Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #391  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Got out of work on time tonight. Home now ~ feet up ~ here with my GG's, kitty beside me. Ahhhhhh.........

Tomorrow the tour of the "Y". They have a membership that is less ~ allows you to use the facilities ~ but not be able to do any of the classes. But that would work out ok ~ with my schedule, I am never off at times when classes are offered anyway. The "Y" back home (Greensboro, NC) had an indoor walking track. I am hoping that maybe this one has one. That would be another option for exercise when it is so stinking hot.

Forgive me ~ starting to get sleepy ~ hopefully tomorrow maybe the personals.

Rest well everyone.

Take care
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #392  

Height: 5'3"

Came back to read some posts before going to bed. Joe's had a really rough day/evening...his eye is really getting to him...apparently no pain but just annoying and a strain to keep it open and wears him out. I notice he is more irritable and know he's very uncomfortable even though he continues to do about everything as usual...just rests more often. I encourage him to rest it more but it is very hard for him to just sit or lay around and he loves to watch TV, but he did go to bed early tonight.

Rie - Thanks but we are very fortunate as we get all our diabetic supplies free with Medicare. We just can only get one strip a month unless the doctor does a lot of paperwork showing we need it more and since our A1Cs are good (esp dh's) it is assumed we don't. That is a very good price though and I have occasionally bought them when I was having trouble with control, but right now I'm doing well. I'll check it out though.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #393  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

Oh, wow - my back is so bad this morning that I started working out and had to stop. I am going to run some errands and come home to a heating pad, ibutabs and maybe a flexeril. I hate it because they make me so sleepy.

I can't believe it is the last day in September! I feel like I need to get a little more organized in my life. It's not that anything is wrong, but I seem to be having more "I'll get that done next week" issues. I would also like to get some finances organized and start bumping up the savings. Now that dh will be helping more with expenses, I should be able to put a little more away.

Dgs is running around this morning, so excited about his day. (school day). He is cheerful and driving his dad crazy. Every 5 minutes he runs in to tell me, "gma, I am eating my cereal, gma I am gonna take a bath....." Tee Hee.

Well, I am off to face the day. If I get to the store early, I can be in and out quickly. I will be back later for personals.

Rie
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #394  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Carol, don't believe so. You need to be on your internet providers feed. Routers send ip address out to equipment and it has to have one first and be on a network.
Oh well, we don't have the cash for a trip to Vegas right now anyway!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #395  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

#%*&^@ computer, slow, not responsive, can't click off site, blah, blah, blah. I have a remote techy lined up this afternoon at 2 ...he can deal with it.
We ordered a beef packet last summer and have regretted it many times. Awful meat, greasy burgers, ick. They caught me in a weak moment and we were low on game meat. Never again, I'll take lean wild game anyday. The formed burger patties are so greasy, we can only grill them. Yesterday DH was too tired to start the grill so I put the patties on a cooling rack in a large tray of shallow water and baked them. You should see my oven, all grease spattered. I have a self cleaner oven but the fumes make me sick so do it manually. I'm going to mix up a batch of something below. I googled some natural oven cleaning recipes and this is the results:
Quote:
HEAVY DUTY HOMEMADE OVEN CLEANER
1t Liquid dish soap
1t Lemon juice
1-1/2t Bleach
1qt. Warm water
Mix all ingredients in cleaning bucket or bowl and apply solution (with a sponge) to the oven's cavity. Allow to sit for 45-minutes and then scrub clean. Rinse well!
AMMONIA TRICK
1c ammonia
Pour ammonia into plastic bowl or dish (which can be easily disposed of). Place ammonia inside oven and close door. Allow to sit overnight. Remove container and wipe away stubborn stains. (Ammonia may be reused, if stored properly.)
GRANDMA'S TRIED AND TRUE VINEGAR RECIPE
5T Baking soda
3 drops hand soap or liquid dish soap
4T White vinegar
Mix above ingredients until they form a thick paste. Apply paste to inside of oven and scrub with sponge. Wipe clean and rinse thoroughly.
CITRUS CLEANSER
Use equal amounts of lemon juice and salt. Apply paste to stubborn stains and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes. Scrub with brush and wipe clean.
NATURAL SCRUB CLEAN OVEN SOLUTION
4T Baking soda
4T Hot, steamy water
Make a paste with the above listed ingredients and apply it to the oven's cavity using an old toothbrush or soft-bristled cleaning brush. Allow solution to sit for 1-minute. Scrub with brush until oven is clean. Rinse with water and sponge until no traces of baking soda remain.
TOUGH STAIN REMOVER
1c Salt
1c Baking soda
1c Water
Make a paste using the ingredients above and apply it to the inside of the oven. Close door and heat oven to 500-degrees for 60 minutes. Turn off oven and allow to cool. Wipe debris from oven using a moist sponge. Rinse well.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-30-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #396  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G’morning, all…

Nice and sunny here today – too bad I’m inside in front of a computer, eh? Friday already, and it looks like the weekend is already chock full of things to do. Something tells me it’s going to be Monday in the blink of an eye!

I’m working on developing a healthy, high-fiber, low(er) calorie menu for dh & I. Life has gotten in the way of my cooking over the past few months, and now it’s time to remedy the situation – and to organize my time more effectively so that I can fit everything in – INCLUDING cooking proper meals. Dh has indicated that he will step up to the plate in view of my taking on new consulting work earlier than expected, and is willing to learn how to prepare some staple meals like the black bean patties and pasta sauces and such. That’ll help.

If that doesn’t work out, maybe I’ll be able to borrow your ds, Rie/Val? (Sharing is caring…. ) Funny story – well, funny to ME: When my son was living out in L.A. and we would talk on the phone, he was always talking about the exotic gourmet meals that he was “making” and how well he and the (now) dil were eating. So, he gets back to Massachusetts, and I’m looking forward to our first meal together that he’s preparing. He tells me the menu includes Asian Chicken, and some other foreign-sounding dishes. Wowza. So, they (he & she) arrive with their bags, and start unpacking all of these frozen entrees from Trader Joe’s – all of which will require a few minutes in the microwave, and Voila! The gourmet dinner is served! Tsk. So much for MY son’s galloping gourmet lifestyle!
Sorry about your back, Chica(s) (you, too, Freda – and Slm, too?) – I get hit about twice a year with it, and the pain is downright debilitating. Never know when it’s going to hit – just go to get out of bed in the morning, and whack! Can’t stand up!

How’re you doing, PT? Any news from sunny Denver?

Mary, I’m sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for your Joe. I hope things clear up soon for him. As for the UTI’s that you & Lyn seem to suffer with so much…well, I’m hoping you get some relief from them, too. I don’t know if it’s useful information, or if it has anything to do with it, but I drink a 12-oz. bottle of diet cranberry juice every day, and don’t seem to ever have any bladder or UTI problems.

I hope the “Y” can meet your needs, Gayle. Do let us know how the tour goes. I wouldn’t have time for classes, either, so that would definitely be a waste of money on my end.

Good luck on your weigh-in Sue. When in doubt, I don’t.

We’re happy to have the “old you” back, K3!

Rosey & Bobbi – I had no IDEA about the cost associated with hunting! That, plus having to do the butchering and packaging? NO THANKS!!! I don’t need yet another “hobby” for dh that means more money going out than coming in!

Marie – rollerblading? I’m scared of you, girlfriend! Wait! Are you SURE you belong to the GG’s? I mean we love you dearly, and you can be a mascot or something, but rollerblading??? I bet you’re only 35!

Hope you feel better soon, Lyn. Seems a little unfair, considering your healthy lifestyle! Hang in there…I’m sending you good thoughts…

Well. Nearly lunch time and I need to do a few things first.
Have a nice day, and fun weekend, y’all!

Z
Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #397  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I tried the recipe for heavy duty oven cleaner this afternoon, it sucks I'm going to bite the bullet and use the self cleaning feature tomorrow. This afternoon I waited for my 2 o'clock tech appointment and they said it was 2 EST. Duh! So I got back on email at 4, our time and sat here for 90 minutes waiting for instruction. The terds never got back to me. Now I'm really mad.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #398  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!
Just a quick note to tell you about a recipe: Roasted butternut squash with maple. I cut it in half, cleaned out the seeds and baked it for about 30 minutes with the cut side down. I then cut it in chunks and put it in a baking dish. I drizzled with a little SF maple syrup and sprinkled with pumkin pie spice and baked for another 30 minutes. It got a little carmelized on the top. Oh wow - it tasted like pumkin pie. So good, I had trouble not having seconds. Very cheap, too, I spent only $2 on it at the farmers market. Just thought I would share. High fiber and the good kind of carbs. I sent some down to mom's and still have 3 portions left.

Zoe, actually some of my friends have been teasing ds about doing a program where he cooked their evening meal. He really likes to cook and has taken my diabetes dx as a personal challenge. He has taught me to like things like roasted garlic, various vegetables, and fish prepared many different ways. I am not sure that I would have made it the last year without him. You are right, sharing is caring but I think I will keep him. LOL The best part is that dgs is learning to eat so healthy. He thinks cucumbers and romaine lettuce are treats.

Movie night here..... I hit the Redbox today. Have a great evening.

Rie
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #399  

Thank God, the MRI came back negative, so no tumor! So now we are just hoping for a rapid recovery...doctor said three to four months, but we hope sooner.

Rie - That's great that your gs enjoys healthy food! Most of my gks eat pretty healthy and one in particular just loves veggies. He actually gets excited when he sees them on the table! LOL MY kids certainly weren't like that but I am thankful that all but one now eats healthy.

Zoe - Maybe I should be drinking more cranberry juice. I just don't care for juice but you have to do what you have to do I guess and the diet kind is low cal/carb. I do take a cranberry supplement daily per doctor's orders but it obviously isn't helping much...

Gayle - Our gym is at a community center near our house. We only pay $48/mo for the two of us and we can attend all the senior classes and some others. There are some we would have to pay for if we want to attend. Plus there is a nice pool and hot tubs etc. which we can use. We really enjoy it.

Bobbi - Eww..that beef sounds terrible! I buy all my beef and most of my chicken at Whole Foods. They have the best meat IMHO. Didn't buy there when had a family though as couldn't afford it...probably can't really now but I'm at that time of life that I prioritize differently and I like to spend where it really makes a difference to us.

Tomorrow our youngest dd and two gc will be here. Went shopping for things I hope they will like. Tried not to get anything that will tempt me TOO much though. So far I have never gone off plan with this diet so hope I can keep on that way. Want to finish all my housework tonight so I can be free while kids are here. Still have to mop kitchen floor and clean under family room sofa cushions. I don't know how so much debris get under those cushions but it does! Guess mostly from me too as I'm the one that sits there usually.

I placed my third order (2nd large) with MF today...want to try some new things. Mostly what i have left are soups. I'm keeping bars in the car so if I get caught out I can have my mini-meal. Today I bought some of those sugar-free flavored syrups so I can experiment a bit with the MF foods. There are lots of recipes on the MF website, the forums, and even other dieter's websites.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #400  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

So far, it is a gray and dreary day here. Day 4 of the sulfa meds – 6 more to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Tomorrow the tour of the "Y". They have a membership that is less ~ allows you to use the facilities ~ but not be able to do any of the classes. But that would work out ok ~ with my schedule, I am never off at times when classes are offered anyway.
Hi Gayle,

Not being able to attend the classes because of her schedule is my daughter’s problem with the gym. She and her husband joined a couple of months ago. They are thinking about quitting because they can never get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Came back to read some posts before going to bed. Joe's had a really rough day/evening...his eye is really getting to him...apparently no pain but just annoying and a strain to keep it open and wears him out.
Hi Mary,

Sorry about Joe’s eye. Good news about the good A1C’s. I have not been testing as much as I should – especially now when I have this UTI. I will test this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Oh, wow - my back is so bad this morning that I started working out and had to stop.
Hi Rie,

You are better than I. For the past 3 days, I have gotten up, got dressed, and got to the gym only to turn around and come home. This sulfa medicine (for the UTI) makes me nauseous and weak. New Rule – don’t even try going to the gym until I finish the meds. When I get back, I will need to start over but that is OK. I think I will find a 10K training schedule online and follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
I’m working on developing a healthy, high-fiber, low(er) calorie menu for dh & I. Life has gotten in the way of my cooking over the past few months, and now it’s time to remedy the situation – and to organize my time more effectively so that I can fit everything in – INCLUDING cooking proper meals.
As for the UTI’s that you & Lyn seem to suffer with so much…well, I’m hoping you get some relief from them, too. I don’t know if it’s useful information, or if it has anything to do with it, but I drink a 12-oz. bottle of diet cranberry juice every day, and don’t seem to ever have any bladder or UTI problems.
Marie – rollerblading? I’m scared of you, girlfriend! Wait! Are you SURE you belong to the GG’s? I mean we love you dearly, and you can be a mascot or something, but rollerblading??? I bet you’re only 35!
Z
Hi Zoe,

My eating is so crazy now (trying to avoid things that give me the pain) that I’m down to low-fat cottage cheese, and SF/NF yogurt, and some of “Amy’s” frozen meals. For some reason, I can eat her stuff???

I cannot do cranberry juice because it irritates the esophagus. I am at the point that what is good for one thing in my life is bad for something else!

My Dear/Sweet niece has joined a roller derby group http://skylandrollergirls.com/eeeee/49-bapayne

She will turn 50 in January! NOTE: the photo of her on this webpage is exactly how she looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
I tried the recipe for heavy duty oven cleaner this afternoon, it sucks I'm going to bite the bullet and use the self cleaning feature tomorrow. This afternoon I waited for my 2 o'clock tech appointment and they said it was 2 EST. Duh! So I got back on email at 4, our time and sat here for 90 minutes waiting for instruction. The terds never got back to me. Now I'm really mad.
Hi Bobbi,

I am looking for something to clean my dishwasher. I guess I will NOT use the one that did NOT work on your oven.
I HATE it when I stay home for an appointment and they stand me up. I buy all my computers and other electrical stuff from Best Buy. They have the Geek Squad and they are WONDERFUL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Hello Goldens!
Just a quick note to tell you about a recipe: Roasted butternut squash with maple. I cut it in half, cleaned out the seeds and baked it for about 30 minutes with the cut side down. I then cut it in chunks and put it in a baking dish. I drizzled with a little SF maple syrup and sprinkled with pumkin pie spice and baked for another 30 minutes. It got a little carmelized on the top. Oh wow - it tasted like pumkin pie. So good, I had trouble not having seconds. Very cheap, too, I spent only $2 on it at the farmers market. Just thought I would share. High fiber and the good kind of carbs. I sent some down to mom's and still have 3 portions left.
Hi Rie,

I am going to try this tonight. Sounds like something I will be able to eat. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Maybe I should be drinking more cranberry juice. I just don't care for juice but you have to do what you have to do I guess and the diet kind is low cal/carb. I do take a cranberry supplement daily per doctor's orders but it obviously isn't helping much....
Hi Mary,

You and I are so much alike that we even get our UTI’s at the same time! I saw the urologist yesterday and asked him about what I can do to stop getting them. He said if I get more than 3 a year, he recommends an ongoing antibiotic. I do NOT think I can stand that! It is tough getting old and having to choose between illnesses.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #401  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

AGGREVATION!

I have been to 3 doctors about the pain (esophogeal spasms) that I have been having. Because of the timing (mostly when I eat, but also when I first wake up in the morning), I have pointed out the meds I take in the evening. Each of the 3 doctors said none of the meds would cause this.

I just found info about a research study that found sleeping pills can cause esophogeal spasms. I have been taking sleeping pills for years. NOTE: some other study recommends cannabis as a treatment.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #402  
GmaTo8

Yay, it's October, so hop on over to the new Golden Girls thread.
Closed Thread