Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #106  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
We're all happy to see the end of Ike, hope we hear from everyone soon. Pampgal, thanks for checking in.
I was dreading the scale this morning, been on a plateau for 13 days. Everyone reaches a plateau now and then but what frustrates me is the "no cheating" rule I go by. My accountability posting is very accurate, right down to the last gram I eat. Sometimes I have to change it in the morning if I've eaten something in the middle of the night. I googled "Plateau" and posted one of the messages about it. This one came from a site wanting you to join them, called Diet Bites. I haven't checked into it, just copy/pasted the information about reaching a plateau. I did have a happy scale this morning, finally the scale went down.: I would like to have shortened the message but thought it was all important. Have a great Sunday everyone.

Quote:
Weight Loss Plateau - Demon?
"What exactly does all the diet plateau stuff mean?" Learn what it is, why it occurs, and how to make it dance.
Visualize, if you will, what a REAL plateau looks like. It's flat on top, and slanted on the sides. When a person begins a diet, we tend to look at the
journey as 'an uphill climb'.

The dieter begins to experience weight loss over a period of time. The rate of weight loss, and the amount of time, both vary according to the dieter's metabolism rate, current weight, and genes - just to name a few fear factors.
At this point, everything is fine in Dodge City. Then something terrible happens! Gasp! The monstrous Weight Loss Plateau Demon suddenly appears into the individual's diet. Weight loss virtually stops. There may not be a green light visible for many days, possibly weeks.

The dieter gets weary and may even give up hopes of losing weight and quit their diet. It is at this point that the dieter is walking on the flattop of the Weight Loss Plateau. Sometimes, it's worse than the Valley of the Shadow of Death. Okay. Not that bad, but bad.
But, for those determined dieters who wait things out, and keep on track - suddenly, the Diet Race is on again!
Weight begins to quickly melt off and all is well in Dodge City again.
Always remember:
a) good things come to those that wait; and
b) Good Diet Guys wear white hats.
Many times, a dieter will walk to the end of the Weight Loss Plateau and slide down - meaning that they experience a dramatic, sudden drop in weight.
This feeling is better than 2 slices of black forest cheesecake. Okay....1 slice. It's hard to beat that '2-feeling', isn't it?
Quick Recap:
The point is that the benefits of riding out the Weight Loss Plateau are Diet Gold - and the reward is generally a dramatic weight drop in most dieting individuals!
Why plateaus are good!How in the Blue Diet Devil can a weight loss plateau be good?
Yes indeedy! When the body temporarily shuts down, it's a very good thing. Although, if the dieter had anything to say about it, they would tell the body, "Let's get to losing weight again, okay!"
But sometimes (actually more times than not), the body is smarter than our brain. The plateau is a built-in safety net that prevents self-destruction.
What to do when you're on a plateau.For gosh sakes, don't stop and enjoy the view or you might get run over by a stray donut with chocolate sprinkles.
Don't stop and smell the roses either, because there aren't any on top of the old Weight Loss Plateau.
It's a desolate area filled with heathen snakes, biting flies, poison ivy and sometimes barbaric acts such as sweaty exercise. Yes, exercise will help you walk safely over the Plateau.
Some other things you can do to survive this treacherous journey include:
Strengthen your Willpower. You must be stronger now, than ever before to succeed.
But sometimes (actually more times than not), the body is smarter than our brain. The plateau is a built-in safety net that prevents self-destruction.
Ask yourself: "How many calories am I eating per day?"
"Do I need to reduce those in order to go forward, or am I where I need to be?"
"Is this truly a Weight Loss Plateau that I am on and not a box of donuts that I've hidden underneath my bed that I sometimes feast upon when no one is watching?"
"Or, am I eating basically the same foods day-in and day-out?"
"If so, might I change those up a bit in order to boost the old metabolism?"
"Am I exercising enough?"
"Am I walking at least 10 minutes straight every other day?"
"If I don't like or enjoy walking, what other activity would be fun - something that I can stick with to strengthen by body and that will work hand-in-hand to accomplish weight loss?"
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #107  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Pamp, that is remarkable about your power!!! I'm jealous!!! So happy you didn't have any major problems. MIL got a call here yesterday that their house is ok too...just a blown in bay window, some shingles and a fence..could have been so much worse for them. They aren't supposed to get power back for a week, so she will be staying here with us and my BIL and SIL who she has lived with since Katrina, will stay with SIL's sister in Baton Rouge.

I spent another 3 hours this morning re-cleaning up from Gustav with Ike added it. They had not yet picked up the debris piled in front of the house from Gustav when Ike blew it around all over again, then added more...luckily the largest limbs stayed stacked up. Hope this is the last of the weather. My birthday was yesterday and I don't ever remember having a hurricane after that.

Had to go to a workshop yesterday, but got to go out last night. My husband gave me a gym membership to a new club here that is unreal...more like a country club with huge pool surrounded by palm trees, a great bar, snack bar etc. They have bands on Friday nights which should be fun. He also gave me a gorgeous black nightgown which is so soft.

The nice thing is that the club opens at 5 am, so I can be there then, work out, sauna, shower and go staight to work...it's about 3 minutes from my house and work is 6 minutes...the club is between here and school, so it's perfect. Can't wait to start in a couple of weeks.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #108  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Bobbi, thanks for posting that quote about a food plateau. There is hope!! And I saw your accountability thread and woohoo, you've broken the plateau.

Oh, Cat, we're all going to be jealous of your gym membership. Sounds wonderfully pampering and so conveniently close to both home and school. And the black nightgown, is it really for you or for him???
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone! WOW!! Congrats Bobbi! that is Wonderful!! I know you have to be walking I was excited to see 1 pound gone this last week! I hope that gives me the that I need to get this program moving again!

It is way too quiet around here today! I hope everyone is doing good. Still waiting to hear from Gayle!

Everybody ---- Take care!!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #110  
Isabella

Gayle is probably still without power. What a storm!!!

What a quiet thread even today. It's a bit chilly here this morning but not raining yet as we're promised. The wind is blowing and it's beginning to feel like autumn today. I know lots of people love the turning leaves but I hate fall. I know the leaves are pretty but it means winter will soon be here and we get a long one. Fall to me is like the last couple of weeks before school starts, or the day before a root canal. It's just a harbinger of worse things to come. Give me spring and summer all year round. My ancestors landed in the wrong place. But of course we don't have extremes in weather conditions like drought and wide-spread flooding or hurricanes and tornadoes but we do have snow storms and blizzards. Oh, enough of that rant. I'll have myself in a winter depression for no reason at all, hahaha.

Nothing planned for today except to get this house cleaned up a bit. I was somewhat hampered by the sore thumb this weekend so a few things piled up. DH was outside most of yesterday, piling wood and cleaning up the yard but last night he helped me unload and load the dishwasher so the kitchen's not too bad. Our bedroom on the other hand...well, let's say it's a hard hat area right now.

Have a great day and catch you all later on.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #111  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Summer is back in NS today -- quite warm and very humid -- also lots of wind and threatening rain. Luckily I have lots of inside stuff to get done.

It is pretty quiet all over 3FC at the moment for some reason.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #112  
Bobbi

Hi Girls, I'm just a flash in the pan this morning. I'm gulping down my Fiber One/Peach/skim milk then out the door. The dentist want's to redo the impression he made of my teeth? I'm having 4 porcelain fronts put on for $3,400. Geeeeeeeeeezz, DH should have been a dentist. Bye!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all.......Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, there are NO named storms on the weather map. First time in over a month. That sound you hear is me knocking on wood.

Am trying to get a summer cold or allergy. Throat is sore and head aches. Don't have time for this.

Dh went fishing this morning....so dinner will probably be hamburgers! hugs, Karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 09-15-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #114  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Ladies, After reading the posts I hate to even say we've had bad weather. We just got the tail-end of the storm. Lots of rain and wind and a lot of flooded basements. I was lucky, mine didn't get wet, but I was concerned about my sons. They live about 4 miles from me and it's a floodwater zone. He does have 2 sump pumps but they have had problems in the past. Got a tornado a few miles from here too. No deaths but it did a lot of damage to some apartment buildings. I have the Grands here for a whole week. It's going to be run-run-run. I have to drive them both to school and pick them up. One goes 1/2 day and one full days. Feels like i'm going to be on the road all day. Plus all the after school activities. Son and DIL had to go to Waco, Texas for training. Any of you from there know how far that is from the danger zone?

Bobbi, I know you are terribly relieved about DD. I believe prayers work and she had lots. Good to hear that you finally broke that plateau. I know everyone goes through it, but when it's you intelligent thinking just kind of goes away. We can tell everyone else not to worry but we want the weight off NOW!!! I know i was even tempted to take ALLI when I was plateauing! Desperate measures! How cool are you going to look with the new Porcelian fronts!!

Pump, so glad to hear that you are ok.

Gayle, Praying that things are ok with you. Please let us know when you can.

Cat, Thanks for letting us know you are OK. We were concerned. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!! Nice gift you got there too. The reflection on the screen is me, turning green!

Karen31, YEAH!!! you are on a downward trend!! Keep it up!!

Karen3, Hope you're feeling better soon. I think stress really lowers the immune system and opens us up to infections. Try to eat well. I know you said you hadn't been getting enough calories.

Isabella, Hope the thump is getting better!

Make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #115  
Isabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Dh went fishing this morning....so dinner will probably be hamburgers!
So funny. Hope you're feeling better this afternoon.

Well the gray, fall skies have dissipated and blue skies with big white puffy clouds have replaced them.

Karen31, congratulations on the 1 pound.

Freda my thumb is getting a little better each day but I still know it's there. Have fun with you DGC this week, they'll keep you young and active.

Bobbi, with the prices of dental work we all should have been dentists. I have a crown to get done when my insurance company approves of the procedure but I'll have a great chunk of money to pay out of pocket besides the insurance coverage. You'll have a beautiful movie star smile when they've finished with your mouth. But you have a beautiful smile now, you know.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 210/173/135

Height: 5'6''

Hello Chickies

Last week was obviously a lost cause for me to check-in or chat at all. So sorry.
Anyway just spent some time catching up with last week's events.

Bobbi so glad that your DD is okay. What a scare! Thanks too for the plateau info and a big congrats on moving down the scale too. You rock

Yo-Yo thank you so much for your concern for my DD and for thinking of me during Hanna. We were very blessed-- no problem.
Good luck on your interviews. Change can be tough , especially when it involves a major change as your employment. Your positive attitude will carry you far. Have fun getting a new "skinny" suit.

Karen 31 Thanks for the lovely view, loved the photo.

Karen 3 Wow !!! your food descriptions just kill me. I think that I was caught licking the monitor after reading your menus

A big hello to the many lovely Chickies : Freda, Rosey, Cat, Isabella, Meowee , Glynne ,

May all have a good week and thank you for thinking of me. You all have been on my mind too.

Eileen
Cute n Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #117  

Height: 5' 8"

hi all

Really late to the party today and just have time for a "touch and go" flyby.

Meetings, meetings, meetings - figuring out logistics for the move, updating job descriptions so they can hire people. Plus everyone starting to come down with "short-timers" syndrome and spending more time laughing and joking than accomplishing anything (including me ).

So glad to hear our Gulf Coast GGs came through the storm with a lot of major inconvenience but no major damage!

I'll try and catch up a little better tomorrow. Stay safe and well all.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 150/150/130

Height: 5'5"

Good evening, Ladies, (I assume this site is all ladies?!)

Still new here, and still not sure where to show up to say much of anything, but this thread is always so uplifting. Just on this (last) page for today, the weight loss for 9 women is 316lbs!!! And that doesn't include Cat's weight loss - from size 16 to 6! Nice! Very, very nice!

I haven't lost a pound yet - weigh in is Friday. However, accountability is a word sitting in my conscious mind these days. If nothing else, I'm remembering I am at least 100% accountable to myself!

The weather in PA is feeling fall-ish. Mid 70's, breezy, humidity gone!!! Great gardening weather if I could ever get out there!

- No pre-school tomorrow, so I get to go shopping w/my DD and newest GS (Jacob 10wks). DD starts back to work on the 29th. Lucky for her, she'll only have to work a couple days a week - lucky for me, those are my two off days, and I'll get to have him!

(I think I'll feel a bit more "official" here once I'm past my new member status. Maybe by then, I'll have a pound or two I can track as lost In the meantime, it feels weird just jumping into a conversation. Oh well . . . )
Rin Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Welcome Rin Renee!! Just jump in and we're glad to have you here with us! My weigh in days are also on Friday.. Have you checked out the accountability thread? You can find it here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150430
It really does seem to help to keep tabs!

Thanks everyone for the congrats on the lost pound!!! I am so happy to get out of the 150's now I just need to stay out of them!!

Hope everyone has had a good day and I'll check back tomorrow!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #120  
Bobbi

Thanks everyone for all your prayers about DD. I agree Freda, they work.
Quote:
Freda…I know you are terribly relieved about DD. I believe prayers work and she had lots.

Isabella, you're lucky you have dental insurance, we don't. I've been putting this work off for about 5 years. My teeth are in good shape for an old bag like me but very coffee stained. I had a root canal a few years ago and that tooth is getting dingy looking. I decided to take care of me for once, have the 4 porcelain lumineers put on.

Quote:
Bobbi, with the prices of dental work we all should have been dentists. I have a crown to get done when my insurance company approves of the procedure but I'll have a great chunk of money to pay out of pocket besides the insurance coverage. You'll have a beautiful movie star smile when they've finished with your mouth. But you have a beautiful smile now, you know.

Awe Gee, thanks!
I must have my head in the clouds Karen3, I missed the crack about hubby fishing.
Quote:
Dh went fishing this morning....so dinner will probably be hamburgers! hugs, Karen3

I dozed off on the couch this afternoon for about 15 minutes, I don't think I've taken a nap in the afternoon since I was a tiny kid. Do any of you gals nap, my MIL naps both morning and afternoons. But she's 88 too. MIL called the last few nights and wants to know where Woody is. (deceased DH)We have to tell her over and over again that he passed away 19 years ago. One good thing we've learned in life is to appreciate our health and mind while we have it. MIL has always been sharp as a tack and a memory like an elephant. Dementia sure has robbed her of many wonderful memories.
I hope the electricity goes back on soon on the coast, the newsman said it could be a week. One of the worst things about no electricity is the toilet, you can't flush it. We were out for 4-5 days one winter because of snow blizzards and I had a permanent ring around my butt from sitting on a pail. Not fun. The part of lighting oil lanterns and cooking on the camping stove was fun. Luckily we had a camp heater so the kitchen only got down to around 50 degrees, the bedrooms much cooler but we had lots of wool blankets. Well, enough reminiscing, Chuck Swindall is on the radio in 3 minutes and I don't like to miss his 30 minute sermons. He has the best sense of humor!
Nighty-Night.
P.S. Welcome Renee! We'll all help you with any questions you have, what kind of plan are you following?