Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 06:18 PM   #76  

Height: 5'-2"

Gee, my sister and I played with our barbies until we were about 16! Actually, we used to build fantastic houses for them out in the barn. (our teacher-parents had a hobby farm. damned cow.) I think that's the only reason we enjoyed it. We never actually PLAYED barbies, we were simply their architects.
I only had one "real" barbie. So naturally my daughter had approximately 40.

We just threw out the game Life. It was falling apart. Careers is good, too.

That's great news about DS, Den!! That was SCARY!!

Yes, some of my perfume dolls were on necklaces.

Yeah... that foot thing... Footsie, Kat? The bell thing on a rope with a thingy that you put around your ankle? That was fun.

Soozie, for goodness sakes... put the darned kid DOWN!!!
Is he cute?

How about Fuzzy Felts? I had a ballet one, the circus, ...

I was just thinking... you could probably KILL someone with those Klick Klacks. Swing them around your head a few times and let them go. Whang!
Old 12-23-2002, 09:15 PM   #77  
the kid's counting on me!

Yeah, they took click-clacks off of the market because the original ones were made of glass I think and they could shatter. apparently it was a "put that down you could put your eye out with that thing" that came true.

I loved barbies. I had a few between me and my sisters. We shared. But, we never had all of the fancy clothing or other gear. We built their homes out of blocks and whatever we could scavenge around the house.

I remember Chrissy with the button on her back that made her hair grow. But, I never had her. I had alot of Dawn dolls too. They were like miniature barbies...anyone remember them? Or Flatsy Patsy? Or little kiddles?

I loved the Monkees, and the Partridge Family, and Love American Style, and the show about the brothers who lived in Seattle? Does anyone remember what that was called..." the bluest skies you've ever seen in Seattle. And the air is fresh and clean in Seattle...like a beautiful child, growing up free and wild...etc."

The hot guys were Bobby Sherman, Davey Jones, and David Cassidy.
My mom made my clothes too. I always wanted "store bought" dresses. But, mostly had to settle for stuff mom made...like cordoroy jumpers that were really short...I remember in kindergarten or first grade I would line up my dresses in my closet and pick the shortest one to wear each day. Short was in baby!
The mini skirt was groovy, far out, cool, and well...very groovy baybee.

Peace!

When I was in first grade they changed the rules and girls were able to wear pants to school. But, if you wore a skirt that looked too short you had to go to the principal's office and raise your arms. If your underwear showed you had to go home and change. Also sometimes they said your skirt had to be as long as your finger tips if you held your arms down to your sides...

We had Life, and Careers, and Monopoly. And who could forget Twister.
We bought chocolate bars at the neighborhood drug store for ten cents...then fifteen...then a quarter.

I loved the Beatles. And war wasn't good for plants, children, and other living things...or something like that. And peace signs were really groovy.

Peace still is a pretty groovy concept...so, Peace girls.
I'm a bit off program with my eating...up a pound today.
Yuck. Haven't been to the gym since last Monday....
uh oh!
Love, Susan
Old 12-23-2002, 09:28 PM   #78  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Wow!! I HATED the Partridge Family. I thought they were fake rock. I liked Janis Joplin and Joe Cocker. (AND the Beatles of course!!!) and Steppenwolf and The Guess Who. I thought I was a revolutionary/hippy chick!!! I wore the minis and pants (bell bottoms!!) to school, along with a leather headband that had fringe hanging down the sides of my face, and also an over-sized long dress!!
Old 12-23-2002, 09:40 PM   #79  

Height: 5'-2"

I LOVE Joe Cocker. He is so cool.

Yeah, I wore a headband, too.

In grade three I had these cool orange plaid bell bottoms with cuffs. I used to love picking the lint out of the cuffs. Weird.

I was the first one in my high school to narrow my pants. I used to take all my jeans in. Punk was coming in. And I used to wear my dad's ties to school.

Every Friday night my family used to watch All in the Family and Tommy Hunter. My dad used to buy a bag of "broken bars" for the evening. Bulk chocolate bars.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:03 AM   #80  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hey! I had that Chrissy doll when I was a kid...I think my mom bought it for me just because it was one of the few dolls on the market with red hair

We used to play Payday, Trouble, Sorry! Scrabble, Yahtzee etc.

Ellis- I was one of the first kids in my middle school to wear "drainpipe" jeans when everyone was still wearing flares! I also wore black and purple a lot and people kept coming up to me and asking me if I was a punk rocker as apparently wearing those two colors together made you one I was one of the first people in my high school to have my ears double pierced-a big deal back then.

Ah high school in the 80's! Big hair, metal studded arm bands, putting you hair up with soap, static and a lot of hairspray, streaking it with food coloring bleaching your jeans, listening to the Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Iggy Pop, Duran Duran, Bauhaus, the Clash (alas Joe Strummer died last night ), B-52's, Devo, etc.
I got to see the Clash live

David Bowie was hot! Robert Smith had the coolest hair! Devo were nerd cool, Billy Idol was sneeringly cool-looked good in leather Nina Hagen was scary yet fascinating, ah the memories...
Old 12-24-2002, 02:44 AM   #81  
a brave new me...

Wink Hehehe....

Mauv, I think we would have probably hung out together in high school. I graduated in 1989 and was quite the rebel... back when there still was such a thing. The 80's were so bad how could I NOT have been a rebel? I remember wearing vintage clothes (few people did back then) and all black and combat boots with skirts and dying my hair bright red and shaving it and having multiple ear piercings (six total... way over the top back then) and listening to all the same music you listed. What about New Order, early U2, Depeche Mode, Psychadelic Furs, Violent Femmes, Butthole Surfers, Sex Pistols, and of course The Smiths. I still love all of that music. We would hang out at the local Big Boy and drink pots of really bad coffee and smoke cigarettes and discuss politics and religion and society and everything wrong with the world and Ronald Reagan until the wee hours of the night. Ah... those good old days that produced us members of the cynical and jaded Generation X.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:38 AM   #82  
a work in progress...

That show was "Here Come the Brides," Soozie...I LOVED Bobby Sherman!!! But the Beatles and Bob Dylan were my favorites...and the Rolling Stones. I did love the Monkees too, the show more than the music, actually...I know soozie and any other baby boomers out there must have read Archie comics...with Jughead and Betty and Veronica...what about watching them on Saturday morning cartoons? and Josey and the kittycats? oh yeah! Did you ever see the movie, "Now and Then?" Those kids were the exact age I was, about 13 in 1971...another good one is "Stand by Me"...a trip down memory lane!

I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful holiday...have fun, relax, stay healthy, count your blessings...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
HAVE A COOL YULE!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 12-24-2002 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:10 PM   #83  

Hey Soozie, I remember when we were first allowed to wear pants to school - I was in 3rd grade (1970-71) and I got a pair of hip huggers with flares (very high low riders they would be today) & I was extremely proud of them! My very first pair of jeans.

In high school I really wanted pinstriped Osh Kosh overalls but my dad wouldn't let me wear overalls (I finally got some when I was 38 - ha ha! - haven't quite finished the teenage rebellion you see! When you are a very good girl in your teens, the rebellion never ends! Always unfinished business...always thinking oh gawd, why was I such a little patsy! )

David Bowie, Mauvais! Oh yes - loved his music (still do) and what a cute guy (ageing well too I think! not bald or anything, that's good!). In the 80s also: the Police, Steely Dan, Brian Eno ("King's Lead Hat" etc), the Clash, Devo, Elton John, Depeche Mode. Lots of others too.

Weak coffee and strong Jakartas. Really long heavy earrings, black T shirts, black anything (this in college - rebellion rumbling as best it could!). Sunglasses at parties (I remember being so pleased when the Corey Hart song came out - hey, I do that! )
Big jugs of cheap white wine. Yum yum. Staying up all night.

Now I'm lucky to stay up til eleven!

Kat, I did read Archie comics and I think I saw those cartoons too - Saturday morning was about the only time they had kids stuff on TV (or at any rate that is what I was led to believe!). But I only got comics when I was sick in bed! Sort of like Junket and St.Joseph's aspirin...

Lidian
Old 12-24-2002, 12:56 PM   #84  

YES!! I had forgotten Lidian, but I had a pair of overalls that I wore ALL the time!!! Anyone else remember Gary Glitter, Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, The New York Dolls (Junior High)......and Richard **** and the Voidoids, B52s, Talking Heads, Sex Pistols, Ramones (college)....did anyone else smoke clove cigarettes?
Old 12-24-2002, 01:00 PM   #85  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I still love the small of clove cigarettes! The still sell them! But since they are so much worse on the lungs than any other kind of smoking materials, I will pass! I am still looking for a good clove insence so I can smell it any ol time!
Old 12-24-2002, 01:03 PM   #86  

YUP!! The things i did to myself back then.......FOOD is now the drug of choice!!!!
Old 12-24-2002, 03:42 PM   #87  

Yeah, they are too strong for me too - anyhow I gave up smoking awhile back though I still miss it (I also liked light menthols). I always thought they put something funny in the unfiltered cloves...Clove incense sounds great - let me know if you find any, Flower! I can find cinnamon though.

I love the B52s - my friend said they played at her grad dance in college, how cool is that?! We just had some ole band from the college we were supposed to get excited about.

I liked Richard ****'s ex, Patti Smyth (I can't quite believe she is married to John McEnroe now, seems such a weird match!) & also Tom Petty ("Refugee"), Yes ("I'll be the round-about...") and Queen. My fave was Steely Dan though.

Den, when I think of some of the things I did back then I collapse in a mixture of helpless giggles and pure horror! Now I am a sedate fortyish chick all it takes for me to walk on the wild side is a second glass of wine and/or a box of Anton Berg chocolate liqueurs! Tee hee...

Lidian
Old 12-26-2002, 12:01 PM   #88  

Good Morning all,
I hope all are having a wonderfull holiday season. We had a beautiful white Christmas. DD is enjoying all of her new toys.

I'm still on the hunt for a new job but enjoying my time off with DD.

Well have to cut this short before DD deletes it for my.
MrsM95
Old 12-26-2002, 12:55 PM   #89  
the kid's counting on me!

Went to art school...of course they were smoking clove cigarettes...hated the smell of them...no, I only smoked the real thing...parliment lights!!! and lived on coffee...no wonder I didn't have a weight problem then.

Yeah, thanks Kat, it was Here Come the Brides...how totally un alternachickish, that would never fly today...or would it?

My wardrobe in college and then for years afterwards was black, black, black, more black and sometimes a small white item for an accent. Like a white t shirt under a black jacket with a black skirt or jeans. My boss at one job once asked me if I had anything with a color on it in my closet! I hadn't realized I had become so one demensional until she said that.

I loved wearing my favorite bleached out purple and blue demin skirt..it was long and full with my heavy black combat boots, my black top that fastened up the front with hooks and eyes...that was my favorite cool alternachicky outfit.

oh yeah, and you were right Ellis, I got the nasty virus. still recovering.
In fact writing this had exhausted me. Gotta go rest up now.
Wish I was joking. Good news. Lost six pounds in two days...anyone want me to breathe on a tissue and mail you the germs...oh, sorry for the sick humor. We all know this kind of weight loss is very temporary and remember this is a Healthy Weight Loss!!!!!!! Forum.
Love, Soozie
Old 12-27-2002, 09:16 AM   #90  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

We used to smoke Turkish cigarettes from a specialty smoke shop.
They were long, black and thin with silver colored paper at the filter. They looked cool and I supposed we thought we looked cool smoking them at the local cafe over a cup of java while reding Nietze, Kurt Vonnegut or a book of poetry

I actually had an antique silver and ebony cigarette holder and a silver cigarette case that I used to use.

I usually wore black and most of my clothes were vintage bought from secondhand shops or the Salvation Army stores. I still have a few of my dresses in storage and I have a small collection of velvet pillbox hats that I can't seem to part with. I have a black feather skullcap too, it looks like something out of a film from the 40's.
Closed Thread