Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 09:56 PM   #61  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

OH!!! Ellis, I DEFINITELY want to come visit if your sweetie-pie can make shwarmas AND Indian food!!! Talk about having a hubby who is a keeper!!!

I had an erector set too. WITH A MOTOR!!! it was great.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:35 PM   #62  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

What about a Spirograph, now there was a gift!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:00 AM   #63  

Height: 5'-2"

Den, my sister and I had a Hot Wheels set, too! That was one thing about my dad. He still refuses to show me how to use the chain saw ("I don't want you to HURT yourself! I'll cut the wood at the cottage myself!" 77 year old man. ), but he firmly believed that his daughters were capable of anything that a boy was.

Always wanted a spirograph. Actually, I've had to live vicariously through my children. They've had a spirograph, a "Lite Brite" set, and bunk beds...

I have something called "Magnetic Mary Lou". It's a paper doll with magnets. I'm sure it's worth a fortune, and I refuse to get rid of it. Besides, I kind of like it.

Lidian... those dresses were SHORT!! I have a picture of me in kindergarten. I'm wearing this gorgeous red corderoy dress that my mom made me with flowers embroidered on the front that my dad had drawn. I've got my arm raised above my head, and you can see my underwear!!

I remember in kindergarten... my teacher was tall and thin and beautiful, and she used to wear matching panties under her mini shirts. We loved her.

Hush Puppies... I LOVED mine!! And my North Star running shoes. They were the coolest.

I remember those ropy ribbons. They used to get sort of fuzzy after a while. Disgusting things. And those big "bobbles" that looked like coloured glass. My sister was wearing red ones once when we were sitting around a camp fire. I thought she was on fire, and started beating her frantically around the head. Poor kid. I think that was also the trip when I accidentally shut her fingers in the car door. With the door locked.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:02 AM   #64  

1971 - 6th grade - klick-klacks!

I got kicked out of school for a day because I brought mine on the bus!

yes, the spirograph was way cool - and I loved Battleship - I beat my brother every time - grrrls rule LOL

my brother got me back though - he decapitated my Barbie and dad tried to reattach her head by soldering it to the body.

It kept breaking
Old 12-23-2002, 10:15 AM   #65  

Oh yes, I had a spirograph too - loved it. I always wanted a Lite Brite. I think I had an Easy Bake oven - I know, you're supposed to remember about these things but my memory is very dim here! Those cakes you could make were mighty thin - like a cookie really!

Klick klacks - what are those Terri? They sound very 70s which I like! Like flip flops, which my mom and I wore at the beach...

When I was a teenager buying makeup I remember the lovely gooey orange lip gloss and brick-red eyeshadow (and slime green eyeshadow) I used to think was so sophisticated! And an "L" on a chain around my neck, so groovy!

Later on, the earrings I wore in the 80s - when I look at them now I can't beleive I ever wore anything so heavy. They were like little purple boulders and entire chandeliers. No wonder I can only stand wearing stud earrings now!

Lidian
Old 12-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #66  

Height: 5'-2"

Klick klacks!! Those were so cool!! Two balls on a string. Like a perpectual motion thingy.

Remember the ball games we'd play against the wall at school? You'd have one of those super bouce balls. You'd have to go through all kinds of steps with it. Between both legs, one leg up, turn around and clap your hands...

And buck-buck!!

And skipping!!
Old 12-23-2002, 10:56 AM   #67  

Oh yeah - now I remember klick klacks! Thanks Ellis!

I loved playing jacks too. But when I tried to teach my girls how, I had forgotten how to. And doing all the tricks with the pink rubber Spalding ball. And jump rope - double Dutch! I think I did that too. The girls were impressed but I don't think they believe me!

Lidian
Old 12-23-2002, 11:23 AM   #68  

I LOVED Spirograph!

Ellis-YES!! Hot Wheels were great!! I'm not much into cars in real life, but those things were so cool. I recently saw a VIPER, and it looks like a Hot Wheels car!!!! I wouldn't buy one even if I had the money, but it sure brought back some great memories!!

Make-up....I wore black nail polish on my toe nails in 7th grade!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 11:33 AM   #69  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I want a spirograph! I had one too. I loved my litebright. Boys definately don't like them. Or mine didn't when I got them one. I loved colorforms too. I love fuzzy posters that you color too. I never got into barbies when I was young, but I have one now. She isn't a barbie but a new generation doll with the coolest hair and bongo drums!!!! I loved my easy bake oven. Things were so much easier then!
Old 12-23-2002, 12:18 PM   #70  

Default !

oh colorforms!! I loved colorforms! they were great for bringing in the car on long trips hehe - this is fun, isn't it?

When I was a preteen, I used to hang out with two girl cousins, who were my age. We would save our money for:

Partridge Family albums
David Cassidy posters
Love's Baby Soft Musky Jasmine cologne
Bonne Belle Lipsmackers
little pots of lip gloss (was that Mary Quant? cool Brittania?)
skirts that had zip off hems to make them into miniskirts
Young Miss magazine
Seventeen magazine
Tigerbeat magazine ( I used to enter all those contests! never won a damn thing! I so wanted a date with Sean Cassidy!)
platform sandals

oh I just remembered something about those perfume dolls - you could also get them on necklaces or as pins? right?

Terri - thanks for the memories or as DH says: "thanks for the mammaries" he can be bad sometimes
Old 12-23-2002, 02:56 PM   #71  
the kid's counting on me!

girls, babysitting for my nephew so writing with one finger. he won't let me put him down will write more later
Old 12-23-2002, 03:52 PM   #72  
a work in progress...

Oh! I just caught the tail end of this...no time to go back and read it all, as much as I want to!!

I LOVED COLORFORMS! I had forgotten about them til someone just mentioned them! And Barbies! Except I didn't have the cool one with the pony tail, I had the won with the short brown bubble head 'do. (That was where friends with lot o' barbies came in handy..."let's TRADE today!") But I did have a Tressy...the doll whose hair grew when you pushed the button on her belly! I definitely lived vicariously through my daughter with all the Barbies that I bought her!

What about Operation? and Mouse Trap? and Clue? oh yeah and the Magic 8 ball?

My arms were SO bruised from those klick klacks! Who remembers Footsie? Some people called it Skip-it...

Boy, I could go on and on...this is fun! Must get back to house work...grrr...

Last edited by katrinabgood; 12-23-2002 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:54 PM   #73  

My friend had Tiger Beat magazine, and 16 magazine - I remember the Bay City Rollers were in there a lot! And my older cousin had Partridge Family paperbacks. And other cousins had all the Monkees LPs (so I imbibed the pop culture through them you see - my mother would've never let me have all that cool stuff!!)

In the 80s I liked purple glitter polish and purple streaks that washed out, in my hair. (I had my rebellion a little late, ha ha )

I used to stay up to see Monty Python at 10:30 at night, when I was about 12. I guess my parents thought it was OK cuz it was British! Then the next morning my friend and I would compare notes on the Python we thought was the cutest - she liked Eric Idle, I liked Michael Palin (still think he's cute!)

Lidian
Old 12-23-2002, 03:57 PM   #74  

I loved the game LIFE too, although we never had it.

NEWS: DS#2 is NOT allergic to peanuts, which makes us BOTH very happy!!!
The test came back negative. Maybe next time he smells peanut butter he won't stress out and freak out the teacher!!! He spent a week thinking he'd never be able to eat Thai or Chinese food again, PLUS had blood drawn!!!
(He thought he could be allergic to peanut butter but not peanuts!!!)
Old 12-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #75  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Woo Hoo! That is excellent news Den!

Let's see. I was a little kid in the 80s. We had Colorforms, a LightBrite (Actually the boy was going to get me a Lightbrite Cube for Xmas this year, but couldn't find one), Rubik Cubes, Care Bears (Which I did get from the boy this year), an ET doll, She-Ra, Star Wars toys, and my favorite game - Hungry Hungry Hippos.
I never did get into the whole Barbie thing. My sisters had them, but I never owned one.

My first concert was the Monkees, but it was the 20th anniversary tour (1987).
Closed Thread