Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Our weather here in PA has grown colder, and I now have a cold from running around in the cool rainy weather. As I get older, my colds hang on longer.

DH's shingles have settled down a bit. He does get pain if he puts his cell phone in his shirt pocket, which is right over the spot where he has the shingles. So I tell him "Don't do that!"

Judy, I'm sorry to hear about the elderly couple who passed away. It seems that happens alot, as if one of them is struggling to stay here for the other one, then when one passes, they are free to let go, too. Sounds like they had a long life.

Karen31, it sounds like you are spending some good time with friends and family. Congrats on the weight loss. Sometimes it happens when you least expect it.

Mary, hope DH is doing well. You do a good job at keeping up on your exercise. That's important, especially as we age. I tend to snack on the wrong things, too. How have you been feeling otherwise?

Gayle, for some reason, I do better eating out than I do at home. I know the menus of most of the restaurants we go to and plan ahead what I'm going to order to stay on plan. At home, I cook according to what DH likes and that's not always what I should be eating. Also, it's hard to cook for 2 people so there's always leftovers and I end up going back for seconds. Just take 1 day at a time. When you stay on plan for one day, it gives you self satisfaction and encourages you to do it again the next day.

Hope things improve with DH. We bicker back and forth...nothing major. When I talk, he says I talk too soft and he can't hear me, but if I speak up he tells me not to yell at him. BUT he says his hearing is perfect. LOL

Tam, glad to hear you got some time to yourself. I'm sorry to hear about the customer who's cancer is back. It's hard not to get attached to people you see on a regular basis.

Donna, glad to hear you're relaxing and enjoying your retirement. Hope you're pain level has gone down.

Was it you who recommended GoneGirl to me a while back? I read it and enjoyed it, but now that they're talking about the movie I can't remember the story, so I ordered it from the library and will read it again.

Cajun, I don't understand how people can just drop off animals like that. It breaks my heart to hear that. All they want is for someone to feed them and give them some love.

If that lamp is a good one, maybe it can be fixed. Do you know anyone who could rewire it? Or is it already in the trash? LOL
Old 10-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #62  

Height: 5'3"

Last night I lost a post I typed and didn't want to type it again. Today is another busy day. I had an appt with the dermatologist for my scalp and ears..still itching. More ointment ..so now 3 kinds..and more shampoo so now 4 medicated shampoos plus she said I can use regular shampoo after if I want. I don't know whether I will though as I'm having no problems with the medicated shampoos so far. Sounds like I'll be spending much of my day shampooing and apply ointments!

This afternoon dh has a pre-surgery appt to go over his meds and review everything I guess. We have to actually take in his meds, not just a list.

Went out to eat last night at a place we've enjoyed before. I got a sloppy Joe and an apple nut salad but I didn't like it much so only ate about 1/2 and shared a dessert with dh.I should have gotten the hamburger I liked last time. Our son ordered a platter that was to have coconut chicken as part of it...and there was no chicken. He asked them about it and found out they had just run out of the chicken, so they only charged him 1/2 price, plus said they'd also bring him a chicken breast. He told them just to bring him another beer and that would be fine. Instead they brought both the chicken breast and the beer! We already had a Groupon Voucher discount so this turned out a pretty inexpensive meal at least! He took the chicken breast for his lunch today.

Wannabe - Glad your dh is feeling better. Shingles are irritating even when they aren't downright painful. I'm feeling fine. I've still missed a lot of gym time this week because of appts and am still very stiff but trying to do my stretches if nothing else.

Cajun - My, you had an exciting day!! You are doing very well with your eating, I'm proud of you!

Judy - Hope your pain is easier today. One of my problems is that we do eat out too often. I worked in home care for about a year in 40s and really enjoyed it. You really get to know your clients. Later when I worked in rehab center/nursing home, some of them were my patients there too. Sorry about the lack of sleep...can sure relate, however I usually get my best sleep after 5-7 am..that's why I tend to sleep in. Thank God I'm retired and can but it does limit how much I can get done in my day. I was awake from 3:30 on this morning...maybe have drifted off a few times but not for long. Finally got up at 7 to take care of dog and stayed up to get ready for my appt.

Dh's eye is healed I think. Doc took him off the anti-inflammatory and he got a new prescription for his glasses. He actually has pretty good vision, better than mine. That eye is kinda droopy and tired looking and I think he will soon need surgery to lift the skin. It interferes a bit with his vision now. They have discussed this in the past but he forgot to mention it yesterday. FYI, he had what they called a diabetic stroke in that eye a couple years ago, it has healed from that but the lid has been kinda droopy ever since plus he's had two eye surgeries (for glaucoma and repositioning of his intraoccular lens) since then and I think perhaps all this plays a part in it.

TamTam - It's wonderful (though at times heart breaking I'm sure) that people share their lives with you. I'm sure you are blessing them more than you ever realize, by listening, hugging and praying for them.

Cajun - I did the same thing last night...lost my post...and was too tired to type it again. Hate when that happens! Enjoy the camping weekend! Thanks for your prayers for dh.

Karen3 - Me, a travel agent? LOL Well I do love to travel and you know I WAS a part-time travel agent for a little while back in my 40s. Too time consuming, too little money, too many complaining customers who didn't understand that the fares change constantly so the best fare you get for them today may not be the best tomorrow. Grrr...so I quit.

No I did not dance...although I'm sure Halo would have loved it. Too much to do, too tired. ..maybe next time.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #63  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, Goldens!

Gayle – hope things have calmed down at your house! Yes, thanks, I’m enjoying my retirement a lot.

Cajun - I don’t just sit around doing nothing. I’m busy all the time, even though I like being at home. No need to worry about me! How long will your boys be off hunting?

Judy – glad to see your post. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say!

CarolSue – hola! Yes, my pain level is down to zero! It’s wonderful! Was this bout of shingles as bad for your DH as the first one? I hope he’s over it soon (for your sake, mostly LOL)…. And, yes, I probably did recommend Girl Gone. I’ve heard that the movie is excellent, follows the book well, and is worth while.

Mary – is everything harmonious in your part of the world? You always seem content!

Nothing to report. Went to Mom’s for lunch, after getting her groceries. This works well, doing the shopping for her and then delivering it the same day. It is SUCH a boon to be able to walk in a grocery store again!

The day turned out much prettier than the WeatherFools expected. We had torrential gullywashers last night, but today is cool and dry.

I hope you all have a nice weekend. I have some social activities, but nothing wild! Later, lovelies!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Donna I'm sorry I misread your post. I thought you meant there was nothing to do and you liked it that way. I went back and read the post over and you said nothing exciting going on and you liked it that way. As women we have plenty to do in the house over and over. Sorry!!!!! My boys and dh will be back Tuesday night.
I'm enjoying the me time!!!!

Hugs
Cajun.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #65  

How about splitting a meal?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2itnow View Post
How about splitting a meal?

Hi 2itnow. Splitting a meal is a good idea and some restaurants allow you to do that. But most of the time DH and I don't like the same foods...that's why eating out works so well for us, we can each order what we like. I take my leftovers home for lunch the next day.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #67  

Good morning everyone! I got up late but slept fairly well. Got up to the guys in the front yard ...they had already cut down a small tree that grew bent to one side. We should have braced it earlier but didn't get to it and that was the result. So now our front yard looks so empty as everything is around the edges only. This tree was inside the grassy area. Dh always hated to mow around it, so I thought he would want to leave it bare but he is talking about planting a weeping willow our son gave us in it's place. They are now off to the dump and the dog and I are alone again. I have much to do...I am behind again with my housework due to all the appts. Esp need to clean out my fridge. Dh made sausage and peppers again for dinner last night. We were all tired last night so it was a quiet evening. Dh has two days to eat normally then Monday starts his low-fiber diet and drinking a special drink that is thought to promote healing. We went it for a pre-surgery appt yesterday and she went over all his meds, took his blood, did an EKG and and reviewed the whole surgical process...what will happen etc. not the medical stuff. In addition to the usual instructions, ..he has to take an antibiotic starting the day before and he has to take two anti-bacterial showers (chin to feet) before the surgery...one the night before and one the morning of. Guess this is because of the type of surgery. We have to be there at 5:30 am now. Ugh, I hate getting up early!!

Dh and I often share a meal too unless dh wants something different. He likes a lot of things I don't and I like him to get what he wants too. Many times he just compromises and eats what I want. If we split an entree, we usually order a salad or some other small thing to make the restaurant happier. Often we share that too and I still get less food than I probably would otherwise.

Donna - I'm surprised how much rain you and Karen31 are getting. Is that usual this time of year? Here where it usually rains much of the year, it doesn't seem like we've gotten much. It apparently did rain last night as noticed the ground is wet this morning. We don't usually get such heavy, torrential a you put it type rains...it's usually more a gentle but constant drizzling but of course there are exceptions.

Well back to folding laundry and other exciting things..

Last edited by maryea; 10-11-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #68  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Been kind of a quiet day here today. DH is on a mission to help DS in his search for a deal on a vehicle to replace his 11 year old car. It still runs ok, but eventually it is gonna start to need repairs, so DH is trying to help him find one before he gets in a fix.

It would have been a great day to get to talk to my sister ~ with no one around to interupt or what ever, but she had a headache so didn't call.

The other day, I bought ingredients for one of those recipes that came across Facebook. It was the Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls soup one. It came out pretty good. I made a couple additions/changes. I only made 1/2 a recipe ~ hated to make a big pot and then not like it. There was hardly any liquid to the recipe as it was written ~ so I doubled the amount of diced tomatoes it called for, for 1/2 a recipe ~ and it would only take 1/2 of and 8 ounce can of tomato sauce ~ I used 2 eight ounce cans and 1/4th cup*of water ~ I increased that to 2 cups. I accidentally used pork sausage that was in the freezer instead of ground turkey (the kind that come in those 1 pound rolls). That kind of gave it a little zip. People who reviewed the recipe said it was kind of bland, so maybe that mistake worked out ok. One of the reviewers said to give it more flavor, she used tomato soup instead of the tomato sauce. I didn't figure out how many calories it would be, but it didn't seem like it would be too bad. I like it and think I would make it again. Some people added rice to it, but I like it ok without that.

Been crocheting a little, watching TV and doing some of those online jig saw puzzles ~ just kind of relaxing.

I was looking at the local classifieds for a used exercise bicycle. I have a recumbent one, but it kills my back, so I am looking for an upright one. I found one, but don't know if it is still available or if DH will let me get it if it is. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Angry

Fidddle....I wrote a long note and decided to add some little icons and as usual my pc locked down and I lost the whole thing. So pretend you heard me...lov'ya k3

Last edited by Karen3; 10-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #70  

Didn't get much sleep again last night but it's still a beautiful morning and we are about to get ready to go to church. I cleaned the fridge really well yesterday...that thing was a mess! When we came home from our trip I saw there had been a bad spill in the bottom but I let it go as I was busy with other things. Kept thinking I'll get to it soon, you probably know how it goes. Well yesterday was finally (after a month!) the day, and oh, man, I shouldn't have let it set and dry so long. I worked so hard, was about to say lets go buy a new fridge (ours is only 25 years old at least), finally enlisted dh's help to remove some shelves that were crusted in there so tight I couldn't get them out. I don't know what it was but it was bad. Also something VERY stinky in the meat drawer...again not sure what it was and strangely I hadn't smelled it until then but it was terrible!! Lost some food too because it had seeped into the packages. Well as you can tell I'm not a perfect housekeeper but I usually don't let the fridge get that bad and hopefully never will again. I also mopped the kitchen floor. But that all took so long I didn't get much else done. My weight is still high but I did drop 1/2#.

Glynne - You recipe sounds good. Our son just bought a newer car. I think he got a very good deal. It is a 2014 but has 15K miles on it. Runs very nice and quiet. He didn't expect to find that new a car he could afford but we were praying. It is still under warranty. Even the dog can't hear him come home now. She used to start barking as soon as she heard his pickup but now only when he walks in as he always surprises her unless she is looking out the window.

Well need to shower and get ready. You all have a good Sunday!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

56 years tomorrow and I haven't killed him yet. They said it won't last. But as soon as I get super mad at him he does something sweet and we start all over again. Be back to morrow with an up date on our anniversary.....k3
Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #72  

Our temperature is supposed to reach 80 degrees today, and that is supposed to be the last of our warmer weather for the year. I'm wondering, because we haven't had indian summer yet.

Gayle, I hope you find the exercise bike you want. I have had 2 of them over the years and had to give them away because they bothered my back. I guess different people react differently depending on what type of back problem you have. A rower I had hurt by back also. I never tried a recumbent bike. I just figured that would hurt my back also. I do better with standing exercises, like the treadmill or elliptical but I hear that you are actually supposed to get on them for them to work!! LOL

Mary, we have a tree in our front yard that I want cut down. It was so small when we planted it, but since it has grown so much I now think it's too close to the porch, but DH likes it because he can sit on the porch without the neighbors across the street looking at him. LOL

Happy Anniversary, K3. 56 years! You grow accustomed to their good and bad points in that amount of time, and usually the good outweighs the bad.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #73  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy 56th Anniversary K3. That's a long time to live with someone. Why didn't they (parents?) think it would last?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Happy anniversary k3. Dh and I started dating 37 years ago today too.
Hope y'all have a great day and many more years to come.

Hugs
Csjun
Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #75  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy Anniversary to you and George, K3
Closed Thread