Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #76  
GmaTo8

Hello ladies,

A big to Grace and Julie! I can see that the others have already given you a big welcome, too, along with some good advice. Stick around and you will continue to be supported here. I look forward to knowing you both better.

Linda - we have some Amish people around here, too, and I often think they know something we don't. I love to eat in their restaurants, but try to stay out of them, lol. Like you, I am usually glad to have some peace and quiet when the grands go back home, lol. Thank you for the kind words re my weight loss. I have started a "Too Big" rubbermaid box for some jeans and things already, and wow, that makes me feel good. You are such a source of inspiration to me!

Trish - first of all, big Congrats for your new little grandson! What's his name? I bet you just can't wait to hold him. New babies smell so good! About me leaving, well, I just couldn't leave this thread. The members are so sweet, and you've all become like family to me. I really like the others at Golden Girls, too, and after receiving some heartfelt PMs, I decided I want to make time to be here.

Maezie/Doris - which would you rather be called? I'm having some friends in for lunch this week, and will have to do some cleaning that I've let slide while I've been outside having fun. So I know what you mean about spiffying up for company, lol. I've got a sign on my porch that says, "If you came to see me, come on in. If you came to see my house, make an appointment." LOL! Btw, I think I'm confused - how many kids and grandkids do you have?

Carol - good to see you! As I mentioned to Trish, I want to be here. You all are like family. Glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and are getting some closure on the projects. YAY for the water workouts!

Tammy - I'm glad to read that your hubby's bp is more under control. Mother's Day will be here before you know it, but I hope your life isn't too frazzled in the meantime.

Pam - hope you had fun with your hubby this weekend.

Coralee - hope you were able to salvage the bean soup! Did you make it to the library over the weekend?

I had a busy weekend, and a busy week ahead of me, lol. We went over to Mary's yesterday for a bit so I could stock up on some hugs and kisses from the grands. Today and tomorrow I need to get the house ship shape for friends coming for lunch one day this week. We haven't settled on a definite date yet, but probably Thursday.

About the Geneen Roth book, I'm not very far into it yet, but I'll let you know what the concept of it as I go. I do know she's going to be on Oprah May 12th, so mark your calendars, if you are interested.

Have a good day!

Last edited by Jane; 04-19-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning ladies. I have gotten my chores done and then met a friend in town to walk, we are meeting again tomorrow. It is funny to have to drive, 4.5 miles, into town to walk, but its safer and having someone to walk with is great! We live on a very main country road and the trucks zoom on by. My appt with the urologist went ok, this is new dr to me, and he is not real chatty but a very good surgeon, I do have a stone in my right kidney (dr says it shouldn't bother me) and a few small ones in the left, I go back in one year for another xray and appt, unless I have problems. Yes, the pain can be worse than having a baby, most of the time I pass 'sand' which is just a bit uncomfortable.
We had a good weekend, I think my hubby got some much needed rest, we are hoping he gets the go ahead to ditch the crutches and boot from his broken leg (3/8) he may be joining me some in the walking as he has put a few lbs on while recovering. My daughter and grand were here SAt and Sun, we had a double wedding shower on Sun., they live in the Detroit area.
Hubby plowed up the new garden area and we are going to till it up today and maybe plant some things this week. still a chance of frost her till the end of May so we won't be planting much.
Trish, congrats on the new grand baby! we are due for our 3rd in Sept.
I weighed this morning, no loss, but today with the start up of walking I am also getting a handle on my eating, going to write it all down and stop eating junk/fast food for the next several weeks. and weigh once a week.
Welcome to the newbies, I am fairly new here, so i am getting to know the ropes!
About Geneen Roth, she has a column in Good Housekeeping magazine each month. And I see has written several books, I am going to check the library today to see if they have any of her older ones.
Well, I have a bunch of eggs to wash and am determined to finish my bedroom clean out!
have a wonderful Monday!
Pam
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

Good Afternoon--

Really late posting today; had lots of chores to do before I left for work.

Trish: Congrats on the new Grandson; glad everything is ok.

Jane: I'll try to remember to sign as Doris. I have many aliases . I have 2 grown single sons, no grandchildren yet....

Tammy: Good for you for staying away from the scale--I have to work on that.

Pam: Good luck giving up the junk food. It's only been a week, but I'm 90% junkfood free--I do feel so much better and the scale moved so that's a good incentive.

Lunch time is already just about over--have a good day!

Doris
Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #79  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Cottage Thanks for the encouragement. I am not at a point where I can give it up completely, remember baby steps for me, BUT, I think if I can stay with the every 2 week weigh in then it will be a LOT better than daily.

Have a blessed evening all. Tammy
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #80  
GmaTo8

Just a quick note to say hi and to say that I am finding the new Geneen Roth book hard to get through. Somehow, it's not what I thought it would be, and can't recommend it. Maybe it's just me, though.

Have a good day!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #81  

Just dropped by to say Hi--it's going to get cold again later today. That's spring in the Sierras. That's good because I'll get a chance to wear a wool jacket I bought on sale.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Doris
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

Jane, I have only read the intro and just started the first chapter of the book, so can't give an opinion yet.
It has been so nice the last few days here. My daughter is out chisel plowing today and I have gotten my walk in and a bunch of errands done. I am going with my dil for her first ultrasound on the grand baby due in Sept later! they do not find out the sex, its so exciting!
I need to get my gd some lunch so I better get off for now, I will check in tomorrow before my walk, that seems to work better.
Pam
Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #83  
GmaTo8

I'm back...

Pam - regarding the book, it's probably just me. I have been having some trouble concentrating, sleeping, and problems with sadness ever since Jeff died. I bought a book called Overcoming Grief and I think that will help me. How did the ultrasound go? I bet it was so exciting!

Doris - glad you got a bargain on the jacket. Do your sons live close? I've got 2 daughters and a son. The baby daughter and her hubby live next door, and my son is planning to build down the road. (we have family land in the country)

Tammy - hope you're having a blessed evening, too.

Hello to everyone else.

I got the tomatoes planted today, and hope we are done with frost. Also got some paperwork finished, and plan to watch LOST with Neal in a bit. Not very exciting, but there it is.

Toodles for now,
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #84  
I am more than weight.

Hello all, well American Idol is over and the sweet tooth is nagging so I decided to come and post here instead!!! So far today good with eating in proper portion size, one of my elderly neighbors who LOVES to bake tarts for us since my hubby cuts her grass for free and does little things for her, gave us chicken salad that was left over from her granddaughter's wedding, so we had it for lunch and supper with wheat crackers and tomatoes, did not over due and it was very good. I find night time to be the hardest to resist the snacking, but baby steps!!!

Pam How exciting to be there for the ultrasound. Well, boy or girl, or we don't know yet? What a blessing! My son and his wife are trying to get pregnant, but she has a lot of female problems, so I told them to not try so hard and if it is meant to be then it will happen.

Jane Glad you'er back!

Ok, time to put the clothes in the dryer, have a blessed evening all. Tammy
Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #85  

Good Morning:

Jane; One son lives about 50 miles away (that's close for out here) and the other one is in Vegas, but he's hoping to move to LA in the fall. He just got a degree in film so he's hoping to find work there. But I don't think it's going to be easy. Luckily he doesn't mind being a food server. The economic situation is dismal around here but the restaraunts are still packed It must be nice to have two of your kids close.

Just another work day ahead--have a great day everyone!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning,
Not much happening here. Every day is about the same when both of us are retired. We have quiet mornings, but I try to have my shower and face on by 8am, otherwise the day slips away.

Dh works on the computer....or plays...and I paint, so we have quiet days also.

Going to the Y for our exercise. Missed Mon and Tue cause I felt like I had a cold and just wasn't up to it. Looking forward to it today so I must be getting better.

Suppose to rain on and off today and tomorrow, so cloudy and dreary outside. It was cold this morning. Looking forward to warmer weather so we can go golfing, and camping.

Jane--glad you're back!

So nice to read all the post. Everyone seems to be doing well. I'm still plugging along and trying to lose to get back to my little bee. Darn these pounds!!

Everyone have a wonderful day!!
Carol
Old 04-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

first, hello to the new voices. I am enjoying getting to know y'all.
The kid and I went shopping at Sam's this morning. We bought enough for 4 weeks, (with luck). both of us are watching our food choices now, so we were able to say -- when tempted.. that's full of fat or full of sugar!. This worked fairly well. the big plus of a big box grocery store is that it takes us quite a while to walk around it. I counted that as today's exercise. Two hours walking in air conditioning. Heaven. Soon I am going to have to either exercise in the morning like at 6:00 AM or do it in the dark. or.. bite the bullet and start swimming.

Jane - I used to do quite a bit of grief counseling. I am glad that you recognize that it will take a while to heal. Reading the books helps, as does sharing feelings with good friends.
Doris - I know what you mean about distances being measured differently in the west. a 50 mile difference in New England could mean your child lived 2 states away.
Carol - I can relate to your saying the days are the same after retiring. Some times I have to check the tv schedule to figure out what the day is ... if Bones is on it must be Thursday... no senior moments in FL, nope none.
Pam -chisel plowing???? I am learning so much from you!
have a great evening folks.
Coralee
Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #88  
I am more than weight.

Coralee-being from south Louisiana I know what you mean about walking early when it's hot, in the summer we are out the door between 4:45 and 5 am and it's HOT, now, it's nice so we take advantage and enjoy it while we can.

Had a great day at work, busy all day, my feet really hurt right now so I will be going put them up in a little while.

Have a blessed evening all. Tammy
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #89  
GmaTo8

Happy Earth Day.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning! It's turning out to be a beautiful day, now that the thick fog has finally burned off. I babysat until late last night and had to drive home in it, and it was pretty eerie.
I don't have to go in until after noon today and am enjoying my morning off. I just had a good walk around the yard and am delighted to discover my beets and onions popping up. It's such fun to check the garden every few days and see what's happening. The lettuce and Swiss chard are ready to pick, and rhubarb should be ready shortly. This is the first time we've ever tried to grow brussels sprouts and cauliflower, but they seem to be flourishing and we're keeping our fingers crossed. In another week or so, it will be warm enough to plant my flower gardens and get the rest of the veggie garden planted.

Jane, thanks for the reminder - Happy Earth Day!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 04-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Closed Thread