Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #406  

Height: 5'3"

Another busy day...guess there will be a lot of them from now on. Went to the gym late and missed my stretch class but did the machine workout. Stopped at the store on the way home for groceries for tomorrow. Found all but two things so went out later for them. Long talks with dh about whether to/how to travel this winter. Think I mentioned that due to his eye condition we will not be RVing...we will be time sharing...just not sure how long we'll be away due to money issues. We are hoping not to have the house issue much longer but we don't know so everything's kind of up in the air. I have made reservations and will need to cancel them or lose our credits soon so we have to make up our minds. We also got a guy to install the motor in the pool for the house we are selling. He is to do it Monday. Want the house all ready by Dec 1 to go on the market. We posted another ad for our rig, had a couple inquiries but no lookers. I suspect the inquirers were not legitimate. Every time we get two very similar inquiries and then nothing.

I finished up a couple loads of laundry I started yesterday and cleaned a little here and there. Tonight I'm making the rice stuffing and will let it chill for easy stuffing tomorrow. Also still want to mop my kitchen floor...and yes, I know it will only get messy again tomorrow as I cook...but I like a clean floor when I'm cooking!

We have never fully remodeled our little bathroom off the master bedroom ...all we ever did was get the cabinets and vanity resurfaced and the floor is now a mess! Actually it has been for quite a while but it's really getting to us now. Unfortunately all projects are on hold until we settle this house issue. However my dh couldn't stand it yesterdy, so he started cleaning out the floor where the tile was coming up and found it was very damp underneath...no rot yet but will be soon. So he scraped it all clean and has put down some tiles we had left over from the kitchen floor temporally. That kind of work is not so easy for him now with his bad eye, hard to see. The color of the tiles is not bad for the room though and he always wanted to use them. I wanted to keep them in case they were needed to repair the kitchen some day, but now I'm glad we could use a few at least. Man, that floor stinks from the dampness! He has a lamp in there drying it out so hopefully the smell will be gone soon.

Thought this was kinda cool and some of you might like it for ideas too.
http://www.takepart.com/30ways30days

You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Last edited by maryea; 11-23-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #407  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hope everyone has a Very Happy Thanksgiving! The people came to see the house again today and my brother called tonight that said we need to start packing-- we should have the written contract on Friday! We still need to look at the contract and make sure it is right and then find a place that we like. Which we have if we can get them to accept and offer on a contingency. Our closing is set up for Jan 13th! Going to get pretty busy around here!!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #408  

Bobbi, I want to come to your house, everything sounds so good and I bet everyone has a great time.

Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Be safe and enjoy.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #409  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Bobbi, your Thanksgiving boxes are adorable. I'm sure the GC will appreciate the cash and no one turns down candy, lol. Is that Pistachio/cool whip salad the one that's called Watergate Salad? I served it at a wedding shower once and have a friend who keeps calling me for the recipe.

Hi Marie. Glad to meet you. I'm sure we'll become GG friends. Have a good 4 day weekend.

redballoon, I once donated a pound of margarine to the local food bank for every pound I lost. 6 pounds is a nice little stack of margarine tubs.

Lynn, you're like me. I like to get things cooked ahead of time. I suppose lots of us do as we get more golden.

Freda, what's a cleaning frenzy? I've had baking frenzies but cleaning frenzies...DH just wishes. hahahaha. Good to be back. Thanks for your welcome.

Jess, have a happy Thanksgiving. If I was close to the US border, I slip over and have another one this year.

Hi Mary. That link was really interesting. How do you make rice stuffing?

Karen31, is that the house you were selling last year? I guess you'd better enjoy the holidays as you will be super busy following them.

Hi Chickadee, have a good Thanksgiving.

So far, so good. Didn't eat last night and this is the third day on the bike. Checking in makes one so accountable.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone south of my border. See you tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #410  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ~ have a wonderful day ~ if you're traveling ~ be safe.

Love you all
Old 11-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #411  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

I don't have time for much but I want to say, Happy Thanksgiving! (to the American Goldens Tee Hee)

Love you! Val

Last edited by Riemontana; 11-24-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #412  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Happy Thanksgiving all....I made candied pecans yesterday SF. They turned out fabulous. 200 calories for 20 halves. You beat an egg white with tsp of water until froth. Stir 2lbs of nuts and mix until coated. Mix cup of splenda with 2tsp cinnamon, 1tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp salt together. Pour over nuts and stir to coat. Bake on dry cookie sheet at 225 for an hr. Now only eat 20.

Packed in tins as gifts.

DH got his staples out this am. Had his first shower in 10 days. Put on a tsheet and crashed. He is snoring so loud Dash is packing a suitcase and running away from home.

Time to put in the ham. Just cored the pineapple for it. Friends called and are bring us each a turkey dinner plate. Love the thought but argggggh more food.

Karen...you are the biggest horse traders I have ever heard of! Lets see: how many sweet cars? 3? how many sweet houses? 3? Good job!

Bobbi...looked up recipe for snicker salad...WHAT? Maybe you can use LF coolwhip...one comment was somebody thought it was potato salad.

Rie...we love caulflower and I have got to try roasting it. Bought one but steamed it for a quick dinner. Will try again this week. It's the cheap vegie this week here. A whole head for $2, but 2 packets of flowers is $5.

Freda...You have to be stopped when in a cleaning frenzy? Gesh how do you get one started?

Lynn and Zoe...both of you have such good menus am not sure which one i'll be stopping by for dinner.

Donna....between turkey and now steaks your meal planning is taken care of.

Marie...Dash says he is trying to talk me into paw prints.

Kids have all called, we called everyone, DH is sleeping guess time to start in the kitchen. Happy Thanksgiving and may the rest of this year keep us all well and happy. k3
Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #413  
Want to feel better

Hello again,

Thought I'd share my dessert recipe for Thanksgiving. I know it is not diet friendly, but ~ seems I remember that someone said there are no calories in the food on Sundays and holidays This is what I make instead of the regular pumpkin pie. I like it way better. It is a recipe I found in one of those little tear out things (Bisquick recipes) from a Woman's Day magazine (1979 it says).

Pumpkin-Spice Dessert

1C bisquick baking mix
1/2 C quick cooking oats
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C firm butter or margarine
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
1 can (13 oz) evaporated milk
2 eggs
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C packed brown sugar
2T firm butter or margarine
Cool Whip

Heat oven to 350*. Mix baking mix, oats, 1/2 C brown sugar and 1/4C margarine until crumbly. Press in rectangular pan (13x9x2). Bake 10 minutes; cool slightly.
Beat pumpkin, milk, eggs, granulated sugar, salt and spices; pour over baked layer(crust). Bake 20 minutes. Mix pecans, 1/2 C brown sugar, and 2T margarine until crumbly; sprinkle over filling. Bake until set (15 - 20 minutes). Cool completely. Serve with cool whip. Makes 12 servings.

Ok, now off to make it

Last edited by glynne; 11-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #414  
Want to feel better

Hello again,

Here is another recipe. This is one I use to use up some of the left over turkey. I also like to enjoy the sandwiches, but mine are so plain compared to Zoe's ~ hers sound "to die for"

Chicken ‘N’ Biscuits Casserole

1C chopped onion
½ C (1stick) margarine
¼ C dry sherry or water
1 - 10 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
1 C all-purpose flour, divided
1 t poultry seasoning
¾ t salt (optional)
2 ½ C chopped cooked chicken breasts
1 - 10 oz. package frozen peas & carrots, thawed
¾ C quick or old fashioned oats (uncooked)
2 t baking powder
½ C skim milk
1 egg white

Heat oven to 425*. Cook onion in 2T margarine over medium-high heat - 3 minutes or until tender. Add combined sherry, broth, ¼ C flour, seasoning and salt. Cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and vegetables; pour into 2 quart casserole. Combine ¾ C flour, oats and baking powder. Cut in remaining margarine until crumbly. Stir in milk and egg white until moistened. Drop by ¼ cupfulls onto chicken. Bake 38 to 42 minutes or until golden. Makes 6 servings.

This one is from another little pull out (Quaker Oats 1990) from a Woman's Day magazine.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #415  
Isabella

Just testing my computer skills.

Last edited by retiredone; 11-24-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #416  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

To all my American GG friends. Have a great Thanksgiving. Ok most of you are probably nearly done with the holiday. So belated. To all my outside USA GGs, have a great Thursday.

I am so glad Gayle reminded me that Sundays and holidays don't have any calories because I really need a free pass. And we haven't had dinner yet. I made caramel cinnamon rolls for brunch. Oh yummy. They we're a great side dish to go with the Packer win. My dinner isn't horrific calorie wise as I love turkey. The white meat and the SF jello salad recipe that been in my family forever. The rest of the stuff isn't necessary.

Go Dash Go! I'd say Ms. KarenFL needs paw prints. I can't blame Dash running away for train like snoring.

KarenMO, I do not envy you moving. I hope you're happy with the contract and get the house you want. Congratulations.

Gayle thanks for sharing the recipes. I hope your dinner was fantastic.

Isabella, way to go on the bike rides. I'm jealous your weather is bike riding weather. My DH and I just bought a tandem and love it. I pushed my regular bike from the guest room to the craft room for DD to be able to stay. Do you think pushing may bike done the hall counts as bike riding? Yeah, me neither.

Freda, when you're done with your cleaning frenzy and wish to continue here, you'd be welcome. I hate to clean. I love clean houses. Mine is a lost cause with four huskies.

Donna, I hope you and SamCat have a great day. Kai sends her beloved SamCat hugs and kisses. At some point I'll start posting some of the progress pictures of the stained glass. Let your boy baby know it will be a long process since I can't have a window installed for it until summer. I've been ordered to be slow.

Hi to everyone else I missed. I had my iPad and decided to visit and typing on it is an interesting experience. And for some reason it is not autocorrecting so it will take me a bit to edit this post.

Marie
Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #417  

I make my rice stuffing with Rice-a-Roni. Very simple. I cook it as the package says and then add mushrooms, celery, onions and poultry seasoning. I prepare it the night before so it's easy to stuff. I have made it for years and was thinking this would be the last year as I thought maybe I should try another kind but my son's gf came this year and she said it was the first stuffing she's ever liked so guess I'll continue to make it.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #418  
Isabella

I guess it's Happy Black Friday today, haha. We even have that in Canada trying to keep up sales. It's new here. I'd thought I might brave the crowds and buy a new TV, but no.

Yesterday was a good one for me. I'm just about ready to get on my bike and go nowhere. Then I'll clean the house and maybe, just maybe make bread. I do it in my stand mixer and make 3 loaves and a few rolls. I have enough bread left to last til Sunday so I might leave it til then.

Karen3 those pecans sound yummy. Did you eat just 20???

Gayle that pumpkin recipe sounds delicious. I was looking for new pumpkin recipes in October for our TG. I'll copy and paste that one to my recipe collection.

Hi Val, nice to meet you.

Marie, don't think me so noble to bike outside. Ha, ha. My bike is stationary. I peddle to nowhere. For some reason it doesn't hurt my knee or my foot so I'm going to try and get in 200 km by Christmas. I'm increasing my time by 1 minute a day so I may even just go over that by then.

Mary "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Looks like your rice dressing is now your famous rice dressing. It's very different from what I make. Mine is so simple compared to what I see others make especially Americans. Most Newfoundlanders do a bread dressing with onions and summer savoury and butter/margarine. Some add celery, carrots, broth, etc and some even use poultry seasoning (gasp!). But the purists use just the bread crumbs/cubes, onions, savoury and butter. It can be stuffed in the bird or baked separately. Sometimes I'll add raisins or dried cranberries but I get dirty looks from some for that addition, lol.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #419  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

oinky here is busy re-painting master bedroom.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-25-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #420  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

"The party's over, it's time to call it a day"... Who remembers that song?

Thanksgiving is history, except for the leftovers, most of which went out the door last night. I have some turkey left for hot turkey sandwiches tonight, and that's it. The damage is done. I ate 2231 calories and my BS was 221 last night. When I tested it I thought it was 122 and I was thinking I did pretty good, but then I realized I had the meter upside down. Too much wine. I found out that white wine doesn't have the bad effect that red wine has, so I couldn't tell the difference between upside down and right side up. This morning my FBS was 142. ( I can feel Rie freaking out at these numbers! LOL) Now it's time to get back to the healthier eating.

I got up this morning and got online and ordered a camera DH wants. That is the extent of my Black Friday shopping. I figured the $7.95 shipping was well worth not having to get up and dressed to be at the store at 4 AM, using the gas, standing in line, fighting the crowd to buy it.

Maryea - I love rice stuffing, but I've never made it. I really never knew how, and DH wouldn't like it anyway. But I love Rice a Roni and your recipe sounds so easy.

Karen31- WooHoo! You sold the house and already have the new one in your sights. Great way to end the year!

Freda - For anyone having just a slightly high cholesterol reading I recommend fish oil capsules. I am on meds that weren't completely doing the trick and added fish oil and now it's normal.

Red Balloon - In order to have lots of time for reading and posting you have to be old enough to retire with nothing else to do. I'm only speaking for myself, here. It's nice, but you have to be willing to accept "old" with it. LOL

Isabella - Nice to meet you....Welcome back....and thanks so much for the Canadian Thanksgiving story! I would have really liked to have been there when Thanksgiving was celebrated every month! LOL

Lynn?- I missed the story about the parking, but from the replies it sounds like someone parked right up against you so you couldn't get into your car. Makes you wonder how they got out! DH gets so violently upset when that happens! He agrees with Marie that the stores make the parking spaces too small for today's cars. Our Kohls just redid their parking lot and their parking spaces are huge! He loves them! He told me that according to ordinance, a business has to have a certain number of parking spaces for the square footage of the business, and that's why some businesses put the parking spaces so close together...to fit a few more spaces in.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-25-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Closed Thread