Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #331  

Height: 5'1"

Mary, I forgot to say that my brother and SIL are doing the diet that you are. Very restrictive. But it seems to be working for them. My brother has lost over 60 lbs. I think he said he only got to eat 500 calories a day. But the spray is supposed to keep you from wanting food?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #332  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! I missed posting yesterday because we went out of town to visit our oldest son's gf. She lives at WA coast and it was a great day for a visit (both here and there)! She's a very special person and we had a great time.
We had lunch out yesterday and I was amazed how much I have changed since being on this diet! First the chips and salsa came out and I honestly didn't even notice them at first and when I did I just thought, oh, I can't eat them and was perfectly alright with that. GF and Dh were amazed! Then I ordered a fish dish that came with salad not realizing rice and beans would come with it. My favorite part of a Mexican meal is usually rice and beans and there it was on my plate! But I wasn't really tempted at all..the thought crossed my mind that they looked good, but I just ate the fish and salad and avoided them. There were also peppers and onions on the fish so think I got close to my 1 1/2 serv of veggies. The fish was pretty salty though and I think that's why I was up .2# this am but I have dropped another pound so far this week. One more pound and I'll be back to where I was in Dec at 158.

What I have learned from this diet so far is that I must have a lot of fiber and protein in EVERY meal. I always knew both were important but apparently did not have adequate amounts of both in some of my meals. I think that is why I'm so satisfied now. I get a good amount of both in EVERY meal plus I get lots of protein in my L&G. There are three MF meals I don't like so far...the beef vegetable stew, the home style chili and the cappuccino. Of these three the chili and cappuccino are the worst! But everyone is different and some people really like these. My favorites are the brownies, the chocolate pudding (esp with a bit of cinnamon and Splenda), Dutch chocolate shake and PB Crunch Bars. Many things need a little salt or other seasoning and spice which is ok if only a little.

Wow one day away and so many posts! This is a very active group!

bobbi - eating that frosting sounds so much like something I would do at least pre-medifast! I too have had to just throw stuff away to prevent eating it.

Freda - I used to make my girls bend over so I could make sure their bottoms didn't show and did not allow shorts that showed cheeks. Of course after they were out of high school they did what they wanted.

Donna - Yes my dh is a great guy, I thank God for him all the time! And I can still be a little jealous...when I synched our contacts they were merged and we are still deleting each others from our phones. Well today I found one that sounded like one of his old gfs and I asked him about it. Turned out it's a cousin by the same first name. But I assured him that I would not be happy to see an x-gf's number in his phone. LOL He was probably a little pleased I could still be jealous.

Zoe - Getting used to eating packaged/dehydrated foods is the worst part, but on the websites and forum you can learn all kinds of ways to make them taste better. There is also a MF group here on 3FC that is very supportive. The only thing negative other than that is that I have been slightly nauseous since I started but I am not sure whether it is due to the diet or not. It comes and goes but sometimes I feel it is related to some of the meals. Not sure though.
Will let you know how that goes. I do have more energy than I did however I have not felt the surge of energy many have...but this might be because other my mochas I wasn't eating a lot of sugar before I started.

Karen3 Enjoyed your list and I can remember many of them.

That's all for now, folks!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #333  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Mary, I forgot to say that my brother and SIL are doing the diet that you are. Very restrictive. But it seems to be working for them. My brother has lost over 60 lbs. I think he said he only got to eat 500 calories a day. But the spray is supposed to keep you from wanting food?
I don't know about any spray, never saw it on the website. And the diet is 800-1000 calories. I would never go as low as 500 cal!! I was worried about going as low as 800 but I get very good nutrition in that 800 cal and so far my body hasn't rebelled. The verdict is still out of course. One day I got 1065. It is restrictive and it's not. LOL You can eat every 2-3 hours so you are always eating! Sometimes I don't even feel like eating when it's time but you are to make sure you get in your 5 mf meals and then you must have one lean and green which is a lean protein and 1 1/2 serv of veggies.

The only restrictive thing about it is you must eat according to their nutrition requirements which is a good thing, healthy. Can't eat junk, sugar (except what's in their foods, dairy and fruit. There is a teensy bit of fruit in some of their products. I thought I'd miss the dairy and fruit but I'm so satisfied I don't and I know I will transition these back into my diet once I've reached my goal.

The mf meals are 90-110 calories each, low carb, high fiber and high protein plus vitamins/minerals I think. In order to save some money, for some meals I do my own. I use 1/2 can slim-fast or biggest loser shakes instead of buying their shakes all the time (and add 1/2 t. powdered fiber to a cup of water), and I make my own mocha/frapps by using only 1/2 scoop my frappe mix, 1/2 scoop of protein powder I already had, 1 t. cocoa powder, 1/2 t. Splenda and water. It's not as good as it used to be but it meets the calorie, fiber, carb and protein requirements and is not bad plus saves me money. So you can do this diet on your own but you just have work to make sure you get all the nutrition at each mini meal.

ETA You also have to drink 1/2 your weight in water! Water has never been successful in filling me up and you all know I'm skeptical of the link between water and dieting, but I haven't been that successful (for long at least) with dieting so I'm open., so I'm doing it. At first drinking that much made me feel sick but it's getting easier and as I lose I can drink a little less. Part of the reason I'm sure is that you are getting quite a bit of fiber and with fiber you need water.

Last edited by maryea; 09-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #334  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Rie ~ congratulations on your 5K today ~ way to go!!

Lynn ~ are you getting to rest up a little this weekend after your “big” weekend last weekend?

Zoe ~ confession here ~ I have done the exact same thing as you with the candy ~ did not touch it at work, then felt cheated and bought some on the way home Glad you are starting to feel better.

Mary ~ glad you had a nice visit with your son's girlfriend. And glad that the MF is working well for you and you are seeing results.

Karen FL ~ enjoyed your list ~ I remember some of those too. Congratulations to your son on his books ~ you must be one proud mama

Karen MO ~ almost time for your travel to begin. Have fun and safe travels.

Freda ~ sorry your back is bothering ~ hope it feels better soon. Glad you got the day off ~ hopefully you can get your back to feeling better by the time you have to go back.

Marie ~ sorry that work is stinking. Re: Hairapy ~ Corbin was here today, and I offered him some ~ he said no thanks ~ that his hair was yucky, but that his back wasn’t yucky ~ he traded hairapy for some back scratching J

Bobbi ~ enjoy your weekend ~ leave some time for you to just rest and have fun.

NC Nancy ~ miss you.

Rosey ~ sorry you hurt your back. Hope it is starting to feel better.

Donna ~ were you able to get the files transferred to your lap top this time? Computers can be so frustrating sometimes. How did your celebration go today ~ hope you had a fun time.

Darcy ~ were you able to fit in a walk on the treadmill? I’ve gotta try harder to do that on a daily basis. I am not very disciplined ~ and need to be more so.

Donna Marie ~ congratulations on your weight loss, and that eating healthy is becoming easier for you now.

Koala-Lou ~ how are you and your kitties doing?

Fitchy ~ that sounds neat ~ being able to borrow Kindles from the library ~ will have to check out if my library does that.

Welcome Hermit Girl ~ hope you get a chance to ride your bike. I love riding mine (don’t laugh ~ mine is one of those 3 wheeled granny bikes) but it has been so hot all summer ~ I am looking forward to cooler weather so I can start riding again.

Hello Sherry, Carol Sue, Lyn, Tea, Sueurban and Arrowspark. I’ve probably forgotten someone ~ forgive me.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #335  

Thanks Glynne & others! Yes, I guess I think I finally found something that works...I was on the right path with my own mini-meals but didn't have the nutrition quite right.

Slmn1 - I forgot to add that on MF you are also allowed one snack a day out of a list. If I feel kinda like I want something different (usually not really hungry), I will have a tablespoon of peanut butter...this is probably the highest cal snack on the list but there is also celery, sf jello and sf popsicles to name a few.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #336  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello again,

Writing therapy I guess. Kind of an unsettling night last night. Drama at DD's house and she and the kids and my son ended up staying here last night. I don't think anybody slept very well ~ because of not being in their own beds. I gave my bed to Sara and Maddie. But Sara could not get comfortable in my bed. Jason and I were in recliners and Corbin on the sleeper sofa.

From time to time DD starts talking about moving away. After moving here to be near her and the kids ~ I just hate hearing that kind of talk. I don't mean to be selfish, I want what is best for her and for her to be happy, but it is hard to listen to that kind of talk.

I think I am going to have to go see the dr. This pain in my joints is just not getting better ~ despite getting back to taking the Celebrex like I was. So frustrating. Sorry for whining.

Lynn ~ how long did it take the different times you tried to get off of it and then resumed it for it to kick in and you felt back to like you were when you were taking the celebrex regularly? I wonder if I am just not giving it enough time.

On the lighter side ~ I had a scare earlier tonight. I was watching TV (I can see it better without my glasses) and then I put my glasses back on to see the computer. I could not see the words well ~ I got scared ~ thought I was having somekind of reaction, or a stroke starting. I reached up to fiddle with my glasses and found that one lens had fallen out. Thank God ~ that is an easy enough fix.

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #337  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

Well, I had a phone call from work at 330 am and I couldn't get back to sleep. So, I did my walk and everything today on very little sleep. I am pretty tired. Thanks for all your support.

Hermitgirl, my goal for next spring is to be able to ride a bike. Glad to see you over here!

Gayle, sorry about the family stuff. Obviously they know that you are there for them. I will think positive thoughts.

Mary, your MF plan sounds really good. Nice that you found something that is working for you.

Freda, Sorry about your back. The "getting old" thing really sucks sometimes. Take care of your back.

Zoe, we still eat very close to production whenever possible. My folks are getting a lamb from the neighbors next week. We choose how it is cut and wrapped. I have butchered wild game most of my life. It makes a huge difference. I would really like to start keeping chickens again but I am content with buying them locally.

Bobbi, here's hoping that you get the headaches under control.

Donna, I am so sorry that your hip continues to pain you all the time. In a just world, you could get it fixed right now.

Rosey, It must be the week for back aches! Sorry that you wrenched your back so bad and I hope it gets better!

Oh, sorry for everyone that I missed. Just so tired tonight

Rie
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #338  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hmmm, the first one...about the patent leather shoes. No problem these days...the girls skirts are so short no patent leather shoes needed! LOL

I think I'm jealous because they can wear the short skirts and I can't! In the stores I see them on the rack and some of them are so short they almost look like belts! LOL
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #339  

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone thankyou so much for all the kind comments.your support keeps me motivated havent been doing alot today,im still having spasms in my back and shoulder,ice helps and tylenol. id rather use advil as it works better for me but since my surgury they said only tylenol. i have a moose roast in the crockpot it smells wonderful.it cooks like beef but is much leaner. thinking about you all and hope you all are having a great day rosey
I'm going to have to start wearing my glasses....I thought it said you had a mouse roast in the crockpot! LOL A moose? Really? I never tasted moose.

I wonder what it is about the Advil? I was told the same thing about it after surgery, but then I am on blood thinners and I think that might be the reason.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #340  

Marie and Ellabella - My doctor will not let anyone skip the scale. They said it is necessary because a rapid rise or fall in your weight could indicate a health problem. (Yeah, like gluttony! LOL) I used to get on and shut my eyes. I didn't want to know. Now I weight every day and record it.

Gayle - I used to be able to buy my Halloween candy far in advance and no one was allowed any, not even the kids. Now, my husband opens it, and once it's open, it's all over! There have been times when I had to go out and buy more because he ate it all. So I wait til the day before Halloween, or sometimes the same day to buy it.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #341  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

KarenMO, I hope your DH’s better and you get to leave on your trip soon. Have fun and be safe!

Zoë, I just love “no thanks” to the drs office. I usually just cover my eyes and say I don’t want to know. I’ll try “no thanks” next time. I’ll avoid going to the dr just because I don’t want to be forced to be weighed. I hope you are feeling better and don’t have to go back. You need to kick that infection in the a$$.

Morning Hermit, I remember you from the 40’s group. I love bicycling. I rode mine yesterday, although I put it on the fluid trainer since I refuse to leave my house on weekends. (Stress from work is making me a weekend hermit)

KarenFL, the liquid starch – my father worked for Corning and has the patent for spray starch (thinking late 50s or 60s). He has all his patents hanging on his garage wall. But I always think its cool he has the spray starch one.

Donna, our furbabies are in cahoots. Mine are all healthy and if SamCat is, their lulling us into complacency. I could really grow to like complacency… And I know I’m opening a can of worms, but if both your computers are on the same network, you can search by the ip address and just transfer the files…

Fitchy, I told my sister to check with her library about checking out kindle books through the library. Thanks for the info.

Freda, excellent idea in our trailer circle community we raise our own meat and produce. Count me in!

Bobbi, the week before my allergy testing and having no antihistimines, my skin itched so bad I was nearly ripping it off my body. I didn’t even realize I was scratching my face and neck and arms. Even the allergist said to stop, then explained with my allergies and sensitive skin that it was a recipe ripe for itching terror. OK, I should shut up or you might not do it. Must say within an hour of taking the antihistimines after the test, I stopped scratching. Maybe it was worth it. At least I know what I’m allergic to. And maybe some day the shots will help the asthma. I’m not holding my breath (pun intended…).

Mary, I noticed a pattern in the MF foods you like. All but the PB bars have chocolate. I understand chocolate addiction.

Gayle, I love Corbin trading hairapy for a back therapy. Smartie… I still would prefer the hairapy. Hopefully the Celebrex starts to help again. Feel better! And I’m sorry about the DD situation. Don’t feel bad for being selfish. Does DD understand that she doesn’t have to leave town if her marriage doesn’t survive? That she’d be better off having her family nearby?

Rie, congrats on the walk! Look how far you’ve come. You should be so darn proud!

Carol Sue, LOL on the gluttony for rapid rise of weight. Yep, I fit that category occasionally.

Yesterday was probably my last day in the pool. Looking at the 2 week forecast, the lows in the mid-30s will make it nearly impossible to keep the pool temp at 80+. Below 80, I just swear as I swim. I like heat. Anyway, I swam lots the past week knowing our weather was turning to fall today. DH biked around Crater Lake with our son yesterday so I had the house to myself and pups. We had a really nice day. Mostly I spent it on the phone with my sister or daughter. Since I hate phones, I thought it was funny I chose to chat all day. DH is home today but it’s Packer football so he’ll have to get his time in with me before the game. He did tell me he’s going back to day shift mid-October for a few months. I have mixed feeling on that. I like that we’ll see each other more than a day or two a week. But, I have gotten really attached to my alone evening time. It’s been helpful that I don’t have to be nice or friendly with this horrible last month of work. Maybe by mid-Oct work will be better. I do have some hope. Anyway, he’s awake and we’re going to walk the dogs (if he can move after a 33 mile ride up and down mountain roads). It’s supposed to start raining so I want to go before the dirt roads turn to mud and therefore make my floors muddy from walking paws.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 09-25-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #342  

Checking out e-books from the library is so easy and convenient now that I know how to do it. I checked out 4 this morning. You do it all at home on your PC. When your time is up, they just take them back. They stay on your e-reader, but you can't open them, so you have to delete them. They only allow 5 at a time, so you can do an early return to get them off your account to allow for more. Mine is set up so I download them to my PC and then connect my e-reader to the PC and transfer them to the e-reader. You can also have it set up to attach your e-reader to the PC and download them directly to the e-reader but the program has to be downloaded to your e-reader, too. They guy at the library didn't understand my e-reader (it's a Pandigital) so he showed me how to download to the PC and then transfer.

Many of the most popular books are already checked out and you have to put yourself on a wait list. When it's available, they notify you by email and you have 3 days to download it. If you have a book on wait list, you have to make sure you don't already have 5 downloaded or you won't be able to download the one you were waiting for. I am learning these things as I go along.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #343  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Happy Sunday Goldens!

Well, last night ds came home and surprised me with a really good steak with grilled asparagus and grilled corn with some fresh strawberries for desert. It was really good.

Some of you might have seen this on fb, but I am so mad! The car wash I went to yesterday scratched the crap out of the hood of my pickup. GRRRRR! The manager just blew me off. I know the owner pretty well but I have heard complaints in the past that they are not good about this sort of thing. I hope that it will matter to him.

Karen, I loved your list. Some of mine are a little different because I am a little younger, but I was raised by conservative, rural people. Here are some of mine:

no white shoes after september
Washed hair in curlers on saturday night to prepare for church the next day.
Lawrence Welk, The Red Skelton Show, and Bonanza on tv
Going to grandma and gpa's to watch the Wizard of Oz every year because they had color tv
Wearing a skirt without hose was trashy, unless you were wearing ankle socks
"Going to town" was a shopping trip
Drive in movies with that big paper back of popcorn from home and RC cola in bottles
Old pickups that had a push button starter on the floor.
Hair days when mom, gma, and aunties gave each other perms. Phew!

Fun Memories....

Gayle, sorry about DD. I hope that she realizes that she will need her family even more if her marriage disolves.

Marie, I know that you will miss the pool.... But winter sports are just around the corner. Those huskies are just waiting to get into their harnesses! Thanks for your support yesterday. There are no more races here this year. I am going to spend some time checking out the available walking trails and try to get used to longer distances and more terrain. I might try to follow Lynn's example and do the Koman race for the cure half marathon next spring. My BF is a survivor.

Rosey, how was the moose roast? I like moose meat. Your pictures made me think about the fun stuff with family. I am trying to talk my dad into making a small batch of home sausage this fall. I think that passing on the traditions is as important as the food.

Carol, you are motivating me to get an e reader! I have been avoiding it but I think I am going to have to get one!

Hi Hermit, did you get in any bike rides this weekend? I would love to hear more about the mountain area where you live.

Mary, Good job on the mexican food! The rice and beans was always my favorite part. You are doing so well!

Donna, how is your weekend? Are you gorking and avoiding domestic drudgery?

Yes, Zoe, darlin, it is time for winter. I know that doesn't fit well with your sun goddess needs....

I thought about Karen and Tim in the truck this morning. Let's all hope for safe and fun travels for them.

Well, sorry for anyone that I missed. I have things to get done and it is football day. I am going to laze about watching the games while eating cucumber slices, tomatoes from the garden, and drinking mocha smoothie....

BBL

Rie
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #344  

Morning everyone its cool and cloudy this am.im feeling sluggish.my back and shoulder was really spasming last nite so i took a muscel relaxer and i feel like a noodel. the moose turned out wonderful,just like beef,no gamey taste.my washing machine sprung a leak and had to use all my towels to mop it up,my deck looks like a chinese laundry.now ive got to figure finances to get a new one always something and its usually lack of $$.our alaskan permennt funds will be in our account oct 7th. we use it to pay our property taxes and play catch up.also dh is going deer hunting in minnesota with sil and grson. they will be gone 2 weeks.so another expens. sheesh sry im complaining of finances im greatful for what we have,but sometimes wish i had amoney tree in the back yard im sure you can relate.hoping your sunday is peaceful rosey
Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #345  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Eureka, GGDs!
The ComputerGod was here... I have a router... I have IE 8 again, which should take care of the system freeze problem (I hope!)... I have all my files... AND the wireless mouse works! He took the PC with him, to strip it down and reinstall. Eureka, eureka, eureka.... Hope you're all having a lovely day. I AM!
Closed Thread