Old 12-13-2002, 12:10 PM   #47  

Sojo,

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Let us know if
there's anything we can do.

Sabrina
Old 12-13-2002, 12:26 PM   #48  
a brave new me...

Default Thanks everyone...

I'm feeling a little more at peace with things today... although I'm sure tomorrow at the funeral it will be very difficult. Tonight we are heading down to my parents to stay over night. My sisters and their families will all be there so I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I am blessed with a very close and loving family. Can't wait to hug all of my nieces and nephews.

I am also blessed to have known two great-grandparents and both sets of grandparents. My father's grandparents are just in their 70's so hopefully I will have many more years with them around.

On Sunday my sister's baby boy is getting baptized... so we have a funeral on Saturday and then a Baptism on Sunday. Such is the cycle of life I guess... death and birth.

Last edited by Sojourner; 12-13-2002 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:21 PM   #49  

Height: 5'-2"

Sojo, I'm glad you're feeling a little better today. Hugs and prayers for tomorrow. How wonderful that you have such a large, loving family. You truly are blessed.

On another note, I just received an email from my sister regarding little Dougie. He had the operation yesterday, and ... I don't know if this is true or not... my sister was going to go into the hospital to see him tonight, but apparently he's going HOME this evening! Doesn't seem possible... either there's been an error in communications, or there's been a freakin' miracle!!
According to his brother, Dougie has "staples in his head".

Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:35 PM   #50  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wonderful news, Ellis! Hugs to all.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:16 PM   #51  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

That is very exciting Ellis!

I am glad you are feeling ok Sojo. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

I miss my grandmother. She passed away in January one week before her birthday. She was my last grandparent. My grandfather died over 6 years ago. I live in my grandparents' old apartment and I got a Christmas card today for my grandmother. All I could do was call my mom and tell her. Now she is going to write the woman a note to let her know.

My other grandmother died when I was 12. I never knew my other grandfather. He died exactly 1 month before I was born.

squeak

Last edited by squeaker; 12-13-2002 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:34 AM   #52  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

Oh Sojo, I'm so sorry about your Grandma. I lost my Grandma in Dec. of 1995, so I know how you feel. I was very close to my grandma, she snuck in to watch me be born (I was born at the end of the 60s when no one but the hospital staff could be in delivery) She watched me through the window in the door, and almost got kicked out of the Hospital. We were extremely close thereafter. It's hard I know, but we love you and are here for you.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:29 AM   #53  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Oh Ellis
That is fantastic news, and at CHristmas time too. What a miracle. Will be praying for you, your sister, Dougie and his family.
I will be thinking and praying for you and your family today too Sojo. It will be a very tough day, but remember what I said earlier, Celebrate her life. Think of all the wonderful things you did together and let her love flow through you and into you loving family.
Big hug
Virginia
Old 12-14-2002, 11:54 PM   #54  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Sojo-I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My Dad's Mom died just over a year ago, and I still miss her. But it is good to know that they won't have to suffer any more. My Grandmother stayed a bit too long, and it was very difficult for her AND the family at the end. Your grandmother is part of who YOU are, and she will always be there inside you.

Ellis-Good news about Dougie!!
Old 12-15-2002, 10:13 AM   #55  

ok, I just need to get this out, it has been giving me anxiety fits all weekend - I found out on Friday that I need another root canal - and fast - so I'm going on Wed.

In and of itself, this wouldn't be all that bad - but this is my 3rd one this year!

And the other 2 were performed by a dentist who ran a little shop of horrors - no lie - he was recently accused of drinking on the job. I got his name from a list of dentists who take emergencies - be ware of those in the future. He slammed my head on the chair when I jumped in pain.

I am going to a different dentist this time - but anxiety level is very high since this will be the first procedure since Dr. death.

if someone knows a way to calm down, please let me know.

thanks, terri
Old 12-15-2002, 01:38 PM   #56  

Okay Terri, this is all I've got for you... I don't suppose this will help, but when I started reading your post my mind leapt ahead at the word "anxiety", and I immediately thought, "my god... Terri has cancer... we'll have to do some heavy-duty praying".
And then I read the rest of the sentence, and I know it's not huge consolation, but ****... it COULD always be worse, right?
Besides, you've dumped Dr. Death, and your next one will be a dream in comparison. And just think... you get to keep your own teeth! What **** having to put them in a glass of water beside your bed every night!? I can't even imagine!!
Hugs, hon... you'll be fine...
Old 12-16-2002, 05:12 PM   #57  

Thanks for your moral support, Ellis. I really appreciate it.

Normally I wouldn't be so worked up about it, but my last experience was so dreadful that I believe I 've developed a dental anxiety.

I called the new dentist's office today. They mentioned that I could consider having nitrous oxide sedation during the procedure.

I was really hoping to just get a valium - I have no idea how the nitrous is? I wonder if it is just another thing for me to get nervous about.

Thanks for listening to my phobia.

Terri
Old 12-16-2002, 05:28 PM   #58  

Couldn't you just have a couple of shots of whiskey before you go in?
I don't know anything about the nitrous. I confess, I haven't been to the dentist in about 3 years. I; too, have a dentist phobia.
Call them back and tell them you're going to freak out if they don't give you some heavy drugs and some kindly service. They hate people freaking out around their equipment.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:37 PM   #59  
a brave new me...

Isn't the nitrous just "laughing gas"? Go for it... last time I did that I think my body actually levitated off of the chair. I was VERRRRY relaxed.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #60  
Hot Stuff

Sojo, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Grandmothers are special people. Find a really nice photo of her, even if it's a snapshot - have it enlarged, and put it in a beautiful frame where you can see it every day.

Den, Mauv, and ellis...I'm sorry I missed the goings-on with your family and friends, but I'm sending good vibes to all for continued healing.

Terri, I had my first root canal a few months ago. It wasn't half as bad as I imagined it would be. Not that I'd like to have another, mind you...but I know I'd survive it. I can't believe that dentist treated you like that! You have every right to speak up for yourself, and a well-placed elbow to the ribs always lets 'em know you're not liking what they're doing. When I go in for work now, every time I remind them what I do or do not want done to me. Like bite blocks...hate 'em...no room in my mouth for them. (they're those things they put in to prop your jaw open....you're supposed to "rest" your jaw on them) They argue with me, especially when I had the root canal that I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth open that long. I just said "so I'll close it. NO bite blocks." Those things hurt my jaw more than having to keep it open on my own. I'm lucky that my dentist puts his patients' comfort first....every 30 seconds or so they ask if you are alright. I finally told him he would know beyond a doubt if I was NOT alright. Find yourself a good dentist after this emergency is taken care of....when you have the time to check them out and don't NEED treatment....it makes a world of difference. I am a HUGE dental-phobe, but once I get in the chair I know I'm in good hands and it makes it so much easier. Ask your friends/family/colleagues for recommendations. You'll do find on Wednesday...better to get it done now than suffer later. Hey, ever do "block breathing"? It's a method of distracting yourself from anxiety. Imagine you are "drawing" a square with each breath....inhale (draw top line left to right)....exhale (draw right side top to bottom)....inhale ( draw bottom line right to left)...exhale (draw left side bottom to top).....see, you're "block" breathing. I use it often - works for me. Of course, you can start on the left side or bottom or whatever works for you and follow the square around.

Ok, I'll stop babbling now.
Closed Thread