Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #316  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Bobbi, I LOVE the new photo!

The new recipes sound wonderful!

I'm full of optimism and good cheer and RESOLVE! Yeah!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #317  

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.. I haven't quit. Barely started. Tomorrow is my weigh-in but I don't expect a huge change thanks to Christmas. Maybe next week will be better.

I've been moving books from my bedroom into the study, and getting better organized. Also, went into the garden and weeded for a while today.

Linda
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #318  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Zoe...enjoy your vacation, it's a good time to get organized and set your mind to getting back OP. I think getting our minds out of the Christmas Party/food mode is the hardest, especially if we have Christmas sweets laying around. DH has eaten everything I had in the freeze except for one candy coated fudge ball, he'll finish that off today.
Hi Freda.....you getting around better now? Hope you can join us in the miles aross the country.
Sue...Wonderful news, grama for the 1st time.They are so much fun to spoil!
Karen & Jess, thanks for noticing my new picture, I was tired of the old one.
Isabella...One pound is no big deal, salt sure does mess with us. The morning after I ate the salty squash fries I was up to 131 pounds, today I'm back down to 128. Go Figure?I second that hurrah Sue... Onederland is great!
Quote:
Hi everyone. I just noticed that Sue (Institches) has reached Onederland!!! Yeah, Sue!!! Well done my lady.

I weighed in this morning just to check things out and I'm up a pound. Not bad for all the salt I consumed on Saturday night along with all the food.

Lynn...are you headed out West on your 'Exercise across the country'? I love this new plan, it gives me new life on my exercising progam. My new stepper hasn't been shipped yet so I have nothing to exercise with unless I use my bands. I'll just be checking into the new habit challenge for my one point until January 1st, then drop out. It worked because I already have formed the habit, Thanks!
Carol...congrats on the weight loss
Linda...don't make me jealous, weeding indeed! I love gardening and California is where I'm headed January 1st in the exercise across the country. I'm going to be motivated to put on the miles and get to a warm place, even if it's only in my mind.
Quote:
I've been moving books from my bedroom into the study, and getting better organized. Also, went into the garden and weeded for a while today.
I know I probably missed talking to someone, I have the time to go back over the posts. Catch ya all later.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #319  
Bobbi

Lynn...Yum-o, I just looked at the Barley recipe. I'm going to make it for supper with our baked chicken breast. I have all the ingredients except for golden raisin, I'll just substitue brown raisins. I probably will use Pam cooking spray instead of the olive oil. I was just complaining about my cracked skin around my fingernail because of not enough oil in my body, Geeeez. I just automatically use the lesser calorie spray, another habit that is mostly good. I'll let you know how hubby likes this dish.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #320  
Bobbi

4 Reasons to eat Pomegranates

Quote:
The pomegranate is an extraordinary fruit, steeped in history: the number of seeds (roughly 613) found in a single fruit were said by ancient scholars to correspond to the 613 commands of the Hebrew Torah. Now, renowned herbalist James Duke, a former ecologist with the USDA, has published (in the April, 2008 issue of Alternative & Complementary Therapies) an exhaustive review of the scientific literature on the pomegranate. His conclusion: it is "one of the most promising of health foods" with "a dozen known anti-inflammatory phytochemicals and some 3 dozen antioxidants." Duke found studies that suggest pomegranate fruit and/or juice may help prevent or alleviate:
  1. Heart disease and atherosclerosis
  2. High cholesterol
  3. Prostate cancer
  4. Alzheimer's disease
If you have access to inexpensive pomegranates (as many in the southern U.S. do; the trees grow prolifically with little tending) or can afford the delicious but rather expensive juices now on the market, by all means indulge. And if you can't, remember that deep-colored fruits such as cherries, blueberries and raspberries, and deep-colored vegetables, all offer similar benefits. Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #321  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
My DD made a pomegranate and wheat berry dessert over the holidays. She and I like it - my SIL did NOT.

NOTE: we made a REAL mess trying to get the "seeds" out of the pomegranates. Then found a method online.

Lynn
Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #322  

Good Morning all,

It's cold and wet here, snow on the ground and the roads are slick this morning. Typical Michigan weather. I am feeling much better today. Oh, forgot to tell you, went to the Dr. yesterday with this constant nagging cough and I have pneumonia! Got the Z-pack though and some cough meds and I'll be up and running in no time. I'm getting used to walking without the cast and it's getting better. Foot is still stiff and doesn't always want to move the way I do, but every day is better. The Dr. doesn't want me exercising for 3 weeks, but that will pass quickly and i can join the "walk". I'm trying to decide where i'm walking too. Like Bobbi, it will be somewhere warm.

Bobbi, Lovve the new picture!

Lynn, I'm making that recipe also. Sounds great.

Linda, Something about a new year always makes me want to start clean and fresh too. Don't worry about what happened in the past, today is always a good time to begin again.

Donna, The new look is truly YOU!

Sue, Congratulations!! Being a "grandma" is the best ever! But I'm a "mema". What will the baby call you? And congrats again on getting to "under land". Got the have lots of energy to run those babies!

Z, We got a WII last year for the kids and I want to get the WII fitt too. Anything that is fun makes it easier. Maybe this will be your answer to exercise?

Carol, congratulations on the lb lost. And I've decided that you will NOT get stuck there this time!! There!!! You will continue to lose!

Karen, visited that woman cave yet?

Every, make it a good day,

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 12-29-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #323  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Another vegetarian recipe - Ginger Couscous Primavera - posted in recipe thread up in Sticky area.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #324  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good morning ladies. It's raining again today. I worked out on my bike instead of walking. We're going shopping and I didn't think I'd have time to walk before we went but I would have but then I would have been caught in the rain so everything worked out fine. All our Christmas snow is gone. It's Mother Nature's cruel trick. Winter will be here with a vengeance soon enough and bare lawns and roads will be but a memory.

Bobbi, Karen and Jess your avatars are great. I've been thinking about changing mine. I'm going to look through my pictures to see if there's anything I'd let the whole world view.

Pomegranates cost a fortune here. I think they were selling 2/$4 or $5 and the good pure juice is so expensive you'd want to dispense it with an eye dropper. The mixed juices aren't too expensive, though. The fruit does drop in price sometime during the year and I sometimes buy one or two. They are such a bother to eat but so delicious.

Lynn, I had a look at that barley recipe and I'm definitely going to try that in January. Right now I have so much left-over food that I'm trying to eat that and the weekend will bring another feast. I'm editing this post to let you know I just read Ginger Couscous Primavera recipe. My mouth is watering at the thought of that one, too.

Carol, keep on plan and you'll see changes soon enough. One pound is great, though. I usually lose no more than a pound a week, if that.

Linda, I had to look and see where you lived. Weeding! Haha. I guess Californians can weed year round.

Zoe, sewing those pants is a wonderful accomplishment. I sew but not much anymore. Mainly, I hem pants. Years ago I sewed most of my clothing but not now.

Freda
, I was writing this post when you posted and I missed yours. Take care of yourself, girl. Glad you went to the doctor before things got worse. We'll be looking for you in the new exercise challenge.

My laptop is dying. DS#2 thinks the hard drive is on the way out. We'll have a second opinion when DS#1 gets here tomorrow. It keeps freezing up every few minutes. We received some cash gifts at Christmas that we'll use towards a new laptop. If the computer can be fixed then we'll use the money towards a new chair for the living room. It's time to send the Lazyboy out to pasture.

I weighed again this morning and I'm the same as yesterday. Well not a weight gain again. We were out last night to DH brother's home and my SIL had quite a spread out. I was restrained but tasted the goat cheese and fig tarts and had a few celery sticks with a curry dip. So good. The tart was 65 calories and the dip was about 20 calories. The celery was negligible. I felt so much better than I did Saturday night when I ate like there was no tomorrow.

Have a fabulous day, darlings.

Last edited by retiredone; 12-29-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #325  
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Hi everyone!

Quote:
I put the January Golden Girls up early, I tend to forget.
Zoe...we usually sprinkle ours with a little cajun spices, puts a little kick in them.

French Fries
1/2 butternut squash
kosher salt
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. If you're unfamiliar with handling them, you may have a little trouble at first. They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them. Once your orange friend is peeled and seed-free, slice it in half. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. We like to use a crinkle cutter to make authentic looking crinkle cut fries, but they'll work any way you slice 'em. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but we prefer kosher). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.
Thanks Bobbi - I look for the NEW thread and mark my spot! Thanks for the recipe - looks yummy!

Quote:
I'm putting these on my shopping list now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Another vegetarian recipe - Ginger Couscous Primavera - posted in recipe thread up in Sticky area.
Thank you ladyinweighting - these look like some great recipes. I always like recipes that people have actually tried and like!

Getting back in the swing of things from Christmas - I'm like you Bobbi - a NEW start and new attitude is a MUST!

It is amazing how just a few days, a BIG event can throw us off kilter so easily!

Have a GREAT day everyone!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #326  
Bobbi

The vote is in on the Barley Pilaf, I just made a batch with a couple of changes. Bruce said it was delicious, much better than he imagined.
I ran the ingredients thru Fitday, 6.8 servings @ 118 calories per serving. I had 4 large stalks of celery that needed to be used so I browned the onion with the chopped celery. I also used 0 calorie Pam. The 1/4 tsp. salt I omitted, I'm glad I did because it's very salty with the two bouillion cubes/paste. (I used the paste kind in a jar) I used two Tablespoons raisins and two cut up prunes. Prunes you say, yah. I had two only left in the box and I wanted to use them up too. I noticed raisins have 130 calories in 40 grams and prunes have 100 calories in 40 grams. Why such a difference?
I didn't have quick cook barley, only the regular kind so used only 3/4 cup of dry barley, it came out perfectly cooked with the two cups of broth. I'm not going to put any salt on the chicken breast to off set the salty pilaf. Thanks for sharing the recipe Lynn, sorry I hacked up the original but I think the end results taste the same.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #327  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick entry...

Bobbi, you said you ran ingredients through Fitday to get caloric information... Do you have a premium membership? I haven't seen anything like that on my free site, and it would be very helpful!

Glad you like my Atavar. It IS me!!

Gotta run. Have a good one, All!

Last edited by jess1; 12-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #328  
Bobbi

Jess...yes, I purchased the premium Fitday, I can't remember how much it was but worth the cost. I use it for everything I make. It certainly takes the guess work out of dishes and so handy to add to my 'favorite' list to have handy. I couldn't live with out the paid version.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #329  
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Maxine Rocks!

Bobbi - I just wanted to compliment you on the Maxine quotes you put in your signature - they are such a HOOT!

Thank you!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #330  

Morning everyone..we had a wonderful xmas..i was not good in my food choices..for the 1st time that i can remember the thought of something sweet makes me go ugh..back to normal today..i congrats to all who did so well ..my grson who is 13 decided to spend his xmas vacation with us and hes so much fun..ive yet to beat him at a game of mexican dominos our neighbors dog got in our yard and tore up our willie dog..he spent the night at the vet lots of stitches yikes poor dog looks awful..we have trouble with these folks befor and now we have a big bill and a mamimed dog..maybe the st troopers can get them to do something.. we filed a report with them..the new recipes sound interesting..ive never eaten a pomagranet or cooked with barley..hoping we all have a great start in the new year rosey
Closed Thread