujold, and C.J. Cherryh.

As for personal information: I am 35, 5'8", and weigh 228 pounds. I found out about 7 months ago that I am a type 2 diabetic. I am finding it hard to lose weight with diet alone. I have an immune system disorder that prevents me from doing much exercise. I've got one of those no-impact machines on order, though, and hope to be able to use it. Whew! I'm long-winded tonight!

Angela
SW: 228
1st goal: 220 by 20 May
2nd goal: 212 by 20 June
3rd goal: 199 by 01 AugAngela
Quote:
THE FATE OF POETRY IS TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE WORLD IN SPITE OF HISTORY--DEREK WALCOTT
Old 04-18-2003, 11:34 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

OH MY GOSH>>>>> Sock Queen is from ALABAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know anyone from Alabama but me knew how to use a computer Really just kidding.... Hope you plan to stick around this is a great group of people who all walk different paths. They are the best support group ever.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:40 PM   #30  

I am a advid anne rice fan so I have read all her stuff and love it, I saw someone mention white oleander..I really liked that book...the movie was ok, but i liked the book better
my all time favs are the mists of avalon and the preistess of avalon and the forest house and the lady of avalon..that whole series there

i just read one called butterfly..i can not think of the author and right now i just bought a book at the lil used book store today..
and i dont know where i put it..lol
and can not think of the name of it..but i will report back if its any good its kinda a fantasy type book I think
i really never read fantasy type novels untill the mists of avalon and then i got soo obbessed with that book i actually wanted to go to the uk and find avalon and everything else..LOL

i still do secertly i just dont talk about it as much cuz ppl thought I had kinda lost it..lmao
Closed Thread