Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #76  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi. I'm back again today. Had to add something to my grocery list and am taking a couple of minutes to post.

Yoyo, what a great idea about the weights. I'm going to add them to my shopping list for today. I'm not doing so great with my last few pounds (even when not sampling wedding food) so that might be just the kick start I need to get going again.

Bobbi, I love strawberries. I bought 4 pounds on Sunday and we ate the first two pounds by Monday just out of the hand. Today I started on the second two pounds and will buy more today. Yum. I love them with rhubarb in pie but the crust is the killer.

Must run. Have a bundle of things to finish before I get to go shopping.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #77  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Just popping in to say hello before my before work nap. Back to work tonight. Enjoy the days off, the working days not as much ~ sigh.

Welcome Joy.

Hope you all are doing well.

Take care
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 154/152/120

Height: 4' 10'

Good Morning Girls....
Everyone is so busy busy... I need to go get my walk in here is just a few. But am logging all my food every day. My husband, bless his skinny little heart, is fixing his own dinner before I get home from work so I don't have to be around the food. I just have to do my thing in the evenings, that is so much less temptation. He is one of "those people" that never gain an oz. no matter what he eats... makes me just sick. Have a blessed day all. Joy
Old 06-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #79  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good afternoon....we finally brought MIL back from Rochester hospital this morning and got her settled into her new room at the nursing home.
All husbands are skinny, I hate it. Gotta run!

Quote:
My husband, bless his skinny little heart, is fixing his own dinner before I get home from work so I don't have to be around the food. I just have to do my thing in the evenings, that is so much less temptation. He is one of "those people" that never gain an oz. no matter what he eats...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Quiet day. Eating right - counting calories - losing weight

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 06-24-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #81  
Bobbi

Lynn...thanks for posting a new challenge. I do much better in challenges rather than just posting my daily stats. I'll start on it monday.
We all get heavier as we get older
because there's a lot more information in our heads.
So I'm not fat, I'm just really intelligent and
my head couldn't hold anymore so it started
filling up the rest of me.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #82  

Hi Everyone,

My DD is REALLY suffering - breaks my heart. She must use a cream that is burning off the skin on her face to deal with the cancer. She's on day 5 - 9 more days to go.

Tonight we're supposed to visit my sister/nieces for their dancing school's recital. We'll see if my DD is able to make the trip.

Had pizza with DD & SIL last night - up a pound this morning.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #83  
Bobbi

Good Morning.... A quick wave and I'm out of here. It's suppose to be in the high 90's and so far the humidity is at 94%. I gotta get out and help DH weed the garden before we fry out there.
Lynn...sorry to hear about DD, I didn't know she had skin cancer.

Quote:
My DD is REALLY suffering - breaks my heart. She must use a cream that is burning off the skin on her face to deal with the cancer. She's on day 5 - 9 more days to go.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #84  

Hi everyone sry i have been mia..my laptops in the fix shop and today im using my dh puter in the back bedrm..he has to fold up my wheel chair and push it thru the door as it doen't fit and then i follow with my walker its a lot of work so only use this puter when im having severe with drawals..ive had my yearly physical and my dr and i have discussed my having wgt loss surg.. we are exploring the idea and having tests done and will see a surg to see if i can have this and if my ins will pay..last winter was difficult for me and i didnt get out much..its alot of work for my dh and im looking to the future and know he will not be able to help me get out..i dont want to be a sick old lady stuck in her house..loosing weight would help my health and mobility but my wgt stays the same and exercise is dificult with my legs and feet not working so my dr has suggested the bariatric surgury..i know its a tool but used correctly it could improve my life dramtically now and in the future..so im pursuing this.. alot of if's right now and its a long process..ive had some of the tests allready and more to come..i hope you will support me in my decision..i cant tell you how i admire all of you and your accomplishments in loosing your weight..this is a big decision for me..lynn am so sry about your dd bobbie its a nice cool 68* here today but the suns out hope u all have a great weekend rosey
Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone sry i have been mia..my laptops in the fix shop and today im using my dh puter in the back bedrm..he has to fold up my wheel chair and push it thru the door as it doen't fit and then i follow with my walker its a lot of work so only use this puter when im having severe with drawals..ive had my yearly physical and my dr and i have discussed my having wgt loss surg.. we are exploring the idea and having tests done and will see a surg to see if i can have this and if my ins will pay..last winter was difficult for me and i didnt get out much..its alot of work for my dh and im looking to the future and know he will not be able to help me get out..i dont want to be a sick old lady stuck in her house..loosing weight would help my health and mobility but my wgt stays the same and exercise is dificult with my legs and feet not working so my dr has suggested the bariatric surgury..i know its a tool but used correctly it could improve my life dramtically now and in the future..so im pursuing this.. alot of if's right now and its a long process..ive had some of the tests allready and more to come..i hope you will support me in my decision..i cant tell you how i admire all of you and your accomplishments in loosing your weight..this is a big decision for me..lynn am so sry about your dd bobbie its a nice cool 68* here today but the suns out hope u all have a great weekend rosey
HI Rosey,

You know we support whatever decision you make. By the way - I just read an article about how weight loss surgery helps folks fight diabetes. I will try to find it.

Take care of yourself. We are here for you.

Lynn
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #86  
Bobbi

Sorry to hear of your difficultys Rosey, I second what Lynn says, we'll be here for you. I see you have the same birthday I do, May 24th, happy belated B'DAy!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #87  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Working on my CEU's for my nursing license renewal. Family went to the beach ~ Grrr at myself for keeping forgetting to work on the CEU's and then having to miss out on fun stuff. Hopefully next time I will have my act together better.

Munching on vegies and dip ~ a good choice one moment at a time

Rosey ~ what Lynn and Bobbi said ~ we'll support you ~ you have to do whatever is best for you.

Hope you all are doing well and having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #88  

Default Weight Loss Surgery & Diabetes Article

How Weight Loss Surgery Helps Diabetes

Study Explains Why Surgery Improves Blood Sugar Levels Even Before Patients Lose Weight

By Salynn Boyles

WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDSept. 2, 2008 --

Obese diabetes patients who have gastric bypass weight loss surgery often show dramatic improvement in blood sugar control within days, long before significant weight loss occurs.

The reversal of type 2 diabetes tends to occur much more rapidly than with gastric banding, and a new study may help explain why.

The findings could also advance the search for better diabetes treatments that target the small intestine and not the pancreas, researchers say.

"It is increasingly clear that the intestine is not just a conduit for food transit," gastric bypass surgeon Francesco Rubino, MD, tells WebMD. "We now know that it is also a very important organ for the regulation of glucose."

Intestine Produces Glucose
Several recent studies have suggested that weight loss surgery is a more effective treatment for type 2 diabetes in obese people than standard treatments for the disease.

Because weight loss alone cannot explain the rapid remission of disease in many gastric bypass patients, researchers have looked for other causes.

One theory has been that surgery alters the expression of hormones that help control appetite, blood sugar, and weight.

But studies designed to test this hypothesis have proven contradictory, diabetes researcher Gilles Mithieux tells WebMD.

In their newly published study, reported in the September issue of the journal Cell Metabolism, Mithieux and colleagues looked elsewhere for answers.

"We know from earlier work that the small intestine can produce glucose," he says. "We showed that with gastric bypass surgery you essentially double the capacity of the intestine to do this."

By studying mice treated with either gastric bypass or banding, researchers confirmed that the bypass operation was associated with increased production of glucose, or blood sugar, in the small intestine, while gastric banding was not.

Gastric bypass surgery essentially produces a "double intestine," Mithieux says. The portion of the small intestine that is closest to the stomach is bypassed so that it no longer received nutrients. The lower small intestine is then attached to the stomach where it becomes the main nutrient receiver.

By surgically repositioning the lower small intestine, which usually does not produce much glucose, it ramps up intestinal glucose production and improves insulin sensitivity, he says.

Treating Diabetes With Surgery
Rubino tells WebMD that the findings offer important insights into the role of the small intestine in blood sugar regulation.

"This doesn't tell the whole story, but it appears to be an important piece of the puzzle," he says.

The gastric bypass surgeon is a strong advocate of using the surgery as a first-line treatment for type 2 diabetes -- a position that remains controversial.

He directs the diabetes surgery center at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

"Surgery promises to be one of the most powerful resources we have to fight this disease," he says. "I don't think it will be the answer for everyone. But for patients with the right profile, the results can be remarkable."

Rubino believes that the surgery can help not just diabetic patients who are morbidly obese, but also people who are overweight but don't weigh enough under current guidelines to be considered for the gastric bypass procedure.

"We hope to study this to see if surgery is better than conventional treatment in patients who are moderately obese or just overweight," he says.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #89  
Bobbi

A quick wave and I'm outta here, I have to get out and do some weeding in the garden before it gets too hot. Lynn, I'll have to read your article later. I'm starting back on my diet regiment today, geeeeeeeeeezz, I jumped on the scale this morning and I want to throw up. I'll confess on the challenge thread later today.
Be back later
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #90  

Hopefully, my last downer post for a while - My DD was VERY sick today - she took some pain pills in the middle of the night without eating (her face is burning and blistering from the cream) and the pain meds made her sick all day today.

Also, today is the 3rd anniversary of the death of my Dear Husband.

I will be VERY happy when this month is over!

Lynn
Closed Thread