Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

I am at 157 today. With only 4 days before 4th of July & with dinner out tomorrow, I don't think I will make my goal :-(

Took my DF to movies. We saw Sex in the City II. I did not like it, but was good to hear her laugh.

Lynn
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #212  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the comments on the picture, folks. As for the grandkiddos keeping me young, Karen3, I’m afraid not – after a day spent chasing around with them, I’m practically ready for a week in bed! Young isn’t a word I would use to describe myself these days. Not even close. I guess I’ve arrived here kicking and screaming, but I’m finally quite content thinking of myself as “old”. And, I’m not sure that there’s anything at all wrong with accepting that. I find that lately, I am feeling glad that my children are all adults, self-supporting, and busy with their lives. I’m less enthusiastic than I once was about big family cook-outs and gatherings, too – I remember when I hosted them, and all the work it took to put them together. Now, I’m happy to just bring my little bowl of potato salad or better still, some marinated ribs or chicken for the grille. Happy to just stay for awhile, and then leave the partying for the younger ones. I find, too, that I am increasingly critical of “the way things are”, and less interested in doing anything about it, where once I would’ve been looking for ways to make a difference. Don’t get me wrong – there’s still SOME life left in these old bones of mine, and I like being outside enjoying nature at the mountains or the seashore (or even in my own backyard) – I like exploring a bit, finding interesting bits of stone and shell and such – but I am less and less interested in social events, and more inclined to want to settle in with a good book. I’m trying hard to motivate myself to some kind of regular exercise, simply because I don’t want to get stiff and creaky…but the motivation isn’t very strong. I’d far rather starve myself to keep off the unwanted pounds than exercise them away, but I’m not terribly successful at doing either one. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think, “Hey. I look alright for someone on the *other* side of sixty. I can give myself a little break here and there.” Then there are those other times when I look in the mirror and just flat out get depressed. Well, enough rambling on, I guess. I’ll post next in July, and hopefully be a little more upbeat.
We were going to go up to York Beach in Maine over the 4th, PT – just DH & I, but thought better of it, what with it being the holiday weekend, and bound to be crowds everywhere. We talked about maybe going to Horseneck Beach in Westport, MA, which isn’t quite so touristy, but if we do go, it’ll be a day trip, probably on Saturday. All the hotels/motels have jacked their prices up to absurd extremes, and while I enjoy pampering myself on occasion, I’ll be darned if I’ll pay five-star prices for a three-star room. I’d rather drive for an hour and a half. So, my mini-vacay will mostly be spent at home, which is actually okay with me. DH will be at Old Sturbridge Village all day Friday, and I believe I’ll pack myself a little lunch and spend three or four hours at the lake reading and enjoying my own company. Then he and I will go to the ocean on Saturday, possibly (although I haven’t made up my mind yet) to my daughter’s (the one who lives 50 miles away from us) for a cook-out on Sunday, and then I’ll have Monday & Tuesday to choreograph as I feel like at the time.
Freda, yup. That’s it exactly, with the bathing suit issue. And I want to kick myself, because people in all shapes and sizes are out there in bathing suits…I mean, who’s going to be looking at me, anyway?
Hi Lynn – see you when your course ends!
Gayle, it sounds to me like your DH knows how to get under your skin, so you have to just not LET him do it. Frankly, I don’t consider it any of my DH’s business whether I lose or gain, exercise or not. I mean, he’s no Mister America himself. I figure my weight, and what I do – or don’t do – about it is up to me, so I don’t even discuss it with him. Maybe you should give some thought to not including YOUR DH in any discussion of your weight loss efforts?
Good luck with your garage sale, Rosey! (Omigawd, what a LOT of work! I hope you make a fortune!)
Mary. Yup. Bathing suits and I have NEVER gotten along, either!
Hiya Bobbi. Yes, a sarong sort of wrap-thingie would make sense. Actually, in my current frame of mind, the best thing I could do would be to buy myself a pup tent and wrap up in that! See you on the July thread – thanks for starting it!
Isabella? You there? You okay?
Karen31, now every time I think of you, I think of you bobbing about in that pool of yours! I’ve never really enjoyed pools much – always preferred the ocean – but you never know. It sure looks like you’re having a ball in yours, and I must admit that the idea of walking outside my house a few feet to get to it is awfully appealing right about now.
So, have a good day, everyone…see you next month!

Z
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #213  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Ooooooop, my bad!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 06-30-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #214  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Almost time for a new picture and a new color! AND, summer is 1/3 OVER, which is something to celebrate!!

PT/Zoe, I might have to come to visit you and smack you! You're slim and chic (very chic!) and beautiful! I don't think you need a pup tent! I'm still at the circus tent level, so, to me, you're wee and petite! You said you're on the "other" side of 60... what does that mean, because you look like you're about 50! Insofar as me and bathing suits, as I've said, I don't take my clothes off for ANYONE and I think subjecting the general population to such would be almost criminal! The mere thought has upset me so that I think I should just go back to bed!

Put myself and the cat on the dreaded scale this morning. He's down a bit, and I'm up a bit. Less food for me and more food for him, I guess. He's so old that I monitor his weight regularly. I don't want him to blow away in a puff of fur.

Bobbi, I discovered Housecall when I had a stubborn Trojan virus, and it took care of that. The Malawarebytes came about because I was curious about all the crap that's running in the background, and it took care of that. McAfee is my regular virus program. I rotate them, to cover all my bases. I used AVG free for years, then made the mistake of buying the software. I was NOT happy with that program and went to McAfee. AVG free is good and well rated.

Blather today! Nothing to report... I'll dig through the pictures for a suitable July offering.

Everyone, have a lovely day! Does anyone have Isabella's private email? I hope she's okay! See you next month!!

Last edited by jess1; 06-30-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...Haven't seen the sun in 2 days and it is so humid feels like walking under water outside. The a/c elecrtric bill will be hugh! Looked at the weather map and these clouds are all the way up the East coast and are from Alex.

Happy Birthday Lynn according to Bobbie

Bobbie....I love real sweet tea, but haven't tasted it in years. Sweet tea is ice tea made with a simple sugar syrup. Can't wait to read your recipe as I have to make it for company frequently. Sighhhh there are lots of real things haven't tasted in years like real maple syrup, real bacon.....

Zoe....I have never even thought about my age until the big 62 came up and I went in mourning. Threw me the curve most people got at Big 3 0. But must admit that this one coming is also rocking my boat. OMG my grandmother wasn't this old when we got married. Seventy!!!! Can we skip July? Bathing suits..ha I buy them out of a catalog so that no one sees me struggling and whining...yup have whole pile of ugly ones in the closet. The thing that blew my mind was the hiden security cameras in dressing rooms....

Running late...gotta get a shower and get to bridge....hugs karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 06-30-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi, I was just looking and I see Lynn's birthday as April 11th in the list of birthdays. If that is wrong HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNN.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #217  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that Lynn and I are both in April. Unless she was maybe wanting an extra birthday this year, Bobbi? That would be just what I need, too! (Not).
PT, you are way too kind. Really. Seriously.
I hope someone does have Isabella's email address (maybe Lynn?) because I AM worried.

Z
Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #218  

Morning everyone..gee whiz i was up way to early this am everyones still sleeping..sometimes i just cant turn my mind off and trying to go back to sleep was fruitless..zoe..i can so relate as i love being at home with my puttering around just as happy as can be.. retirement is great and everyday is an adventure of my making..since i became handicapped i find joy in the smallest things..i used to do big events with the whole family but find myself not wanting to do all that work anymore..funny how things change as we get older..gosh did i say that as basicly im still a kid at heart lol..my dh is free with the wloss comments to..sometimes i take it badly but know he means well..as far asthe garage sale my dd doing most of the work a way for her to make some extra cash and i get the benefits of all that good but unnessary junk gone..im off to the dr today for my official monthly weigh in..hope the scales kind..talk later.. rosey ((hugs)))

Last edited by akrosey49; 06-30-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #219  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! It's another beautiful day and for me the temp is just perfect. I mowed the front and back yards with my dh sitting outside teaching me how to do it. LOL I have mowed before but many years ago and if teaching me makes him feel better that's fine. I could have done it myself I think but he did give me some good tips so it's all good. It is very hard for him to not be active. I'm going to try and get him outside to sit in the sun every day for a few minutes from now on as he misses it.

I enjoyed the mowing. It was easier than it used to be too as we have a new mower (bought last year). Did some weeding and hope to do more this afternoon, but needed to rest plus needed to get him inside. He was tired and getting cold as he had to sit in the shade in the front yard. He continued to chill after he got in the house. Turned out I left the back door open and it was only 69 in the house...fine for me but too cold for him. He is very senstive to cool air.

It was good to have him near me in our regular bed last night and made it much easier to care for him, although he still couldn't get comfortable and had to get up a lot. He didn't have pain though but even with sleeping pills could not sleep much. I'm sure it just takes time...they told us total healing takes about 6 months. The swelling has gone down a lot and he is moving his leg much more now. I am just trying to keep him from refracturing it somehow.

AKrosey - I am very happy just puttering around my old house. It's not much to look at...while raising our 4 kids we couldn't afford to fix it up much and since then we have spent most of our money traveling, but I still love my home.

Ellabella - I can relate. I think we just change as time goes by and things that used to be so important sometimes aren't anymore. I used to love to host the big family meals for my kids (only family we have nearby but since we had 4 kids and they now have their own families it's getting to be quite a group the rare times when we are together) but any more I don't mind if one of them wants to do it instead. I find I am adjusting to just helping out with a dish or two or assisting at the meal rather than doing it all. Now the kids are scattered about so they don't all come home very often. Also just in general I have learned to do the things in my life that I really enjoy or that are important to me and let the rest go.

I am extremely fortunate that I have a dh who still loves me just like I am and puts up with me. He supports my weight loss efforts although I don't think he has always fully appreciated my struggles at it as he has never had trouble with discipline like I do. But he is beginning to understand even that now and I have no doubt of his love and desire for my best.

Karen, I feel like I've given up a lot of foods I loved too...but I haven't all. I still eat a little chocolate, a few cookies, and bacon now and then and I am gradually learning not to gorge on the cookies or nuts. It's only a problem is there are a lot of them, so I try to limit what I have in the house. It's when my dh brings home a large container of nuts or I bake cookies that I run into trouble...still working on that. I prefer to eat a little bit of the healthier food though than use the non-fat, low-fat, light versions of everything. I am not so sure that the artificial sweeteners...even Splenda are good for us so I actually prefer a little maple syrup now and then to all the no-sugar kind, but I do have to limit it due to the carbs. Right now I don't have any in the house, but will buy it again. I think the natural stuff is healthier but somethings I guess just aren't meant to eat much of. Like honey...it's a good healthy food but the Bible says to eat a "little" of it. I used to pig out on anything that tasted good to me...I can't do that anymore...

Bobbi - I'm in WA..just across the river from Portland. We had no problem adjusting to retirement either...we keep very busy and LOVE that we can do what we want. I told my dh finally I know what I wanted to be when I grew up...it was RETIRED!

Last edited by maryea; 06-30-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #220  

Hi just got back from the dr..gee that was thr fastest shortest visit ive ever had..in and out.. and i lost 6 # from my last month weigh..so the dr.s scale in anchorage was the same..im happy with that and so was the dr..sun is shining so im going out on the deck and get some sun..ttfn rosey
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #221  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

KarenFL, is your birthday listed on our Golden Girls Birthday Section? If not, please add it, because we LOVE to sing happy birthday to the lovely ones!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #222  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

220 post for June, I think that's a record. Kinda shows how determined everyone is at staying OP, GREAT!
See you at the July thread.......
Closed Thread