Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Morning all: Back at 'er after the excesses of the long weekend, eh? (That's the Canadian accent coming out, lol)

Here's hoping everyone feels strong & fresh and stays on their plan today...
Hugs to all, especially Karen...

Today I am running around taking the parents to the Lab for my Mom's blood tests (semi yearly) and we are getting their car windshield replaced - a yearly occurrence in an area that uses sand & gravel for road traction all winter. There's a big crack across it and the RCMP will pull you over and make you replace it anyway because it affects your vision through the windshield. It was a special order for Dad's favorite old Caddy and took a week to arrive and will take a couple hours to fit in & cure. We'll be having coffee and getting veggies at the grocery, and other little errands. Even though my parents live just a few homes away, we aren't in each other's faces very much - which is as it should be.

Liana
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #152  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone. It's a pretty day with no rain right now. It really poured for a little while last evening. Strange not getting so much rain as usual though.

Wannabe - I'm not giving up on my bs, I do think I can do better if I am tighter with my diet and be consistently careful. Consistency is always my problem and now it takes longer to get it down again after a few days of not eating right. That shows the advancement of the disease as before all I had to do was start eating better and my bs was fine again. And that inconsistency causes spikes which are lasting longer and which overtime do harm to the nerves. So mainly it is just that I am becoming resigned to the thought of a second med. Right now I just take Metformin 1000 mg/2x day. Yes another med will probably bring it down nicely. It is just that I hate takiing much meds and also two of the three, and probably the best, the doctor recommends are injectables, another thing I'm not happy about. But if I have to, I will.

Cana - That recipe is for eight servings. How much teaspoons is in a Stevia pkg? I use Stevia but always either only a teeny teeny bit in a spoon or 2 or 3 very very small drops from a dropper. So I wouldn't know how much to use for this recipe. I do like PB2 but haven't bought any recently.

Daisy kept us up awake a lot last night and I'm tired. I've done all the daily stuff and vacuumed the family room and living room. Want to clean my office today, maybe later on after a nap.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #153  

Hi everyone,its a beautiful sunny day here today.spent a good part of it outside soaking up the sun. we had such a nice easter,hope u all did too. enjoyed the easter service and all the cute kids in there new clothes. there was a little girl about 18 months old all decked out in a frilly dress, and her folks tried to keep her still but she kept going up to the front of the church and dancing to the music, everyone enjoyed her antics,she was just too cute. Maryea I didn't want to be on insulin but when I was recovering from surg they insisted that I be on it. it was not as hard or uncomfortable as I thought,and they have these insulin pens now where you test your sl and according to a chart you dial the number of units u need,use a sp needle and inject yourself by pushing the button on the top of the pen...just wanted to share that with you incase you need to use insulin. I was upset about it at 1st too,however my Dr said I was lucky that they had these methods now as in the past they didn't and now I can be healthy and live longer.. she had a point. sending you Thinking about u all,ttfn rosey
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Cajun, sounds like you had a wonderful family weekend. You will get back on track with your 1-1-1.

Mary, I agree with Rosie, if you have to take additional meds, insulin is the safest way to go. Many of the pills, other than Metformin, can damage your Beta Cells. Insulin does not. They have come out with a lot of new meds for diabetes, but I told my doctor that my insurance is very expensive for new brand name drugs, so I try to stick with generics whenever I can.

My husband is doing much better. He asked for an Egg McMuffin this morning. Not a very healthy choice, but I'm glad he's getting his appetite back. He has lost over 10 lbs, and I don't want him to get thinner than me! LOL
Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning. It's day 3 since Easter weekend and I've finally recovered. I have energy back. Good thing because the laundry basket can't hold anymore clothes. Easter decorations are picked up and saved until next year. We have been building wood steps for ds # 2 and just about done with that. Then ds#1 needs our help to build a lil awning off of his shed for his lawn mower. Then it will be time to go to our summer camp and start fishing. I'm ready to go. We've been home 2 months without camping. That's long enough. Lol
I'm struggling to get back to 1-1-1. It getting there but not quiet balanced yet.

Gotta get back to work.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #156  

Re: the Lab yesterday...
Yikes, we all forgot that it was a four day weekend (as far as medical services were concerned) so everyone who usually goes in on Friday or Monday, was there yesterday! The waiting room was totally full and we took a number and sat for 1 1/2 hours before it was Mom's turn for blood to be drawn for tests.

That meant lunch out as it was 11:30 before all was said & done. Wendy's for Asian Chicken Cashew Salad with spicy vinaigrette. Quite yummy & low in calories/carbs/fat. Then back home to pick up the other car, and grab the recycling and back to town again... didn't get home til 5 pm (after DH who was playing Solitaire on the computer, lol)

Cajun, I am jealous that you are headed out to camp again... a bit too cold here yet, friends of ours got snowed on this Easter weekend while out camping/quadding. I am getting spoiled as I age and like my camping warmer now. I enjoyed a vacation to Louisiana a few years ago (year before Katrina) & wouldn't mind getting back. Flew in to NO and after a while drove along the gulf to Pensacola, FL, visiting Mississipi, and Alabama coastlines as well. We had a great time there but it was in mid November and everyone was more relaxed - no whacko Mardi Gras tourism

Liana
Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #157  

NO!! no no...I have watched all four seasons of Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime...even paid for the last one and now there are no more...what shall I do I LOVE that show...it's your fault...Donna and I think Karen3 as you told me about it and now I'm terribly hooked! I hope they get another season available soon!

Ok, I'm feeling a little better since I got that off my chest...

Cana - Your Asian Chicken Salad sounds good. I haven't tried it yet.

Cajun - I'm also struggling in getting back in balance. I do fine and then spoil it by eating something else...and my weight is climbing.

Wannabe - I agree with you about insulin but I don't think I'm ready for it as I am apparently still producing insulin. However Byetta helps produce more so not sure how much I'm making since it was one of the drugs he suggested. But I think he suggested it more because it often helps people lose a few pounds. He keeps emphasizing that. Byduron is the same drug but is only taken once a week instead of daily. He has given me a choice of three...silex (pill), byetta (or byduron) and Victoza. I have done quite a lot of research and I don't like the sound of any of them, but I know some people really have done well with byetta/byduron. As far as losing weight they work similiar to fiber in that they keep the food in the stomach longer and make you feel full. This does not work for me with fiber no matter how much I consume! I guess being a former nurse makes me worry more about the drugs yet I also know when needed they are a God Send. So far I have had no problems with Metformin but know some people do. I'll get my labs done again in July. I asked the doctor about the med that Val takes for her second one..but he said he's not a fan of it. One thing that bothers me about taking more meds and definitely with insulin is that I have never had to worry about lows...if I take another med, that becomes a concern.

If I could just get my eating back to where it was when I was strictly doing 1-1-1, I might not even need more med because my weight was also falling. I start out each day doing it but then as the day goes on, start eating too much. Usually it's evenings but today I started in the afternoon! It is possible with all my overeating, I am burning out my pancreas and if so, I'll need Byetta or Insulin.

ETA: the oral drug is Starlix not silex...sorry.

Last edited by maryea; 04-24-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #158  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

No good news to talk about today, still having a hard time getting OP. Jeana are tight, no will power, migraine headache, what else can I complain about? And all of a sudden, I'm having all these ads automatically clicking on when I try to navigate this site.
I just got my computer back from getting it cleaned up of all kinds of junk and I accidently got a new problem. Search.conduit...a nasty search engine that took over my Google Chrome. It's not listed under the control panel/features so I can't uninstall it. I did a system restore, didn't work. Then I went into the guts of the computer and think, yes think it's gone. I restored the Chrome to the default and I'm crossing my fingers it'll stay.)
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Morning. The sun is shining. The birds are singing. But it's still cold! They predicted cold temps as far off as May 1 and 2. Enough already! We paid our dues.

Mary, I think you can get back on your 1-1-1. I too am afraid of the lows. My doctor put me back on Amaryl, which I was on at first diagnosis, but I only took it for a week or so until I got my readings back down and now I'm back to low carb and exercise to keep it there. Apparently I am still producing insulin. Amaryl also burns out your pancreas, and that's why I don't want to continue taking it, that and the risk of lows. I know it's not good to stop taking a med without notifying your doctor, but I test often, and my glucose is in a much better range than it was. I would rather give up the bread and pasta than stay on this med forever. Weight loss would help tremendously, but I lose very, very slowly. I worry about the drugs too, because I worked in a pharmacy. I read up about every drug I take and it can get scary. The side effects can be worse than the condition you're taking them for.

You have done very well in the past and I think you can do this. If not, you know the meds are available to help you.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #160  
Jacksonville, FL

Hello...are any of you here on Weight Watchers?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #161  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Bobbi ~ that search conduit thing sounds familiar ~ I think I saw that name pop up on my lap top when it started giving me problems. What is that and where does it come from. It seemed to be when I was using that Firefox (which I used to get 3FC after those problems we had getting on it back along). My computer would not let me get on Facebook at all, and other stuff seemed messed up too.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
What else can I complain about? And all of a sudden, I'm having all these ads automatically clicking on when I try to navigate this site.
I just got my computer back from getting it cleaned up of all kinds of junk and I accidently got a new problem. Search.conduit...a nasty search engine that took over my Google Chrome. It's not listed under the control panel/features so I can't uninstall it. I did a system restore, didn't work. Then I went into the guts of the computer and think, yes think it's gone. I restored the Chrome to the default and I'm crossing my fingers it'll stay.)
Hi Bobbi: that's what I had when I had to take my computer in on the 15th of this month. Pop up ads constantly even when clicking on any link. It's something Chrome is letting in (our IT guy told me). I have switched back to Explorer the newest version and I'm not letting it remember any passwords, usernames, etc. He also installed CCleaner by Piriform to clean out any internet shortcuts/links when I finish at the end of the day and shut down my computer. I click on, allow it to make changes (since I'm purging data it is possible to mine) and once clean & deleted, I re-clean to show 0 bytes cleaned out as insurance.

Darn it, I liked Chrome... now I'll wait until they fix this problem.

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 04-24-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #163  

Well I did a little bit better with my eating yesterday and hope to do even better today.

Wannabe - Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I would rather cut back on my eating then take the meds.. BTW it isn't only the drugs that can burn out ones pancreas but eating too many carbs can too. I hope I have not done that. Sometimes I forget that, but when I remember I tell myself I have to change before I do more harm. So the motivation is certainly there...the will power is not so good, but I keep trying. I think I've also been doing some emotional eating, but I think I've worked that out (with myself and God not the people involved) and I'm feeling better now. Sometimes I just get my priorities a little screwed and have to get back to the what is the main thing in my life. Our foundational pastor used to say, "Always keep the main thing, the main thing" and it is a good thing to remember.

Bobbi - I've had that same nasty trouble maker before but finally got rid of it.
Do you have ad blocker software? I did but still got this Conduit thing...I think probably from a website. I now have a website warner...it tells you when a website has had reports of problems. Some I know are ok, but if I'm not sure I exit.

Last edited by maryea; 04-24-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey friends. Today I'm 100% on 1-1-1. So far!! Just needed a kick in the rear. Nothing going on but work. I think we will be peeling crawfish either after work or after work tomorrow.

Mary I have never once thought about my pancreas being threatened with too many carbs. Makes me stop and think about what I've been doing all these years. I read on the 1-1-1 Facebook page that they are fixing to get a forum page up and running. That will be nice. Also she is having a live 1 hour question Monday at 5 pm.

Liana we love to camp hunt fish cook eat(that is why I have a weight problem). Lol. Did you get to enjoy and Cajun food while you were in New Orleans. I know they say New Orleans is known for its Cajun cooking but I can say with truth that it doesn't compare to our true Cajun food here in south Louisiana. It's a different version. Can't beat home Cajun cooking. New Orleans is not my most favorite place. Too crowded and too much crime. But most people enjoy New Orleans.

Dee Lou I'm not on weight watchers but I am on 1-1-1 and it's just about the same. Very balanced diet. Every thing is measured. But can be cooked any way you desire.

Bobbi I'm with you on the jeans being tight. Phew!! But I refuse to buy bigger again. I got rid of all my big sizes swearing I would never go back. Well if something don't happen real soon I'm going to be naked. Lol.

Carol sue glad to hear your dh is getting better.

Rosey are you still warm and soaking up the sun on your deck? How's the momma cave? Enjoying?

Gotta go. Hi to all I missed.
K3 where are you? Sure could use the yelling about now.
K31 praying for you and your darling Tim.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #165  

Cajun are you a diabetic? From what I have been taught it is only diabetics who can "burn" out their pancreas by overeating of carbs. However it is known that people who eat a high white carb diet...white bread, white rice, refined sugar and high fat diet are more likely to become diabetics in time. They seem to be more predisposed to it. I think in time they are going to find even more links to diabetes in this area. Fats also play a part in diabetes because fat makes it difficult for the insulin to get into the cells..that's the way my doctor described it. That's the trouble with diabetes...it is a metabolic disorder so everything and every part of the body can ultimately be involved!
Closed Thread