Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #391  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Tea Granny, Do you or anyone else here know why Canada has a different Thanksgiving than the US? I get confused when a Canadian mentions what they had at Thanksgiving....makes me think I missed it somehow! LOL

I used to buy 2 smaller turkeys and cook them side by side. That way I got more stuffing and more dark meat. Most of my family likes the dark. Then the local grocers started having a special on the turkeys over 18 lb and it wasn't cost effective to be buying 2 smaller ones. So I just buy 1 big one and buy extra breast and thighs. It works.

God Bless You for feeding so many. Probably made a lot of lonely people very happy.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #392  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

ISABELLA!!! We thought you were dead! You caused us so much worry and concern... and while we're SO glad to see you back (and we have so many questions for you!!!!!), if you ever do this again, we'll track you down and hurt you!

We tried to track you down, actually, but you didn't give us any leads!! PLEASE PM Lynn with your information!! This is a lovely T'giving gift!!

So, tell us EVERYTHING! Are you still babysitting the grandbaby, making those long drives? How's the DH? How are YOU? Details, details, details.....!

Gotta run. Will try to get back to this later, if it's not too busy at work.

Last edited by jess1; 11-23-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #393  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Sun shining today. Yippee. And last day of the stretch. Yippee again.

Zoe ~ my first instinct for Isabella was to (like you) hug her then scold her, but I didn't want to scare her away

Karen FL ~ it wasn't the same vehicle ~ the first idiot drove a truck, the second idiot had a car. (My words wanted to come out stronger last night, but I think I cleaned it up pretty good

Ok, darn ~ gotta go ~ the fun is over for now......

Hope you all have a great day.

Take care
Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #394  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

A quick post here this morning! Isabella!! So glad to see you! Like everyone else we were so concerned about you. Please try to stay in touch even if it is just a quick "Hi and I'm still here!" I know this time of year gets so busy for everyone

I don't have a lot of time this morning. Have some people coming to look at the house again this afternoon. This will be their fourth time here to see it... Who knows what is going through their heads. But I look at it that if it is meant to be it will happen, if not we will be just as happy right here. There is 16 days left on the listing.

Everyone have a great day and I'm sure a lot of you are cooking like crazy today and tomorrow...We are having Thanksgiving at my sisters. She likes doing it over there and that is fine with me. I'm bringing Green Bean casserole and if I can get it done I'm hoping to bake some cookies and take over there. We'll see how things go.

OK, need to get around here and get a few things done and be ready to leave this afternoon for a little bit. Take care
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #395  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I've been AWOL for the last 4 or 5 pages and spent 45 minutes just catching up. First of all, Isabella! Oh my gosh, you're alive! Last we heard, you were driving many miles, babysitting and coming home week-ends. I personally thought you were in a bad car accident and lost your life, no kidding. We were all trying to figure out a way of contacting your family, PLEASE give Lynn your phone number. Zoe's right, she can be trusted with all our information. This is indeed a wonderful thing to be thankful for...YOU.
Quote:
Freda... Mostly good. cholesterol is 3 points above normal. if the doc thinks I'm going on cholesterol medication for that he is just so mistaken! That stuff is nasty and has toooo many side effects. I've been on meds for years with no side effects?

Rie, I've been thinking green for my walls, I like the suggestion of mossy green. The floral chair of my parents is from the 1920's, it was originally burgundy furry fabric with a matching couch. Us 5 kids wore the couch out but the chair was made so well that it survived.
Mary...You can always throw the turkey carcass into water with kitchen leftovers, potato and carrot peelings, bay leaf, etc. and make turkey broth of a big batch of turkey soup. That would be one way of using up leftover turkey.
Quote:
I'll eat the leftovers but that's it. However I do love the rest of the meal!

Zoe...Join the club, I can't maintain either. I either lose or gain, no in between. Chalk it up to our age. I've noticed just this year that I get tired so much easier than I did last year and I'm doing less work around the house/yard.
KarenFla...congrats on the 10 pounds. Good job!
Chick...a big congrats on your deer! Do you butcher it yourselves? Make an deer salami? We didn't have any hamburger made this year since DH got a small deer. I get so much mileage out of burger.
Nancy, I have 20 place settings of the 'Dessert Rose' Franciscan dishes and love them. I had the dining room decorated in tiny pink roses wall paper to match the dishes a few years ago. Now that I think about it, I change wall coloring more often than most. I screwed up royally on the master bedroom DH just finished painting. I got rid of the dreaded wall borders and had him paint it a darker color, mint green. YUK, I hated it. I told DH I hated it with a passion and he spent two days patching all the nail holes, priming it and two coats of paint. He said to live with it! NOPE, I bought another gallon of paint yesterday. This time I took my pillow sham with and matched the paint to it. (celery green). I have red poppies on a celery green background on the quilt, found 2 large pictures of red poppies that match really well. Then I scanned the flowers on the shams and printed out 3 pictures of them, put in smaller frames to hang next to the bigger pictures. I'll take pictures of it after I repaint.
Marie...I have a tattoo also but not of my dogs. I love your tats and the short story of all your dogs. I love dogs more than people, no kidding. What does jackass do that he got that label? I had a female English setting that name could be applied to. Our Charlie is our first male dog and he's been the best dog we've ever had.
KarenMo...We watch DWTS too, last night I was perplexed because we also watch parenthood at 9pm. We had to keep switching back and forth. JR had the backing of all the service men, no wonder he won.
Lynn...2 cups Marsala wine? Your recipe for drunken cranberries sounds awesome!
Glynne...my blood started to boil when I read about the jerk that parked close to you. Wouldn't it be fun to pull out and park right behind him so he couldn't get out. You could go sit in the coffee shop having a treat while watching him out the window. Of course I'd never do that but it was my first thought.
Red...congrats on the 6 pound lost, I'd changed my ticker if it was only a couple of pounds.
Carol Sue...nice that your hubby gets into thanksgiving, so does mine. He's cooking a duck and a turkey. Yesterday he got on the Allrecipe.com site and printed out a duck recipe. I do all the trimmings, stuffing, etc.
I'm out of time and more to comment on but it'll have to wait until after Thanksgiving.
Bye for now and hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-23-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #396  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'M NOT DEAD. LOL

I'm so sorry I caused you such concern. I have sent Lynn the required information so you can all send e-cards if I actually depart from this world.

OK, here's what happened. Following the summer of 2010 I went back to DS's to babysit. Everything was going well but I didn't have much access to a computer so I didn't get to post. Both DS and DDIL were always on their laptops working and studying and they took the computers with them most of the time when they left for the day.

By mid September I decided that I had to get back to my exercise regime (and posting on 3fc) so I brought all my walking clothing and shoes back with me the next time I went home. I arrived at DS's house on a Sunday evening and Monday afternoon when Boo's parents came home I was going to start walking again. As it happened I was peeling apples and making applesauce that day. I was standing in one place for about an hour peeling, peeling, peeling. When I finally moved to get Boo from his nap I felt a strange tightness in my knee. I didn't think much of it at the time, just figured it was stiff from standing so long in one place. But by the evening my knee was swollen as large as a cantaloupe and I could hardly walk on that leg. Long story short, I was diagnosed with arthritis, osteopina (sp?) and fluid on the knee. It was very painful and I could barely walk at times. At night I couldn't bear one knee to touch the other. Anyhoo, I had a couple of shots of steroids in the knee and finally it's settled down. (Although, it's still not good.) But as soon as the knee was under control the heel spurs and plantar fascitiits flared up.

OK, that's the background. While all this was happening I couldn't exercise but I could eat. So I did. Then I started gaining weight and thought I should get back to 3fc but I felt somewhat discouraged and kept putting it off. Then I felt a bit depressed and didn't want to do anything. All that hard work of losing the weight was all gone down the drain. I didn't want to admit that I was fat again, which I am.

Today I swallowed my pride (that probably cost a few extra calories) and came back. Thank you for the warm welcome, even the ones that were accompanied by clubs, frightening fists and dire threats.

I'm at home now. DDIL, finished her teaching degree and is doing substitute teaching until she gets a full time position. She's working nearly everyday though. Now that she's a paid member of society they can afford a paid babysitter. They have a very nice woman who has a little daycare center in her home. So, I guess this is my year to get back to where I was weight wise.

Sorry for the long post but it's been a long time,
Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #397  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Golden Sisters!

Thanks for the concerns. I actually feel better today - really short flare. I noticed that some of my staff were a tad upset that I was hobbling yesterday. I think they were hoping that skinnier meant no hurting. Alas....

My BFF arrived last evening. It was wonderful. She kept looking at me and saying, "OMG! OMG!" Her kids were looking at me like I had grown another head By the end of the evening, everyone had settled down. We finished the evening last night soaking in the hot tub in her hotel. Heaven!

Isabella, Howdy! I am one of the newbies. I remember the girls worrying over you. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Zoe, Here it is. We make them all the time: Tomorrow I am using cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, yam, and broccoli.

Toss cut veggies in bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss until coated.

Place on cookie sheet or flat pan in 425 oven until brown. (about 30-45 mins depending on the veggies.) Broc and cauliflower can be done together. The others, I roast each type and then put in a baking dish to be warmed at serving time. Any substantial veggie will do, even turnips, etc. My favorite is cauliflower. It gets this sweet nutty taste when browned.

Sorry that I can't do personals.... Today is swimming, last of the grocery shopping, making the soup and other prep work. We are having beef fondue for supper - a tradition of ours.

Much happiness and love to all of you at the holiday. I don't know if I will make it back but I will try.

Rie
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #398  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Carol Sue we Canadians don't have Thanksgiving in November because we didn't have Pilgrims who celebrated with the Indians.

Here is an account of the very first Thanksgiving in North America from the Mayflower Quarterly, November 1995, p. 282:

May 27, 1578 (Martin Frobisher) Newfoundland,
"in the last of his three unsuccessful attempts to find a northwest passage,
celebrated the first Thanksgiving North America on the shores of Newfoundland
— and Rev. Wolf conducted the service..."

It is interesting to note this service took place about 45 years before the first Thanksgiving by the Pilgrims. Over the years Thanksgiving celebrations were held spasmodically in various parts of the now USA and on different dates but in 1863, Abraham Lincoln actually proclaimed the first national American Thanksgiving.

In Canada, the day was also celebrated as a day of thanks for harvest by both the French and English settlers as well as Canada's First Nations and Native American people. Over the years the day was celebrated in nearly every month of the year at one time or another and for various reasons, including a celebration of Thanksgiving to celebrate the recovery of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness. We even celebrated on a Thursday in November for a few years. But in 1957, the Canadian Parliament announced that on the second Monday in October that Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

So from that time forward Canadians have been celebrating Thanksgiving on the second Monday in October. I, myself, would be more than willing to celebrate in November as well as October. LOL Everyday can be a day of Thanksgiving. We don't have to wait for once a year.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day, my American friends.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #399  
Bobbi

Isabella, thanks for the short story, you're only up to 160...no big deal. You'll get that off quickly enough once you get into that frame of mind and I think you are at the point right now.
I made some goody boxes to put on everyone's place setting for tomorrow.Anyone want the pattern, I'll scan it and you can print some up for your Thanksgiving table. Easy to make, you might have to enlarge it since I don't know how big it'll be over the internet. I'm filling them with candy corn and some cash, grandkids always like cash.
P.S. You can 'private message' me with your email address and I'll send the Thanksgiving box for you to print out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1141 (640x480).jpg (27.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #400  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Gayle, I've noticed that cars are either much wider than in the old days or parking lot spaces are smaller. It's amazing how many stores are fitting into one lot.Maybe that was part of the inconsiderate people's problem.

Red, I always though of every pound lost as a pound of butter. It's a cool image.

Darcy, way to go on the 6 mile walk. That's fabulous! And definitely there aren't many stained glass shops around anymore. I have one 75 miles away that I use occasionally. Mostly I buy my supplies online. Difficult to do with choosing glass.

Isabella, I don't think we've met but welcome back! I hope you were exaggerating about everything being broke except your jaws, but I did love joke. Perhaps it would be good if my jaws broke... And send Lynn your info because I don't think I'm in good enough shape to break Zoe and Donna out of jail.

Zoe, so glad you're feeling better. Really truly consider asking your dr about a long lasting inhaler. My guess is you have a rescue inhaler. They make an inhaler that has the same meds that lasts for 12 hours. I bet if you could breathe better you'd sleep better and start recovering. And yes, I know you're not fond of the medical professionals. Me neither but sometimes we have to bite the bullet. Long term bronchial irritation isn't good for you. And OMG at your Thanksgiving menu. That is WAY too much work.

KarenFL, the tats are place high on skin that was tighened surgically almost 2 years ago. So it's tight and I'm thinking it could last a quarter century. If now, c'est la vie. The paw prints will move. Then it's like they're dynamic tattoos. LOL on DH's bulldog. Have you wanted it to bite his elbow lately since the GGs have drilled in your head you can't injure him when he's already down? And my prayers are sent to your dear friends. I hope they recover without complications. Bones are slow so I can't say recover quickly.

Tea, you're big dinner sounds delightful. I'd to have joined you. This year I'm thinking of heading to Zoe's house.

Carol Sue, turkeys aren't just for Thanksgiving - clearly you worked with some warehouse ones that picked on your workout. Dingbats I decree.

KarenMO, are you sure the four time lookers aren't really living at your house. What do they expect to change????

Drunken cranberries!!!! Bobbi you crack me up! Jacka$$ earned his nickname because he is the most obstinate creature ever born. He is defiant and sanctimonious and would protect me with his lift. I adore him but he had this idea he was pack leader and would mark his kingdom (aka my house). took a couple months of working with my animal behaviorist to take the title of Pack leader back. BTW no more marking and no more anti-anger drugs for my boy. And if my more honest moments, all the time as I can't tolerate lying, I love dogs more than people. I gush over dogs, I nod at people.

So speaking of my boy, I have pictures of my beloved dogs in my office. All over my office to be exact. We had a temp custodian that was cheerful and sweet and smart as a box of rocks. Anyway, she nearly drooled over Kody's puppy picture. Her exclamations were entertaining. Then she asked about him. I said he was a jacka$$ and she asked, in all seriousness, "How did they do that???" How do you explain figuratively and literally to a box of rocks??? I just love that story. I look at the picture of Kody and still shake my head 2 years later.

Rie, I'm glad you're having a blast with your BFF. I envy the hot tub soak.

I am so ready for a 4 day weekend. With my work ethic this week I should have taken M-W off as well. Alas, I did get lots done. Enough about work, the strssor in my life. My DIL (you all remember her and my dificulties) is in the hospital. She's 4 months pregnant and her bladder infection became a kidney infection. All is good with the baby so far. Son said she might be released today. So that's the downer news. The rest is great. Did I mention 4 day weekend!??!?!?!?! Anyhow, I played with my glass last night and laid out the pieces for Kai. I am taking pictures along the way and will post them all on my website as a photo album and description. That way any of you can take up the craft. I wrote on my latest manuscript last night. I'd been stuck for a few weeks (nearly months) and amazingly what a few hours of just concentrating will do. I fell into Starbucks on my way back from a school and am enjoying a non-fat white mocha. Our winds are so strong it was hard to walk the dogs down a hill this morning since it was into the winds. DD is on her way up from Reno as I type. I mentioned the weather forecast and said it would be best to arrive before dark.weather is supposed to be snow, rain, ice and wind. Lots of wind. Of course I already mentioned that. I texted confirmation times to pick up my amazing grandson from DD's ex. So in 4 hours he's all mine. Well until I get home. It's been a month since I've seen him and I miss him! Packers play tomorrow morning so I must coordinate my dinner prep with it. I did the doggie hike as well as the elliptical before work so I won't have to exercise after work. It's grandson time and Thanksgiving prep time. That's it. I suppose I should work some now...
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 11-23-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #401  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thanks everybody for your kind words. I am going to try to hunt for 6 lb things that have a similar density to fat and try to imagine that slathered over my body. The chicken is good...there just is none here. Everything is cut up in Japanese stores.
Well, I am jealous of everyone having the time to read and write so much. It's just after 4:30 and I have to be out and to the racetrack, then write up a story there and then go in to the totally unrelated office job. Ugh.
I was good yesterday but I think I broke some little bones in my foot. I very stupidly was jump roping in the martial arts studio in the gym and you can't wear your shoes in there because it's all mats. So, my weight slamming down on my poor feet. Damn!
Oh, I need sleep. Another only three hours last night. Phone calls etc. Ugh!
I have to go to Hong Kong soon so maybe I can catch up while there if I can get some leisurely time with a Net connection.
Again, thanks for the soothing words. I wish I could see the 6 lbs as something good and I do actually but I've been here so many times before it just makes me sick to think of that. But, gaining 6 lbs is something I hadn't thought of and that would be a shocker because that would be virgin ground.
Gotta run! Best of all to everyone!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #402  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

OK - today is the corn bread/pork sausage/sage stuffing.

Tomorrow morning is cleaning up the house and doing the veggies and potatoes and turkey.

My DD is making dessert.

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING just in case I don't get back here.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 11-23-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #403  

Height: 5'1"

Hi GG's,

The DGS spent the night last night and we were up very late. got up this morning and started one of my cleaning frenzys. thank goodness for them, other wise my house would never get cleaned. I started on the basement this morning, in the pantry. Got that cleaned and some of the rest of the stuff sorted. Sad to say, the basement has been kind of a catch-all. That and the kids room, which is full of toys, and it was a big mess. Got a lot done, but it needs a lot more. DH finally came down stairs and made me quit. I have a tendency to have a hard time stopping when I do get started.

Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Isabella?????? OMG! How good to hear from you. I was another one that thought you must have had an accident. Now, i agree with the others. Once the happiness of seeing you again, I'm ready to come there and help the others hurt you. not really, i imagine if we all got there we would just party! So glad that you sent Lynn your contact information.

Everyone else, if you haven't given contact information, please do. You know how we worry about "family".

Bobbi, I'm glad you've had good luck with the cholesterol medication. I have a SIL and a good friend that had horrible symptoms from it. My SIL has very high cholesterol and still tries to take it, but if she takes it too long she ends up in bed with muscle cramps and pain. She will take it 2 weeks and go off for a week and start over if she can.

Z, so glad you are feeling better. A few years ago I was getting bronchitis every Dec. I started taking better care of myself and finally broke the cycle (not saying you're not taking care of yourself, that was me)

Rie, You too. So glad you are feeling better.

Red, if you don't think that 6 lb. is much, get something that weighs 6 lb. and carry it around for about an hour.

Talk to the rest of you later, got to go throw on the pie's. peach, berry and pumpkin. We have the traditional dinner also. Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and potato salad for DH. sweetpotato casserole with a paraline topping that has a 1000 calories a spoonfull. I only have a spoonfull, but it's probably too much, but the family expects it. All the other stuff that goes with the dinner too. I make a homemade cranberry sauce, along with the canned for DH, who thinks it's wonderful.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 11-23-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #404  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All…

Yum, almost Turkey time! I can smell the turkey already. It’s my favorite of all my favorite holidays!!

Mary – your lab numbers are great! I’m proud of you! Have I told you that lately… or enough? You’re doing so well!

Rosey – I hope today’s doc apptment went well and that Dr. Turd was a charmer! With a name like that, he has to try harder! Thanks for the input on the Sears catalog: see below! And have a lovely holiday with your family!

Rie – I tried to go without shoes yesterday, but it was too uncomfortable around the office! I use a phone book on the floor at home to rest my leg, and I tried that at work today. Eureka! I’m still pain free. Wouldn’t it be just a boon if something so simple did the trick? My pain is almost definitely from misalignment. I was looking at my slippers, and it’s very obvious. Anyway, the pain starts in the groin, feels like a tendon that gets tighter and tighter until the pain is throbbing all the way to my knee through the quads. If I straighten my leg and flex the foot, I can feel it snapping. It takes hours and hours to get the pain to stop unless I force it to snap, which REALLY hurts… but it does give some abatement.

Marie will be heartened to know that I did several stretching exercises last night (HURT!), and maybe that pain somehow loosened and lessened so that I didn’t hurt so much today? I use the vinegar to stop the pain when it first starts; once it gets a hold on me, though, it’s just awful. I’m continuing my search for non-invasive, non-surgical relief!

Did your friend arrive? Did she come alone or did she bring her family? Answered my questions later, thanks.

Nancy – I’m glad you reminded me that you have young furbabies. I had visions of all of us losing our “kids” at the same time. Not a happy thought! How’s it going with your DSD? Remember, it’s YOUR conscience to blame!! I hope the visit goes well and that you have a good dinner!

CK – were you disappointed by the DWTS result? I would have been happy with any of the three, although little Bobby K found a place in my heart. I hope he takes his confidence and gets a real job with a real life, away from the plastic existence of “reality star”. I liked the way the season ended, thought everyone did a good job.

Marie – I loved seeing your tats! Thanks for providing the link and the explanations… way cool. And I agree with you, totally, about standing work stations. I absolutely would NOT be able to do that. The in-store demo gig for 5 hours messed me up for days. I can’t imagine doing that on a regular basis! I’d be a cripple, for sure.

I LOVED your story about the dogs and the “box of rocks”!! SamCat is anxiously awaiting progress pictures on Kai’s stained glass window. He’s doing fine, BTW. He still trips on his back legs, but he seems to be okay. I don’t mind carrying him around!

Red – do you celebrate T’giving with your American friends? So sorry about your foot booboos…

Glynne – part of the problem at work is that I’m up and down like a yoyo… it’s not just sitting, by any means. It’s getting patient orders and bending over to do the filing, as well as the computer input. Today was a GOOD day! I’m exploring the exercise angle (calm thyself, Marie! I don’t mean exercise exercise, good grief!), as in yoga and stretches. I have a voucher for a hour’s worth of acupuncture, and I’m sure they’re chiropractors. They should have some ideas, yes? I just haven’t had a free Wednesday to take advantage of the voucher.

Chickadee – how’s the thumb?

Lynn – your cranberry sauce sounds WONDERFUL!

PT/Zoe – are you better? You have to get better, so you can enjoy those fab sandwiches!!

KarenFL – good thoughts and prayers for your friends! I’m glad they’re all okay… are they home or in the hospital?

Both of the women in my office are serving mac and cheese as a side dish. Lois, my boss, is making hers with truffle oil! There was a gift sack on my desk this morning with 4 steaks: 2 filet mignon and two sirloin. Now, I know you probably think I’m making it up, but she is the best boss EVER, so generous and considerate. I’m the ever-thankful employee!

Isabella – sorry about the strong words (ha! I’m not sorry at all…), but you scared us. Glad you sent Lynn your info. I haven’t had a Kirby salesman yet, so I think she’s trustworthy with our information. BTW, I really like your new picture, but I do miss the one of you with the ear flaps! That was the best! And I’ve missed your newsy posts! And your wry humor. Glad you’re back!!

Freda, dear Freda – thanks for reminding everyone to stay in touch. It’s so important! How’s your back??

Wow, wrote a missive today! I’m going to go broil one of the steaks (can you IMAGINE???), hungry! Everyone, have a lovely, wonderful, fun, satisfying, and loving Thanksgiving. Thanks to all of you for being here! Pats and hugs to all furbabies and DH/SO’s!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #405  
Bobbi

I made a Pistachio/cool whip salad with crushed pineapple and marshmellows today, the grandkids love the stuff. I also put the bread stuffing together with a couple chopped apples and some dried cranberries. I made some orange cranberry sauce but will leave that for us, DD found a recipe for fresh cranberry sauce with pears. She's also bringing a sweet potato pie, that will be our first. I think that's more of a southern pie than what us Yankees make. I'm having the usual mashed potatoes and gravy and two veggies. We have tons of carrots from the garden, will use a honey glaze and parsley on them and I found a recipe for squash and apple bake that sounds good. DH is making a roasted duck with apple stuffing and a turkey so I'll be too busy to wish everyone HAPPY THANKSGIVING. The little boxes I made for the place settings turned out cute, I put sugared gumdrops and cash in them for the grand kids.
On a side tray, I made the mock peanut brittle and rice crispies with a twist. You make two thin cookie sheets of rice crispies, then melt a bag of caramels, 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup butter together until melted. Pour over the 1st sheet of rice crispies, put the second pan of rice crispies on top and refrigerate until cooled. If I make again, I'd cut down on the caramel sauce......it was too much for the filling, I actually put the balance on top of the bars. Oh yes, I'll be hitting the diet big time after this feast.
Closed Thread